• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rift Jumper

DctrCat

our_ends_are_beginnings_by_paradisiacpicture-d7oasob.jpg

Sometimes, things happen. Things that are almost impossible to believe or too far fetched to really accept. These things are pushed aside and if not thought about for a long time, the mind stops seeing them. These things can be simple things; or they can be far more abnormal. They can be occurrences, places or people. Perhaps shooting stars or the marvel of electricity or the smell of babies or people falling from seemingly out of nowhere in the sky.

Some people, sometimes born with or sometimes... given, special gifts. One of which is beginning to be noticed, not by many, but a few. The ability to create and destroy 'rifts' in the world, allowing someone to travel from one place to another, as if stepping through a doorway in a house. Commonly given the name 'portal' by some.

Is there a science behind it? Perhaps. There are not enough people who are enough of the existence of this ability for anyone to research and, how would you? You capture anyone, they vanish through a self made escape hatch in the ground. Anyone willing? How do you even test something as unlikely to exist as this?

There are other abilities, some not as great and some possibly even more powerful. Some given to people through less pleasant means. Extreme circumstances can give birth to people with these powers, though it takes time to master.

New 'rifters' must be careful, jumping through an unstable rift could cause a lost limb, if the rift was to close during use. Those more experienced are able to maintain a rift for days or weeks at a time, allowing it to be used simply as a doorway.Some are able to remove someone's control of a rift, and take it for themselves. This allows them to open and close another persons rift, or even change the location of it. Excessive rifting can cause extreme nausea and drowsiness, if used too much in a short period of time. Let yourself work up to this point, don't tire yourself out.

A warning: Keep hidden. Though rifters are not well known by the general public, some organisations have begun to notice us. Military and government groups, seeking for new ways to do missions have approached with offers of money or rewards, or simply captured rifters and forced them into completing jobs. Do not let yourself be noticed, or at the very least, try to be discreet about appearing out of nowhere. These notes are brief but I hope they give you some insight into the abilities, should you find my research. Good luck out there, the world is tough and full of frightful things but, we are able to simply drop away from them.

Written by: Bejanmin Hardlock, age and location unknown.

"I don't think you should run this one!" A young girl, around the age of 10, followed behind the steps of a blue hair woman. The woman ignored the girl and continued walking towards the back ally way. "Please, Jewel! You heard what David said! There is something going on!"

Jewel turned on her heel and faced the girl.

"Do you want to eat?" Jewel asked, her voice was serious.

'Yes but..."

"Then I guess I have no choice! I have to win to get us money for food, right?" Jewel smiled at herself and turned back around.

"No you don't! You just want to do it because you want everyone to look at you!" The girl kicked the back of Jewels leg and turned and ran. Jewel could only turn and watch the girl run into street from which they came from. She was going to call after her, make sure she was okay but she knew the girl would of ran out of hearing distance by now.

Walking up the steps to the back door of the place she rented out, Jewel pushed it open and looked inside. The door way went to the kitchen and usually by know there would be a bunch of kids piled around the table, ready to eat any thing they could get their hands on. Jewel got a few things from her last run but she lost a lot when the alarms went off in the store.

"Hey, anyone home?" Jewel called out as she pulled in a few black bags of groceries and sat them down on the counter. "Hello? Come help me put things up!" She called out again.

Instead of kids running down the stairs and into the kitchen, a man with short blonde hair and several scars came out and into the kitchen.

"Hello my Jewel." Jewel didn't hear him coming and jump at the sound of this voice. She quickly turned around to face him, hiding one black bag behind her back.

"David...your back..." Her voice was almost cold but nervous.

"You make it sound like a bad thing?" David walked up to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek before going to the fridge to pull out a beer. She eyes him, confused, knowing she did not keep beer in the fridge where to the kids could get to it.

"Where are the kids?" Jewel asked.

"I sent them out on some runs. Nothing big." She could tell by the way he was talking, that he was lying.

"Why would you send them out. Only 2 of them are can open rifts and only one of the two can get through. What are the other kids doing?"

David turned quickly and raised an eye brow.

"Well, look at you. Acting all motherly towards the kids. When did you care?" He turned back to his beer and started going through all the bags. He was looking for something. The bad Jewel had behind her.

"I have always cared. I wouldn't do any of this unless I cared..."

"Right. You wouldn't become a well known rifter in all the major cities and have everyone at your feet?" His voice made her angry and she clutched her hand.

"Hey...watch it. You know that not it." David took another look at her and sighed. Placing the beer down on the table, he walked over and wrapped on arm around her, pulling her hips against his.

"Hey baby, don't be so upset. I know you do it for the kids." David moved forward and planted his lips onto Jewels. She wanted to pull back into disgust but she remember the last time she did that...she ended up with a black eye. Playing along, she kissed back but slowly moved away. She could feel his hand reaching behind her. He was going for ether her butt or the bag. As she moved, she noticed that he had fresh new tattoo on his chest, peaking out through his shirt collar and a new chain necklace. The further she moved back, the more she noticed that he was wearing nice new clothes things. Her stomach started to turn.

"David...where are the kids?" Jewel asked once more, this time with a more serious tone.

"Jesus! Why do you always asked about those damn kids?! Don't I matter to you!" He snapped. His hand quickly grabbed hers and he threw her against the table. It wasn't much force but enough to make her drop her bag and make some food spill out of bags. David eyed the bag and grabbed at it.

"Good. You got what I needed." David reach inside and pulls out loads of cash and money.

"Thats for the kids! They need new clothes and real food for once!" She grabbed for the bag but David held it out of reach.

"Now now, don't be like this. I need things too!" His voice was both joking but serious. She knew this mood. This mood almost got her killed half the time.

"Give me the bag back David. I can go on a separate run later." She held out her hand, hoping he would give in.

"Oh you will be. Like we agreed, you will enter into tonights race. And you will win." He stood there counting the money. Acting as if she was not a threat.

"No...I won't!" Lifting her hand and using her finger like a knife, she cut a small line in the air that simmered. The cut opened and another open by Davids hand that held the bag. Reaching quickly through the rip, she grabbed the bag. David was to quick. Snapping his head up to glare at her, he raised her hand and a force of air pushed her back and out of the rift. He closed both the small doors and raised his hands into the air. Behind him, another rift started to open. As it grew wider, Jewel looked up from where to had fallen and could see that beyond the rift was blackness. Nothingness. Fear overtook her and she scooted away from him.

"You want to play with this? We can open some doors Jewel but I don't think you will like where these go!" His voice was like thunder as endless wind escaped from the large hole behind him. everything blew around like a wind storm or tornado was released in the house. Jewel could only cover her eyes and scream for him to stop.

When he did, the rift closed quickly and David could only smile.

"This is my house, and my ruled state that I get the money first. You know I need it for...things." David walked forward and reached out to caress her cheek.

"Don't touch me!" Jewel slapped his hand back but when she did, something strange happened. A kitchen knife that had fallen from the wind storm, flew from its spot and shot at Davids head. He didn't need to move since it missed but it flew by so fast, that he didn't even have time to think.

Turning around, David saw the knife now plunged in to the wall behind him. Jewels eyes were closed still, so she had no clue what had happen.

David only smiled.

"Get ready for your race...You'll enjoy this one. We both will."

--

"Ladies and gents! Tonight we have a special round for you!" A woman dressed in almost nothing walked out in front of the row of bikes. Jewel sat on her bike, hemet in her lap, and watched the woman do the same thing she did every time. For some reason, everyone was nervous. Just like her. By now there would be name calling and bets being placed, but everyone here could since that something was off.

"We normally sick to this country when it comes to rifting but we decided that this time we would treat you to some foreign land! You have five area's to complete! First is New York, second is Paris, Third is somewhere in Russia, forth is Japan and the last round will end somewhere in England. There you will need to find the last portal that will lead you back here. If you miss any portal, you are stuck there until the games are over. Rules are the same as always. Do what you want."

Jewel knew that her talking was about to stop and she placed her helmet on her head and started up her bike. In the back of her mind, she could hear the little girl from before telling her not to do this. She wanted to just back off and call this one quits but she was scared of what David would do to the kids if she didn't. The girl was right, something was not right.

"On your marks...."

Taking a deep breath, Jewel mustered all the courage she had in her.

"Get set...."

She opened her eyes and crouched down, ready to dart off.

"GO!"

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't long into the race, many had already passed through the first and second rift and were headed towards the third. It was on the end of a tall, skinny cliff in the middle of an ocean. Somewhere with biting cold wind, and drops of rain that felt like ice pelting the racers. The rift was a smaller on, only able to allow a few racers before it would be closed.

Something in the sky shimmered, a thin line of almost... liquid glass. Twisting around itself on a thin line, just before the rift. It moved, jumping rapidly until finally vanishing.

"Alert to all race staff - there is an unauthorized life form on the race way." A woman spoke into her radio, notifying the other staff of the race. A number of people made their ways to viewing stations, keeping an eye on the race track but unable to see anything.

A racer had made it to the rift but seconds before her bike could leap forwards it, she let out a yell and swerved her bike to a stop. The rift shimmered and it's edges seem to wobble. Something was inside the rift, a person standing in the center of the rift. Their arms were stretched outwards, fists tightened as if holding onto something. The television cameras zoomed in on the rift, allowing the world of viewers to see everything that was happened. Silence and stillness then, the figure moved. They pulled inwards, moving their arms closer to their body, closing the rift. It flashed as the makers tried to hold it open.

A racer continued on, not concerned over the happenings as their bike leapt forward and made it through the rift. Or... most of him did. With a flash of light, the rift closed in on itself. The rift was gone and from where it had been, something fell. A single human leg, some kind of metal from a bike and a human body. The body was not the racer's; it was a woman, in a loose fitting shirt and tight pants. She fell, and fell, and continued to fall towards the water underneath where the rift had been.

A second before, almost unnoticeable, her hand flexed outwards and a small rift opened just beneath the surface of the water, which she slipped into. A rift opened alongside where Jewel's bike was travelling, a few drops of water splashing her before it closed just as quickly. In another city, somewhere Jewel had been earlier, a rift opened over a dirty city street in a back area of the large bustling city. The woman fell onto the street and rolled a few times, until she came to a stop on her side. With a groan, she opened her eyes and slowly stood up. She walked forward, limping when she stepped with her left leg. She made her way up the steps into a small house; two stories, with a small cramped kitchen and a hallway full of equipment. Rift training, she thought to herself, as she made her way up the stairs. She found her way into a small bedroom, 2 sets of bunkbeds and a single bed, each one with a child asleep. She turned to leave, and saw herself in a mirror. Even in the dark she could see the damage; she was covered in blood, with a large bruise on her cheek and grazes over her face. Her elbow was torn up and she could feel blood slowly dripping down her back from a large gash on her shoulder. She'd need to get out of the house and find somewhere to get clean.

Even after all that, she was still fairly smug with herself. A main rift, maintained by 4 different people, and she'd taken it.

"Alert to all race staff - there is an unauthorized life form on the race way." A voice ringed inside the headset planted in her helmet. Jewel continued forwards toward the end of the cliff, ready to make the jump as the first runner, not really taking care of the what the woman was saying. She was about ready to make the jump but when the girl appeared inside the rifted, Jewel swerved her bike and almost went off the edge.

"What the fuck?" Jewel looked up and watched the scene that was taking place before her. Was this girl crazy? How the hell did she think she could take on the energy of four different....Jewels jaw dropped as she watched the girl close it. She was so captivated by the sheer power the girl was able to handle, she didn't hear the guy in last place come up from behind her and take the jump.

Jewels knew she screamed for him to stop but she also knew that he didn't hear her. When the rift closed, only his leg didn't make it through. The girl fell from the now close rift that shimmered in her eyes and past Jewels.

Fearful that the girl was hurt, Jewel reached out to grab her but missed and felt the water splash on her face as another rift closed. The girl was gone.

Everyone sat on their bikes confused and scared about what had happened. She could hear them asking each other if this was planned and if the other guy was okay. Most of them didn't care about the guy, especially Jewels, since this was something they saw a lot. Rifting was a dangerous sport and could kill you if you were not fast enough. Everyone here had accepted the death bids and continued to play the game, knowing well that they could be cut in half by a closed rift.

"What do we do?" Once guy got off his bike and walked over to Jewel.

"They will most likely redo the race on a different day. The closing of the rift will throw the energy off and they will need time to recover. So what you guys do is up to you." Jewel turned her bike off and got off. "I have something else in mind."

"Jewels, wait! What are you doing!?" Jewel slipped back on her helmet to make sure her head was protect in case of a bad fall and stood by the edge of the cliff. She could still see the thin lining of the girls escape place and she used her energy to reopen it.

"Jewel! DONT!" The guy grabbed for her, but it was to late. Jewel took a step off of the edge and fell through the rift before hitting the water.

Using her balance and years of experience, Jewel landed with a roll and stood up quickly. She looked around as she took her helmet off and realized where she was. It was her home street. Why did the girl go here? Keeping her helmet under her arm, Jewel quickly made her way to her home. As she walked, her phone went off.

"Damn it..." She knew it would be David. She answered anyway.

"What?" She said the moment she answered.

"Where the hell are you!?" David voice yelled through the phone.

"Im at home!" She made her way into her house. Not one thought went to her head over the fact that someone could be in her home with the kids upstairs. "What did you expect me to do, sit there and twiddle my thumbs? We both know they are going to redo the race in a day or two."

"You could of made it through! You were in first place!"

"No, I would've hit the girl and possibly kill us both. And if that didn't kill us, it would of killed the others following behind me!"

"So? That means you would've won."

"Thats not how this works David. I would've been eliminated and I would never do that."

"Why are you even home this fast?"

"I was able to reopen the girls rift...."

"You did what?"

"She landed close to the house...." Jewel heard a board move from one of the upstairs bedrooms. Hanging up the phone without letting David reply, Jewel looked up. She stayed very still and very quiet, trying to decide if she heard something or not. Another sound came from upstair and within an instant, Jewels was running towards the stairs. She prayed that it was one of the kids who was moving around. She prayed it was not the crazy girl from the rift. She made it to the top and stopped, trying to hear where from inside the house the nose came from. If it wasn't the kids, whoever it was would not be able to get past her since the stairs and the kitchen door was the only way out. And if they opened a rift, she could easily reopen and follow.

"Hello?" She called out.

Lavender was in the upstairs bathroom. She had washed her face and hands, and managed to find some bandages her her cuts. She had wet her hair enough to detangle it and was drying it with a towel when she heard Jewel call out from downstairs. Still drying her hair, she walked back out through the kids bedroom. Slowly she walked to the top of the stairs and stood there, looking down at Jewel.

Lavender had a thin, nicely proportioned face. Her eyes were large with a nice almost almond shape, and her long hair sat around her waist. Her hair was varying shades of brown, the ends slightly lighter in colour than the rest of it. She was slim, with very little shape to her body at all. She kept her eyes fixed on Jewel, as she walked down the stairs. On the last step, she dropped through the floor, coming down behind Jewel from the ceiling on the other side. She moved her hair away from one of her ears, showing off the multiple rings in the ear, and tucked it behind. She rested the towel over the back of a chair. "You're one of the racers huh? Hmm, idunno who's training you but, it's not what I'd do." She stopped as she heard loud footsteps come in the front door. Perhaps David had come home.

Lavender sat on the chair she had draped the towel over. She was struggling to breathe too deep, the expansion of her lungs hurting her chest, and one of her eyes was having issues staying open. A cut sat close by under the eye, not quite hitting it. "I hope you at least appreciated my little trick today, the people making that rift likely didn't. Should've tried harder, huh?" She said, somewhat asking Jewel, but mostly talking to herself. "Shame about that fella's leg though. Oh hey, wanna know where the next rift was? Huh, huh? I bet you do." She asked, almost a little sing song in her tone as she hopped up from the chair. Footsteps upstairs, the kids had woken up.

She stopped smiling and stood, facing Jewel. She had pulled out a small, metal rod, no longer than her hand. "Now, I came here to quickly clean up and go, I'm gonna get out of your hair, kay? So don't do shit, or one of the kids ends up underwater or... worse." She said, turning the rod in small circles in her fingers.

Jewels was astonished by the sheer balls the woman had. She walked around and down the stairs like this was her house and Jewel was the one breaking and entering. For a moment, She was scared. Not of the woman but for the children. What is the girl was truly crazy and did something.

"Yes...I'm a racer and don't talk to me like everyone gets a choice in how they get to live."

When the girl sat down, Jewel only watched her. She could feel that she was a powerful rifted but she had met more powerful and there was an angry one of those coming home soon to most likely beat the crap out of Jewel for not finishing the race.

"But its true. You closed the rift...why? What was on the other side?" Jewels honestly didn't want an answer to that question. She was scared just like the other rifters about the race. "This was the first time us going to another country. We had 20 starting out and there was only 6 by the time we made it to you. We lost a lot in different countries and also to closing rifts. "

Jewel heard the front door open and close in kitchen, and then the slow steps of someone moving around. Jewels nerves jumped up and she turned to the girl after her final statement.

"For one, don't you dare threaten me!" Her voice was a whisper shout since she didn't want David hearing her. "Those kids have don't nothing to you and if you hurt on hair on their head, I would send you to a place no rift jumper could escape! Just because you close a portal with four people, doesn't make you the most powerful in the world and honestly...I don't think you have the power or guts to hurt these children." She grab rightly onto the wrist of the girl and look back towards the kitchen and yanked her closer. "And two, you come into the wrong rift house. Because it's not me you need to worry about. Follow me now and don't rift away unless you want us all to get killed here!" She turned and ran back up the stairs, still holding on tightly to the girl, pulling her up and with her into the kids room.

"Please, Don't leave yet." She let go of the girl and shut the door to the room locking it. She could hear David, clearly drunk, calling out for her. He sounded very angry, saying things about how she and the kids were going to pay for loosing the race.

"Okay, everyone up!" Jewel went to each bed and woke the kids one by one. They looked at her confused the moment they woke but when Davids voice echoed through the hallway and stairs, they knew what was going on and jumped up.

"Im sending everyone to our secret space. Justin?" Jewel turned to the older boy. "Check back later to see when he has gone. I snuck food there, so eat to help calm your nerves." The young boy with brown hair and large brown eyes, about 14, nodded and hug Jewel. They knew what was about to happen with David.

Lifting her hand and a large rift that could have the children walk through safely, opened in the center of the room. Everyone grabbed each others hands and walked through. The other side looked to be another apartment. A small place but safe looking.

"Ill be back soon to get you." She said to the kids before closing it. Now, she could hear David stumbling up the stairs.

"We need to go." She grabbed the wrist to the girl and opened another portal over the one that had just closed, that why if David reopened them, it wouldn't take him to the kids but to the random location Jewels was going to. She pulled them both through and closed the rift.

She then turned to the girl.

"Happy now? I don't know if you were trying to show off on TV or something but try and remember that actions can effect others in great ways." Jewel spoke harshly to the girl but kept her eye on the now closed rift, seeing if David would reopen and come through. They landed in the Ally in New York and it was fairly busy out in the streets, so she knew he would never cause a scene if he did some through. After a few seconds when nothing happened, Jewel knew he wasn't coming and turned to glare at the girl.

"So whats your fucking problem in all? You fucking sick in the head?"

"Rather harsh way to treat someone who saved your lives, huh?" Lavender asked, acting rather offended. She looked around where they had come out; grey bricks made the walls, with metal windows and a fire escape somewhere down the wall. Thick clouds had formed overhead and rain began to pelt down on the area.. Lavender found an old tree stump and sat down on it, holding a hand over an apparent wound on her left rib cage. "I was stuck in a hunter's arena; people who hunt down people like us. I just latched onto the first rift I found and came through, just so happened to be yours. You all would've dropped right into that camp. Someone set you all up."

Lavender looked up at the heavy clouds in the sky and smiled, letting out a sigh and a soft groan. "I don't know who would've set you up, it'd have be someone who knows about both sides, and is happy to let people get killed." She stood up and stretched her back, then her arms. She shook herself out, and looked at Jewel with a smile. She nodded, stretched her arms out and said. "For the record, I am the best." She fell backwards, falling through a rift at the last second. The rift shimmered then, showed Jewel an mirror image of herself before disappearing. It took some effort, and Lavender would feel it when she landed, but the portal was no longer a direct link. She'd linked it back to Jewel, turning it into a mirror rift. Unable to be followed, and not able to be created by many people. She hoped it'd allow her some time if Jewel did decide to follow her. Beneath where the portal had been was a small brown envelope, tied with blue string. Inside the envelope was a few hundred dollars cash, and a small glass vial with dried lavender inside it.

Lavender hit the ground with a damp thud and looked around herself. With a groan and biting her teeth together she stood up, and began to make her way across the large empty field she had landed in. The field was overgrown with tall grasses and wildflowers, broken farm equipment littering the area. She made her way past all of the drbis and through the rain that had moved to this area, and found a small, old house she could hide in until the weather passes.

"Hunters again.....Wait!" As try girl fell back, Jewel reached for her to stop her but once again she fell through before Jewel could make it. The rift closed instantly and when she tried to reopen it, it only did a mirror effect. Jewel growled and took a step back. If she used enough energy, she could surly open the rift and follow but she had used a lot of energy during the race and with the run the morning before. She needed time to rest.

Looking down at the envelope, Jewel wanted to leave it but instead she picked it up and gasped at the sight of the money. The first thought was to take her lighter and burn the pity money but she closed her eyes and remember how David took all her money she got earlier. She thought about the kids and there skinny bodies, sitting in the small second apartment waiting for her. So instead of burning the money, she smiled and stuffed it in her pocket. She then took the small vile, opened it and lifted it to her face. She could smell the Lavender and it made her smile.

"Thank you..." She knew she was speaking to nothing but open air but she wanted to say it anyway.

Placing the vile in her pocket, she turned and made a rift. Setting through, she closed it and stood on the cliff she was at earlier. Her bike was gone, along with everyone else. She knew her bike would be back at the headquarters for racing, getting tuned and fixed. But thats not what she was worried about. What worried her was the very light shimmer of the large rift that apparently led to the camp the girl talked about. She would know for sure if the girl was telling the truth.

Lifting her arms, she closed her eyes and placed all her energy into the rift. She could feel the pressure it took to open press against her very being. Electricity cracked through the slip as it slowly opened. Her body started to hurt as she opened her eyes and look through.

Beyond the rift was something that terrified her to the blink. The girl was honest. She saved them all.

Closing it, Jewel dropped to her feet and was sick. Her body convulsed as her fingers dug into damp cold dirt. Someone, another rifter had sold them out. But who? David was the first person who flashed in her mind but she knew David would never sell them out. He made money off raising Rifters.

Once the sickness had stopped, Jewel got back up and made a rift that led to the kids.

Over time she had saved up money to rent out a small second apartment on the other side of the city. There were days when David started to turn into the man he was now, where he would threaten the children and her. She got this place to help the hide out when he got mad. It was smaller then the place she had with David. It was a one floor apartment with only one room. There was a kitchen that connected to the front room, a small bedroom and one bathroom. It was not the greatest place for a bunch of kids and her but was a safe warm place the kids could hid when needed. David couldn't find the place. He was a very powerful rifted but he was never able to see rifts like Jewel can. Not many could.

"Jewel?" A small voice came from the bedroom as Jewel closed the rift. Jewel turned and saw a little blonde head popping out from the door. The girl was 7 and a rift jumper as well. She wasn't very good at it but she got her power at a young age and did better then most. She had a time keep the rifts open long enough to get through, so it was dangerous for her to through them.

"Why you up sweetie?" Jewel walked over and picked the girl up, holding her up with her hip.

"I had a bad dream." The girl wrapped her arms around Jewel and rested her head on her shoulder.

"Bad dream? Well thats not good. What was it about?"

"You."

"Me? What about me?"

"I saw you crying and hurt. The bad people got you."

"What bad people?" Jewel carried her over to the broken down couch and laid back, so the girl rested on her chest. She was small for her age.

"Men in white suits and plastic masks. They had weird gloves that had lightning coming from them. You were in a tent and they were shocking you." Jewel froze by the girls description. The image she painted was the same as the people she saw through the rift. But that was not possible.

"They wouldn't let you go. They took your gift away." The girl voice sounded like she was about to cry.

"Shhhh, it was only a dream. I won't let the bad people get me or you. Okay?" Jewel wrapped her arms around the girl and held her close, rocking her back and forth.

"Promise?"

"Yes." The girl started to fall asleep in her arms, so Jewel relaxed back again and did her best not to think about the camp. Instead she held up the bottle with the Lavender in and twirled it around her in her fingers.

The next morning, Lavender was still at that old house. The rain had dripped through cracks and holes in the walls and roof but, she had stayed dry for the most part. She made her way to the middle of the field, or roughly the middle, and stood with her arms facing towards the ground. She closed her eyes, spread out her fingers and without a sound, pulled her arms up rapidly. The rift formed and lifted, moving over her, swallowing her as it did.She had felt the other rift in the house, let it's energy print into her head and hoped she could follow it. Follow something. She stayed stationary inside the rift field for a split second before dropping onto her feet gently inside a small house. She shook herself off, and made her way into the kitchen.

She felt energy here, lots of it. Some of it young and unstable, some quite strong. She saw that familiar training gear again and groaned. She turned around and looked for anyone, but didn't see anyone in the kitchen. "Dammit, I didn't mean to follow her." She whispered to herself, angrily. Quickly, she walked through the house, in search of the front door. Unfortunately, she went the wrong way down the hall, and found herself in a small room with some children. "Oh, oops." She said, a little annoyed and shocked.

"Hello? Who are you?" A young girl asked; she had curly almost white hair, and grey eyes.

"Oh, I just came into the wrong house, I'll be going." Lavender said back to her, stepping back through the doorway.

"Miss you can't though!"

"Why not?" She asked, preparing for an attack. Her fingers curled around the metal rod.

"You.. you're bleeding miss, must be awfully hurt to be bleeding that much."

Lavender blinked, noticing for the first time the warmth on her chest. A gash on her chest, just beneath her breasts had opened again and begun to bleed through her tshirt. She looked down and took in the large patch of red on her shirt and looked back to the child. "Tell you what, we'll make a deal. If you have something I can use to make this better, I have a little gift you can have."

The girl's eyes lit up, and she sped from the room to come back moments later with a well stocked first aid kit. A race kit, huh.Lavender thought as she sat on a chair and began to clean the gash and re-bandage it. The girl watched with wide, interested eyes as Lavender finished fixing herself up and sat forward in the chair. "Now then, is there anything in particular you'd like?" She asked the girl, who's face became confused. "Pardon miss?"

"You get to pick, pick something for yourself and I'll get it for you."

"Oh... oh maybe a little bracelet? There's one in town with a little Eiffel tower on it, I'd love to see Paris but... I can't rift well enough yet and we don't have the money."

Lavender stood up and smiled at the girl, then at the other children who had come over. She nodded and quickly dropped through the ground, through a skinny little rift in the floor. The rift closed and a few moments later, another appeared in the doorway, through which Lavender stepped out of, gift bag in hand.

Jewel was just stepping out of the shower when she felt weird energy in the house. Familiar but not at that same time. She freaked out at first, thinking it was David but she realized that she would know if it was him. His power was...overwhelming. Slipping into a simple black dress with a split down the side and dark red leggings, Jewel ruffled her short hair and stepped out of the bathroom. The moment she did, she saw the girl from before fake through a small rift and disappear.

"Is there a reason you guys are watching a stranger rift?" Jewel said from the bathroom door. She was leading against the door, arms folded and giving the kids a stern look. Before any of the kids or her could reply, a rift opened and the girl stepped through with a bag.

Jewel only raised an eye brow at her. She was surprised that the girl was here...again but she didn't want to react bad in front of the kids.

"Kids. Everyone in the room and get dressed. I want you clean and ready to eat breakfast." There were a hole bunch of awww mans and fffiiinnneee, as they passed by her to spilt into different part of the small place and get ready for the day. Jewel watched as the youngest grabbed a bag from the girl and run into another room giggling.

"Since your set on stalking me to each of my homes, might as well stay for breakfast. You seem like you could use a shower as well." Jewel walked past her and made her way into the kitchen. Earlier that morning, Jewel had used some of the money to get some food items so she could make the kids a fill breakfast that morning. She knew they were hungry since David took everything last time.

"So, whats your name? I would think since you have gotten to the personal level of popping into peoples houses, I should at least know you name?" She had a joking tone in her voice but it was also riddled with curiosity. Why was this girl here again? How could if be possible for her to accidentally pop in on Jewel twice now. Waiting for an answer, Jewel pulled out eggs, ham and bread. She knew the kids loved scrambled eggs over fried ham and toast, so it would be a nice treat when they came out ready for the day.

As if she belonged in the house, Lavender set about setting the small table in the kitchen, as well as setting a second smaller bag on the table and pulling out a small box of pastries, one for each child. She set the pastries out on a plate and sat it in the center of the table, along with a pitcher of water she'd found in the fridge. She busied herself searching for cutlery, noisily opening and closing draws until she pulled out enough knives and forks for all the kids. She had the table ready for the kids for when they came down.

She grabbed a pan down for Jewel, along with a small toaster that was kept in the back cupboard.

"I've already given you a hint to my name." She said, smiling as she whisked around the kitchen in an energetic whirlwind, opening windows and curtains in the kitchen to help wake the kids up.

Finally she lifted herself up and sat on one of the kitchen benches, nearby where Jewel was preparing breakfast. The morning was dreary, with heavy clouds hanging over the city and light rain covering the buildings and roads. Lavender watched through one of the windows, which faced a main road, and took in all the people rushing past. Business men and women in well fitting suits rushed to their cars or taxis, umbrella or bag overhead to keep them dry. A group of children ran past, jumping in puddles, quickly dirtying their school uniforms. A young woman walked along, no umbrella or bag to keep her dry, with two small children following behind her. Lavender noticed the woman seemed tired and kept her dark eyes on the ground as she walked the children to school. The young boy fell, scraping his knee and beginning to whimper. The woman spun and quickly scooped him up, seemingly losing all of the tiredness that had kept her head down before. The boy smiled, and the three of them continued down the road.

An old woman in sports gear walked down the street at a brisk pace, not letting the rain stop her from getting her exercise in for the day. Lavender looked back to Jewel. "I gave the young girl a small bracelet, plain chain with a small charm of the eiffel tower. Thought perhaps she'd enjoy one from the proper town. A house full of rifters huh? Must be exciting. Who trains them, and you?" She asked, resting her back against the wall, swinging her legs back and forth in front of the bench. "Hiding from someone, are you?" She asked, already knowing what was happening. "You went back to the rift."

She said this, very matter of factly. She could feel the bubble of rift energy around Jewel, and feel where it had gone and been, and how it sat in the air as a thin memory of a rift.It would collapse soon.

"You name is Lavender? Some how fits you." Jewel joked as she cooked. The kids comes in, cheerful like always but very curious about the new woman who had joined them. A few stayed a distance, like the eldest boy who was a jumper and his sister who was also one. Though she only stayed back because she was dancing around his the bracelet around her wrist.

Jewel looked up from her cooking to spot her and smiled.

"She has been wanting that bracelet for as long as I can remember. She saw it once and every year for her birthday she would ask for it." Jewels smile suddenly turned down as she continued to cook. "I was never able to afford it...so thank you. I'm only saying this because it's nice to see her smile like that. Lately she has been....numb about something." Jewel started to plant some of the food as the kids made their way to the table, some fighting over who got to sit next to the new girl if she wanted to sit at the table or who got the head of the table. Jewel also plated some food for Lavender and a small portion for herself.

"I don't want the kids to be like me...to be like David. Only two are rift jumpers but for their age...they are strong but unstable. Sue, the little one you captured the heart of, is very unstable. Her brother, Josiah, is more stable but doesn't have the power like Sue. Sue got hers young and he developed after her." Jewel took a bit of her toast with some egg on it and watched the kids as she talked. The sat there laughing over something, stuffing their faces and annoying each other. There was a total of 6 here. There was once more but...they were gone. "I try and train them them best to my ability but it hard trying to train them and raise them at the same time. I don't want them to have a life like I did. I lost my childhood and lost it even more when David took me in. He showed me how to be strong....He not the same. He's the man who came in last night. He was angry that I lost the race I was scared he would make it out on the kids."

Turning her face to Lavender but keeping her voice low, she waited until she knew none of the kids were watching.

"I did got back to the rift. I needed to see it for myself." Her stomach started to turn from the memory. "You saved our lives...you save my life and these kids lives. If I couldn't make it back to the kids...something might have happened to them. I'm the only thing that keeps David from touching them with his sickness now and to think...' She gulped and looked down. "To think if I had made that jump, they would be suck to his whims." She turned back to the kids and saw Sue watching her with empty eyes. She did that often. Jewel looked away and back to Lavender. "Why were you stuck in that area? Were you captured?"

Lavender down at the table, Sue on one side and another girl on the other. The other had long, stringy brown hair and quite tanned skin. She smiled at the plate of food and took it happily, digging in without much thought. She looked at Jewel intently and swallowed. She lent back in her chair and reached to the girl with the brown hair, and started to braid her hair slowly. "Sickness? What's wrong with him? And I was looking for someone, pure chance you happened to be on the other side of that rift I closed." Her fingers slowly moved through the girls hair, her nails making it easy to braid the thin hair. Lavender was a tidy girl, bloody and dirty but, her physical appearance was quite important to her. Her nails were long and almond shaped, with a coat of a pale orange gel polish over them. She wore multiple rings, and had multiple piercings in each ear. Her dirty clothes looked expensive, though now they hung torn and dirty against her body.

"I could help teach them, if you like. Mirror rifts are quite good to learn and, could help them hide from your... friend, if need be. Also.... we could find a nice french countryside to practice in." She said, looking at Sue from the corner of her eye. Lavender tied the hair with a small elastic on her wrist, and went back to eating her meal. Her newest ring, the cleanest of the tens she was wearing, was a small silver tiara shaped ring, with four purple gems set into the front of it.

She was looking at her food but her mind was on Sue; the girl felt empty. For someone so apparently strong with her rifts, her personal energy felt very off. As if she was distracted constantly, constantly drained or...something was feeding off her energy.

"I shall be in the lounge, please feel free to talk to me about teaching the children, even if it's simple safety nonsense." She gave a nod, placed her empty plate in the sink and made her way to the lounge, where she set about straightening up the room.

Jewel nodded and continued to eat. Sue had stopped and walked over to Jewel and hugged her leg. She giggled and looked up, different from how she was before.

"Can I see the pretty bracelet?" Jewel picked her up and sat her on the counter. Sue smiled and nodded, holding her hand up.

"Make sure you take good care of it and never loose it. Okay? And make sure you thank Lavender for it." Sue smiled and hugged Jewel before jumping off the counter and running over to Lavender and hugger her legs.

"Thank you Ms Lavender!" She then ran off giggling, a few other kids following her, into the bed room.

By the time Jewel had finished her food, the kids were done and they had left the table.

"Get back here and put you plates in the dish washer!" Jewel called out as she cleaned the kitchen. The kids ran in quickly, grabbed their plates and worked together to place them into the dishwasher. Unlike the other house she had, this one had a dishwasher because it was a bit newer and in s different part of town.

Once everything was cleaned, the kids ran out the door to the park that was connected to the apartment building. Jewel had the windows open so she could see out to the park and keep an eye on them. She knew they would be okay but it still didn't keep her from worrying. They grew up on the city streets. Honestly, Jewel worried about them messing with others then someone messing with them. They were a strong group together and loved to prank people. She also did her best to get on them but sometimes it was to funny.

Every kid was out playing, so Jewel walked to where Lavender was and sat down on the old couch. She leaned forward and held her head in her hands.

"When I was a kids, my parents disappeared soon after my power developed. I was homeless and didn't understand anything about what was happening. I tried to find my family but never was able to. Over a few years I trained myself but was never good enough. I ended up loosing my finger to the rift I was messing around with. David and a few others found me and took me in. From there he trained me and raised me. He got me into rift racing when it was first a hidden sport. Soon I started winning and it became everything to David. Over time he was gone more and overtime he got back, he was worse. He was angry, greedy selfish and would hurt the kids and I. I tried running from him once and he found me." Lifting her head and leaning back, Jewel sighed and watched the kids from the window. "I think he was always like this but I was blinded by his power." She turned to look at Lavender. "And this is why I have to ask this, because I have already been blind sided by someone before. How can I trust you?" Jewel was both serious and desperate. She was scared for the kids and for herself. "Please don't take offense. You have to understand where I am coming from and why. Why do you want to help us?"

Lavender slumped onto the couch beside Jewel, lifting her feet up and resting them on the coffee table. She rested her arms beside her, sinking into the couch and looking over at Jewel. "I'm bored. You don't have any reason to trust me, and I don't really feel like helping you, I'm just bored. Bored, not careless though, I'm a risky jumper but I'm not gonna get a child killed, much too big of an inconvenience. Besides, it might be fun for them to see a new part of the world. I'm also interested in Sue." She said, laying back again and closing her eyes.

"How did the kids get their powers? I got mine in order to not die. In a car, happy as a young clam then this truck swerved and fell, slid into us. I heard screaming and screeching of metal. I felt my body get hot, I guess a fire started. I closed my eyes to hide, I can only guess that's what I was doing, and when I opened them I was somewhere else." Lavender stood from the couch and walked over to the window, overlooking the street that busy people filled, carrying on with their day to day errands and activities." Lavender stretched her arms wide, past the borders of the window. The glass seemed to shake and melt away to show a rift, the shape of the rectangular glass. The rift showed a serene field, full of bright flowers and small rabbits lazing about, with sheep in the distance. It was bright and warm,with a single cloud off in the far distance. Then it melted away to show the busy streets of a town somewhere else, somewhere where the trees had turned all shades of orange and browns, and the smell of cinnamon and spices seemed to float on the air.

The rift melted and changed from location to location until Lavender lowered her arms, and the rift closed. Somehow,no one outside had noticed or heard the strange sounds or smells coming from the rift. "I'm heading off, if you want me then you will very well now how to find me, I won't make it hard. If the kids want to learn... and they may since there's a few of them standing outside the room trying to hide, then I imagine it shall be hard for you to stop them from following." Lavender said without turning back to Jewel, Instead she stepped forward, through the window, seemingly into the glass. There was no visible rift but the energy was definitely there. It's energy shone brightly, almost blindingly despite there not seeming to be anything visible. The rift closed and Lavender was home.

Lavender walked through her apartment; a lovely small apartment close to the middle of Paris, with a small balcony outdoors which overlooked the busy streets outside, as well as the lively markets across the road. She flipped the switch on a kettle in the kitchen and while she waited for it to boil, she washed her face and gave her hair a quick brush before tying it in a bun. She dried her face and went back to the kitchen, where she poured her hot water into a cup, and added two teabags. The teabags contained various dried flowers and fruits, and began to seep a deep purple colour into the water. Lavender set herself up on the balcony wit her tea and a small plate of biscuits, where she sat down and let herself relax. She quite enjoyed watching people go about their day, it was an activity she had always enjoyed. She wondered to herself, if any rifters walked by, or if the people walking past had seen something strange that morning and brushed it aside. Human minds were wondrous, though not particularly great at holding onto information at times. She would need to put some washing on soon, it was warm today so it should dry fairly quick. Perhaps she'd go to the markets and fetch something for dinner...

Jewel said answered none of her questions and just sat there watching her in both disbelief and annoyance. She was one of those rift jumps. The people who thought they were better then everyone else because they could do it and even saw them better then most rift jumps. Yes, there were some out there with more power but most the time it was people seeing themselves as something high instead of seeing the dirt on their souls. That was the first impression Jewel got from Lavender. She did save them but she made it very clear that it was not to benefit other people and it was not to help. Only to save her own skin and go through rifts. She knew powerful rift jumpers and they were never good people. But they also were prideful and wanted to prove to everyone they were better then them. Powerful rift jumps know they were powerful, they didn't need to prove it.

This woman was both a benefit and a danger and Jewel didn't know what to do about it.

Jewel knew she herself was the same way. She was always trying to prove she was better. Trying to win every race, trying to expand her power. But to her it was not for fun and to fuck with other people. It was for survival.

Gritting her teeth, Jewel watched her go through the rift. A few kids, including Sue's brother and the eldest of the group, came out and grabbed Jewel's hand.

"Are you okay, Mama?" Jewel did her best to smile and squeeze her hand. "Did that women hurt you?"

"No sweetie. Look at you, such a strong protector." She grabbed him and hugged him close. He typically didn't like hugs but he was fine this time. He was scared just as much as she was. He wasn't oblivious to how dangerous the world was but he was always supportive and helped her with the kids.

"I don't like that woman and I don't want her near my sister." He state clearly.

Jewel moved back and wiped away a few tears that threatened to spill.

"Why?"

"She's like everyone else who's tried to get to us. See's us as objects to use instead of people." The young boy stood back and clenched his fists. "Promise you won't take us to that woman! Promise!"

Even though he was trying to be touch, she only smiled at him.

"We don't know what she wants. She could just be all talk to know bite and that is the only way she can express herself. But don't worry, I never planned on it."

A few other kids came out from the hiding spot and stood by her.

"But we want to go to Paris!" One kids said. She was young as well but just a normal human. If she had any rift powers, they had not shown themselves yet.

"Do you know french?" Jewel asked, joking with them.

"No...."

"The how will you live in Paris?" She poked the little girl in the stomach and watch her giggle. "Now, why don't the rest of you go get everyone. Lets go shopping?"

Everyone was excited and jumped around. This was a rare occurrence. They all ran out the room and apartment to go get the rest of the kids at the park. Josiah stayed behind.

"We have to go back home, don't we?" The boy looked out the window and watch the kids make there way back.

"Sadly we do. Right now I still don't have enough for us to leave fully but we are going to go get something things that will help prepare."

"If David hurts anyone, Ill make him pay...I'll become powerful too!" He stated plainly. That made Jewel's heart shutter with fear. She didn't want the kids to think like that.

"Hey now." She reached over and patted his head, making him turn to her. "Remember, its not about strength and power. It about protecting the ones you love. He once thought it was about power and look what happened. I know one day you will be powerful but just remember how to use that power." The boy nodded and gave her a smile. "Now, lets get everyone ready to go."

--

Through out the day, Jewel took the kids to several different places. The first thing she got with the money was backpacks. With them constantly on the run, she wanted something for them to put there on the run clothes and their favorite toys. Each kid got to pick out their own color and style. They loved it. They then went to thrift shops to get cheep clothes to put into the run away bags. Afterwords, she went someone cheep and got everyone lunch. They enjoyed the fact that for once they got to go out and get real food. It was a fun and light day. But in the back of Jewel's mind, something was wrong. It felt like ahead of her was sunny sky but behind her were only growing dark storm clouds. She was scared to look and turn. She only wanted to concentrate on the kids.

As they walked back to the apartment, a text came in to her phone. She only had the phone in order to stay in contact with the racing people.

The text read. "Good afternoon racer. Next week is the 10 year anniversary of when the races became public. We will be holding the largest race recorded. With over 100 races and 20 location jumps, it will be the biggest event recorded in the world. Enter and place 1st and you will get $10,000.00. Places from 10th to second will get winnings paces on placing. Please register and be apart of the largest racing event in the world."

Jewel stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. Her jaw dropped after she read the text message. $10,000! That was so much and if she could win that, she would be able to take the kids and hid without any chance of David finding them. She was joining for sure!

--

When they made it back to the phone, Jewel allowed the kids to mess around before dinner and she took the time to register for the face. She had to place high in this race. The reason they were never able to run before was because she didn't have the money to move her and the kids all together. But with this money, she could get everyone out with out a trace. She could get a job and find a small place for them.

"Jewel, I'm hungry..." Sue came over and yanked on her black dress.

"Dinner is in the oven sweetie." She picked her up and placed her in her lap at the table.

"Where's the flower lady?" Sure asked.

"Lavender?" Sue nodded to Jewel. "She went home. What do you think of her?"

Jewel knew that Sue could sometimes feel things about people.

She only shrugged.

"Is Lavender one of the bad people?"

Sue shook her head no.

"Do you like her?"

Sue starred off and then shrugged. "She gives me pretty things."

Before Jewel could answer, there was a knock on the door. Jewel jumped up, holding Sue close. Every time some knocked, she was always scared who was on the other side.

"Go hide in the bedroom with the others. Now!" Jewel whispered to Sue and allowed her to run and shush the other kids. Everything was quite and there was another knock.

"Miss Konstantine?" A woman voice called from the other side.

"One moment" Jewel hid any evidence of kids being there and went to the door. She opened it slowly.

"Can I help you?" There was a Blonde woman with her hair in a tight bun. She had a large unnatural smile and a folder in her hand.

"Yes! You can! I'm from Child Protective Services. I was called regarding your children

Jewel's heart started to race.

"Sorry but you got the wrong person. I have no kids." Jewel was about to slam the door in her face but a hand come out from around the corner and stopped it.

"Sorry, but you do. I was hoping we could do this the easy way." The woman pushed the door back open, almost knocking Jewel down.

The woman continued to smile as two officers and David walked in behind her.

"Sorry sweetie but you shouldn't lie to the law." Davids voice was almost the spirit of dark and evil.

"David?" Jewel took a step back as she watched him take out a gun. "How..."

"You think you could hid from me? You really think I didn't know about this place?" David laughed. "I allowed you to have this place. Nothing more."

"These aren't police....they're hunters" Jewel crouched slightly and was ready to fight if needed.

"Correct, and your the hunted!" The woman brought a up a gun and shot. A blue bullet that had a small charge pierced Jewel in the shoulder. A electric charge went through her body and paralyzed everything. She tried to use a rift but only a small one opened and closed.

Josiah watched through the crack in the turned and grabbed his sister. From Jewels spot, she looked to the door and nodded. She knew Josiah would do the right thing. Using all her strength she opened the biggest rift she could in the kids room and led it to the home of Lavender. Once the kids were through, she mirrored the rift and blacked out. They would never find them or be able to follow.

--

When Jewel opened her eyes. She was in the back of a large van with her hands inclosed in weird black balls connected to the back. She tried to use her rift power but every time she tried, electricity would serge through her body. Her mouth was gagged and it only made David, who was sitting in the back with her, laugh.

"You're going to get me a lot of money and no one is ever going to look for you. Now one cares for you."

Jewel screamed at him through her gag but it only made her laugh.

He was right. There was only one person who could get her and she was sure she didn't care enough. Lavender got what she wanted. Sue.

--

As the kids piled through the rift, it closed instantly behind them and they ventured through the house crying out for Lavender.

Lavender had come out of her laundry, carrying as basket of freshly dried linen, when she turned into the lounge room and saw the kids. She stared, taking in the crying and obviously scared children. The eldest boy saw Lavender and pointed at her. "There you are! We found her! She can help!" He yelled, the other kids seeing her and yelling as well. Lavender put her basket of laundry on the floor near her couch and walked over to the kids. They had trodden dirt into her lovely clean floor, and had knocked over a small table as they fell through the rift she was able to sense. This wasn't quite what she expected. She wasn't a babysitter. Then at once, they all started talking about what had happened. Lavender put a hand up and waited for the kids to become quiet, then pointed at a long couch nearby. The kids sat down quietly, waiting and watching Lavender as she set about making a large pitcher of iced tea for the kids, and a plate of biscuits which she set down on the table in front of them. The kids set in on the food, not saying anything until Sue spoke.

"She doesn't like you very much." She said, speaking about Jewel.

"She doesn't trust you." Said another child.

"I don't think we trust you. Any of us. Mum doesn't like speed jumpers, you're dangerous." The eldest boy said, glancing at Sue who was looking straight down

"I offered to train you, not to home and feed you. There is no space here, and I am not a fun person to live with." Lavender spoke. Sue went to open her mouth but Lavender continued on, walking to one of the archways that lead to the numerous other rooms in the apartment. "I did tell her however that I would cause a child to get harmed or killed. You are all going to stay here, and rest and stay hidden. You do not leave this house. If you see a small black cat, his name is Felix, be very gentle with him." Lavender finished speaking, and turned. She made her way out of the apartment and down some steps. She made her way across town, it had gotten late and the streets were close to empty, until she came to a small park. The park was only small but was full of bright green trees and flowers, with a pond in the middle.

Lavender slowly made her way into the middle of the pond and stood with her eyes closed, until she sank. She sank down into the water, swallowed up by a rift. However she didn't fade to somewhere else, she remained somewhat suspended in a blur of water and air that slowly moved her body in a circle. Eyes still closed and arms outstretched, she began spreading. Her rift spread, little tendrils of energy snaking out in search of other rifts. They snatch onto an old one of Jewel's, then another, until latching onto the one the kids had gone through. The arms snaked more, following the thin lines of energy that seeped from rifters, following Jewel.

Her eyes flicked open and she leapt forward, passing through a rift and landing on the top of the van.

Jewel sat very still during the drive. She was smart enough to realize that if she continued to use her energy, it would either kill her or make it harder for her to fight back when she got chance. The whole ride, David talk non stop how brilliant he was and but he wish he had waited till the new race coming up.

"To think, I could of had 10,000 if I got them to wait a few more weeks. Kind of glad you didn't go through that rift into the camp though."

Jewel, not being able to sat anything, sat there and just stared a head at the back door to the Van.

"Ah, not chatty today." Davi reached forward and pulled the gag from her mouth. "What do you have to say sweet heart?"

"I'm going to get out of these and one day I will rip you apart, limb by limb. And the best part is, I'll make sure you live through every second of it." Jewel smiled at him. Her comment made him stop for a second and get mad.

"Good luck with that. Where your going..." There was a thump on the top of the Van.

The other blonde woman who was sitting at the far end close to the doors look up.

"What was that?" David asked her.

"May have been a tree limb that hit the top." The woman paid not attention to it and went back to messing around with her phone.

Jewel knew it wasn't a limb and so did David. He looked down and grabbed a handful of Jewels hair.

"Who followed us?" He growled.

"I don't know what your talking about. Like you said, no one would ever come for me." She smiled at him.

"You bitch..." He took one good punch at her face, busting her lip. She only started to laugh at him. She could feel her. Feel Lavender above them.

The new hope gave Jewel new straight and she started to poor all her energy she saved up into her hands. The black balls that contained her hands spark and shoot out small little bits of electricity. David took a step back as a few loose things in the van started to shake. He knew what was about to happen.

"Fuck this..." A rift opened by the back door and David jump through and closed it. The woman was shocked that he had left her and she tried to stand but was to scared to.

"Stop it! You shouldn't be able to do that!" She yelled at Jewel clearly frightened.

"What?" Anything loose in the van started to float in the air, as if the gravity was gone. Jewels hair swam around her and a pulse started to come from her. The woman screamed for the Van to stop but the people up front couldn't hear her.

Closing her eyes, jewel focused all her energy. When her eyes opened, the energy busted out of her and fit the woman and everything in the van like a wave of force. A pole that was floating close by, shot into the woman stomach and then the woman herself was forced against the door and knocking it opened. She flew out and landed on the street, rolling and clearly dead. Jewel was now alone in the back. The back was open for Lavender.

"I'm in here!" Jewel screamed out. She needed out of these cuffs so she could rift.

David rifted, but not where he imagined. He rift right to the front of the van, where Lavender promptly grabbed him by the neck. Lavender was strong, she always had been. Her hair was a blur around her head as the van continued on it's journey. She held David tight in her hand, dangling him over the side of the speeding van.

"I didn't think we'd get to speak to each other again, dearest David. It has been some time hasn't it?" Lavender asked, her voice mocking.

"Oh - well, yes. What are you doing to do, drop me? How did my rift...'

"I changed it."

"You can't do that!"

"Well I did, as you can see. Before I go help my newest friend, tell me, what do you know about riftless areas?"

"They don't exist. I'm too strong you silly girl. Who would want you as a friend anyway?"

"I'll show you then. Oh and, no one does. I'm just bored." She said as she threw David away from the van, through a portal. He dropped from high in the air, into a large expanse of ocean. The water was deep and spread for what seemed like forever. Something moved in the water; thin, grey snakes. Eels. Electric eels swam through the water, brushing against David.

RIFTERS LIFE AND SURVIVAL MANUAL

Rifts work in many places under many circumstance but one that never fails to mess something up, is electricity. Electricity in a well conducting location will put a stop to most rifters, even those who are well versed in the arts. The best thing to do in these situations is relax, and try not to think about how unlikely it is you will get yourself out of the situation.

Rift energy doesn't exist in this ocean, the eels faint electrical currents may not be enough in singular but an ocean thick with them, was plenty to put a stop to anything that tried to use any kind of rifting energy. David floated, keeping himself above water for however long he was able. Lavender spun around, opening a rift in front of the van, which it flew through, landing in a large, wet field. The field had become swamped after heavy rain, and the ground became a sticky mess which trapped the vans wheels. Lavender climbed into the back of the van and seeing Jewel, pulled out her small metal rod. With a flick, the rod extended and a faint buzzing sound filled the air. She raised it and with force, brought down onto the cuffs. The rod sent bolts of electricity into the cuffs, overloading them until, the broke apart. A few shards of debris flew out from the cuffs, cutting Lavender's arm as she stood there, looking at Jewel.

Jewel head the yells from David disappear and her body started to relax. All her energy was finally gone and her body was taking the toll from it. When Lavender released her from the cuffs, her body dropped to the ground like a rag doll. She had meant to use the energy to break out of the cuffs but something else happened. She had no idea why everything got thrown around and away from her. All she wanted to to break or surge the cuffs and rift out. If it wasn't for Lavender, she could still be locked up. Lifting herself onto her hands and knees, Jewel looked up and weakly smiled.

"I would say thank you but lately thank you may not be enough after all the times you have saved my ass." Jewel pulled herself to the edge of the van and swung her feet over, so that she was laying back with her feet dangling off the edge. She could see outside through the blow open doors and knew she was in a field. She wondered if it was the same from before. In the distance, she could here the two men driving the truck running away. The moment the truck stopped in the field, they were out of the doors. Jewel lifted up her hand and two rifts opened under their feet, dropping them somewhere different. Jewel made sure it was a desert of some sorts. When her rifts open and closed, the bullet she was shot with before sent a electric current through her body made her rift shut easy. One of the guys went without his head.

"I can't open any thing with out more energy and without this damned bullet out. Are the kids safe?"

Jewel laid there clutching her chest were the blood seeped out from the bullet wound. Everything hurt and all she wanted to do was sleep but she knew if she did, that would be it for her. The kids would be lost without her.

--

David did his best to stay come but every time an ell grazed him, he cried out.

"Damn that Bitch! How the hell..." He lifted his arm out of the water and click a small button on his new watch. It started to flash red and he waited.

It was almost an hour of him trying to stay alive from the shocks before he could see the small helicopter coming his way. He waved his hand in the air so that the flashing red would alert them where he was. It took them awhile but they were able to get a lift down. They helped him in and finally he was out of the painful water. Most of his energy was wasted by the ells and trying to stay afloat but he still had some stored. For now he wouldn't use it, in case of him needing to go on the run.

"Are you alright?" A sultry voice came from the shadows of one of the seats. David looked up and relaxed. Good, she came.

"Lavender sent me out here. With fucking eels."

The woman giggled. Her body and features were silhouetted out by the moon but you could tell she had a slender and tall figure. Her hair was pulled up. There was only one feature that could be seen in the darkness. Her white eyes shown glowed in the darkness. It send shivers down David spine.

"Lets get to base. I know you have much to tell me."

"Yes...yes I do." David replied.

Lavender smiled, and raised her left leg. She nodded to Jewel as she stomped down, a rift opening beneath them and dropping them into the middle of Lavender's living room. There was a pattering of dirty feet as the children raced in from the kitchen they had apparently raided in Lavender's absence. The children hugged Jewel, some bubbling over with tears. Lavender shushed the children and ushered them into the lounge once again. The children sat in silence; it always felt strange to speak in Lavender's house when she was home. Lavender gently lifted Jewel from the ground, and helped her to the kitchen, where she lifted her onto the lovely, white marble topped island that sit in the middle of her kitchen. Lavender fetched something from her kitchen draws, making hardly a sounds as she came back and stood beside Jewel. Lavender gently pulled aside Jewel's sleeve, tearing it a little in the process, and pressed her fingers firmly against the skin. "I'm hoping you're too weak to fight against this. it is necessary." Lavender said, seconds before pressing a thin, sharp blade against Jewel shoulder, and allowing it to gently slice into the skin. It was quick, though Lavender imagined it felt like an eternity to Jewel, but she was eventually able to pull the small bullet out of Jewel shoulder. She extracted a few more pieces of small shrapnel from the cuffs, then set about cleaning the wound and dressing it. She slowly, gently, moved Jewel to the large bed in the only bedroom in the apartment.

The bed was dressed with white, soft looking sheets and numerous pillows; white, pale blue and cream pillows of all shapes and sizes sat neatly against the headboard. Lavender walked out to the balcony, without a word, and sat in the cold metal chair that sit in the corner of the balcony. She looked out over the streets of the city she lived in. After a moment she reached for the small metal container on the table nearby, and pulled out a cigarette and box of matches. With a single flick, she had the match lit, then the cigarette. With a deep breath, she breathed in a warming lungful of the smoke and enjoyed the peace at last. Hands bloody, clothes dirty and torn and very much needing a bath and candles, but alive.

--

David was saved, and free from the sharp stings and shocks the eels had been enjoying giving him. The eels, despite David's now absence, were in a flurry. The water grew deeper, and deeper until the lovely serene blue-greens had faded into darkness, the eels swam down to the deep bottom of the water. They buzzed, either excitedly or nervously, and swam in great, frantic circles around one another. They had formed a sort of funnel, narrowing in as it got closer to the bottom. In that dark, cold, isolated part of the ocean, something stirred. The dark water was lit up with the furious sparks of the eels, as they swam faster in their circles. Something was happening, something the eels were unsure of, something in their ocean did not belong. No but... it did, it couldn't belong anywhere else. The eels sparks died down and the water was plunged back into its quiet darkness. Movement inside the funnel, in the sand at the base. The eels slowed, curious about the newest member of their ocean family. One eel, still angry and unsure swam down in a panicked rage, went to attack what was in their safe, quiet ocean. Silence and darkness was everywhere and everything in the bottom of that ocean; the other eels were unable to see the fellow eel who had disappeared down into the bottom of the funnel.

Silence and darkness, were both shattered, the eel had made contact; contact with skin, the skin of something very foreign to their oceans. A human pulled their way out of the sand in that ocean, free from their imprisonment in in the sand. They shot up through the water, stopping halfway up the funnel, where the largest number of eels swam. The eels became frantic again, this new thing felt strange and human, though it felt like an eel! A newest friend, oh the joys! In their excitement, some eels angry and confused, the mass of shimmery, snake like creatures buzzed, and buzzed away in the water. The human floated as if weak or unconscious, floating still now. In an instant the body stretched; arms and legs swinging backwards in a long stretch. The body wriggled, spinning in the water, excited to be free. The arms stretched out, towards the lovely, shiny eels that were almost close enough to touch, then, brightness. The hands buzzed like the eels, only stronger and brighter. The eels scattered, spooked by this new light. The swam a distance away, watching their new friend. The water shimmered, no longer lit up bright like a city at night but rather, skinny little bolts of electricity lit up the water until, the water seemed to stop. A rift opened up above the body and quick as anything; the body shot up through the rift, closing behind them. The ocean was dark and quiet again, the eels returned to their usual daily going-ons. Certainly a strange occurrence but, nothing for an eel to fret over.

Since the accident, Jewel phased in and out of consciousness. She noted here and there that ever time she opened her eyes, Lavender was there with her and helping. At one point she even heard the cry of the kids when they hugged her. She was conscious for that but didn't really remember it. Her body hurt all over and the bullet wound still felt like it had a bullet in it even though she knew it was gone. Her body was on the edge of going into shock but she continued to keep herself calm and think of the kids.

When Jewel finally opened her eyes, it very early in the morning and she was in a strange bed. A few kids scatted the bed with her, clutching onto her as if she were going to disappear and them holding her was the only way to stop it. Sue was cuddled up by jewel's side. Her little hands were clutching onto her shirt and pulling it close. Her bother was behind her, sprawled out and snoring. Jewel smiled and moved some of his hair, covering his face. He needed a hair cut.

Scooting out of the bed and pulling the covers onto the kids, Jewel tip toed out of the room. Before she made it to the door, Sue was already up and by her side. Her little fist clenched her shirt.

"Mama....theres something coming." She whispered. The words sent chills down her spine. The girls face was blanks, almost dead like.

"Sue? Did you have another bad dream."

"Something is coming." Her whisper was toneless.

Jewel lowered down and picked Sue up, carrying her back to the bed. It was strange. The time the made it in the few steps, Sue was passed out in he arms. Would this be like all the other times? She would wake in the morning and have no idea what happened the night before?

Jewel laid her down and kissed her forehead. There was something different growing in Sue...the same difference that was growing in Jewel. She didn't like it.

--

Leaving the room and going towards the front of the house, Jewel sat down in the darkness in a small chair. She really didn't know where she was but she knew it as Lavenders place. Her energy was all over it. Everything radiated with it...it also smelt of Lavenders and sweetness. She chuckled and tried to consider the name with the girl. She didn't seem like a sweet flower. Of course Jewel knew her name didn't match her as well. She was more like a banged up rock then a Jewel.

Leading back, she pulled out the small bottle with the lavender flower in it and looked at it through the moon light shining into the room.

What had happened in van? Did she imagine it?

Listing her hand, she held the small vile and concentrated her energy on it. She had to be careful not to release to much or randomly open a rift.

When her eyes opened, she noticed that the vile was now levitating over her hand, spinning in place. Her eyes widened as she watched. Was she doing this? The bottle moved higher and watched in amazement and fear.

A noise from inside the house cause her to loose concentration and the bottle dropped. She grabbed it from falling quickly and pocketed the vile, not wanting to be caught.

--

The front door slammed shut behind Lavender, as she made her way inside with her arms full of burlap bags of groceries. Bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, tasty biscuits and pastries and a whole assortment of other foods and drinks fill the bags. Lavender placed them on the floor in her kitchen and set about cleaning up. She wiped down benches with a strong bleach, which she then wiped away with a lovely fresh smelling cloth. The kitchen slowly began to resemble the lovely clean, warm place it usually was, instead of the bloody mess it was now.

After some time, Lavender came out of the kitchen. It was now clean, warm and full of lovely smells from the batch of muffins cooking in the oven. Dishes had been put away, and her windowsill pot plants had been watered. She set the children down to watch a movie as she straightened up her bathroom, and the living room, then went into the bedroom. Sue was asleep in Lavender's large bed; she'd fallen asleep whilst writing in her journal. Lavender picked up the book and while packing up a few other things, had a quick glance at the page. The page was a sketched illustration, black and white, of a woman underwater, surrounded by lots of little squiggles and sharp lines. Lavender found herself out on the balcony, where she sat in a chair beside Jewel.

"Floating, twirling and gliding,

In a world deep underneath,

Dark and cold, though a brilliant place,

Caused by the strangeness beneath,

Electric snakes and strange noises,

Something clamors out of the darkness,

This site can not be true, it not can exist,

A being that should not be."

She read aloud, her finger following the words on the pages. Lavender felt the words were oddly familiar, though not quite right. They were similar to a book she had read when she was young and learning to use her rifts. She placed the book down and looked out over the city, it had gotten late. The children had eaten, and Jewel was awake. Lavender didn't face away from the city, she simply spoke without looking at Jewel. "I am growing worrisome about Sue. Something isn't right." She spoke.

Perhaps little Sue was right; as Lavender and Jewel sat in the cool night air of the city, a group of hunters had found themselves in a rather unexpected situation.

--

The men and women rushed, finding and using fallen logs or crumbled walls to hide behind. A small rift had opened up the middle of a fairly dense area of forest. The land used to be farmlands, and old machinery and houses sat destroyed and forgotten among the undergrowth and the dense trees. The rift sat above the ground, a few meters from the damp ground. "This will be a doosy! Take this one back, we'll be paid a full year's worth of rewards!' One of them shouted, excited at their sure victory against this rifter. The rift was so small that the rifter must be new, an easy target! The rift swelled however and rather than staying it's tiny self, became a much larger rift. The air seemed to buzz and, the hunters could swear they felt tiny shocks on their skin.

Jewel sat still as Lavender sat next to her. Her legs were pulled up to her chest, arms wrapped around them and head resting on her knees. Her eyes were closed but she was very much awake. Her body was still very sore and hurting. The best thing to do was to lay back down with Sue and her brother, allow her body to rest a bit more but felt to nervous...and she badly wanted a cigarette.

"Sue has always been a strange girl. Never the best rifter at times but she always had something off about her. She could tell things and know things. Its always a 50/50 that she right...but I can agree with you right now. Something is wrong with her and I'm worried about her." Jewel kept her eyes close and head rested as she talked. Her shoulder ached but she did her best not to show it. It really wasn't the first time being shot. Just the first being electrified by the bullet. During races, guns were frowned upon but it was still common. She had several scraps on her body that were from knifes and gun shots. She was always lucky enough not to get hit in a vital area but rest time was always a killer. Especially when she had those kids to look after.

"Those kids have taken to you." Jewel opened her eyes and turned her head to look at Lavender. "They can see you have a kind heart even though you don't act like it."

Stretching out her legs and looking away, Jewel waited till all the kids were out of ear shot before she continued. "I have a favor to ask you...well another. I know I'm in no position to ask but theres a large race coming up. Its going to have the largest victory pot recorded and it's going to be a world wide event. If I enter and win, I will be able to leave here and take the kids. Get a house and actually take care of them without anymore races or stealing. Would it be okay if they stayed here that night? I don't think the government is going to try that stunt again. Not with this large of a race and not with so many people watching. They will stay low and wait for the right moment again."

Jewel hated asking for more help but she needed to do this for the kids. She didn't truly understand Lavender and ever rifter she had ever met, had always crossed her. She wanted to protect the kids and this was one way she could do it. If she won, she would get that money.

--

Following the guard, David used the towel they gave him to dry himself as much as possible. In front of the three guards was a the woman from before. She had blonde hair in a tight french twist with a pin of a butterfly through it. Her outfit was a white lab coat but he knew that the suit she wore under was white as well. Everything here was white. Made David nervous.

"Hows the kid?" David ask as he followed.

"Annoying like normal. We found him out of his cuffs.

"He got out again? I thought you had him under control?"

"He's getting restless and more powerful. We are developed something new that will hold him for now."

David said nothing but he trusted the woman and the team that worked here. He gave them every bit of information they needed about rifters and how to use there technology against them. With this, he was allowed freedom and a money to do what he please with. It was a good arrangement for now but he knew soon that he would have to book it and hide.

As they came to a lonely hallway, David slowed down and waited for the woman to go to the large door with a small window at the end.

"Damn it! He did it again!" The woman snapped as she grabbed grabbed her phone. "Get the moving guards in here. He's out again!"

David ran up behind her and pushed the normal guards out of the way. Behind the small window, David saw a young man in white closes laying back on his bed with he legs in the air, resting against the wall and feet crossed. He was a playing with a deck of cards and smiling. His hair was blackish blue like Jewel's and he had the same eyes as her. The wall cuffs that had originally had him strapped against the wall and keeping his hands balled up, were broken and spitting sparks from being broken.

"How the hell did he get those cards?" David asked. The kid scared him, always had. Thats why when he joined the team, he was allowed to raise and train jewel while studding her, while the government got her twin brother.

The lights in the lab flickered, for a second, and then constantly. Off and on again rapidly, out of time with one another. The door they were close to made a click as the electronic locks failed, and the door clicked open. The unlocking was loud, the loud click echoing down the hall. Guards looked at the door nervously, waiting for the boy to do anything but, he seemed to be busy with his cards. Alarms. Loud, angry sirens sounded far off in the building, the noise getting louder and louder as closer alarms sounded. At last the lights died, and the hallway was plunged into semi-darkness, illuminated by the moon from outside the large windows. The shadows of large trees outside covered the walls in sporadic patterns, which swayed gently in the breeze outside. Something darted in the other shadows, something that didn't quite fit in. A silhouette of a person sat amongst the other shadows, still between the trees.

It was a strange sight, when the shadow seemed to grow outwards and become a three dimensional shape, as a person pulled themselves out of the wall. A gloriously ghost of a person stood before them in that semi-darkened hallway, as the guards faced the newest presence. One turned to David, and asked, "Sir, what do you advise we do? The sensors do not detect a rift.". The guard; a young male, dark skinned with lovely green eyes, turned back to the figure in front of them. The single flicker of a light above the figure showed them to be female, with a narrow face and quite dark eyes. Long, almost white hair, hung down her shoulders in straight locks, her fringe cut straight across her face, just above her eyes.

She lifted her hands up, turning her palms to the ceiling and seemed to be looking at them closely, as if lost in thought. She flexed her fingers, and and her wrists s that they cracked, seeming shocked at the sudden sound from her joint. She lifted her head, almost like a scolded child, and looked at the group in front of her. The hallway was only semi lit by the moon, but her movements could just be seen in the partial light as she stepped closer, ever so slowly. 'Won't you tell me where I am? Oh, does he want to come out?' She asked, as she saw through the window in the door, that the young black-blue haired boy had come up the window to see what was happening.

A very faint smile tugged at her mouth, before disappearing seconds later, not something easily noticeable in the darkness.

--

Lavender stood up from her seat and rested her hands on the railings of the balcony, leaning forward into it. Lavender herself was still a mess, though her home was now lovely and clean, and smelt of freshly baked cookies that sat cooling on the bench. She had been thinking about it for some time, and felt she should discuss it with Jewel, at last.

"I think she may have a... particular rifting ability. Imagine creating a window rift, you can look through and see and hear what's happening but you can't interact, or go through. Some people are able to... go around this, and make their way into past and future events, and bring things back. People, objects, animals... weapons. Any number of things." She paused, for a breath, the continued. "Now imagine, if David had the same thoughts about sue."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back