Rebecca Bradley

Rainzen

Name: Rebecca "Beck" Bradley

Background: Beck wanted to be a doctor pretty much since she was capable of understanding what one was. As someone who had a goal from a very early age, in an occupation that is always in demand, Beck started her anatomy and science classes very early through an accelerated government program. During her schooling, she got pregnant at 18, and married the father and her best friend Matthew Bradley soon after. A few months after the wedding, Eleanor was born. Beck became pregnant with her second child soon after, Daniel was born when she was 20, and Matthew mostly played the role of a stay at home parent so that Beck could complete her schooling. 

Once she graduated, Beck was placed in a position at a teaching hospital, teaching classes and conducting her own projects, and continuing her education through her work. 

Three months after Eleanor's fifth birthday, she fell ill, and never recovered. She didn't live to be six years old, and left a broken, grieving family in her wake. Beck and Matthew tried to work through everything, for the sake of their relationship, and second child, but after two years of therapy and Beck throwing herself into her work to avoid the grief process, they had to call it quits. Matthew was given full custody of Daniel, and after a few bitter post divorce months, Beck slowly came back into their lives. They have an amicable relationship, and have managed to become friends again.

When the Alpha Centauri mission came up, the mission itself was almost a dream come true. Her ten year old and her ex-husband functioned without her 90% of the time, it was much too good of an opportunity to pass up. 

Relationships:

Physical details:

height 5'5" weight 140 lbs

dark brown hair, light brown eyes

imageproxy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rainzen 19 seems a bit young to be a licensed physician. Maybe she was a Registered Nurse and entered med school at 19. By government school do you mean something like the Solar Navy Academy? I can understand her being an overachiever, doing all of that while juggling a family is a bit of a stretch, so I can see the marriage falling apart probably due to the immense amount of time spent away from home. I can see her choosing the love of what she does over her family life, but leaving a second child behind certainly would invoke some internal conflict after the fact?

@MagicPocket yeah like I absolutely understand the 19 thing, I think in my head I was picturing an overhaul of schooling, like in a post apocalyptic society not necessarily having k-12 but starting in on vocational studies earlier rather than having the general public education that we have now, although I probably shouldn't have assumed since you didn't say anything about it in the world building. Also I kind of tried to shove a whole lot into a relatively short time period. Admittedly, it did not work perfectly. By government school I did mean solar navy I suppose, something equivalent to a younger age ROTC maybe? Did you want that to exist? if not I can edit accordingly. Due to her age she should probably have less experience, particularly by todays standard, I just thought she would need more to be selected 

As for second child, most definitely. Beck 100% has quite a lot of internal conflict about her second child and motherhood in general. 

A lot of that distance comes from fear of something happening to the other kid, and general guilt that comes along with a kid dying (especially of an illness, since shes a physician, even though she couldn't actually have stopped it) And the fact that her and the ex-husband are still on reletively good terms, and she does trust his fathering skills probably more than she trusts her maternal ones. If any of that makes sense?

I probably would have gone into depth but you didn't seem to want very in depth bios, especially personality wise. I can add a lot more here if you like? 

For now, if it isn't too late, I'll go ahead and work on some of the things you said and give it a bit of an overhaul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back