Literature Post book depression anyone?

Average

One and only Iron Lung
<p>

Ok so I just read the series "Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children" by Ransom Riggs, and man it was great. So great, however, that im left feeling kinda crap knowing that the series has ended(atm, but im pretty sure its end is indefinite). This leads me to ask my fellow book worms if you have ever felt this way about an end of a good series? And if so how did you guys deal with it?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who grew up reading Harry Potter, waiting for releases rather than burning through them all in one go, I can safely say that everything felt off for a solid month after I finished the last book. Nobody wanted the magic to end, and the series was ingratiated into my very identity because I inundated myself with it throughout my most formative years. How does one tell the residual 8-year-old in them that it's The End?

I don't really read book series, but for really good singular books or short stories, i've felt that way. Why can't it go on forever ='(

Anomaly said:
As someone who grew up reading Harry Potter, waiting for releases rather than burning through them all in one go, I can safely say that everything felt off for a solid month after I finished the last book. Nobody wanted the magic to end, and the series was ingratiated into my very identity because I inundated myself with it throughout my most formative years. How does one tell the residual 8-year-old in them that it's The End?
Much the same as Anomaly the Potter universe ending hit me very, very hard. Don't get me wrong the movies were decent enough but I will never have so much invested as I did in the books. They were my solace and my world for so long that the last page of the last book felt almost like a shot to the heart. Still to this day any time I see a rumor of another possible Potter book...I'm instantly on Amazon trying to search it out.

It's weird to me that we can feel so lonely when our favorite characters are basically over.

I heard they were writing an 8th book that takes place 17 years after, which apprently was initially a play.

Average said:
I heard they were writing an 8th book that takes place 17 years after, which apparently was initially a play.
I checked into it. You can pre-buy it. But, it's the play script I think.

Really? I couldve sworn it was going to be turned into a book. But anyways I unfortunetly never got into the Harry Potter series as a kid, mostly because back then I didn't enjoy reading but even now I haven't had any real urge to start the series up.

Average said:
Really? I couldve sworn it was going to be turned into a book. But anyways I unfortunetly never got into the Harry Potter series as a kid, mostly because back then I didn't enjoy reading but even now I haven't had any real urge to start the series up.
Yeah, if you look it up on Amazon in small font it says screenplay by...such and such. Mind you if its an actual book I'll be all over it.

Potter taught me how to love reading, I struggled really hard as a young child learning to read.

Hm. Welp Ill go recheck it. And I know what you mean, eventually it was some random book called Poisen that got me into reading, with Percy Jackson being the first actual series I've read. Reading the series tho gave me my first of post book depression, and that wasn't fun at all. It did, however lead me into roleplaying, which was a lovely bi-product.

Maxxis said:
I checked into it. You can pre-buy it. But, it's the play script I think.
No its gonna be two books I follow JK Rowling on twitter and she confirmed. It's based in the script.

Here is the exact bit from Amazon the pre-order

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts I & II (Special Rehearsal Edition): The Official Script Book of the Original West End Production

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on 30th July 2016.

Me after reading Percy Jackson series... ;-;

Well, I'm still going to read BotL and LO but I have a feeling it will happen ;-;

I'm also reading Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. Only the first book, halfway through. It's a very dark but epic book I have to say.

AntiMatter said:
Me after reading Percy Jackson series... ;-;
Well, I'm still going to read BotL and LO but I have a feeling it will happen ;-;

I'm also reading Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. Only the first book, halfway through. It's a very dark but epic book I have to say.
Duuuude but its so good. It gets a bit more trippy as you continue, but still pretty lit. The last three words in the series killed me tho

Let me see i've that feeling more times that I can count. One time I found out latter that the writter had also written a short prequel on the series and let just say I didn't sleep much that night

Ugh, I know the feeling. Harry Potter, Divergent, The Hunger Games, The Selection, and Warriors all did that to me. Have you read the Erec Rex series? It's far from mainstream but it's a combo of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, and it's great! I read the first of the Miss Peregrines series, but I wasn't aware it was a series until just now... xD

I usually read a lot when I'm on vacation from work/school, but the last book I read kind of devastated me. It's called Something Like Summer, and it got me bawling for at least a week. It didn't have a sad ending or anything like that, but the fact that so much stuff happened right down the middle had me super sensitive to everything haha. So yeah I'd say I can relate :)

How did I dealt with it? I cried it out. My favorite character in the book had died, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Average said:
Ok so I just read the series "Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children" by Ransom Riggs, and man it was great. So great, however, that im left feeling kinda crap knowing that the series has ended(atm, but im pretty sure its end is indefinite). This leads me to ask my fellow book worms if you have ever felt this way about an end of a good series? And if so how did you guys deal with it?
I only felt post book depression when the book upset me somehow.

Much like a few people on here have already said, reading the ending of Harry Potter hit me hard.

It just had a certain charm on me, and I couldn't believe I had finished all of it when I read the final page.

I need to pick up more books to read for fun. A lot of the books I read are for school and it eats up my time. xD

But I remember when I was in high school, I was reading the manga Loveless... And I had to stop because it was making me super depressed.

...Does that count?

Oh god, I remember staring at my computer screen after finishing Harry Potter.

I felt sick to the stomach and I think I cried, because at that time Harry Potter was the only thing I had to waste my time with, I had no internet, no games, no anything and I would just drain my time by reading Harry Potter.

I felt strangely empty and it was a huge thing for little me.

Then I discovered Fanfiction and that feeling went away, and then I found roleplaying and I was even better. So now I am here!~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back