Other Podcast recommendations?

Nue

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some good podcast recommendations - I like having background noise whilst I draw so I listen to a lot of them, buuut I've finished/caught up with a lot of my favourites by now, and I'm looking for some new stuff so I don't end up relistening to Alice Isn't Dead for the 8th time-

to give you an idea, my favourites are Alice Isn't Dead, Welcome To Nightvale, My Brother My Brother and Me, The Adventure Zone, Limetown, the Mile Higher Podcast and the Nosleep Podcast.
So I'd say my fave genres are mystery, horror, and I guess true crime? But honestly, just recommend whatever you think is good regardless of genre aha.

For horror/supernatural/mystery, you can try The Magnus Archives. Each episode follows someone's account of a strange occurrence. There's an overarching plot, but the series is more of a slow burn. Episode 15 (Lost Johns Caverns) is a pretty good introduction to the series, if you'd like to get a feel of it first.

The Black Tapes is very well done -- at least from what I've listened to so far. Popular opinion seems to be that the first season is great, but it goes downhill from there. The podcast follows the story of a man determined to disprove evidence of paranormal existence; the so-called Black Tapes contain various forms of media that he can't find a scientific explanation for.

I've also heard good things about the new Twilight Zone series created by Jordan Peele (Get Out, Us).

For true crime, my favourites are Dirty John (about a con artist who targets women through online dating) and Crimetown S1 (about Providence, RI and the mafia scene there).

The triforce podcast is pretty funny. I like to listen to mikeymegamega draw with mikey while I sketch pictures. Offlinetv podcast is very nerdy.

If you like Adult Swim, they've just started an official podcast. It's very interesting if you're into the behind-the-scenes goings-on at AS or just into adult animation.

The Truth is a great podcast where short stories are told like a movie. It's essentially short movies for your ears and it's really great.

Hardcore History is straight up the best history podcast in the world, telling tales of the WW2 and ancient history.

99% Invisible tells stories of a lot of things you don't ever think about and it's really great.

If you’d like to listen to two hilarious Australian guys talk about mysteries, cryptids, UFOs, and ghost stories, check out Mysterious Universe.

If you’d like to listen to two hilarious Australian guys talk about mysteries, cryptids, UFOs, and ghost stories, check out Mysterious Universe.

I just came across the Mysterious Universe podcast recently. I agree with hooligan. Definitely entertaining! :D

If you’re looking for an interesting, science based/psychology podcast, I like the Hidden Brain by NPR.

WtNV, TAZ & MBMBAM started my terrible podcast addiction.

Right now I'm listening to:
  • Critical Role podcast; Popular show with famous voice actors playing DND because my friends wouldn't shut up about it.
  • Pizza Party Podcast; a train-wreck of a show where Panpizza and his friends try their best to stay on topic and discuss animation.
  • Reply All; Where they tackle little known topics about technology like "why certain podcasts crash my car", or "why did this rando steal my Instagram account".
  • Today Explained; A news podcast produced by Vox media.
  • Missing Richard Simmons; It's one rando looking for updates on Richard Simmons who's become very reclusive. You'll learn a lot of great things about a man you never really thought much about. Just keep in mind this isn't the greatest source of factual information, and the ethics behind this show are p sketch. Like I said it's just one rando's personal findings and opinions about a person he's never met. I highly recommend it and all of headlong's podcasts! They're never a great source of information but they're always incredibly interesting.
  • Nightmare on Film Street reviews and compares horror movies. I don't agree with all of their opinions, but I do love the hosts <3
  • Clients from Hell is a great podcast for freelancers or creatives in general. The title sounds more negative than the show actually is, it's mostly just tips for freelancers and letting everyone know that their time has inherent worth.
  • Conspiracy Theories (by Parcast Network) exactly what it says on the label
For true crime, I don't listen to a lot about murders but I adore anything that has to do with cults.
  • Heaven's gate
  • Dear Franklin Jones
  • You must remember this (has a special on Marlin Manson episodes 44 - 55)
  • Sounds like MLM but Ok
  • Cults (by Parcast Network)
  • Cultish
  • The only non-cult true crime podcasts I listen to
    • Running from Cops
    • Serial Killers (by Parcast Network)

Fellow podcast fans!

Here are some of my favorites:

Audio Drama
36 Questions: Starring the oh-so talented Jonathan Groff and Jessie Shelton, this 3-part musical podcast follows a couple trying to repair their relationship using the 36 questions designed to help two strangers fall in love.
The Bright Sessions: I know this one has already been mentioned. Just wanted to add on that it's a wonderful show about a bunch of people with superpowers who all see the same therapist. Bonus: there is a musical episode in season 3.

Speculative - Sci-fi Subjects
Flash Forward: Each episode tackles a possible or not so probable future scenario (e.g. substituting human teachers with robots, interplanetary tourism, technology that allows us to know when we'll die, etc.). Fun fodder for sci-fi or speculative future fiction, though some topics are admittedly a bit far-fetched.

Podcasts about Genre Fiction
Imaginary Worlds: This podcast has 20-30 minute episodes, each focusing on different elements of various fiction genres (e.g. literary sidekicks, fan fiction, origin stories, etc.). A fun listen for reader-writers.
Writing Excuses: A podcast about writing (primarily within the fantasy and sci-fi genres) hosted by fantasy and sci-fi writers Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, and a few others you might recognize. Episodes are 15-20 minutes and cover a variety of interesting subjects like magic systems, worldbuilding, and how to write characters who are smarter than you.
Breaking the Glass Slipper: A podcast that recognizes the contributions women have made to popular genre fiction. This podcast gives writing advice, profiles notable female authors, and discusses female representation in fiction. Interesting and important.

Society and Culture
Code Switch: An NPR podcast hosted by journalists of color that talks about race and representation. It's sometimes funny, sometimes painful, often relatable. Also important.

(:

I think you would love Lore by Aaron Mehnke. Each episode touches on something a lil spooky, whether it’s true crime, folk tales, or paranormal stuff. Very interesting, definitely one of my faves. There’s also a TV show of it on Amazon Prime!

Ahhh ty so much guys, I hadn't heard of a lot of these podcasts and quite a lot of them have caught my interest!

I think you would love Lore by Aaron Mehnke. Each episode touches on something a lil spooky, whether it’s true crime, folk tales, or paranormal stuff. Very interesting, definitely one of my faves. There’s also a TV show of it on Amazon Prime!
I Adore Lore! that is what I was going to recommend I used to listen on my way to work and home I love how its spooky entertaining and you learn things that are not common knowledge

my favorite podcast right now is tiny meat gang - it's done by youtubers cody ko and noel miller, and it's a comedy podcast, but it's extremely funny. i'll have it on in the background when i'm doing chores and it never fails to make me laugh out loud. i also quite like the maddie podcast, which talks in detail about the madeline mccann case.

DEFINITELY seconding the tiny meat gang and bright sessions recs! i really like the orbiting human circus which also produced by the wtnv team but its written about this boy-janitor and this like radio talkshow that broadcasts from the top of the eiffel tower and there are amazing stories in it that feel like old fairy tales and an incredible sountrack! and there's this short horror podcast called road trip by odetoshoelace thats really really good, its only got 6 episodes but trust me! also king falls am, which is set on the premise of the two hosts of a late night talk show living in a town where strange supernatural events keep happening. like a more lowkey version of wtnv but really really good writing + voice acting!

It really depends on what you are interested in. If you are looking for more talk radio and interested in family topics, there is a newer podcast called Basically Parenting. They cover things like dealing with your kids and family adventures. They are a married couple with great chemistry. For something more business related, checkout Let’s Talk Small. They discuss topics (podcast music business) that impact all businesses, but they focus a lot more on smaller businesses.

If you're in need of a intellectual charge I recommend Philosophize This.
For comedy, Bill Burr's podcast is a solid go-to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back