Advice/Help Plot guidance

SodaToast

Toastosterone
Hola.

As the title vaguely indicates, what I'm looking for is advice on how to guide the plot of a roleplay in a certain direction. Basically, I have some key plot point ideas for this roleplay I've been working on, except I have no idea if the characters will actually follow this plot line on their own and therefore I do not know if these plot points will even occur (not detail to detail, but generally). If the characters do not follow the plot line am I, the GM, supposed to try to guide them towards the general direction or just toss planning out the window and let the roleplayers decide the story for themselves?

I just feel like my time spent developing the world might go to waste if certain events are not experienced by the roleplayers. I definitely don't want to force things upon people but is there a way to gently nudge them in a certain direction? It's late and I'd prefer to get some advice from others before continuing on with the plot I currently have planned.

I would have your character go in the general direction of the plot.

But in the roleplay, all of the characters are treated as equals. I don't feel like having my character try to urge everybody else to flee or to try to convince everybody to fight an extremely challenging enemy every time an opportunity for different choices arises. Simply put, it wouldn't be realistic. Though, I will take your suggestion into consideration and maybe a compromise can be met somewhere between free will and the "almighty, superbly convincing powers of the GM." hehe

Thanks for your input. :)

Maybe create A need for them to accomplish the task; such as a famine of sorts.

Yeah, that would definitely be more realistic. I thought of something similar and it solved the problem of the characters' motive for going on their journey, but it's the smaller decisions that I'm concerned about. There can't really be a simple motive for each character for a variety of different situations. Ugh, lots of brain work around sleep time is not helping my productivity. I'll revisit this problem afresh in the morning and hopefully by then a solution will have appeared.

Hola.

As the title vaguely indicates, what I'm looking for is advice on how to guide the plot of a roleplay in a certain direction. Basically, I have some key plot point ideas for this roleplay I've been working on, except I have no idea if the characters will actually follow this plot line on their own and therefore I do not know if these plot points will even occur (not detail to detail, but generally). If the characters do not follow the plot line am I, the GM, supposed to try to guide them towards the general direction or just toss planning out the window and let the roleplayers decide the story for themselves?

I just feel like my time spent developing the world might go to waste if certain events are not experienced by the roleplayers. I definitely don't want to force things upon people but is there a way to gently nudge them in a certain direction? It's late and I'd prefer to get some advice from others before continuing on with the plot I currently have planned.
Always have a divergent path if they don't do what you want, especially if you're choosing to give them freedom. I would ramble on about how fun your players not meeting expectations can be,but that's a topic for nother time. But if something is super important and you absolutely think it's paramount that they experience it, then just talk to them. There's nothing wrong with asking em to humor you if you've done nothing but humor their ideas this whole time.

Always have a divergent path if they don't do what you want, especially if you're choosing to give them freedom. I would ramble on about how fun your players not meeting expectations can be,but that's a topic for nother time. But if something is super important and you absolutely think it's paramount that they experience it, then just talk to them. There's nothing wrong with asking em to humor you if you've done nothing but humor their ideas this whole time.

Fair enough. I've never actually thought about talking about the plot line OOC before...must've missed it. >.<

I'll try that for the really important scenes that I wish to occur. Thanks for the advice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back