• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Quick question

DuckPrince

Bird & Horse lover
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It's something I noticed before but, I at some point had 'yaoi' written in my status box, and I distinctly remember when it was changed simply to 'mm', I think I had written 'yaoi roleplayer' but I don't understand why it got changed or censored(?) when it's not offensive and it doesn't necessarily mean anything sexual. It's literally a term like 'boy's love'

I mean, I'm not bothered by it, but I am curious, I never understood the reason behind it.

I obviously can't speak for the staff, and am not too sure about why they would do that myself. But if I had to take a guess then it'd probably be that, despite that you didn't intend it that way, the terms "Yaoi" and "Yuri" both generally do mean in a sexual context.

I obviously can't speak for the staff, and am not too sure about why they would do that myself. But if I had to take a guess then it'd probably be that, despite that you didn't intend it that way, the terms "Yaoi" and "Yuri" both generally do mean in a sexual context.
but wouldn't then BL also be censored, since it's also used for the same thing. But a lot of people casually use the term yaoi in conversations and it's not censored
Boys love and its abbreviation BL are the generic terms for this kind of media in Japan and have, in recent years, become more commonly used in English as well. However, yaoi remains more generally prevalent in English.
This is the wikipedia's definition, at least.

but wouldn't then BL also be censored, since it's also used for the same thing. But a lot of people casually use the term yaoi in conversations and it's not censored

This is the wikipedia's definition, at least.
I've never seen the term BL used in a sexual context. On the other hand, most of the yaoi I've heard of is. That's just my experience.

DuckPrince DuckPrince As far as my knowledge, no Staff has edited your custom title. Yaoi is a common word mentioned here to indicate slash or m/m pairings and it's fine as long as being used non-sexually.

DuckPrince DuckPrince As far as my knowledge, no Staff has edited your custom title. Yaoi is a common word mentioned here to indicate slash or m/m pairings and it fine as long as being used non-sexually.
Idk how long ago it was, but I remember having my message title/status as 'resident yaoi roleplayer' or something similar and I logged on one day and it was changed to 'resident mm roleplayer'. I didn't question it at the time, but I remember also going to one of my older partner searches and clarifying that I use yaoi simply as a term since I didn't want trouble if I edited it back to how it originally was (again, not wanting trouble or anything, I was just curious! Glad it's not a censored word though ^^')

Idk how long ago it was, but I remember having my message title/status as 'resident yaoi roleplayer' or something similar and I logged on one day and it was changed to 'resident mm roleplayer'. I didn't question it at the time, but I remember also going to one of my older partner searches and clarifying that I use yaoi simply as a term since I didn't want trouble if I edited it back to how it originally was (again, not wanting trouble or anything, I was just curious! Glad it's not a censored word though ^^')
I can only say that for the couple of years I've been a Moderator, I cannot recall a mention about your profile. I would say to just stick with M/M mostly because the term yaoi is still highly sexualized and it's better to err on the site of caution than attract people trying to break the rules. The same message is passed without using a term incorrectly XD

I can only say that for the couple of years I've been a Moderator, I cannot recall a mention about your profile. I would say to just stick with M/M mostly because the term yaoi is still highly sexualized and it's better to er on the site of caution than attract people trying to break the rules. The same message is passed without using a term incorrectly XD
okay cx I'll keep that in mind! Thank you for the quick answer though. I let go of the term anyway so there isn't any problem .3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back