Rakshastan Ideas

I'm looking to run a game set in the Marches of Rakshastan, so I'm looking for some ideas on things the characters might see or encounter while there. Anything from a brief description of some kind of scenery, to creatures, or even a freehold or a Raksha.

Read Everville by Clive Barker (you probably should read Great and Secret Show first).

Quiddity, the Dream Sea, contains so many inspirations for E:tFF and Rakshastan, such as the liquid melding of flesh, and turning it into something other than it was (and also with other people) - the incorporation of elements (other than just water) into the flesh. Dissolution into pure energy/liquid. The things that lurk (and inspire) above and below. Reflection, avoidance, frustration and tranquil calm.

Bare in mind that Rakshastan is likely to reflect the players - unless someone's  got a story in play around them. Bare also in mind that this is going to be very incoherant without a story, as everything will be formless/irrelivant until actively made important by the players.

I'd suggest emphasizing light, and warmth. Both water and fire can have these qualities. A womblike, rebirthing (and birthing of others, without a Heart) experience would probably be relevant.

You could draw on deep sea creatures for ideas as they are fairly weird looking.  Also adding to ashenphoenix' point about light, extreme darkness with points of light in the distance (like biophospherence).

You could also have a freehold floating around on or carved into some kind of behemoth (again taking a cue from nature).

I had a freehold that was contained within a massive whirlpool (the rakshas palace was literally floating on the inward curve of the whirls).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back