• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

~Please Help~ HTML Confusion

ROUX

Hand of the King
Hello! I'm having trouble with the source button and posting content with html/css codes. 

I copy/pasted the code I'd create on another site into the text box AFTER pressing source. Then, I pressed source again, and my Character Sheet showed up perfectly. However, when I pose the content or go to preview it, it fails to reproduce the product of the code!

Here is the code I used:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Cormorant Unicase">
href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Cinzel">
href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Italianno">
<style>
ul.tab {
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
overflow: hidden;
border: 5px solid Black;
background-color: Black;
}

ul.tab li {float: center;}

ul.tab li a {
display: inline-block;
color: White;
text-align: center;
padding: 14px 16px;
text-decoration: none;
transition: 0.5s;
font-size: 17px;
}

ul.tab li a:hover {background-color: cadetblue;}

ul.tab li a:focus, .active {background-color: cadetblue;}

.tabcontent {
display: none;
padding: 6px 12px;
border: 5px solid Black;
border-top: none;
Background-color: Cadetblue;
}

.tabcontent {
-webkit-animation: fadeEffect 1s;
animation: fadeEffect 1s; /* Fading effect takes 1 second */
}

@-webkit-keyframes fadeEffect {
from {opacity: 0;}
to {opacity: 1;}
}

@keyframes fadeEffect {
from {opacity: 0;}
to {opacity: 1;}
}

.ui-tabs .ui-tabs-nav li.ui-tabs-active a {
color: White;
}

h1 {
font-family: 'Cormorant Unicase', serif;
font-size: 48px;
}

h2 {
font-family: 'Italianno', serif;
}

h3 {
font-family: 'Cinzel', serif;
}

div.container {
width: 100%;
border: 5px solid Azure;
Background-color: Azure;
padding:15px;
box-shadow: 5px 10px 15px 2px black;

}

header, footer {
padding: 1em;
color: white;
background-color: black;
clear: left;
text-align: center;
}

nav {
float: left;
max-width: 160px;
margin-left: 15px;
border-left: 5px dotted black
}

nav ul {
list-style-type: none;
padding: 0;
}

nav ul a {
text-decoration: none;
}

article {
margin-left: 150px;
border-left: 5px dotted black;
overflow: hidden;
Background-color: Azure
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<div class="container">

<header>
<h1>Lucifer Camille</h1>
</header>

<nav>
<ul>
<li><a href="https://www.rpnation.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IQEbIXzz_QY/Tkls6Oj7XCI/AAAAAAAAFHs/fQ_g1nA9h7o/s1600/anthony+g_0024.jpg&key=107245eb2a6f8cc2e86b3dea6dced14ac55e02b7f576e2da79540ae3ee7d1511">Lucifer 1</a></li>
<li><a href="https://www.rpnation.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/a2/0a/f7a20ac073b038369adbe8f75147e5af.jpg&key=29b96d280adbb19684779ef91db968ede822c44f4d38dd745f7a4014c4eb6097">Lucifer 2</a></li>
<li><a href="https://www.rpnation.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://celebrityimages.org/images/7134602/7134602_1.jpeg&key=f11b260413fb89ac2b10f5df3a78659706e24ba97cbd26661e0582db06f5591c">Lucifer 3</a></li>
</ul>
</nav>

<article>
<h2> "Hello, darlings." </h2>
<ul class="tab">
<li><a href="javascript:void(0)" class="tablinks" onclick="openCity(event, 'Basic')">Basic</a></li>
<li><a href="javascript:void(0)" class="tablinks" onclick="openCity(event, 'Personality')">Personality</a></li>
<li><a href="javascript:void(0)" class="tablinks" onclick="openCity(event, 'Bio')">Bio</a></li>
</ul>

<div id="Basic" class="tabcontent">
<h3>Basic Info</h3>
<p style="color:Azure;font-family:Courier;">
</p>
<span onclick="this.parentElement.style.display='none'">||Close||</span>
</div>

<div id="Personality" class="tabcontent">
<h3>Personality</h3>
<p style="color:Azure;font-family:Courier;">Surprisingly enough - Lucifer, in personality, might actually live up to his name. The man is an enigma, and most certainly unhinged, though an impenetrable shield of calm and collected tends to conceal his dark thoughts and twisted mind. He knows good and well what he needs to be successful in this world, and has no problems weaving his way there by any means necessary. Manipulation, deception, cunning and chilling lack of remorse do characterize him, and such indisputable facts aren’t likely to change. If his heart is cold, it’s because his mind has leeched it’s warmth with the horrors it witnessed, instead channeling what was once the beauty of a child’s innocence into a deadly weapon aimed to burn.
Despite this, he won’t attack if unprovoked, that would be illogical, and he does stand for logic. His first impressions are always portraying the intelligence, determination, and genteel he appears to retain. This isn’t to say that these qualities are false, however, his mood can change in seconds depending on what situation is brought before him. His face, however, will not change, and it is not odd for him to be able to deploy such harsh cutting phrases and words before the one who’d provoked him could even have time to realize they’d crossed a line.
The man is always watching those around him, what they say, do, and display that they feel. He isn’t a mind reader, but his appreciation for secrets and the power he may be able to wield with such is always a worthy incentive to get close to others. Friendships are simply useful to him in the long term for keeping tabs, and respecting the authority he comes across serves to benefit him as well, though neither hold his guarantee to doing more than appearing genuine.
Romance, in his opinion, is only a means to an end. He finds it amazingly easy to elicit information from those who believe he loves them, or cares about them. He never does. Love is pointless to the man, too much risk with too little reward, and there has only been one instance where he’s even bothered with the physicality of such. In Lucifer’s mind, there is little chance anyway for someone to be as twisted as him inside if he ever did try to truly love. Until then, however...those longing gazes from others would be returned with the usual smug smile on his face, a look that as always, hides the madness that lies beneath the surface.</p>
</div>

<div id="Bio" class="tabcontent">
<h3>Biography/History</h3>
<p style="color:Azure;font-family:Courier;">He grew up on the upper east side of New York City, bathed in his parent's wealth - however that doesn't make him any less hardworking than others oh no, that just wouldn't do. Discipline was needed, and he forced himself to learn this when he dropped the name he'd been given and more or less worked to create his own identity from scratch, Attending college early and finishing to then attend Law School at Columbia based on merit alone, rather than his parent's contacts. Now he works as a junior partner at a Law firm, one he fully intends to gain control of...in time. So far, he's been content with his little apartment, investing his money into his other projects.</p>
</div>
</article>

<footer> - R o u x - </footer>

</div>

<script>
function openCity(evt, cityName) {
var i, tabcontent, tablinks;
tabcontent = document.getElementsByClassName("tabcontent");
for (i = 0; i < tabcontent.length; i++) {
tabcontent.style.display = "none";
}
tablinks = document.getElementsByClassName("tablinks");
for (i = 0; i < tablinks.length; i++) {
tablinks.className = tablinks.className.replace(" active", "");
}
document.getElementById(cityName).style.display = "block";
evt.currentTarget.className += " active";
}
</script>

</body>
</html>

However, in this link in the most recent post, you can see how it doesn't show up when posted:

When the content is supposed to be showing as this:

IMG_1566.JPG

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Though you can use some JavaScript on this site, you shouldn't be able to, so be careful about that.

You don't need the doctype, html, head or body tags, since you're not making a website.

And, for some reason, CSS won't work unless you put something, like an empty p tag, before the style tags.

See if that helps.

So firstly you don't need to specify doctype or body or anything. You aren't writing an entirely new file, you're just putting some additional HTML into an already existing page. Your content is inserted into the DIV box that is your post.

Incidentally, for this reason, you absolutely must not target page elements, which your current code does. Knowingly altering the site's appearance outside your post will quickly net you a warning and loss of HTML privileges at a minimum. You can circumvent this by placing all your code within a div with a certain class and using CSS to alter .class ul, for example, instead of just ul.

Anyway, the reason your CSS is being ignored is because for some reason the site eats any CSS that does not have content before it. Try an empty paragraph before writing any code. :)

So firstly you don't need to specify doctype or body or anything. You aren't writing an entirely new file, you're just putting some additional HTML into an already existing page. Your content is inserted into the DIV box that is your post.

Incidentally, for this reason, you absolutely must not target page elements, which your current code does. Knowingly altering the site's appearance outside your post will quickly net you a warning and loss of HTML privileges at a minimum. You can circumvent this by placing all your code within a div with a certain class and using CSS to alter .class ul, for example, instead of just ul.

Anyway, the reason your CSS is being ignored is because for some reason the site eats any CSS that does not have content before it. Try an empty paragraph before writing any code. :)

Okay, I'll try those ^-^ 

I didn't mean to alter the site's appearance, Im sorry if I did, I spent all day trying to learn how to do the coding stuff and I really was just copying and pasting what I'd finally come up with on the learning website. I'll try to fix it, and thank you so much for the help ;3

Okay, I'll try those ^-^ 

I didn't mean to alter the site's appearance, Im sorry if I did, I spent all day trying to learn how to do the coding stuff and I really was just copying and pasting what I'd finally come up with on the learning website. I'll try to fix it, and thank you so much for the help ;3

There are some tutorials here on RPN for some basics.  But yes, be careful to not alter the site's appearance itself and the best way to do that is create div classes for standard things such as lists, scroll bars, and such.

There are some tutorials here on RPN for some basics.  But yes, be careful to not alter the site's appearance itself and the best way to do that is create div classes for standard things such as lists, scroll bars, and such.

How would I create those specific div classes? I used that code up there a few times, but I'm guessing I didn't do it properly to contain my post inside the box where it's supposed to be, rather than a regular website. Is there a way I could use the div to make it all go inside?

How would I create those specific div classes? I used that code up there a few times, but I'm guessing I didn't do it properly to contain my post inside the box where it's supposed to be, rather than a regular website. Is there a way I could use the div to make it all go inside?

I'll type a random div class example:

.class {
font-size:15px;
color:#000;
font-varient:small-caps;
}

<div class="class">The text here is contained in this specific div class.</div>

There are certain elements that you will need to code a bit differently such as things that are "built in" to the existing site's design; ordered and unordered lists, for example.  For that you'd need to create unique IDs.

.result ul {
/* CSS styles */
}

<ul class="result">
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ul>

This will prevent your CSS for styling lists from altering the site's built-in code.  Please be careful as well with creating unique class names and IDs as they behave as style "parents" which I learned myself when I first played with the coding on RPN.  If you create a new class with same name, they will overlap each other if they are contained within the same thread or the first "parent" will override the next class.  So if I set the color to #000 in .class in one post, then set the color to #fff with the same name, it will cause design problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll type a random div class example:

.class {
font-size:15px;
color:#000;
font-varient:small-caps;
}

<div class="class">The text here is contained in this specific div class.</div>

There are certain elements that you will need to code a bit differently such as things that are "built in" to the existing site's design; ordered and unordered lists, for example.  For that you'd need to create unique IDs.

.result ul {
/* CSS styles */
}

<ul class="result">
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ul>

This will prevent your CSS for styling lists from altering the site's built-in code.  Please be careful as well with creating unique class names and IDs as they behave as style "parents" which I learned myself when I first played with the coding on RPN.  If you create a new class with same name, they will overlap each other if they are contained within the same thread or the first "parent" will override the next class.  So if I set the color to #000 in .class in one post, then set the color to #fff with the same name, it will cause design problems.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for explaining it to me C:  

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for explaining it to me C:  

No problem.  I'm not a pro, but if you have a question feel free to PM me and I will try and give you an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back