• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Really Weird and Distracting Thing

This isn't really my place to butt in or anything, but now I have a problem. I was going to start trying out some HTML stuff and so now have a question. So the HTML you do can't bother anybody at all? As in, even if it's not affecting the whole site? Or is it that you're only not allowed to purposefully mess with the whole site? Because the person above seems to just be doing it on their own post. I just don't want to get in trouble if I choose to try out some HTML in the future. 

This isn't really my place to butt in or anything, but now I have a problem. I was going to start trying out some HTML stuff and so now have a question. So the HTML you do can't bother anybody at all? As in, even if it's not affecting the whole site? Or is it that you're only not allowed to purposefully mess with the whole site? Because the person above seems to just be doing it on their own post. I just don't want to get in trouble if I choose to try out some HTML in the future. 

At the point where it is movement that a person is not expecting to see, it could actually give people legitimate headaches. I do not think that simething that can cause physical problems should happen without a warning being included and/or a way to avoid it. In a signature, it can be avoided. In spoilers, it can be avoided. In a post with no heads up, it cannot be avoided without plain old not reading the thread. 

But what stops somebody from getting a headache from things that other's wont? What if somebody just really doesn't like another person and complains that the colors or the pictures or the font are giving them a headache? This makes me fearful to try anything because what if my background is bright and somebody says they have a headache from it? 

The purpose of adding html formatting is to make a post stand out. Anything that stands out can be seen as disruptive.

The only question is whether the admins view this as editing outside of the intended scope of the html editor, which is a single post. I do not believe it does, but that isn't my decision to make. All I need is a solid answer as to whether or not what I'm doing violates any rules.

So there's a really weird and HIGHLY distracting coding thing going on on this page: 

There's an image that shows up in the background of a lot of things when you scroll down the page. I have no idea what it is, but it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to read the content on the page. 

Read it. Git gud.

But what stops somebody from getting a headache from things that other's wont? What if somebody just really doesn't like another person and complains that the colors or the pictures or the font are giving them a headache? This makes me fearful to try anything because what if my background is bright and somebody says they have a headache from it? 

The point I was trying to make is this : if the distraction is such that it takes away from what I assume is your primary goal of getting your content read and understood by the masses you might want to scale back a little bit.

Think of it in terms like this.

Say I make a character that is sparkly unicorn.

If that character is in a fantasy setting or in a roleplay where there is a lot of magical elements that's fine they fit.

If I try to put a sparkly unicorn post in the discussion forum where I'm still playing as that character than that's going to be distracting. Because that isn't the proper forum to be playing as a character.

All I am saying is that if you want to do something that might be distracting than take a moment to think what is more important to you. If you want people to be actually reading your work than I would focus more on making it readable than pretty.

I'm not saying you can't use whatever HTML you want. But just take the time to think about where you putting it and if the bright colors or cool features fit in the place your actually posting it.

Example - if you use a bright background in a character sheet that's fine. But be warned that if you put for instance bright neon yellow text on a white background your likely gonna get people who can legitimately not read it.

Thank you for explaining it. But I'm going to repeat myself, I just want to know whether or not it's allowed. I don't even know if I'm going to do HTML yet. I just want to know if it's allowed. If we can make our post bright and colorful or something like that so long as we aren't affecting the rest of the sight. I just want to know if it's allowed. 

Thank you for explaining it. But I'm going to repeat myself, I just want to know whether or not it's allowed. I don't even know if I'm going to do HTML yet. I just want to know if it's allowed. If we can make our post bright and colorful or something like that so long as we aren't affecting the rest of the sight. I just want to know if it's allowed. 

That would likely be a question for the @The Staff specifically.  I would think it would depend on what you mean by bright and colorful specifically. People used to post for instance in bright colors on the site before HTML and that was fine. And god knows some people's CS's where bright technicolor headaches with BBC Code and that was also fine as far as I know.

So yeah it would depend on exactly what your talking about. Do you mean a bright color on all your regular posts as a background. Like some kind of box your gonna put your stuff in? Or do you mean in CS's specifically?

I don't know yet. Like I said, I might not even use HTML. My likes and dislikes sporadically change and one moment I don't like bright colors but the next I might. Sometimes I don't even like adding anything to posts. I just want to know, for example, if something like what started this whole conversation would be allowed. Thank you for tagging the staff for me. :) I don't know how to do that. 

Why is this even controversial? That guy had an image in the background of his post as a demonstration. 

I just want an answer about whether or not it's allowed. That's all. I don't think that anything is controversial. At least, I'm not arguing for or against. If it's allowed, then alright. If not, then alright. I don't care either way. I just want an answer for future reference if I choose to use HTML in the future. 

To explain a little more on the staff side of HTML coding:

We've discussed this a bit, and it seems that there's a few things that we advise users to stay far away from. The list includes

• Anything that alters the site outside of your post.
  • Anything that can trigger epilepsy/seizures (think bright flashing colours, usually.)
  • Anything else observed by the staff that is deemed unacceptable for any reason.

Unless you're altering the site (you'll know it if you do), the staff will most likely just ask you to cease and possibly to edit the code out of past posts. :)

My only concern with a really bright background would be if it's a gif (seizures) or if it's so incredibly pastel it's hard to read your content. That's not against the rules, persay, but I think you'd like your writing to be read - that's why we're all here~ :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back