• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Reckoning

Jannah

Barely holding on.
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Some messes were not so easy to wade through. Elijah was quickly learning as he found himself dozing off between the stacks of files that lined his desk. Each one contained important information on the city's wanteds. As of late there were many. Far too many. It produced a sigh from the man as he attempted to set himself upwards in his seat. There was just a bit more work to be done until he could leave for the night. That was always a welcomed conclusion to the gruelling shifts that pitted him against some less than savoury people. Yet, it paid the bills and got food on the table.

He did not particular enjoy what he did. Perhaps it even made him a hypocrite, but he managed to think long and hard about the alternative. A place within one of the international institutions worldwide was hardly appealing, allowing him to find his niche in one of the few establishments that had been willing to accept somebody like him. It was not the frizzy red hair or the dreamy amber eyes, but something else entirely and he knew it.

I am not like these other people.

Self-doubt. It was a powerful trait, one that acted as a virus until it conquered its host entirely. Elijah was that host, allowing new more appropriate thoughts to flow through his mind.

They were thoughts that had been pre-approved by the law itself.

"All are welcome if they fight for justice, whether human or gifted..." The mantra that Elijah repeated to himself was a simple one. He allowed it to slip out of his chapped lips and into the crowded office space around him. Aside from the stack of files, stemming from months of data collection, laid several other crucial elements in the man's latest investigation. Among them was the most notable, a half empty mug of coffee that was long past the stage of being lukewarm. It had once served as a compelling device of alertness but now it remained idle and lifeless, much like those who had opted to turn to the wrong side of law enforcement. The consequences were clear, yet some dared to defy them. A true marvel of the ages, but also an interesting case for the man who struggled through his night's work.

It was one file in particular that stood out. The man found himself regularly returning to, fixated on one detail in particular. Who was the woman within the shadows? Why was she so destructive? Revenge? Pure rampage? Or perhaps simple mischief? There were questions that eluded even the most elite in the force, making it a wonder that they trusted the independent investigator on the case at all. Through thick and thin I will seek answers.

He left himself pondering much, grasping his hand around the coffee mug. Within seconds streams of steam began to protrude from it as if heating up immensely. With a nod, he took a single sip. It remained bitter, much like the mission he would be forced to pursue. Yet, options were limited. It was time to do what few others dared to. He stood up and walked over to the office window that overlooked the cityscape beyond. He began to stare out into the darkened horizon. Shadows. Darkness. for some, it was a natural phenomenon of nature, but for others it was a tool of carnage and destruction.

Tonight, though, it was something else entirely. It was potentially a clue - a clue that would bring about the ultimate reckoning.

(I am going to assume we aren't going with the 'she is captured route yet sorry if I misread somewhere)

Shadows... To most it is only a minor detail in the beauty of life, only a detail, But a select few Gifted have found a new meaning within the dark pools that reflect the world. These gifted see the potential destruction shadows can create, now these gifted didn't like that fact, oh no these gifted made shadows into a plaything and entertained young gifted who have yet to lose their hope. But one gifted woman despised the good her shadows were being used for. This woman was Midnight Beats the one true mistress of shadows. She, Like many other gifted people, was hunted by ignorant normal savages. She lived in fear that one day she would be found and exposed... but one day she got a call from the local school telling her that her little sister was found to be a gifted... and was shot dead in the sandbox by her teacher, This made her snap as that night she began her spree. it started small one or two murders that she would hang by their entrails with words like 'normie' or 'non-gifted' written on the walls behind the body in pulsating Shadows that would disappear after pictures were taken, giving her the name 'Devil's shadow.'

Midnight was standing over a terrified man who has already been cut and bruised a lot, The man begged, "F-Freak! you are a monster you don't deserve your life!" every word just made her mad, so she put her hand in front of her and calmly spat with a unused and gravely voice, "I do not deserve life? what gives you the right to tell me that... and did you say that to the innocent girl you MURDERED for being special!" Shadows began to crawl around her making her a foot taller and her hair waved behind her and her eyes... oh her eyes were pools of darkness with a deep red in the middle. with her outstretched arm she sliced the man from the neck to his stomach and watched as the life drained as fats as her organs hit the floor... her shadows began to move off her and lift the body to the top of the school house and tied him there with his intestines. after this her shadows spelled out something different 'Justice.' hmm. curious... was this justice or just karma either way it gave the woman a ide smile as she cackled once she was back to normal her scarlet hair was bouncing with each laugh.

Shadow manipulation. It was just one of many abilities that Gifteds possessed, yet there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of violence associated with it. Why was that? Were its users so literally tied to darkness that they knew nothing else? There was were peculiarities about the ability that Elijah continued asking himself. In fact, he was even yet to witness the ability in usage itself, leaving him little more than the curious power of hearsay to gather any intel on it at all. It has not been a particularly easy task, but thanks to some anonymous sources he was confident that for the first time in months he finally had real leads on the mysterious killer known only as "Devil's Shadow".

Elijah smirked. Tonight, the entire mystery that had been plaguing the city for months would finally be unravelled. It was all thanks to him, the man that not even the most ardent opponents of Gifteds could deny was damn good at his job. That, however, was just one trait he kept carefully concealed to the public.

Until tonight.

There is no more hiding. Certain measures are necessary. He remained pondering much as he suited up, ready to leave the office for the last time tonight. His plain and wrinkled outfit suggested a man overworked, but he was just about to become a man more overworked. Most of all, he was about to become a hero. "I will have a surprise for you in the morning." He suggested as he finally walked out.

The air outside was cool, an interesting contrast for one so attuned to the heat that flowed throughout his adapted body. It left him sighing as it hit his exposed skin. Fortunately, it was a short-lived reaction as his sights became set elsewhere: one of the city's local schoolhouses. For most, it was a place of fellowship and learning, but tonight it had become the centre of something much more sinister. His first clue, and potentially the location of the target herself.

Upon arriving in the neighbourhood in question, he smirked. Only moments later a burst of pure flames began to protrude from his palms, propelling him far into the air. Ever so carefully he landed himself atop the rooftops themselves that would lead to his destination. He watched and waited, prepared to strike like a predator upon any signs of movement.

Midnight had recovered from her laughing fit by now and was getting ready to leave when she saw a burst of flame from down the road. Now she wasn't a idiot, she knew that it was that Gifted cop who was hell bent on finding her but she also knew that he had nothing other then the location. This thought made her laugh, "oh goodness that fool thinks he is on the right side... how naïve but nevertheless lets give him a show ok my darling shadows?" her face was one of sadistic glee as the shadows morphed into a blank silhouette of a person cowering on the ground and acted like it was human. Midnight laughed as she screamed, "YOU ARE DONE FOR YOU MURDERER! MY SISTER DID NOTHING OTHER THEN PLAY WITH HER SHADOWS!" Midnight wasn't acting anymore as her mock of the murder she committed before held the same power as the actual murder. This all was just to draw out the man who is almost famous for the little freedom he has... she knows it will work as all law enforcement normal or Gifted will save the 'innocent.' Yeah right

Maniacal laughter. It was nearly unmistakable, prompting Elijah to listen in briefly in attempts to pick up any damning evidence he could. He was not alone tonight. That remained absolutely certain. There was somebody else present and the shouting that followed served as the only indication the man needed to know exactly who or what he was up against.

Devil's Shadow? Here? Now? It was an intriguing thought for the man, and one that could absolutely not be ignored as soon as more shouting followed. Well, not very discreet is she... Finding himself pondering the unusual circumstances, that were no doubt out of character for a famed killer, he exhaled heavily. It had to be a trap. Was it?

I suppose there is only one way to find out...

With hardly a second thought, the man rushed in, constant streams of flames flowing from both his palms. He aimed it towards the silhouette that was no doubt the killer herself. "There is exactly one thing that can destroy the power of shadows. Light." He exasperated with full intent to taunt the woman into confronting him. It took fire to fight fire, quite literally.

As the silhouette was burned up it only hissed and bubbled like a egg frying on a sidewalk. The laughter had stopped and midnight revealed herself from behind the now burning shadow, "Hello turncoat... so you've caught me in the act... the famed gifted detective has finally caught his prey..." she took a step closer to him and held her arms out and shadows began to crawl up Elijah covering his hand and legs holding tightly making movement impossible, "Or... could it be me... the devils shadow who has caught you?" she laughed and walks up to him and looked into his eyes while her eyes held guilt and pain. she smiles and bit her lip, "I must admit it's been a while since I've seen a gifted as cute as you..." she bits his ear and whispered chillingly "Mr. Elijah...."

Predictable. Utterly predictable. That was what the entire scenario was. The woman had lured him in, hoping to bring him down, yet such predictability was only bound to become her downfall. It nearly always worked that way. Most of the individuals who managed to make their way onto the office's watch lists had that single detail in common. It was almost growing tedious, yet it was a necessary job to be done. It was only by sheer luck itself that he had managed to pick it up. It seemed even the authorities recognized the benefits of people like him.

Yet, it was a messy and nearly thankless job. He remembered that the moment the woman's shadows began engulfing him. Almost immediately he began to feel their power, a chill as cold as night itself. It sent shivers down the man's spine as he found himself frozen in place. Mobility remained an impossibility as the woman's presence soon took over.

She was cold. Far too cold. It was written all over as she spoke. It was like remorse was simply non-existent within her, a sure sign of possible much deeper trauma. An investigation for later perhaps? The man briefly considered it, but it was only shortly before deeper instincts took over: that of survival as he remained in the woman's grasp. I've been in tight spots before... Elijah thought hard for a solution, anything at all. Whether the woman realized it or not he did carry a single advantage over her: light.

Light! The epiphany struck the man like a stack of bricks coming towards him full force. It had worked once before so surely it would work again. Now if he could simply distract her...

"Well, I am single..." He finally cooed. Attraction was a powerful thing, one that often could be used to an individual's advantage. Certainly this was no different.

Midnight laughs a bit, "I find that hard to believe Elijah, I'd expect women just can't get enough of the traitor of all gifted kind...." that sentence had began with a ghost of a smile but when it finished that smile was replaced with a scowl as she seemed to get more and more pissed of with made her shadows squeeze tighter and tighter around his limbs. Midnight thought to herself, what are you doing Midnight just kill him and rid the world of him. but for some reason she fought her urge for sadistic 'justice' and glared at the ground, "you aren't the first or only one to get on my trail.... but you are the first of our kind too"

Her face fell as she began to remember why she started this murder spree, "do you believe in karma? or perhaps just belief that people deserve what is given to them... if you do then you will understand these men's mistakes even little things like laughing as a gifted was murdered or smirking as a kid is beaten... these men didn't deserve anything other then pain" she growls but doesn't notice that in her rant she had begun loosening Elijah's restraints, "even men who do good for the wrong reasons deserve pain.... which is why I don't understand why its so hard to hurt you... you abandoned your kind to play police with racist oppressors and... it confuses me... a-and it scares me to think that I almost did the same thing before-" the crack in her voice was obvious and as she began to break down in sobs she fully released the Gifted detective. She slinked to her knees forgetting everything around her existed as she cried for her past self and her sister who both, in a way, died on the same day.

Traitor. Traitor, traitor, traitor! It was an accusation Elijah had heard many times before, one that ever continued to echo through his head. Certainly tonight was not going to be the last time he heard it either. No, it was evident to most who encountered him exactly what he was. Yet, he felt anything but. It was much more exhilarating than that. He was finally able to truly fit into the world - a world that he regretted not being more fully involved in. There was simply no changing what he was.

"I have my reasons for doing what I do..." He uttered, groaning as the woman tightened her grip on him. He was simply like everybody else and God be damned if he didn't die trying to prove it. Gifteds, after all, were little more than a dangerous menace on an otherwise peaceful society. This woman, in all her sadistic ambitions, was the perfect example in the flesh.

But she was...sobbing?

The woman's reaction was undoubtedly a surprising one, leaving Elijah bewildered as he set his eyes on her. She left herself exposed, entering her most vulnerable state. Fortunately for him it was also a state of powerlessness, freeing him from the shadows that had bound him only moments previous. Not daring to let his guard down around her, he readied himself to strike at only a moment's notice. The woman was a tricky one, very possibly attempting to lure him into another trap. If there was one thing that his training regiment had taught him it was that the lawless were willing to use even the dirtiest of tactics to take down their pursuers. This woman was quite clearly well acquainted with the world she served.

"This world simply cannot accommodate everybody. It's a fact I have long accepted." He simply responded.

Midnight wipes her eyes, "What would you know about this world... you only listen to those racist idiots who want you dead! even bringing me in will just make then hate you more then they already do... because there is one thing with normal people that never will change...." she looks up at him with a wide smile and a white glint in her eyes, "They hate it when Gifted's are better then them..." her form began to grow and she was back to her 6'4 monster size that she uses to kill her victims if all else fails, "And you.... are no better then the man I hung here.... you little PUPPET" as this was uttered she began to walk towards him slowly as reeled her fist back to fight him

The woman's reactions continued to be unpredictable and perhaps unusual. It was like she was making this easy. Almost too easy. Elijah did not trust any of it for even a second. Instead, he squinched and took a more argumentative slant. What did this this woman understand about justice? What did she understand about anything at all? "You assume so much, yet know so little." He chided. Their kind truly was dangerous and created more division than unity. Surely it was reason enough to crack down on a group of individuals who defied nature and were never meant to exist in the first place.

The woman certainly had some nerve for thinking so highly of herself, also. Her words reeked of pride, perhaps even disdain for the rest of society. It was peculiar, but somehow hinted towards a troubled past. It was merely a question of what, although there remained a number of possibilities. Fortunately, it also left open an opportunity of talking some reason into her. If successful, then Elijah considered that an accomplish in itself.

But perhaps conflict was all the woman knew, readying herself to attack once more. "Bold." Elijah remarked, allowing full streams of flames to protrude from his palms. A warning signal as if to scream back off.

Midnight had not expected this and was rightly shocked as the flames blazed from this ignorant mans hands, "you have put yourself on a pedestal as you aren't hunted for being alive... most gifted people can't say that.." she takes a step back and looks up noticing the sun poking above the school.... she had to make this quick.

Midnight decided there that she was done playing with the man in front of her and her shadow form started to fade, "well well… its seems as if I've been bested by the great gifted god that is yourself..." she scoffs and puts her hands out and with a sly look says, "you'll see that I was right the minute we walk through the police stations door... the hate you will see... the determination in their eyes.... to best you... to be better then you.... to kill you"

Elijah could only sigh. This woman had some nerve to paint herself as some victim. Was she not the one going around the city and slaughtering people? Was she not exactly the sort of monster that the government warned against? The woman's words more than anything reeked of blatant hypocrisy and the man saw right through it.

"You have become the very thing our government warns about. Are you proud of yourself?" He finally retorted. "The differences can never be bridged if this is how you plan to live your life." Words. They were often powerful, but would they be enough? It was the question yet to be answered and perhaps tonight it would not be as the woman prepared to flee. It was the cue for the man to act, yet he could not. Something deep inside him kept him firmly planted, motionless, directly where he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back