• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Regarding the Donation System

Do you think this would be a good idea?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Some of it sounds good, other parts don't make sense.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Of Imagination

Jak, The Third J of the Apocalypse
So, as the title says, I have a couple ideas regarding the donation system;

• An Option for Recurring Payments- This can be simple, like a monthly, bi-monthly, 6 month, and yearly recurring payments, as a way for members to always support the site, based on their payment schedule.
  • Discounts on higher tier donations- Because people are already spending money on the site, why not give them incentive to pay a bit more and go for a longer duration? It seems to work well on every other site where you can buy membership.

As I said, these are just ideas, and rather raw ones, but I've seen things like this work very well on a lot of other sites. Hope people like these ideas.

@The Dark Wizard for good measure.

[QUOTE="King Of Imagination]

• An Option for Recurring Payments- This can be simple, like a monthly, bi-monthly, 6 month, and yearly recurring payments, as a way for members to always support the site, based on their payment schedule.

[/QUOTE]
This is possible with a bit of tweaking. However people usually forget about it and then complain when automatically charged.

[QUOTE="King Of Imagination]
Discounts on higher tier donations- Because people are already spending money on the site, why not give them incentive to pay a bit more and go for a longer duration? It seems to work well on every other site where you can buy membership.

[/QUOTE]
Why? You aren't paying for a service like the VIP system. Those were not donations.

In the current system you aren't buying a ribbon or the gold username in anyway. It's just a token of our gratitude. Discounts only work when you are actually purchasing a service or product like VIP but then it stops being donations.

[quote="Why? You aren't paying for a service like the VIP system. Those were not donations.

In the current system you aren't buying a ribbon or the gold username in anyway. It's just a token of our gratitude. Discounts only work when you are actually purchasing a service or product like VIP but then it stops being donations.

Fair enough 
... Fail.

[QUOTE="King Of Imagination][quote="Why? You aren't paying for a service like the VIP system. Those were not donations.

[/QUOTE]
Fair enough

I mean it woudpnt be different if we removed all options and just stuck a paypal button and just let people insert their own amount: which they can do anyway. But this way people get an idea and it automated the ribbon and color.

[QUOTE="King Of Imagination]Yeah, alright. 
But still, I think the recurring thing is a good idea.

[/QUOTE]
Sure @The Administration and I will discuss it as it is a valid suggestion and some members night want that convience.

I assume that since you suggested it that you plan to use such a thing?

Probably in the future, I currently have a steady income, so I have to wait until I get a debit card, my only option at the moment is Gift Cards.

This is possible with a bit of tweaking. However people usually forget about it and then complain when automatically charged.
Unless you install the modification that reminds them in advance that the reoccurring payment is coming close.

Why? You aren't paying for a service like the VIP system. Those were not donations.
Correction, under our old non-profit license within the U.S., they were in fact donations. The "service" in which you are referring too was not a sale of virtual goods but instead an increase in permissions. Since we offered a FREE (no cash needed) way to obtain it (I.E. voting), then payment is simply a donation in which you can skip the voting. We WERE set up legally as a non-profit organization for tax purposes but this was legally bound to my name & not the site so that was removed with me.

GgAcE said:
Unless you install the modification that reminds them in advance that the reoccurring payment is coming close.
Users still complain :3

GgAcE said:
Correction, under our old non-profit license within the U.S., they were in fact donations. The "service" in which you are referring too was not a sale of virtual goods but instead an increase in permissions. Since we offered a FREE (no cash needed) way to obtain it (I.E. voting), then payment is simply a donation in which you can skip the voting. We WERE set up legally as a non-profit organization for tax purposes but this was legally bound to my name & not the site so that was removed with me.
Even so, it still does not make sense to offer discounts on something that currently offers nothing, right?

Users still complain :3
Welcome to everyday life.... No matter what you do, people will complain. Find the happy medium.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Even so, it still does not make sense to offer discounts on something that currently offers nothing, right?

[/QUOTE]
From a logistics standpoint no. From a marketing standpoint, it does!

Disclaimer: At no point is the marketing reference below used to compare RpNation, Rpnation affiliated donations, or applicable payments. It's simply an example from a "point proven" standpoint.

Welcome to Marketing 101 with GgAcE. Class is now in session.

The average consumer feels buyers remorse for many items including both tangible & virtual goods. As items such as food & entertainment are often flooded into a consumer from early walks of life, they are less likely to feel this remorse or if they do, it has little effect.

When purchasing items such as vehicles, homes, or other big ticket products, the brain knows that it's expensive & throws out a level or remorse but at some point, that remorse settles as the aforementioned examples are often a necessity for most.

When purchasing virtual goods, consumers often cut those ties first. In my example I will use World of Warcraft $14.99 monthly subscription. If I want to play, I have to pay. Simple! Now instead of gaining 1 month for $14,99 & let's say "life happens" & I discontinue, world of warcraft is wise to offer 1 - 3 - 12 month payments. Since I have the money NOW I will pay for 12 months JUST in case "life happens". Now no matter what, they got me for a year. 1/3 of every American is willing to pay upfront for services, items, etc. if SOME type of discount is applied & they have the available funds. I am guilty of this myself on more than one occasion. This is called Psychological Pricing (I will save this for another class) & tells the consumer that mentally the long term purchase is the best option despite their being as little as a 5 cent change in price (think of all the $9.99 products & then think of all the $10.00 products you know of).

So in my example above, yes you are paying for a service but regardless of the service, it DOES make sense to allow discounts. The end user has more options, they are more likely to donate long term, & you have a better chance of receiving more donations for a time period than you are more donators (if that makes sense).

Sorry for the long winded reply but running forums was not my day job =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back