Quick Color Resources

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
A repost of an old tutorial resource thread. Have fun, and color safely!

DeGraeve's Color Palette Generator
You put in the URL of an image and it spits out a muted and a bright palette based on the colors in the image.

Color Me Curious
A Tumblr blog of user-submitted palettes. The quality varies, but it's a good blog to follow if you're into palette challenges.

Adobe Color CC (wheel)
All hail Adobe, the slavemaster of our artistic souls. This page has a color wheel and various settings and sliders to allow you to toy around and create your own color palettes.

Adobe Color CC (explore)
This page is similar to the Color Me Curious blog - it's all the palettes that have been saved and submitted to Adobe Color. You can sort by popularity and by keyword. You can also select a palette and edit your own copy of it in the wheel if you want to tweak it.

ColorHexa
Input a hex or rgb code (or even a name) for a color, and it will bring up information on that color including a description, similar alternative colors, and suggested color schemes.

New from welian:

500 Named Colors
Bigass list of hexidecimal colors by name, good for simple web design needs and BBCode based forums.

Color Palettes
My main source of color palettes, a collection of palettes based on professional photography.

Akula Kreative Blog
The blog of a design company. Has good palettes and good design advice.

From @Musician

Paletton
This one is probably one of my favorites when I'm trying to come up with color schemes. It's a great tool if you're starting to get into the whole designing thing. There is a ton of different ways for you to alter the color scheme, too. As you get used to designing with colors, it may seem "unreliable" in terms of the variety and aesthetics go, but I still go back to it if I need a little boost or inspiration.

ColorPicker
ColorPicker is great if you're just trying to look for a specific color without having to worry about the scheme. I find it much easier to use than other color pickers and it is also more convenient than having to download or open a photo editor.

HTML Color Mixer
This is great if you're trying to learn how colors will mix on the interwebs. It's usually not like your typical paint. For example, blues and yellows don't always make green (trippy I know)! It's definitely worth using if you're curious about how more of the color stuff plays with one another.

Remember, the tool only does what the artist tells it to. No matter what colors you pick, your work will look ugly if you do not practice basic color theory. Colors on the Web has a decent article on the different types of color contrast and how to utilize them.

Last edited:
How to pull a color palette from an image in Photostop
Open your image in Photoshop (img source)

Go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color

This brings up the Indexed Color dialogue box. You'll need to set it to Local (Perceptual) color, with no forced colors, no transparency, and no dithering.

The image might not look different at first. You have to start editing the number of colors. For example, 24 colors.

16 colors.

6 colors - jackpot!

So long as the image mode is set to Indexed, you can bring up the Color Table, which shows you a list of all the colors used in that image.

Bingo~!

And that's how I've been pulling key colors out of images for roleplays! It's a good way to generate a cohesive color scheme for a layout.

(This tutorial post is dedicated to fluticasone fluticasone for being a fellow typography nerd)

Y'all should post in here with the results of your experiments, btw. I wanna see you guys do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back