Remind me again, please.

Flagg

The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
Why did the DB Usurpers build these elaborate tombs for the Solars they slew? Why didn't they just burn the bodies and be done with it?

-S

They feared the ghosts of the Solars returning to kill them, so they made sure they got really nice and nifty burials.. so if the ghosts would return, there would be tons of traps and bound demons and stuff making sure they never got out of the tombs.

To propriate their ghosts who might return and do bad things.  Even without Solar Shards, there'd be some pissed off ghosts to do bad things.

That, and it showed respect for the fallen, who were after all kings, and if they showed that much respect, it would ease the transition for the loyalists who no longer had Solars to serve.

And it gives starting characters an easy hook to finding their Shard's old shizzle, as opposed to it all going into the vaults in the Realm's tightest security.  

Of course, one would think that the Realm would trap the crap out of the tombs to keep folks out, but it seems newbie Solars are ingenious at avoiding just such things on a regular basis, and that the watchers get damn lazy considering how many Solars seem to be able to raid their tombs...

Zaramis said:
so if the ghosts would return, there would be tons of traps and bound demons and stuff making sure they never got out of the tombs.
Why would the ghosts return to the inside of the tomb? They're fully capable of entering Creation through other venues.

-S

In my campaign, the "big plot" of the entire first part is even reaching the tomb, considering it's been turned into the center a "Holy city" of an island civilization, where only their Shogun might ever tread for only he is holy enough.

And the traps are so deadly and cunning that I suspect that many gaming sessions will be used trying to even enter the very first rooms, but I suspect its going to be alot of tension and fear for the death of their characters ^_^

To propriate their ghosts who might return and do bad things.  Even without Solar Shards' date=' there'd be some pissed off ghosts to do bad things.[/quote']
Apparently that was a miserable failure. There were at least 13 ghosts who were still mightily pissed off.

-S

Well, maybe to make the ghosts happy then? And only 50% of the ghost would be able to do that Still, the Hungry Ghost part ( that can be pretty damn powerful ) would be bound into the crypt.

And all the fetters of the normal ghosts would also be in that crypt.

Zaramis said:
Well, maybe to make the ghosts happy then?
It obviously didn't. See my previous post.

Zaramis said:
And only 50% of the ghost would be able to do that Still, the Hungry Ghost part ( that can be pretty damn powerful ) would be bound into the crypt.
Or, they could have burned the corspes, and hungry ghosts would not be an issue.

Zaramis said:
And all the fetters of the normal ghosts would also be in that crypt.
Is that necessarily true? It's not my understanding.

-S

From my reading of the Abyssals, which was some time ago, I thought the fetters were almost always stuff like, their former belongings and things like that? Especially if you killed their families and burned their homes so nothing else still mattered.

And 13 ghosts out of 200 or so is still pretty decent.

Zaramis said:
From my reading of the Abyssals, which was some time ago, I thought the fetters were almost always stuff like, their former belongings and things like that? Especially if you killed their families and burned their homes so nothing else still mattered.
Even if this is the case, why not burn it ALL? Then there would be no hungry ghost, no fetters, no traps needed. If they had all sorts of indestructible orichalcum items that might turn into fetters, why not just pitch them into the deep Wyld and be done with it?

Why would they even be afraid of the Solars' higher souls? The ghosts of Exalts turn into complete pussies when they die. None of the power carries over.

-S

And those 13 were pretty much recruited early.  Deathlords aren't normal ghosts in the least.

Stillborn - I have no clue. It's what the books say, not what I say :P I remember reading it. Maybe not exactly that way, since I dont remember everything, but Im pretty sure

And those 13 were pretty much recruited early.  Deathlords aren't normal ghosts in the least.
My point being is that building massively ridiculous booby-trapped tombs obviously DID NOT appease the dead Solars. They went crying ot the Malfeans.

-S

I think it's more of one of those deals where it's like a security blanket "Alright, we buried them, full honors, tomb is highly secure, NOTHING can happen now." The DBs skip off into their fields of decadence while the ghosts are wandering Creation when the Malfeans slink out of the shadows like crack dealers.

"Hey man, I got a fucking great deal for you."

But not all of them did.  And from what I understood, those 13 were being recruited before they died, and were magnicent bastards before they went into that good night.  Special, high tone bastards.  They were on their road to the Neverborns' service long before they were dead.

At least from what I remember of the Abyssals book--I don't own it, so I'm just riffing.

Nah, they died and wandered the earth as ghosts, looking bitterly at what they left behind, and they wished that they could return to reclaim what was rightfully theirs.

So they were probably egoistical before, but not death-tainted. BUt it seems that for First-Age solars, they didnt become complete pussies after death, because they're described as really powerful ghosts.

Then the plan to keep the Solars down was only  5% ineffective.

They sell condoms with worse rates than that...

Stillborn said:
Even if this is the case, why not burn it ALL? Then there would be no hungry ghost, no fetters, no traps needed. If they had all sorts of indestructible orichalcum items that might turn into fetters, why not just pitch them into the deep Wyld and be done with it?
Why would they even be afraid of the Solars' higher souls? The ghosts of Exalts turn into complete pussies when they die. None of the power carries over.
Since it's been made explicit that the First Age's Twilights and others dabbled in necromancy, if I was a Sidereal Usurper and my DB general came to me and said "okay, we killed him", my next order would be "build the strongest fucking ward that has ever been built around the whole site to keep ghosts and necrotic Essence inside."

I mean, ghosts may not inherit a lot of power typically.  But what about THEIR ghosts?  This is something I'd worry about a great deal.

Indeed, and to Jakk, Larquen Quen (MoW) was only getting more egotistical and insane as he was in the Invisible Fortress, also, the Green Lady shoved him in the right direction, I think. But he was a mad little Twilight, wouldn't surprise me if he was a necromonger by the time he died in the Manse.

I think he would have been the closest out of them all to be pulled into the maw of the Malfeans quickly. What I would love to know, is how FaFL fell, I mean, I know he was arrogant as all get out as a Dawn general, one of the best actually. Born the First day of the First Age and all. But it makes me wonder, he's the oldest, does that mean he was pulled in, early in the Age whenever he died?

Too arrogant to die quietly and just move on...

The question is: what happens with the FaFL meets the Solar with the Shard that he used to house?  That should be chock full of some fun right there...

I've played that scenario  :twisted:  MAN, that was friggin' sweet. The PC nearly shat himself when he found out he was haboring the shard of the FaFL, ohhhhh man. When he met him...priceless.

Original topic alert! Original topic alert!

There are a few phrases, here and there, that indicate the DBs were terrified of what the US would be dealing out in retribution for casting down his Chosen, and did everything they possibly could to propitiate him. If that meant building elaborate tombs to hold the remains of his Chosen, then tombs were built.

Too bad they didn't realize he didn't give a crap at the time...

I think he would have been the closest out of them all to be pulled into the maw of the Malfeans quickly.
A minor note: actually, MoW is among the youngest of the Deathlords.

Let me rephrase, he would have been the most willing I think, he and Walker would have been. Insanity of a different degree had set in by the time they died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back