Questing Vs. Group Role-Play

Group Role-Play or Questing?

• Group Role-Play, obviously.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is This Even A Question? Questing.

• You Can't Trick Me. Neither Is Better Than The Other.

• Total voters

White Masquerade

QuirkyAngel's Red Oni
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Title

To all my Novel-Writers, Fan-Fiction lovers, Solo Players, World Builders, Control freaks (a little bit), and 1x1er's (mostly), you finally have a home! It may seem odd, but your home is Questing. If you really look at it, Questing was the missing alternative; it is the worthy sister and direct opposite to Group Role-Playing.

If you fall into one of those 6 categories I began the post with, definitely take a look into starting a quest. While group role-plays require a bit more time, adaptability, responsiveness, collaboration, co-ordination, timing, conflict resolution, give-and-take..and many other things, Questing mostly requires the opposite skill-set. You can write just for yourself. You can have a crap-ton of mechanics for people to follow. You can kill off anybody and everything you like. Really, Questing seems to be made just for that.

Think of Group Role-playing as the extroverted form of RP. Well, Questing is its introverted brother. Let me get this out of the way, One is not better than the other. They each have their pluses and minuses. They are equal; simply two different ways of approaching one thing. Just as Extroverts in real life aren't better than Introverts (Introverts tend to be more intellectual ( :P )) and vice versa, it is the same with this.

So if anyone finds it a struggle to get into group role-playing, maybe you need a change of pace. Questing would be the perfect thing to give a shot. I can already see the potentially amazing stories that can be brought to the site through this format here. Really sets the stage for intricate narratives. Best thing is, you don't even have to post every day to keep it going (:3).

Not Really A Discussion
This is not really a discussion, but if anyone has comments on this, feel free to make them.

It very much seems to be a pick-your-own-adventure that just includes a large group. I quite like it. I'd certainly consider trying it as a fun writing exercise.

Tronethiel said:
It very much seems to be a pick-your-own-adventure that just includes a large group. I quite like it. I'd certainly consider trying it as a fun writing exercise.
Certainly! Try at least once. I browsed through it a bit and it seems like a great Fantasy quest complete with deep lore, would be at home there as opposed to the many I see in the Fantasy Checks.

As it's made for people to vote on, I think it'd actually be more fun as the writer to have the chance at exploring the world they created without being hampered by 5-10 other people.

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Certainly! Try at least once. I browsed through it a bit and it seems like a great Fantasy quest complete with deep lore, would be at home there as opposed to the many I see in the Fantasy Checks.
As it's made for people to vote on, I think it'd actually be more fun as the writer to have the chance at exploring the world they created without being hampered by 5-10 other people.

[/QUOTE]
I'm sure one could probably develop variations on it, such as to rotate the writer of the next scene with friends. Players could even vote for environmental or unexpected happenings. You could separately have votes on all sorts of things that might affect the story later down the line. A world of possibilities. This could be fun with dice as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tronethiel said:
I'm sure one could probably develop variations on it, such as to rotate the writer of the next scene with friends. Players could even vote for environmental or unexpected happenings. You could separately have votes on all sorts of things that might affect the story later down the line. A world of possibilities. This could be fun with dice as well.
There you go, I like how you think. You're my kind of person. There are indeed numerous possibilities someone can take doing it. We shall see what comes up then! I look forward to when you start one (>u>)

But you don't get that sweet character interaction like you do in Group RPs.

I'm going to be that guy:

GROUP RPS ARE BETTER!

(jk Quests are good. It's just a matter of preference)

Bobisdead123 said:
But you don't get that sweet character interaction like you do in Group RPs.
I'm going to be that guy:

GROUP RPS ARE BETTER!

(jk Quests are good. It's just a matter of preference)
( :P ) Bob you're too much.

True, true. There can still be a form of character interaction in Questing; it just depends on the creator and if they're willing to handle multiple NPC. Which brings up another bonus of Questing. It's a great way to practice NPC'ing without the stress of it being "live", as it is in Group Role-play.

I'm sure if there's a little experimentation, a way can be found to get some user interaction inside of a Quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="White Masquerade]( :P ) Bob you're too much.
True, true. There can still be a form of character interaction in Questing; it just depends on the creator and if they're willing to handle multiple NPC. Which brings up another bonus of Questing. It's a great way to practice NPC'ing without the stress of it being "live", as it is in Group Role-play.

I'm sure if there's a little experimentation, a way can be found to get some user interaction inside of a Quest.

[/QUOTE]
If I was a reasonable person I would cede your point as it brings an interesting concept to light. I could have loved to see that happen.

But I'm a Group RP Elitist and Questing is not and can never be as goos

Bobisdead123 said:
If I was a reasonable person I would cede your point as it brings an interesting concept to light. I could have loved to see that happen.
But I'm a Group RP Elitist and Questing is not and can never be as goos
Lol! Don't worry, when I close the blinds, lock my door, and go to sleep at night, I whisper the motto of the Group RP Master Race, just before I doze off. I'm on your side (^.^)

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Lol! Don't worry, when I close the blinds, lock my door, and go to sleep at night, I whisper the motto of the Group RP Master Race, just before I doze off. I'm on your side (^.^)

[/QUOTE]
Omfg lol this is great.

There's gonna be a holy war between Questers and Groupers. Only one can remain. This forum ain't big enough for the both of them

The crusade must begin

Bobisdead123 said:
Omfg lol this is great.
There's gonna be a holy war between Questers and Groupers. Only one can remain. This forum ain't big enough for the both of them

The crusade must begin
Unless...we launch a mass Inquisition to curb heretics before it even gets to war. They'll never expect it.

(Okay, I'm stopping xD )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back