Questions on running a Lookshy Game

dgiannantonio

Hiya there. Pretty newb Storyteller here, just to warn you. I have been toying with the idea of starting a game on RPOL based out of Lookshy. It would consist of about 3 or 4 PC's, Solars to be exact. They would make up an elite group of sorts amongst Lookshy's army, going on various missions and such seeing to the interests of the Command Corps.

I have some broad ideas fo what I want to do, the players to do, and kinds of action, but I have a few questions. Mainly, I am interested in the kinds of things you all have run, involving Lookshy, pitfalls, suggestions, things gone wrong...just anything I should look out for, or anything you've tried that didn't work (or did work really well).

I'm running a lookshy game myself right now, and I've found the following things to be helpful:

1. Prepare a cheat sheet. Fill it up with everything you might need for quick reference. My one contains the rank structure, the gentes and minor houses, the various political factions, the directorates and some other junk. I've found it invaluable.

2. Make sure you try to separate the Immaculate Order and the Immaculate Faith. (although, since the PCs are commando Solars, I assmue you're making a few changes to the setting anyway) While the two religions are quite similar in a lot of ways, they differ on several key points.

3. Just because Lookshy is a powerful military force, doesnt mean they automatically win everything. Since much of the equipment they use is irreplaceable, they will often hesitate to commit serious units (Gunzosha, warstriders etc.) to even minor battles, preferring to use more conventional second age forces.

4. Make sure you play up the lookshy emphasis on a persons merit rather than their birthright. At the same time Exalted characters are simply better than mortals. That can be a tricky balancing act from time to time. Likewise, remember that Lookshy warriors are honorable warriors. While this doesnt mean they're all honest as the day is long, it also means that many of them expect high standards of chivalry from both themselves and their colleagues.

5. Lookshy is pretty much the only force in all of the 2nd age to have a real Special Operations unit. The rangers play an enormously important tactical role in Lookshy military deployment.

6. When all else fails, Lookshy has 5 thousand-forged dragons. Thousand-Forged-Dragons win. As the old saying goes: When in doubt, dont hesitate to unleash several thousand tonnes of essence driven, magically forged, first age carnage on your enemies.

Yeah, just to add to what's been said; you're going to have to make some alterations to the setting I think.  Whilst Lookshy's religion doesn't SPECIFICALLY say "slaughter all Solars" it doesn't accept them as being awesome or great either.  I'd think the most you can look for from Lookshy residents is a grudging mistrust, or at least in the first stages of the game.  Also, the Solars would HAVE to be Lookshy residents.  No doubt about it.  I mean, they're barely gonna take Solars, never mind Solars from "outta town".

At least that's my 2 cents :P

Are the Solars openly Solar, or are there pains taken to avoid this being public knowledge? This will affect the feel of the campaign quite a bit.

Also, what is their backstory? Why has the Council elected to allow the use of Anathema first-hand? Are they the first--an experiment--or is there already a tradition?

Regardless of how you have Lookshy's attitude towards Solar Anathema, it's just a political reality that they won't be allowed to go around saying "hi, I'm one of the Forsaken and I've come to kick ass for the Seventh!". They need:

- plausible deniability

- black ops portfolio

- a secret base

- backup. lots of backup

- a paranoid conspiracy secretly running the show and making sure they don't get out of hand.

I'm thinking kinda like a standard superhero setup, with an underground lair and secret identities and stuff, crossed with Eva and the X-files.

Warstriders. With explosive deployment from their flying fortress.

BurningPalm said:
Regardless of how you have Lookshy's attitude towards Solar Anathema, it's just a political reality that they won't be allowed to go around saying "hi, I'm one of the Forsaken and I've come to kick ass for the Seventh!". They need:
- plausible deniability

- black ops portfolio

- a secret base

- backup. lots of backup

- a paranoid conspiracy secretly running the show and making sure they don't get out of hand.

I'm thinking kinda like a standard superhero setup, with an underground lair and secret identities and stuff, crossed with Eva and the X-files.

Warstriders. With explosive deployment from their flying fortress.
Well lookshy has those two secret redoubts... there could be some kind of gold faction in the 7th thing going on and voila. spec ops solars in warstriders kick ass for the 7th and get trained in badass martial arts.

Actually, Lookshy has four secret redoubts. They are all specifically located in places far far away from any domains or manses because the primary function of those four redoubts is to house Lookshy's four functional thousand forged dragons. They also serve as secret depots and staging grounds for secret Lookshy units, such as your Solars.

Most citizens of Lookshy dont even know they exist, so that lends to the conspiracy theory quite well.

Which leads us back to the question: why would the Seventh Legion take a flyer on Anathema? It's not as if they're lacking in history regarding the Usurpation, the First Age, and what dizzying heights of power the Celestials are capable of climbing to.

Well, they won't be openly "Solar", the people they answer to directly will know of course, but generally it will be a small group of empowered Lookshy Commanders who know the truth. They will of course be very restristed when in Lookshy proper, and even when afeild lest they blow the whole thing.

Whether their the first of an experiment or one group of many will remain unknown for the most part, though it will SEEM like they are the first of their kind. Basically, my main idea for motivation to use the Solars involved A. The rising extreme threats in the East (Deathlords, Lunars, etc) B. Power vacuum of the Empress. The Council, seeing these two problems/opportunties, is looking to exploit them by any means necessary.

They will have a black ops portofolio and handlers and their will be much deniability if they screw up. The secret base won't happen right away. They'll be kept in Lookshy between meetings probably in a mini compound somewhere in the central Manse. Eventually they will move to their own location, maybe one of the secret redoubts, maybe one I make up. Eventually though I'd like them to move to their own fortress out in the east, but more on that in a minute. Warstriders are also on the menu.

My one concern with the secret redoubts is that the Lookshy Commanders KNOW that these guys are possibly crazy evil Anathema, so they might not be too keen on putting them in place next to some awesomely powered WMD's.

As for what I have planned, right now I kind of foresee three main arcs. The first part will be various missions. Linear and straightforward ti will give the group time to work out together, get some real in game comradery and go out and accomplish things both they and I want done in game. Next will come the war, with who, I have some ideas but nothing set in stone, and I am not going to say it here for fear of spoilers. This will be a hefty conflict both large and small scale. The third part involves them going out on their own a little, and setting the stage for their eventual break from Lookshy. This is where the aforementioned Eastern Fortress comes into play.

Okay. Now for the converse: why are the Solars sticking around? Yes, they're Lookshy residents, but is loyalty thicker than Exaltation and constant suspicion?

Okay. Now for the converse: why are the Solars sticking around? Yes' date=' they're Lookshy residents, but is loyalty thicker than Exaltation and constant suspicion?[/quote']
Well there is a case of one solar redoing her oath to the perfect of paragon after the exaltation freed her. So yes I think loyality can go a long way in exalted... especially when considering that lookshy can easily be seen as the good guys.

Alternatively, Lookshy is magitechnologically advanced enough that they could totally pull some kind of snake pliskin-esque trick to keep those naughty Solars in line.

You know,

"Do the mission or we wont give you the antidote"

or

"Do the mission or we'll blow your head off with this immovable artifact explosive collar"

Although, if thats the case you're making the Solars more like slaves, which probably makes the game less fun.

Either way, if Lookshy were knowingly employing Solars they'd definitely have some kind of panic button or kill switch installed, maybe not even planning to use it, but...just in case.

Yes, optimally I'd like the Solrs to act willingly either because their from Lookshy, see the good in them, or are able to be bribed by First Age goodies. The slavery thing wouldn't work, and while I could technically see an exploding essence collar for one Solar, I wouldn't want to force all of them.

Depending who is really behind recruiting the Solars, their will be some very effective means of controlling/killing them, if they go rabid. Probably a combo of artifacts and people power.

Additionally, would any one be interested in playing in this game on a play by post via RPOL?

I would...

and I've got another idea... if its not too late.

you COULD have them be there in secret... or bring some terror so terrible, (like say the deaht lords, or the fair folk) that forces the people of lookshy to cooporate with or even subordinate themselves too the solars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back