Experiences problems with rps?

pasta

gogo dancer
well... i'm sure we've all encountered problems, whether it's with other people or with ourselves. this thread is just for discussing problems you've had happen to you.

the current problem i'm having is not wanting to join rps because i'm intimidated by others. i'm afraid of being talked about by other rpers bc maybe they don't like my character. i don't like to disappoint.

For me, it's people who up and disappear. I can talk to them about, literally, anything else I might have an issue with except that since they disappear on me.

For you, though, try messaging people privately to talk to them about things beforehand. I never do an RP without thoroughly talking to the person I'm interested in role playing with.

My problem is with me. I keep losing confidence when I RP. Like I do chatroom stuff with these two buddies of mine who have known each other for a while and been RPing longer than I have and they're really good at it and sometimes I panic and just wonder why I'm even there.

They have really developed characters that have great scenes and I feel like ruin everything by being there. They've told me otherwise but that kind of self-consciousness is really hard to get over. So I end up not participate much.

I'm also one of those people who worries when their character isn't liked. In the chat RP I do now hardly any of my characters are liked by other characters and it bothers me, which is totally wrong on my part, but there ends up being no variety when I play. My character is either just there and not doing much or they're just being berated.

i don't think i'm good at roleplaying...most of the time i do 1-2 lines and i hardly do paragraphs. my characters are shy so they don't say much. i feel like if i had outgoing characters then maybe i would be able to type more, but i just feel more comfortable rping as shy characters because i'm shy and socially awkward too...i also feel like people don't like my characters because of their shyness. i don't like group rp's. every time i post something i feel like i don't belong, like i don't deserve to be in the group. i feel like everyone hates me and judges me...i hate it when i'm roleplaying with someone and then they leave without telling me... *gets ignored*

I think the best thing to do if your unsure or easily intimidated is to start with 1x1s

You are working directly with one other person and are not likely to feel as much pressure to work with a group. Especially since a lot of partners will adjust their own writing to match yours if you ask.

And if you feel like you are not measuring up in some way - it's easier to talk to one person specifically and get pointers than it is to flounder around with a group.

A lot of my own early learning was done in a group but it was because one specific player took me under their wing and helped me flesh out my characters or answered questions I might have.

Also if you are feeling unsure of something you can always ask for tips on improving. ( don't ask - do you think xxx is bad || ask hey can you think of how i can make xx better? )

The second one will help you make actual improvement and it is likely to get a more helpful response than the first. As pretty much only assholes are going to agree that your writing or characters are crap. Even if they aren't the best most people are going to be encouraging and tell you your doing fine. So if your looking for more constructive criticism I would recommend asking for like specific tips.

Hey my character is shy how do I get them to interact with other characters?

Also I would always remember that characters and players are different. Very often if a character is acting negatively towards your character it is not the player trying to say your character is bad or awful. It is just how that particular character would interact with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back