Pitch Selection

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
So I'm idly making adjustments to a new setting, and I often find trying to run a short RP with new projects helps me to develop them, find flaws, that kind of thing.

But it's a big, complicated setting, and it's hard to decide from whose perspective to show it in an interest check, or indeed, which of the various factions would be good choices for players characters.

This will, at least in part, be easier when I settle on cultural and economic details for various factions (assuming I don't switch to a different metaphysical base and rewrite the whole thing, as a creative exercise), but for now I wanted to see how people respond to some potental pitches. Questions, criticisms, all welcome.

The Bandi Angle

Once, there was an Empire.

It stretched from the temple-cities of the homeworld to the furthest stars. It was built upon wonders of magitech that bent physics to their whim and laughed at the interstellar gulf.

It was a time of peace and enlightenment. No one now remembers what it was really like, but we know it was glorious - and like all golden ages, it was lost.

The Wild Hunt came screaming out of The Elsewhere, a dimension where reason and science failed, and tore apart the works of the Magi.

The war raged for centuries, and the Magi could not prevail, barely able to fend off the Others no matter how many weapons of apocalyptic might they forged.

Until they made you.

You are Bandi; and as you emerge from stasis, you find your memories of the past missing. Perhaps eroded by faulty protcols, maybe even tampered with.

But your body remembers. Even now, waking from millennia of slumber, your sluggish swordplay outmatches your foes. Your shoddy aim still fells four enemies in five. Your magic turns mighty warriors to ash.

And you are alone, save for the voice of The Dreamer over the datalinks.

The system is in turmoil, Bandi - will you take up your ancient duty as guardians of peace, or assume the mantle of rule as inheritors to the lost Magi?

The Colonist Angle

I am Enso Wylam, of Tombwatch. Don't let the name fool you - it's a nice enough city, all things considered. They say the Tomb was where the Magi of old times made planetfall here, that once it was a city of wonder and majesty that towered to the upper atmo. Now it's a barrow under the red sands.

My ancestors came to this planet with genes optimized to survive until it looked like the homeworld, but then a cataclysm came, a war that destroyed the old Republic. In the stories, it's said that entities from beyond the edge of the solar system arrived in ships of spun glass and living bone, and fought the Magi with weapons that shattered one of the moons of the homeworld. It's said that the Magi made their own monsters to fight back, and they got out of control, so they had to fight a war on two fronts. It's said their last experiment was a success, too late. 

And just as soon as they appeared, the Others were gone. Chaos followed, the shipping lanes collapsed and vital infrastructure destroyed.  Without the Magi, we were like children. To this day, we still don't know how their machines work, and we surely can't reproduce them. Everything we know about physics, they just... they ignored it. Bent it. We had to learn everything over again while renegade bioweapons terrorized the system and rogue military units declared themselves in control.

We had help, though, or so the stories say. No one has seen a Bandi in centuries - the eyeless sentinels who protected my ancestors in silence, appearing from nowhere to fend off threats with gun and blade, before disappearing as if swallowed by the sands. No great story about why they stopped coming; they just... stopped.

Still, we're lucky. There are former colonies out there that have reverted to tribalism, that really believe in gods and monsters. Others have been taken over by the Jukari, theocratic cyborgs with violet eyes and an immortal empress who calls the works of the Magi blasphemous. We still have an ancient orbital defense array intact, so they haven't got us yet. But it seems like a matter of time before we're enslaved, too. Can't match their tech. 

Some of the younger folk are talking about going to the Tomb. They think they can wake up the Bandi, to save us. 

Maybe they're right.

The Jukari Angle

I am Juka Deskar, and I am honoured to be twenty-third Archon of the Divine. Flesh of Her flesh, my cybernetics are light compared to my daughters and sons whose distance from Her renders them weak. 

I lead them, now, my forty children armed as the Empire's finest, into the decrepit belly of a Magus Temple.

It must be millennia old, and yet the traces of their might are impossible to ignore. Though their arcane machines smoulder and crack behind the walls, or spin madly, without purpose in the echoing halls, even now a few function like they day they were made. The hull has been breached nowhere and the life support systems remain intact, and my scientists tell me more mechanisms within show signs of operation even though they appear dormant.

We still do not know how to combat the genetic decay of our people. The cloning cycles barely maintain our current stability, and our numbers cannot grow. It is my hope some secret in this place will cure us, and if not, might at least open the way to other hidden temples. 

My children and I have descended into the depths of this facility, and fortuitously it seems to be a medical centre. Multisurgeons sleep like vast, spiny insects in the sterile darkness. Empty stasis pods hum along the walls like vacant tombs. Their language is stamped on surfaces everywhere. I cannot decipher more than two morphemes of any string.

"Archon."

My third-favoured son, Deska Hun. Speaking through comms from two rooms away.

"We have found a sealed stasis pod."

I do not hesitate.

The pod sits alone in an unadorned, circular room. I can see defunct security systems everywhere - in an emergency, this room was to be sealed completely, flooded with... something, and then jettisoned into space. What could be contained here? Could it be a living Magus?

For a moment, I consider instructing my children to enact those protocols and destroy this thing, but perhaps...

Our records clearly show that some Magi had power over life, creating living machines and altering themselves to better suit their needs. If there is a chance that one lives, might be compelled to save us, it must be worth the risk.

I have spent too long in contemplation; the seal is hissing. The sleeper is waking up.

I issue a command to ready weapons, and draw my sword. Forged by my own hand from the core of a comet, anointed in my sacred blood. Magi were powerful, but they could still be killed. I am confident this one will be no match for me if it chooses violence.

What emerges from the pod is humanoid in shape, but it is clad in sleek armour that moves almost like flesh. Ivory and gold, with a full helmet. I see my reflection in that mirrored faceplate, and then I am blind. My optics struggle to compensate, but my biological eyes are overwhelmed. I hear gunfire and roll for cover, and when my vision clears ten of my children lie dead, broken. One is incinerated beyond recognition. I allow my rage to consume me, to strengthen me, and charge this murderous ghost where it stands among the corpses, seemingly examining a rifle taken from the dead.

It doesn't look at me, doesn't react except to raise one long-fingered hand in my direction, and I realize I have made a mistake. 

I awaken four AUs coreward and carry the fear of death into my new body. In two-hundred years, I have not been killed and forced to reinstantiate in a fresh clone. In an instant, that elder thing destroyed me.

As I wait for the meditechs to clear me for decanting, I pull up the facility database on fast new inlays. I trawl archival recordings.

Where I had felt a righteous hatred growing, now there is creeping dread. We had believed the Bandi to be a myth, and now, I had awoken one.

Thoughts? These necessarily imply different plotlines, but I want to draw people in with a feel for the setting and potential plots before getting to the nitty gritty. Thanks to the new Hosted Projects I could accommodate a characters from multiple factions with overlapping plotlines. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure which plot hook I love more!

The three viewpoints each capture a different vision of the reality that helps it hang together all the more cohesively.

I suspect the Jukari would be the most challenging mentally for players to realize (I'm seeing some kind of hierarchical hive mind there, is that right? Very inhuman regardless, though with a very human need to stave off racial extinction - kudos) though that could be interesting to characterize as well. 

I'm curious on how you'd run the Bandi plot thread. Since they're essentially supersoldiers wrought from forgotten powers, superior to most of what they face even just awakened it seems to me that any reasonably-sized group of Bandi characters won't be seriously threatened by anything physical in this fallen age.  Unless the Wild Hunt has a few outriders still about, looking for signs of Magitech, most  of their challenges would be social or philosophical - which again could be interesting.

Would you have each player in the Bandi plot line run a Bandi, or pair them with a Dreamer player?

Thank you! 

I'm seeing some kind of hierarchical hive mind there, is that right?

It's not quite a hive-mind, but they do have very efficient communication and a strong emphasis on hierarchy. You're right, though, it would be challenging. I've seen players handle very similar characters, however, so it's not as much a barrier as it might appear.

Would you have each player in the Bandi plot line run a Bandi, or pair them with a Dreamer player?

Hrm. Looks like I wasn't clear in the text. There is only one Dreamer, an NPC guide for the awakening Bandi. 

You are correct that Bandi are hard to challenge in terms of violence, but they're heavily outnumbered - I no longer have it on file, but I believe I decided there were only 144 Bandi remaining. I can't find room for all the factions in those interest check pitches, but there are more potential enemies out there, and next time the Jukari will be prepared. So their challenges my often be in terms of relating to what potential allies remain, and in finding their footing philosophically - will they be guardians, or rulers, or find some other way?

In some ways, that makes the Bandi hardest of all to play, but thanks to their amnesia, they're also an effective entry into the setting - you, the player, learn things as your Bandi gets up to date with the state of the solar system. They're sufficiently powerful that if players make mistakes, they don't necessarily suffer too much for it, and so alien that any social faux pas is just part of their inscrutable mystique.

And when it reaches a dramatically appropriate moment, maybe the reason for the Bandi's return will become apparent...

Very interesting!

I doubt you need any help developing this, but if you find you want a wall to bounce any other ideas off and see if they splatter into interesting patterns, well call me brick.

And I'll keep an eye out for the interest check...

Cheers for that. You reckon setting those three segments in the right order would be a good interest check, instead of using just one? Not too long, appropriately attention-grabbing? Do you feel they communicated enough about the RP?

About the setting, yes definitely.

It will hook players, but I might elaborate a little more in the ooc postscript on who the characters can be, and whether they're in the same or other plot lines.

I know the answer to this from your follow on post, but on first read I might think it was a poll - or a mixed party with wildly different capabilities.

I think playing as the Bandi will be the most difficult option. Don't get me wrong; I really like them, but in so far as character options here, they're the least relatable. Like the Demon problem all over again; what kind of shape can character development reasonably take? Amnesia helps quite a bit, but for the most part you're going to have to have a *ton* of information to hand your players, unless your group is that perfect storm of enthusiastic sci fi world builders who will want to reshape the universe in their own image (I'd *love* to see that, personally).

I absolutely think the other factions will lend themselves to an interesting game; something like a Colonist Manifesto document, and Tenets of the Divine would be all you'd really need to get them off the ground. I'm not sure about crossover, except in extremely specific circumstances, though overlap and threads affecting threads would totally work, and probably lead to much excitement in the OOC ~

I feel like for Bandi, character development is finding their place in the world and defining their existence on their terms. But they are the most posthuman faction you can join, probably, so it would be a challenge.

Overlapping plotlines and threads would be the way to do it. Hell, even a group of colonial rebels attacking a Jukari facility while a cell of Bandi quietly sabotage defenses and assasinate commanders without allowing their presence to be known is an obvious 'episode' to aim for.

I would have to do more work for a colonist manifesto, but Tenets of the Divine and similar documents would be fun and possibly quite effective. 

I think a good "colonist manifesto" could be the initial colonial charter setting out its purpose under the Republic.

Then with annotations in another voice talking about it being rediscovered after the Fall and preserved.

Then with annotations from a third voice in the "present" talking about rediscovering this in the archives, railing at its cryptic references (missing "assumed knowledge" or present day misunderstanding of meanings) and now making it a reference text for colonial schooling.

It would make for a bit more work though, but I think it'd be fun.

I reckon for the Bandi, if you have enough documents for the players to read through, argue about, and form their own opinions of, the game will almost run itself. The likely players you'll draw will be the ones who like to explore a rich setting, and the ones who like a lot of freedom to build a fictional society....actually, as I type this, it occurs to me Bandi will be deceptively simple to run with. There's even room for heist or infiltration scenarios.

I think a good "colonist manifesto" could be the initial colonial charter setting out its purpose under the Republic.

Then with annotations in another voice talking about it being rediscovered after the Fall and preserved.

Then with annotations from a third voice in the "present" talking about rediscovering this in the archives, railing at its cryptic references (missing "assumed knowledge" or present day misunderstanding of meanings) and now making it a reference text for colonial schooling.

That sounds *really* appealing as an in-setting document.

I am fascinated by this setting all-around. It reminds me a lot of Michael Moorcock's books with a Final Fantasy/Spelljammer setting, although the Jukari reminds me of the Lovecraft/Howard short story collab that I once read. Can't recall the name, now.

The Bandi definitely have the power trip appeal, but could devolve into an endless battle if you don't have the right players. The possibility of character growth is limited, unless there's a story focus on cultural and social ties. That's where the Bandi are the weakest. Even if the Bandi want to rule the multiverse, they need someone to administer it and help them defend it, and that's far more difficult to find than most would think.  Not even the Bandi can be everywhere at once. Gaining assistance and choosing who to help at what time would be dramatic. Or they may develop ties through people that wake them up. People that are vulnerable.

The Colonist angle is more intriguing, since it's the people at the bottom that have the biggest room for growth. Would there be a possibility of a colonist being transformed into a Bandi? That would give defined character growth and let the game evolve over time. Or could one of the players be a traitor looking to destroy/control the Bandi? That'd create a lot of tension with a definite end, although it could arc over to further struggles with the traitor's organization.

I agree that the Jakari would be the hardest to play, although it could be a fresh look at horror. I'd imagine it as Call of Cthulhu, with players losing sanity as they encounter more of the Magi's creations and their communication infrastructure is damaged. The elder power angle combined with the slow decay of their social structure would be very dramatic.

Those are my initial thoughts, anyway. Which you choose depends on the types of players that you are looking for and which you want to avoid.

I am fascinated by this setting all-around. It reminds me a lot of Michael Moorcock's books with a Final Fantasy/Spelljammer setting, although the Jukari reminds me of the Lovecraft/Howard short story collab that I once read. Can't recall the name, now.

Definitely gonna take this as praise. Cheers!

Would there be a possibility of a colonist being transformed into a Bandi? That would give defined character growth and let the game evolve over time. Or could one of the players be a traitor looking to destroy/control the Bandi? That'd create a lot of tension with a definite end, although it could arc over to further struggles with the traitor's organization.

It would be unlikely for a colonist to become a Bandi, but a lot of transformative tech is still out there - no reason a group of desperate colonial rebels couldn't tamper with something they don't understand and come out changed. Possibly with the help of Bandi. They don't remember how they were made, afterall; they might gamble on something.

A traitor like that wouldn't be impossible. Likewise, I could see defectors from some other factions - a low-ranking Jukari might be tempted to switch sides.

Thank you for that. Finding the right players for any iteration would be tricky. 

Maybe I'll try just the colonist one, for ease of entry, in the near future. 

Without knowing what Grey very carefully hasn't even hinted at (Are the Magi actually gone? If so, where/how/why? Are the Wild Hunt actually gone? If so, where/how/why?) I'm reading the fact that there are survivors and surviving Magitech as that the Wild Hunt were either driven off (though the Magi were lost in the process) or that the Wild Hunt don't really care about life, just the Magi and their deeds.

In either case, I'm imagining their having seeded hidden sleeper agents among the "mere humans" (possibly something nanite-related that can be passed down through the generations) to be activated in the presence of a significant level of Magitech. Possibly Grey would assign this role to an unwitting character in the setting, and if circumstances come to bring them into contact with this unusual level of Magitech (say... a Bandi?) their priorities change and they seek a way to attract the Wild Hunt's attention. 

It could even be a player character, although I suspect that would involve a PM conversation if/when they were activated to confirm their agreement for this change to their nature. 

Just some idle speculation - I've been thinking a bit about this today, and how I'd play the various roles.

All three of those spiels are immensely appealing, and each presents a different facet to view the setting from.

Personally, I get a good vibe fom this. Space Opera, but with far more variety than a lot of other settings. There's not one thing that I can really compare it to. Sure, there are other ones that are relatively similar, but comapring is like attempting to fit square pegs in round holes. Ultimately, this is so much it's own thing, it's delicious. Also, I've REALLY been hungering for a good science-fantasy setting for like, forever.

I wouldn't mind playing any one of the three factions that've been set up, or all three.

Bandi, a living weapon without purpose, save what DREAMER whispers.

Colonists, doing what they can to survive, maybe even bring about a better tomorrow.

Jukari, wrought with terrible strength, attempting to stave off the decline that they have seen consume those who came before.

I'm glad others were able to voice constructive thoughts. I've been trying to write something that may be helpful, but honestly I like all three. They compliment each other in a way that makes me interested in the world at large instead of one specific angle. After finishing the Jukari angle and rereading them with better understanding, I kind a want to read the novel version. I guess I'll go check out whatever this... Spelljammer... thing is until I see this RP made.

I'm glad others were able to voice constructive thoughts. I've been trying to write something that may be helpful, but honestly I like all three. They compliment each other in a way that makes me interested in the world at large instead of one specific angle. After finishing the Jukari angle and rereading them with better understanding, I kind a want to read the novel version. I guess I'll go check out whatever this... Spelljammer... thing is until I see this RP made.

What cokemonster said.

I'd be excited to play any of the aspects that become roleplay - and would still probably mourn the perspectives I don't get to experience.

I'm not sure I could extend the Jukari log to a novel, but I do owe my Patrons something so I should crank out a short story before the month ends.

Definitely gonna take this as praise. Cheers!

It would be unlikely for a colonist to become a Bandi, but a lot of transformative tech is still out there - no reason a group of desperate colonial rebels couldn't tamper with something they don't understand and come out changed. Possibly with the help of Bandi. They don't remember how they were made, afterall; they might gamble on something.

A traitor like that wouldn't be impossible. Likewise, I could see defectors from some other factions - a low-ranking Jukari might be tempted to switch sides.

Thank you for that. Finding the right players for any iteration would be tricky. 

Maybe I'll try just the colonist one, for ease of entry, in the near future. 

Definitely praise. Uniqueness is easy, just program a computer to randomly print 70,000-100,000 words. The real skill is in picking bits and pieces of existing work to create something brand new that still makes sense. Creation is a conversation, not a madman babbling in the dark.

And colonist would definitely be the most approachable pitch for the general RPer. Experienced players could have fun with the other two, but there's a risk of kick-in-the-door play in the first one and disconnect in the third. Plus the colonist one could easily incorporate themes from the other two if you felt like it.

Definitely praise. Uniqueness is easy, just program a computer to randomly print 70,000-100,000 words. The real skill is in picking bits and pieces of existing work to create something brand new that still makes sense. Creation is a conversation, not a madman babbling in the dark.

I agree. It's just Moorcock is quite a comparison, and Lovecraft has been an influence on my work since I read The Cats of Ulthar in my teens - I was flattered and didn't know what to say.

I may try spooling up a game with the colonists in the near future, once I'm finished assessing the health of my other RPs - the site overhaul was a violent transition for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back