Quintessential eXalted films

The anime version of Metropolis is inspired by Fritz Lang's vision, it isn't a retelling.  There are a ton of steampunky anime that you can draw on for some inspiration--including the umbiquitous Steam Detectives.  

You might also take a look at the Korean CG film Ark--which is showing on Encore for the next couple of months. Plenty of mystic fun, electricity arcing pseudo-magic, and weird ass mecha. And a voice over with James Woods.

There's also just for general Exalted inspiration, the incredibly visually complex Kaena--yes, it's French CG, but for action and a tale, it's a bit more on the Heavy Metal inspiration wagon, than it is High Fantasy. Weird tech, odd alien devices, and tons of very complex scenes with almost too much going on to keep track of.

I want whatever Team Evil got. They just got injected with evil in a syringe.

Anyway, I'm going to throw my hand in with Transformers: The Movie. It's dumbed down Alchemicals.

You might also take a look at the Korean CG film Ark--which is showing on Encore for the next couple of months. Plenty of mystic fun, electricity arcing pseudo-magic, and weird ass mecha. And a voice over with James Woods.
Do you have a director's name or some other distinguishing feature for this film? I'm trying to locate more information about this one, but just the title 'Ark' is proving to be less than optimal...

Ya know, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the anime Record of Lodoss War, in any of its only slightly varying incarnations. Yeah, it's better for D&D, but it can very easily be used for inspiration for an Exalted game.

Now, it definitely doesn't fit the genre of Exalted, but for examples of magic fused with technology, and how technology can become godlike, look at
Outlaw Star.

Also, I know it's mentioned in the core book, but
Ninja Scroll cannot be stressed enough. The awesome out of this world abilities are very good examples for this game. Fuedal Japan can easily be converted to a Dragon Blooded game with a few minor changes, especially in a confusing period when there is no ruler of the land. I've personally been debating making Dragon Blooded in my game far more samurai-esque, but I don't want to go through that headache...my Final Fantasy fanboy gaming group would get themselves executed in 5 minutes of being immersed in a true Bushido culture.

Now, for more cheesy anime, but good (well, I shouldn't say good...) examples of high powered combat, look to such cheesy series as
Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho, or any other superpowered martial arts anime.When they 'power up', it's a perfect example of spending peripheral motes. Despite much of the outdated cheesiness, just look at any mainstream anime.

I'm pretty sure no one mentioned them because the bulk of what you have mentioned are not movies.

Another one I had seen but forgotten was Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Good for some inspiration of what those Lookshy soldiers in magitech armour could be like. Ashigaru, or Gunzosha, I think they're called. Probably better suited for soldiers using the one that does not require the surgery that shortens your life.

It was mentionned in the Water Aspect Book :Master & Commander : The Far side of the World. It's great!

I rarely been in a Naval rpg storyline but this film is what you need for the way of life, the art of commanding and the naval warfare.

The scene where the physician extract the bullet from his own body screams Exalted valor.

Cause of this movie, I'm gonna place my next game on water.

Need some exemple for Dynast boarding school teacher's? Samuel L. Carter in Coach Carter, Denzel Washington in Remebering the Titans for Kevin Spacey in Pay it Forward the most righteous ones.

Unless i'm mistaken you managed to do 3 pages (and recomend million dollar baby as an exalted insp....) without mentioning Swordsman 2 with Jet Lee. One if not the biggest influence on the fyrst book.

Check it out you'll see why. Also FF Advent children has some very nice fight scenes.

That might be because it's mentioned right there in the Big White Book, and we pretty much assume that our Dear Author has already checked out the films from the BWB already.

I think that we're looking for films that might have dropped off the normal radar...

Not picking on you, just pointing out.  :wink:

BurningPalm said:
Ha! This film gave me the perverse idea of having a band of Solars touring the Scavenger Lands. As in, rock band. They're inspired musical geniuses, enhanced by the touch of the Unconquered Sun.
This has been done.

Has no one mentioned 'Fist of the North Star'?

go watch the old animated version of Fist of the North Star that movie is an hour and a half of pure Exalted-

I read charm descriptions (such as Blade of the Battle Maiden) all the time and am constantly reminded thet alot of the best Ideas of exalted came from that movie

Im pretty sure the whole anima flare thing comes from there before DBZ (of course Animas are a mainstay of Eastern P_hilosophy thats been around for Millinea

Hasn't anyone mentioned New Dragon Gate Inn

New Dragon Gate Inn for its evil eunuchs (dragon blooded) and heroic general and companions (Solars).  Great over the top stunts it is Exalted.  For that matter how about the legend of Fong Sai yuk (crap spelling) with its humour and overblown stunts.

My devious eclipse player has a golden viper from the storytellers companion book.  I've completely molded him after Marvin the parinoid android from Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.  

Oh, and boondock saints has got to be a great inspiration to me as well.[/b]

I'm surprised no ones mentioned Highlander. not that flashy but still. Centuries old master swordman.

jeriausx said:
I'm surprised no ones mentioned Highlander. not that flashy but still. Centuries old master swordman.
The thing is, Highlander isn't as over the top as most movies/series that could be matched with Exalted.  But yeah, I can see The Quickening as a sort of a shared Super Essence Shard that they're all battling to possess the entirety of.

this thread may have sorta died, but i just saw it and have a few more things to add in.....

Photon-

yes its a silly looking anime, but the stuff they pull in it makes up for it, a girl who can freeze time, a guy whos pretty much immne to everything and inhumanly strong? another girl who is a bit of a ditz and weilds some intristing mecha? not to menchion the stupid (but intristing bad guy) could easly become a plot in exalted.

Tenchi-

all of it..... i mean how can you not look at it and think exalted? expechlly with the sword fighting styles. (and the master key sword makes me think of beam klaives)

Unleashed-

Jet Li outdid himself in his acting here, it was visually thrilling and emoshionaly compelling, easy material for a abyssal trying to get away from their master.

Inyusha-

the whole series works perfectly for exalted, from the demon-blooded to the twisted sibling thats easly on par with a second circle or more demon to naraku who could serve as a good example of a Yotzi (or at least a 3rd cricle soul)

Daredevil-

Crappy movie, but great example of a night cast (or simlarly sneaky cast)

also in the list is Ranma 1/2, Knights Tale (heroic mortal), Mortal Kombat, Slayers, and Sorcerer Hunters, leauge of extrodnary gentelmen, golden child.... any of those is loaded chock full of exalted chars weilding their charms to their best (except knights tale)

one of the best sources for Exalted though isnt a movie but a game.... just play any of the Dynsty Warrior Serises and you have a combat Exalted.... to to menchion it is perfect for ideas of old style warfair

Perhaps

Perhaps I missed someone mentioning it.

But people!

Rouroni Kenshin - Wandering Samurai is probably the most Exalted-ish anime ever to be created! Epic characters, amazingly well drawn martial arts fights, a Violet Bier of Sorrows practitioner in the lead role, what's better than that?

And also - I adore Berserk, and it's both a very good solar game (Before Griffith's fall) and an excellent shadowland game (after the fall). For those who read the manga, Gatsu is an amazing character that demonstrates how bad a Great Curse can become when you ignore your nature :)

Leviathan

I really abhor anime, dont get me wrong i mean i have lots of anime dvd's because i once was a fan but all the dudes lookin like girls deal really freaked me out... regardless, true HK flicks are pretty good in terms of action and stunts but i perfer story over action alot of times and most of my characters are people first and warriors second.

If i had to reccomend any asian films i would say The Legend of Suriyothai, history of Thailand, its a crazy film with people riding elephants, huge armies, great costuming and a brilliant story line worthy of any exalted game. Really Dawn Caste'ish.

I am Surprised no one mentioned Hero. it struck me as a very Exalted style of movie maybe moreso then House of Flying Daggers. Plenty of vigorous combat and remember when broken sword and his girl stormed the castle fighting all those imperial soldiers, or when Donnie and Jet fought at the beginning of the movie?

Naturally Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a good inpiration for reasons that have been stated several times by other people.

The Duelist is a very good Korean movie that would be a good inspiration for a sidereal VBoS martial artist.

WArriors of Heaven and Earth. Yeah maybe not the best computer special affects but, the scenery is superb, and if you see the three main leading characters in action  especially the bag guy the mongol who always wears white and plays a violin/cello  you will see what i am talking about. The dude screams Hired solar mercenary leader. Or perhaps even a Fairfolk.

My western preferences would be:

Hardtimes with Charles Bronson, think poor renegade fighting in underground pit fights to make a living its an old movie and Bronson a pretty old guy but think of him as a seasoned exalted brawler.

I cant believe no one said Fightclub for a really gritty exalted game, or Heroic mortal game, true the fights are theatrical but they are bloody and gruesome and could really fit a Brawler or a game about derailing the Empire.

The Red Violin not an action movie at all but it could be an inspiration for an artifact highly sought after by people.  Good acting and brilliant story.

I know the acting is sorta cheesy at times but Conan perferably the first, makes a bad ass Lunar, he doesnt fight with flashiness he just fights to survive and is invincible in single combat.

Any of the Lotr movies i know some people may not agree but come on  you cannot deny that some of the character dont seem to have supernatural talents that could only be Exalted in nature.

Desperado, or Sin City, and Zorro ( the first one) both by Robert Rodriguez contain exalted like characters. Watch  Antonio Banderaz in Desperado and tell me he doesnt seem like a night caste. And in Zorro as well.  Sin city i do believe was already explained by someone else.

BRaveheart, always reminds me of the plottings of DB's to take Threshold back into their control. i think that Mel  could pull of a Zenith or Dawn caste renegade inspiring people.

I could list so many  more films but my post is long enough already. and i could mention Anime movies but i pretty much am not to fond of anime in general even if some of the movies do have good action. Someone else i am sure will list plenty about them.

Lotus said:
Any of the Lotr movies i know some people may not agree but come on  you cannot deny that some of the character dont seem to have supernatural talents that could only be Exalted in nature.
Or, y'know, of any other fantasy-type superpower nature. I'm not looking for magical powers; they're everywhere in fantasy. I'm looking for films that capture the feeling or themes of Exalted.

In LotR, Gandalf has some of the aspects of an Exalt, though you'd have to read the Silmarillion to appreciate he's on a mission from the gods jag. The Nazgul seem to be the closest these films have to Exalted, evoking bits and pieces of Abyssal themes: the servitude, the corruption, the unaturally long lives.

The only other thing I think LotR offers Exalted players are the pervasive reminders that the world was once more than it has become. I wouldn't recommend them as quintessential Exalted films. As films, yes, I love them. But not as Exalted films.

Shaolin Master Killer with Chia Hui Liu and Yu Wang(yes it is a real name) classic kung fu flick to give you ideas on training for your game. Basically that is all it is, crazy training exercises.

Also I think the new Batman's fighting style was amazing, can't remember the name of it though.

Its been 4 pages and no one has mentioned Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior yet?! The stunts in this movie alone scream Exalted. Half of them look like they would have given Jackie Chan a hernia, and none of it was CGI. It was all done by one talented actor. If you haven't seen it, you really owe it to yourself to watch it (and if you have it on DVD watch the French Rap video in the Special Features. I found it both amusing and actually rather well written lyrics to fit the music)

I cannot let any motherfucker badmouth Le Pacte de Loups, which is, aside from being an awesomely entertaining & beautifully shot film, a perfect - PERFECT - source of inspiration for Exalted.

The chevalier is a Twilight Solar; Mani is his Full Moon Lunar bodyguard; and the Marquis could be a Dragon-Blood or heroic mortal or something.  The bad guy is definitely an Abyssal, not just in his looks or actions, but also because he has a CREEPY BONE CHAIN-SWORD - obviously, the weapon of choice of a true champion of the Malfeans.

So anybody who wants to talk shit about Brotherhood of the Wolf on its own merits is free to be an aesthetic retard and talk shit.  But it's hard to fuck with it as a source of inspiration for Exalted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back