Quick, probably silly question.

DireSloth

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out a small hole in my new character's backstory. Would it be likely, or at least feasible, for a Terrestrial working for the Realm but not affiliated with the military, Immaculates, or Wyld Hunt and a bit lax in his religious studies, to not recognize the Exaltation of a Solar for what it was, at least not at first?

DireSloth said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to work out a small hole in my new character's backstory. Would it be likely, or at least feasible, for a Terrestrial working for the Realm but not affiliated with the military, Immaculates, or Wyld Hunt and a bit lax in his religious studies, to not recognize the Exaltation of a Solar for what it was, at least not at first?
Glowing, golden light everywhere? It's a Solar.

I don't think anyone can mistake an Exaltation for something else. When people start glowing then they're an Anathema.

That's what I thought at first, but then I remembered that Creation is a very high-magic setting in general, where superhuman feats and technicolor light displays are at least slightly common. I mean, don't the Terrestrials themselves tend to be rather glowy?

They get glowy, but with the power of the elements. Fire Aspects literally burn with fire, etc.

If it's a person glowing with just light/darkness, it's an Anathema by Immaculate dogma. It might not be an actual Exalt, but Godbloods with Aura of Power can be just as persecuted. Better to kill it now than risk finding out you were wrong.

DireSloth said:
That's what I thought at first, but then I remembered that Creation is a very high-magic setting in general, where superhuman feats and technicolor light displays are at least slightly common. I mean, don't the Terrestrials themselves tend to be rather glowy?
Dragon-blooded doesn't have anima banners for a first (At least that is what I get from explanation in various books) second current creation is not a high magic setting maybe mid level but definitly not high. 3rd anyone related to Realm heavily informed about anathema no matter who they are and even they are lax, you can't simply miss display of exaltation and not associate it with an anathema. 4th DB anima effects are different than celestial ones so it is almost impossible even for a commoner to confuse one of them for the other.

Kyeudo said:
If it's a person glowing with just light/darkness, it's an Anathema by Immaculate dogma. It might not be an actual Exalt, but Godbloods with Aura of Power can be just as persecuted. Better to kill it now than risk finding out you were wrong.
Ah, I see. I knew that anyone with even a passing knowledge of Immaculate dogma would know that Anathema = Bad, I just wasn't sure if the average layperson would know that glowy + caste mark = Anathema, given how warped a perception the Order has of Solars in the first place.

I don't see any reason not to suspend disbelief a bit and say maybe you don't realize what's going on. Having never seen an anathema, one may expect tentacles, horns, and a slathering maw full of evil. Seeing someone you actually think well of glow with holy power while fighting off a terrible threat from beyond sanity doesn't have to make you lose it to religiously charged hatred...Maybe you're just not sure...

Maybe you do recognise it subconsciously, but don't *want* to believe it. Especially if said exalt is someone you know, or is generally being helpful.

Thing is, Immaculate doctrine specifically mentions the marks of the Anathema, the Caste mark. That's a pretty good give away. Of course, such mentions the marks of Solars, and Lunars. Abyssals are going to have issues what with their marks being similar to Solars too. Sidereals caste marks will be somewhat less troublesome, since they're not officially mentioned, but...are going to draw attention. Similarly with Infernal caste marks. Non-terrestrial anima banners are also likely to draw attention, though a knowledgeable Immaculate or Wyld hunt member may recognize such as a potential sign of a mere Godblood and not true Anathema. A wise move, as any Celestial Exalt can often be posing as a godblood of some form. While the creation of such by those who are not Dragonblooded is illegal in the Realm, it isn't exactly viewed as a crime that the child committed but instead their parents. Generally, godblooded's parents are punished, not the godblooded themselves, who are instead pushed towards the Legions or the Immaculate Order in the same way as Lost Eggs. Better to put the magical power to work than to have it work against you. (p. 42, Blessed Isle)

If it were just a golden glow the character could feasibly say "oh! i didn't know you studied Golden Janissary Style!" but if you mean the moment the person is chosen by the US to be a Sunchild, then no, the Caste Mark burns brightly on their forehead (plus if they are a Dawn Caste a whole lotta people just started running away in terror.)

It presumed that the Order would relay the distinguishing marks of the Anathema in as simple a manner as possible that can be easily remembered, just like how you can identify poison ivy (or was it oak? either way, it's the "poison" part that's important) with "leaves of three? let it be"

so "glows like the sun? get your gun!"

"yellow mark on the brow? kill it now!"

Actually, at least during the Shogunate, there was a quite specific official response to such, including warning of the proper caste marks, with accompanying pictures. The 1E Fire Aspect Book has a rather nifty passage on such on page 68.

The basic reference warns that Anathema can take over anyone, even your friends and family, be wary and report it, better to be wrong and have it proved that way through investigation than note report it. It mentions that all non-Terrestrial Anima banners should be reported, and specifically mentions the caste mark. The pamphlet even includes pictures for reference.

Really, considering that Anti-Anathema response is if anything greater in the modern era, I doubt that they are less efficient in the basic education. Remember that the basic schooling in the Realm for the common folk is usually done by Immaculate monks, and involves things like learning to read from catechisms. The schooling in primary school and secondary school similarly has considerable religious education.

The basic education in primary schools includes archery, sword play, athletics, history, geography, political science, the Immaculate Philisophy, natural philosophy and spirit lore. Some primary schools even include basic Thaumaturgy in their curriculum. (p. 20, Dragonblooded) Further, the education of Lost Eggs sent on to Pasiap's Stair or to the Immaculate Order is first improved by...Immaculate instructors. It's...unlikely such an uneducated individual would be found. Recognizing the marks or the like should be easy. On the other hand, a sorceror might think 'Can't be worse than the demons I summon daily...', or some one might be convinced THIS Anathema isn't so bad or the like. But simply being ignorant of what an Anathema is, after they've flared their anima suggests not just a poor education, but that someone is blind. If the Dragonblooded meets the basic Lore 2 that's required of a properly educated Realm Dragonblooded, they should be able to recognize such. An Outcaste who fails to meet such might not, but even then, if raised in the Realm or its tributaries, it's doubtful.

If the said Dragon-Blooded wasn't associated with Realm than he may not recognise it at the first sight but will inform wyld hunt anyway like Ledaal Kajiri said wyld hunt does not srat immediatly they sent an investigator first depending on who informed them. If investigator reaches the conclusion that this is an anathema problem than only wyld hunt begin. Since most of great families draw their powers from Threshold to Realm, it would be hard to find good numbers of dragon-blooded but local militia might provide soldiers.

However in your case a dragon-blooded associated with Realm (it doesn't matter if he isn't affliated with military, wild hunt or immaculate order) will recognise caste mark, it will be the first thing he tries to see and the moment he saw an anathema caste mark, he will attack the anathema. If he isn't sure he can beat this one than he will follow anathema and will inform Realm in the first chance.

You can think this whole business as witch hunt in the middle age, if people even suspect that you are performing witchcraft, they will try to burn you without giving you chance to speak. Only difference is your display of power is so obvious that noone in a spear throw distance can miss it.

Only reasonable solution may be if you are a night caste and dragon-blooded saw after your anima powers kick in than you may have a tiny bit chance to avoid being attacked but staying in that city is still too much dangerous.

Ok so I think I've managed to iron out that hole in my backstory, but I may have just done something even stupider and more incongruous. See, my backstory holds that my character's husband is a Terrestrial who abandoned his house and his duties to be with her. She ended up Exalting in front of him. He agreed to tell everyone she had died in the disaster that triggered her transformation to keep the Wyld Hunt away and help her move into her new life anonymously, but I'm not sure why he wouldn't just assume she had been possessed by whatever the Immaculates think possesses non-Terrestrial Exalted. Since she's a Zenith, right now I've got the Unconquered Sun saying "Oh by the way, your wife isn't really evil" to him during his required appearance, but the source book seems to suggest that his appearance before the newly-Exalted is more of a spiritual manifestation that cannot interact with anyone else. Guess I should just ask the ST if it's ok...

How about you go with the human answer to your conundrum and say the husband, even knowing she had probably been possessed by a demon, could not bear the thought of turning her in to the Wyld Hunt. Have him be conflicted, even trying to search for a "cure" for her "curse." Love will make anyone do some stupid things.

The vision a Zenith is granted is not a physical manifestation, as far as I know, so no one else can see it.

Still, I think that even if you've never heard of what a Solar is you'll still know a Solar Exaltation when you see one.

I don't see them doing it subtle-like.

If the husband isn't particularly attached to the Immaculate philosophy and has some basic understanding of what demon/spirit possession is supposed to look like, his reaction to his wife's Exaltation may be more along the lines of 'Those lying bastards!'

Alternatively, one can have the husband go the 'Nothing this wonderful could be evil' route. A bit naive and ultimately wrong, but it'll work in the short run.

Also, it's not like UCS can't manage to be visible if he wants to. It's a simple enough use of a charm he's even listed as most likely having...he doesn't even have to look up from the Games to do it. Could simply say Exaltation of a Zenith counts as a form of prayer, and POP Emergency Prayer Relocation visit by a part of the Unconquered Sun to say hey, have a few minutes chat, and go back home after passing on his personal message. Glories makes it clear that the vision, visit, what have you is not a pre-recorded message, but actually his personal attention, for a very short time. And, specifically, the Exaltation of a Solar is considered a prayer to him.

strawberryleaves said:
If the husband isn't particularly attached to the Immaculate philosophy and has some basic understanding of what demon/spirit possession is supposed to look like, his reaction to his wife's Exaltation may be more along the lines of 'Those lying bastards!'
Alternatively, one can have the husband go the 'Nothing this wonderful could be evil' route. A bit naive and ultimately wrong, but it'll work in the short run.
It's possible to rationalize why you disbelieve the Immaculate Philospphy, but Immaculates have taken great pains, over centuries, to avoid creating a religion that's fails on simple observation.

Caste Marks should be as obvious as modern religious symbols. Knowing that Anathema are always sweet and good, and become corrupted over time, is almost as well known.

It's a stretch that someone would just suddenly think, "Hey, Anathema aren't so bad. I have no evidence whatsoever that this one is a nice guy, and won't fall to corruption like all the rest, but I'm gonna believe that anyway."

It's more believable to say something like "This one will be different. It has to be. Please! Gods! Let this one be different! Don't let this one be tempted! Don't let this one fall! Why? Why did this happen? Damn you, Anathema! I will not let you take this one! I will stand fast and true, and show the way to rightousness! And this one... it will be different. Please.... please... let it be different."

Also' date=' it's not like UCS can't manage to be visible if he wants to. It's a simple enough use of a charm he's even listed as most likely having...he doesn't even have to look up from the Games to do it. Could simply say Exaltation of a Zenith counts as a form of prayer, and POP Emergency Prayer Relocation visit by a part of the Unconquered Sun to say hey, have a few minutes chat, and go back home after passing on his personal message. Glories makes it clear that the vision, visit, what have you is not a pre-recorded message, but actually his personal attention, for a very short time. And, specifically, the Exaltation of a Solar is considered a prayer to him.[/quote']
However, it is explicitly stated he's turned his back on the world and doesn't care about the Solars any more.

Because if he knows what's happening in the world, his Perfect Compassion requires him to do something about it. Therefore he plugs his ears and never budges from the Games of Divinity.

I see Zeniths getting some sort of canned message, frequently "Go out and destroy those Primordial SOBs!" which results in a lot of very confused, very misguided Solars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back