• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Reply chains in the UI

Marauder Fex

See you starside.
Hey again, sorry for so many questions. I've noticed that there's no app for the website, but that's fine, as I've gotten around this by adding the address to my home page. But on the note of the forum and thread UI, was this designed by the staff of RpN, or is this just how the website itself was made?

And if this is a function that can be altered in its format, would it be possible to make it so posts and subsequent replies to original threads could be linked in a chain? I feel like this would be slightly more organized for the website. Granted I've only been here for less than a day, I'm pretty confused with how everyone keeps tabs on who's replying to who.

(I understand that's what tags are for, but any form of indentation to link replies would be pragmatic and visually appealing.)

[QUOTE="Velo Vox]Granted I've only been here for less than a day, I'm pretty confused with how everyone keeps tabs on who's replying to who.

[/QUOTE]
There is a way to reply to individual posts and even sections of posts.

For an individual section, you highlight it and the option to reply comes up.

To reply to a whole post, there is a button in the lower right corner of a post that says 'reply'. And the person you're replying to gets a notification for it.

I appreciate it, but not what I was asking. I understand how quoting works. I suppose it isn't easy without showing what I mean, so I'll do my best to show and describe.

Sime forums use an chain system as opposed to just tags:

Velo posts: Cats!

In a reply, Athena posts: @Velo Vox LOL, Ikr?!?

With the chain system, my post would be followed by a button that Identifies that someone replied to it while simultaneously making an ongoing conversation between the two easier to track:

(1 reply >)

The button hides extraneous replies, keeping conversations in threads isolated. If you press the button, it reveals the reply.

(1 reply V)

---

Athena posts: @Velo Vox LOL, Ikr?!?

Mostly posts in a thread are all part of the same conversation, and new conversations go into new threads. RPs tend to work differently, of course, especially if you've got characters in different places. Still, using the replies can help track it if everyone's doing that. The system only displays so many lines in a reply (the rest can be opened up like your > and V if desired), so it doesn't take up too much room (as you see below).

[QUOTE="Velo Vox]I appreciate it, but not what I was asking. I understand how quoting works. I suppose it isn't easy without showing what I mean, so I'll do my best to show and describe.
Sime forums use an chain system as opposed to just tags:

In a reply, Athena posts: @Velo Vox LOL, Ikr?!?

With the chain system, my post would be followed by a button that Identifies that someone replied to it while simultaneously making an ongoing conversation between the two easier to track:

(1 reply >)

The button hides extraneous replies, keeping conversations in threads isolated. If you press the button, it reveals the reply.

(1 reply V)

---

Athena posts: @Velo Vox LOL, Ikr?!?

[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, it would be interesting to have a system similar to that of 4chan that takes you to the quoted post by clicking on something in said post (on 4chan, the ID of the quoted post).

EDIT: Due to the nature of quoting and the code, I understand this won't be likely and probably won't be viable

Last edited by a moderator:
TheDox said:
Come to think of it, it would be interesting to have a system similar to that of 4chan that takes you to the quoted post by clicking on something in said post (on 4chan, the ID of the quoted post).
Next to the username of whoever you're quoting, there's the up arrow that goes to the original post. Is that what you mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pine said:
Next to the username of whoever you're quoting, there's the up arrow that goes to the original post. Is that what you mean?
I had no idea that's what it was for! (Figured it was just a graphic, didn't realize it was a link.) That's pretty handy.

While that might make sense in the OOC areas of the sites, I can't see how this would be functional in an rp. Everything would be out of order 0_o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back