Story PROJECT: The Golden Shields

Raziel

Keeper of Secrets
Greetings! Just a little something of mine I found and thought I'd share. Might continue this if its well-received. Let me know your thoughts, and thank you for reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 - The First of a Generation
Luxorei Classified Research Facility
City: Matupen | Planet: Geb
January 21st, 2231 A.C.

Aeva stepped upon the platform, her body only clad in a nano-tech biosuit. She slipped her feet comfortably into what appeared to be large, heavily plated footwear. Once her feet settled into the plate, the space began to be filled by a comfortable substance that, through microtechnology, would unify the movement of the operator and the machine. As the space was filled, uniform elements were raised by other machines and attached to Aeva’s body, starting around her calves and shins, up around her thighs and hamstring, encasing her torso, and her arms - the sealing material following quickly behind, making the mechanical battlesuit a snug and comfortable fit. The dozen or so arms of machines that were securing the suit in place had quickly retreated when the job was done, back into the platform upon which Aeva stood. As the arms retreated, however, a console rose from in front of Aeva. Upon the console was the last uniform piece of the suit - the helm.

The hand of the battlesuit rose up as Aeva’s hand moved against the material within the armor. She inspected the mechanical gauntlet, which moved and felt like her own hand. She picked up the helm in her mechanical palms, and the material within the suit transmitted the feeling of grabbing the helm to her body as though she was touching it with simple gloves. She couldn’t feel the details of the helmet, but she felt the sensation of holding it within her palms. Turning it and raising it over her head, she lowered it slowly. As she pressed it against the collar of her suit, the suit used a sealant to secure the helm in place. Once installed, she could feel something push softly against the back of her head where the neural implants were accessible by the suit, linking her mind to the computer. Her eyes had been closed as the process occurred, and as they opened, she saw a stimulating HUD displayed on her visor.

Her HUD displayed the suit’s level of power, which was at maximum charge. It also told her things that she knew: no primary, secondary, or extra armaments were equipped and no specialized equipment was installed. As the whole suit was now online, she heard a voice within her helmet. “Battlesuit initiated. Model designation - CENTURION - online.” Aeva thought the voice to be easy to listen to. Within her HUD, a display arose that showed the full suit of armor and details that identified her height in the suit - 2,000 millimeters - as well as her weight - 540 pounds. Slowly, Aeva took her first step with the suit, placing her boot soundly onto the platform that held up the assembly. It felt incredibly natural, as though she was wearing the perfect shoe. As the rest of her body followed, she hardly felt as though she carried armor around her body. The suit moved so naturally with her motions, it was truly hard to believe, even as the operator. The armored soldier stepped off of the platform and towards her superiors. Colonel Rathford grinned with a satisfied look.

“The first of the first. How does it feel, commander?” Rathford asked.

Aeva’s eyes glanced about her HUD. “Comfortable. This nano-suit has to be mitigating the bulkiness that I should be feeling, correct?”

Mr. Taji, one of the best mechanical engineers at the Aaru Company and designer of the suit, nodded. “A credit to the nanotech team at Aaru, to be certain.”

The armor was copper in color with silver accents and lining, while the visor of the helm wore a pure gold color with dark angular lining to detail it. The armor itself was jagged in form around the shoulders and knees, but more rounded on all other accounts. The helmet seemed to combine the two styles nicely. Aeva had taken a moment to study herself, and as she came back to the conversation before her, someone had just walked into the room.

Taji waved the newcomer towards them. “Colonel, commander, I had my peers design a special virtual intelligence program that we can install within the suit.” The engineer accepted the extended tablet that the person who had entered was carrying. “I know this type of software is not strange to you, commander, but this is one of the latest. Take as much advantage of it as you can.” As Taji spoke, his fingers had keyed in a command on the tablet, causing a chip to eject from the top of it. He grabbed it, releasing it from tablet’s hold, and handed it to Aeva. Once again, the way the suit transmitted the feeling of grabbing such a fragile thing was uncanny.

“How does this couple with the onboard computer?” Aeva asked, thinking of the voice that greeted her when the suit was connected to her implants.

Taji smiled and shook his head. “The computer in your suit will perform as a backup alert system, in the event of the V.I. being lost for whatever reason. With that chip, however, that will most likely never come to pass.”

“The V.I. is named Spark, and she has access to all of the TGR’s databases, and has the second-highest clearance in the entire republic,” Rathford noted.

“Will the rest of my team have access to Spark?” Aeva inquired, keeping her fist clenched gently over the chip.

Rathford’s face distorted as though he was searching for a word. “The V.I. will be able to communicate with your team via your internal communications. The radio frequency between your helmets are extraordinarily different than most other radios, when talking about calibration and coding, meaning what is said between you, the V.I. and your team cannot be intercepted. So, yes, they will have access to the V.I. through communicating to your helmet, and thus, Spark,” the colonel explained.

Aeva listened carefully before nodding in affirmation. “10-4. What are the logistics for the rest of the platoon? Are their suits ready?” she asked, turning her gaze towards Taji.

The engineer smiled and clapped his hands together. “Their suits are ready! I believe the training grounds have been prepared for you if you’d like to make your way there while we establish your next comrade.”

“You are talking about Saladar, yes?”

“Indeed! He will be equipped with the Jaguar model battlesuit. I’m very excited to see it in action,” Taji said, that last bit he was clearly talking more to himself.

“I will take my leave with your permission, sir. I imagine I will be notified when the time comes for our first assembly?” Aeva asked, turning back to Colonel Rathford.

“Permission granted. I’ll give you a call,” he replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back