Opinion [Religion] Where my pagans at?

I'm following Celtic and Germanic based on my predicted and known ancestry. Firm believer that all European pantheons are simply interpretations of the same phenomena with different names and social/cultural ties. Proud European and keen to re-kindle the fires of old. I'm using Norse in order to get a good start as I have a good friend in Scandinavia and it's by far the most easily accessible.

Heill Óðinn.

You forgot The Book of the Dead. It's very dry though.
I didn't include any Egyptian literature texts (there are a lot though) but the books with the title "death" go over the belief in the dead and how the Egyptians saw the afterlife. For a new comer, it's more useful as it actually explains BOTD to you. Older pagans might find the actual text more interesting as they can probably understand the complex symbolism present in the BOTD.

I didn't include any Egyptian literature texts (there are a lot though) but the books with the title "death" go over the belief in the dead and how the Egyptians saw the afterlife. For a new comer, it's more useful as it actually explains BOTD to you. Older pagans might find the actual text more interesting as they can probably understand the complex symbolism present in the BOTD.

Fair point. I was many years into my studies before I was brave enough to tackle it, and I'm still working at it years later.

I'm a bit of an Eclectic myself, with a very fluid system. Whatever helps me understand and connect with the Universe at large works for me.

Solitary Wiccan here.....I don't practice as much and have never been to any groups. Its pretty dry where I live and we are few and far between. I've always believed in magic and spirits and the guidance of nature. I don't have a set path but I am pretty open to them all honestly.

Necromantic Anubisathian Soul-Caller and general Deathspeaker here, Yay for paganism and polytheism.

I found this book:

Pure Pagan: Seven Centuries of Greek Poems and Fragments by Burton Raffel
Overview: For centuries, the poetry of Homer, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Sappho, and Archilochus has served as one of our primary means of connecting with the wholly vanished world of ancient Greece. But the works of numerous other great and prolific poets–Alkaios, Meleager, and Simonides, to name a few–are rarely translated into English , and are largely unknown to modern readers. In Pure Pagan, award-winning translator Burton Raffel brings these and many other wise and witty ancient Greek writers to an English-speaking audience for the first time, in full poetic flower. Their humorous and philosophical ruminations create a vivid portrait of everyday life in ancient Greece –and they are phenomenally lovely as well.
Genre: Poetry, Literature

A Book of Pagan Prayer by Ceisiwr Serith
Overview: There are many reference books on elaborate pagan rituals but never - until now - a guide to the most basic of practices: prayers and offerings. A Book of Pagan Prayer provides the pagan community a comprehensive and thoughtful selection of prayers - and shows readers how they too can create their own. After an introduction on why to pray, author Ceisiwr Serith explores how to pray through words, posture, dance, and music. He explains how to prepare for and compose prayers, how to address and honor the deities, and how to conclude a prayer. Serith also answers important questions, such as: Why should pagans pray? Should prayers be spontaneous? What are offerings about? Is all this just trying to buy the gods off? Gathered from many traditions - including Celtic, Germanic, Egyptian, Greek, and Zoroastrian - this guide includes nearly 500 sample prayers organized by purpose: for the family and household; times of the day, month, and year; life passages; thanksgiving, grace, and petition; as well as litanies and mantras. Whether offering a blessing, celebrating new life, safeguarding travel, or honoring the seasons, readers will discover timeless pagan prayers for worship, spiritual connection, and personal relationship with the gods.
Genre: Nonfiction | Religion & Spirituality | New Age

Sigh ans half raises hand - im more of a Im between atheist and spiritualist as in my belief there are only spirits In the world and you will become one once you die , it's kinda like spectator mode in a game you can say as you cannot impact life but you can watch and roam round till your heart's content. No one can ever see your spirit as you pass away in life

Hi there! I am pagan, i believe in a eclectic amount of gods, i think all religons have some truth to them its just each persons interpretation and who we identify with the most. If i had to narrow it down i would probably identify most with the ancient gods of egypt.:csmile:

I don't believe in mystic forces, but I also believe that everything has a beginning, so, in a way, perhaps we're trapped in an endless cycle of existing within one's mind, who, in turn, exists within one's mind. Like a mirror in front of a mirror. Two mirrors facing each other...

endless_tunnel_monaco.jpg

That being said, I really have never studied any pagan religions before, but I do find them to be very interesting and amusing; I'd love to learn about them one day.

Egyptian temples are a source of inspiration to me. It's a shame what we've become. Diddly darn dongs.

I've seen a few pagans around here, where are the rest of ya'll?

I'm a Sethian cultist, meaning I worship the Egyptian God Set primarily, but I also worship Anubis, Re, and some other gods too.

I really don't know what I'm here for xD It's honestly hard to believe that you believe in Egyptian Gods and I'm seriously not trying to be offensive. Just curious---I mean I'm a Christian and I'm just wondering how you got to believing and worshipping Egyptian deities.

*raises hand*

I'm still learning and researching, but meee.

I was raised Christian, but I have my own issues with that religion, and I was never into going to church. I never felt like I belonged. So I stopped going around my late teenage years, and a family friend introduced me to Paganism, Wiccanism and Buddism and I am studying them, trying to learn more about it.

Hey Belle! I'm sorry to hear you've got some issues with Christianity xD It's tough---I've gone through that too and if you want, I could help you with whatever issues you've got. I've been having some doubts too lately, but it's all a part of growing in my faith. It's alright if you don't want to---but it's never too late to go back lmao.

I really don't know what I'm here for xD It's honestly hard to believe that you believe in Egyptian Gods and I'm seriously not trying to be offensive. Just curious---I mean I'm a Christian and I'm just wondering how you got to believing and worshipping Egyptian deities..

Personal experience, high spirituality, meditation, visons, dreams,ect. Everyone has a different origin story. It seems a bit odd to find another person finding another faith as out of the ordinary, when the abrahamic religions have early pagan influence and there is a large number of people worshipping Hinduism or other spiritual beliefs that contradict Christanity.

It's not out of the ordinary, there are a number of pagans out there, some even are high up in the academic field, like professors or Egyptologists. (Terrence DuQuesne comes to mind).

Personal experience, high spirituality, meditation, visons, dreams,ect. Everyone has a different origin story. It seems a bit odd to find another person finding another faith as out of the ordinary, when the abrahamic religions have early pagan influence and there is a large number of people worshipping Hinduism or other spiritual beliefs that contradict Christanity.

It's not out of the ordinary, there are a number of pagans out there, some even are high up in the academic field, like professors or Egyptologists. (Terrence DuQuesne comes to mind).

Well when we live in a society based on Christian morals and surrounded by a society that is largely Christian, I guess I do find it a bit out of the ordinary. I've had personal experiences too with God and Jesus---it's cool that I can learn and pray about Him whenever, wherever. My religion isn't even a religion---it's a relationship. I've had dreams too---but I've also had my doubts. A lot of them actually. A lot of people believe in God and a lot of people don't. Especially when there's the whole 'evolution' and 'Christianity is nothing but blind faith'---it really shakes you up. But thankfully I've done my research and I'm trying to broaden my spectrum and be intellectual about these things but it's tough xD Especially when many don't take me as seriously because of my young age.

Well when we live in a society based on Christian morals and surrounded by a society that is largely Christian, I guess I do find it a bit out of the ordinary. I've had personal experiences too with God and Jesus---it's cool that I can learn and pray about Him whenever, wherever. My religion isn't even a religion---it's a relationship. I've had dreams too---but I've also had my doubts. A lot of them actually. A lot of people believe in God and a lot of people don't. Especially whagaen there's the whole 'evolution' and 'Christianity is nothing but blind faith'---it really shakes you up. But thankfully I've done my research and I'm trying to broaden my spectrum and be intellectual about these things but it's tough xD Especially when many don't take me as seriously because of my young age.
There's pagan temples across the US, different secs of secular religions (Levann Satanism, Temple of Set), and Native American Religions. It's [paganism] been around in the US.

Heyo!! I currently practice and am experimenting with Alchemy, Asatru, Wizardy/magic(original sense..not hollywood), and Tarot (and the like). I say experimenting because I am testing a hypothesis I have about using multiple practices in tandem...I think, technically, what I'm classified as is a Sorceror/Chaos mage (yeah i know....i did extensive research and this is what I could find...they sound super cliched...I apologize). Anywho I've had an innate belief in what is commonly seen as the fantastical and mystical. I was even raised baptist :P And so I have been researching and experimenting with various practices (I even dabbled in wicca for a while) in order to unequivocally prove or disprove my inherent belief. If you can't tell i'm also very much into science and it's application...also, for alchemy, I'm approaching it from a more metaphorical standpoint where "Lead into Gold" is about self- growth and enlightenment. Sorry for the ramble...but I figured i should elaborate to a degree to not come off as the edgy kid just trying to be cool...sorry. Oh! I'm also doing research into the paranormal, uses of the Keys of Solomon, Necromancy, and golem-work (moreso towards their respective feasibility). I do have some...experiences taht have solidified my belief in rune magic and tarot and their power when combined (if you wanna know more about that then feel free to pm me!).

I'm not religious but for a short time awhile ago out of curiosity I did read about modern paganism, witchcraft, and chaos magic (I think?) and I liked some of the concepts a lot. In particular that you get what you put into the world- less in a karma or "charging and sending energies" way and more in a responsibility and cause-and-effect way. And in general I feel like the blogs I've read from people who practiced chaos magic or tarot had a greater appreciation for the little things in life, and put an emphasis on being aware of and taking care of yourself.

I'm not religious but for a short time awhile ago out of curiosity I did read about modern paganism, witchcraft, and chaos magic (I think?) and I liked some of the concepts a lot. In particular that you get what you put into the world- less in a karma or "charging and sending energies" way and more in a responsibility and cause-and-effect way. And in general I feel like the blogs I've read from people who practiced chaos magic or tarot had a greater appreciation for the little things in life, and put an emphasis on being aware of and taking care of yourself.
Chaos Magic is super intriguing!!! I do enjoy it.

Skål!

I am Ásatrú (Norse pagan). I also believe in spirits as I have had many experiences with that. I class it mainly as a way of life and less so a religion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back