• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Pushed into Love [Wanderlust and Maxwelle]

Ariel

The Mermaid Slayer
Supporter

Arranged marriages are one of the biggest gambles...

While the reasoning may be just, the feelings they're expected to have towards each other is not,

because love is not arranged.​

Rhea sent a soft tap to the door of the Williams family home. She had a small leather suitcase in one hand and the other was raised to knock on the door. Her father had told her she was expected at the house for the weekend to visit her... Fiance. The word felt foreign to her and she didn't like it. Rhea didn't even know him aside from the fact that his name was Josiah. Trying to wipe the frown off her face, she straightened her small peach colored dress and stared at the wooden door with disdain.

@Wanderlust

The brunet hastily snatched the pillow his head was resting on, before burying his face into it. The incessant knocking is driving him crazy minute by minute, making his ears hurt and his mood surly. After another series of knocking, he finally stood up and opened his bedroom door, only to find Hannah, the family's loyal headmistress. Hannah Beaufort is one of his mother's closest friends. She volunteered to manage the household while Mr. and Mrs. Willams are away, in exchange for food and lodging (Which is a great deal for a family with an unstable source of income such as his). "Good morning Josiah. I trust that you are ready to meet your fiancée as discussed?" Hannah asked curtly with her eyebrow raised in disdain at his disheveled appearance. "I have invited Ms. Valentine in the living room. Please get yourself ready immediately. You should not keep your lady waiting." With that, she spun on her heels and went down the hall. Josiah ran a hand through his hair and groaned. His lady. His fiancée. The words sounded foreign to him. Foreign and disgusting. After a deep breath and a quick trip to the bathroom, he pulled on a white dress shirt and black trousers with dress shoes to match before heading downstairs.

She's clad in a small, peach colored dress that fits her petite frame, while soft, brown hair frames her heart shaped face. Beside her sits a small, leather suitcase.This is the first time that he had seen, or met for that matter, Rhea Valentine and something about her makes him feel... weird. Josiah ran a hand through his still disheveled hair as he looked sideways and caught a glimpse of Hannah's disapproving glare. "Welcome lady ordinary. I'm Josiah Williams," he crossed his arms instead of offering a hand, "and to be perfectly honest, I don't want a little ordinary girl as my fiancée." He looked down on her, as he was taller, with a smirk plastered on his face.

Rhea was grateful for the woman who called herself Hannah to let her in. It was hot outside and Rhea didn't fancy waiting all day for Josiah. Really, she didn't want to be here at all. It wasn't that it was different than she was used to but that the place just made her uncomfortable. After waiting a good amount of time her soon-to-be husband finally decided to grace her with his presence. He appeared looking like he'd given almost no thought to his appearance and looked to be in a sour mood.

Then, when he basically insulted her, Rhea decided she'd had enough. She stood abruptly to meet him though even then he was a good amount taller. How dare he? "And you think I'd want to marry you? At least I look presentable," Rhea scoffed. "In case you didn't already know, my name is Rhea Valentine and you are lucky to have me." She tried not to let her voice portray the hurt she felt. It wasn't her fault she was being forced into marrying this unmannerly man!

Assessing the damage that had been done, Hannah Beaufort immediately strode in the living room before Josiah could open his mouth in response. "I'm very sorry Ms. Valentine, Josiah is just tired." She shot him another one of her trademark glares while Josiah frowned and looked away. "You look very lovely today Ms. Valentine, isn't she Josiah?" Hannah continued, willing him to apologize for his insolent behaviour. She then continued staring at him as a way of letting him know that his parents will hear of this if he does not fix it. "I look presentable," Josiah muttered under his breath, "my hair just won't behave the way I want it to." He then turned his gaze back to Rhea. "You look... very lovely today lady Rhea Valentine." He paused to look down at his shoes. "I'm... sorry and I am... lucky to have you." As he finished the last of the sentence, Josiah's cheeks turned a slight colour of pink. Hannah smiled in approval and clapped her hands. "I'll go fetch a cup of tea for each of you. I hope you two get along when I come back."

When the headmistress was gone, Josiah slumped into one of the empty seats. He hated having to apologize for something that he truly meant. The Valentine girl is making him uneasy and he did not like the feeling. He blames Hannah for making him always do "proper" things. He placed his elbow on the armrest and rested his cheek on the back of his hand. He can still feel the heat from the blood rushing to his cheeks. He sent a glare at Rhea's direction, also blaming her for ruining his morning.

Rhea sat down a few moments later knowing he didn't mean what he said. And if he did? It wouldn't make a difference either way. She was perched on the edge of her seat like she was ready to bolt from the house any minute. Deciding that looking at Josiah only upset her at the moment, she focused her gaze out the window, and watched the swaying of the nearby tree canopies with a wistful expression. To think she could be at home, sitting in her garden...

Turning to look back at Josiah, she said in a cold tone, "Look. I get it. You don't like me. Think instead of fussing like a child you could just suck it up?" Rhea didn't think too fondly of hearing his harsh words the entire weekend. She knew her voice was probably just as harsh but it wasn't like she purposely set out to ruin his life.

"I'm not a child," Josiah muttered, but he had to admit that she's right. They do not have any other choice but to get married. And if they are going to spend the rest of their lifetimes together, they might as well start to get along, however impossible that may sound. As he watched Rhea from the corner of his eye, he noticed that she was staring wistfully outside towards trees and greenery. "It feels warm in here," he said after a moment of oppressive silence. "I'll be heading outside to the garden. It's cooler out there." He got up from his seat and walked towards his fiancée. "You... can walk with me... if you like." Josiah ran a hand through his hair and looked away as he felt another surge of blood running up his cheeks. "Hannah will understand if we're not here for tea." He offered her a hand.

Rhea blinked at him for a moment before gingerly taking his hand. "I... would like that." She stood a little too eagerly and self consciously straightened the skirt of her dress. Although, she was a little guilty for bailing on the tea; her father had always installed in her, strict manners. Still, the day looked lovely and perhaps it be a good chance to at least attempt to build some sort of positive relationship with Josiah even if she didn't want to marry him. The simple fact that he'd invited her out had surprised her. When he looked away, Rhea stole a peek at his expression before returning her gaze out the window.

He placed the brunette's hand on his arm and led the way to the garden, hoping that Hannah did not mind their absence. But he knew she wouldn't; after all, she was the one who insisted that they meet each other earlier than the expected date, with the excuse that it's better to get acquainted before the marriage and avoid further complications. Hannah probably thought that his fiancée's grace and proper manners will change the "unruly and obnoxious" lad that she says he is. "What are you looking at?" Josiah asked with a frown as he noticed Rhea peeking at him. "If you were given a chance to back out of this marriage arrangement," he began, trying to break the silence once again, "what would you do instead?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back