Random Lunar Musings

Hopefully something really, really good. I love Lunars...but I can't bring myself to play one. I think they know how to do it well now, seeing as how well done the Alchemicals were done. I think it's going to be something highly look forward to.

My game has seen an Angler Fish, Worm, Rat and a Seagull as totems.  The Worm is one crazy s.o.b and likes to mess with people.

Hyena would be interesting, Porcupine you say? Hmm, very cool. I've personally wanted to play a lion Lunar.

My only fear in Lunars, is getting into the whole totem thing, and it winding up looking like a Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles convention--the Palladium version that is...

Yes.  With 300 to 500 Lunars it is very possible that each Lunar is pretty much the representative of their particular Totem's species.  Though, you could certainly have a canine Lunar convention or a feline Lunar convention or a raptor Lunar convention and get more than a few members to show up.

Yes, I'd probably be playing the White Fox Lunar.  Several tails on him as well.  And enough oddness that his feet would never transform back too.  Just because I'm a slave to my people's history...

i played a baboo, a ferret, and  a cricket, lemme just say the cricket looked bad ass in its DBM form.

Now THAT is epic.   :D I'd so make a No Moon storyteller out of him, been on the shoulders of a thousand pirates since the First Age.

Stillborn said:
Would it be reasonable to explain then that Lunars get favoured Abilities because of the skills they learned as mortals whereas Alchemicals are created' date=' and so can work on a more instinctual; no, that's not right, [i']mechanical[/i] level?
I think the real explanation is that Alchemicals were better conceived and executed, from a mechanical standpoint, than the Lunars were.

In an ironic reversal of the game's setting, the Lunars were a prototypical Attribute-based Exalt, whereas the Alchemicals were a later, more refined product.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Lunars in 2nd Ed.
Suppose that makes sense really, I was just looking for a way to justify the current mechanics in game.

~FC.

I've never really conceived insects as totems for Lunars, mainly because of their size.  But I suppose it would be pretty cool, however I would have to draw the line at a worm.  No good could ever come of it, not with my players.

~FC.

Certainly, with that whole "my skin is my breathing apparatus" and "I excrete piles of fertilized earth" and the "I'm blind and can only find my way around by vibrations" can all add up to so much power wanking...

Don't forget their ability to aerate soil, Jakk.

-S

Lunars i have seen thus far--

Fox (no moon)

Gopher (no Moon)

Chicken (Full moon, mock him and loose a limb)

Lemur (changling moon)

Trout (changling moon)

and my personal favriots

Hairless Mole (no moon)

Shrew (full moon)

Certainly' date=' with that whole "my skin is my breathing apparatus" and "I excrete piles of fertilized earth" and the "I'm blind and can only find my way around by vibrations" can all add up to [i']so[/i] much power wanking...
Is power wanking like power walking but with more emphasis on the final stages?

~FC.

I operate on the idea that there was 1 Sidereal advisor for each Circle of Solars.  100 Sidereals means 500 Solars, 500 equal Lunar companions, and I like the principle of fives, I figured at least 5 circles of Dragon Blood assistants.
Possibly not canon,  but I try to keep the logic consistant.
Thats some pretty good Logic. I  may actually decide to adopt this for my games.

Lunars being the representative of a species... Am I the only one reminded of Animal Avatars? Or am I just clueless and missed someone saying that?

I make some attempts at being reasonable.  Not often, maybe, but every now and then.  

Except where Furries are concerned.  Or Wisconson.  That my girlfriend is thinking about schools in the Chicago area is only more proof that Wisconson is a myth, and they don't want people to gig onto the ruse.  They offer her better aid and jobs to keep her from finding Them out...diabolical.

Lunars I've seen the character sheets to:

Scarab Beetle (full moon)

Scorpion (full moon)

Porcupine (full moon)

Rhino (full moon)

Lion male (full moon)

Tiger Shark (full moon)

Rat (full moon)

Duck (full moon)

Dolphin (changing moon)

Boar (changing moon)

Toad (changing moon)

Jakal (changing moon)

Fruit Bat (changing moon)

Fox (changing moon)

Wolf (no moon)

Bear (no moon)

Horse (no moon)

Lion female (no moon)

Snake (no moon)

Hyena (casteless)

Lion-Hawk (casteless)

Lizard-Bat (casteless)

Bear-Rhino (casteless)

Horse-Owl (casteless)

Owl-Bear (casteless)

Duck-Beaver (casteless)

...We play a lot of Lunar...

StarHawk said:
Scarab Beetle (full moon)
Did the player of this character realize that scarabs spend the majority of their time rolling up big balls of shit?

-S

I suppose they do have a certain mystique, given their importance in ancient Egyptian religion, but to me, "dung beetle" isn't really a heroic totem for a chosen of the gods.

-S

True, but a brilliant blue bug, who seem to operate in swarms, and who can apparently tear whoever it comes across apart, from the inside, that's pretty cool... And has a bit of a creepy-crawly factor...

Scarabs were all about the idea of rebirth, about protecting the dead.  Those are noble enough--and taking care of poop, especially in a land where fertilizer is needed, and agriculture is developing, is a big thing.  Sexy?  Not so much, but certainly thematic and appropriate for a game of demi-gods...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back