• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Peachy Springs: A surreal RP

Vinipote

Two heads are better than one
Welcome to Peachy Springs, population: 546 and 1/2.

Your car broke down, you refused to stop for directions, or perhaps you're on a very poorly planned honeymoon. Only one thing is certain: you are woefully lost. Whatever the reason you find yourself here, you might as well enjoy the town's wholesome, quaint, 1950's charm. It's a cozy little hamlet, quiet and secluded, between miles of highway. Miles, and miles, and miles of highway.

There appears to be a frog infestation, here. At least the locals seem friendly.

1839_original.jpg

A local couple

2299_original.jpg

The weekly meeting of the Breatharian Society

1688_original.jpg

A Superfluity of Nuns in afternoon prayer outside of The Church of Our Most Gracious Host Who Currently Cannot Be Reached for Comment (TCOOMGHWCCBRFC).

1432_original.jpg

The Mayor

Peachy Springs is a game wherein players find themselves stranded in a small American town, that seems to have a number of unusual qualities. Here, things such as spoon bending, psychic cow-tipping, and the occult are the norm. There are a number of peculiar residents, some of whom are perfectly harmless. You'd better get used to them, however, as communication with the outside world has been cut off. Escape, needless to say, seems impossible.

You, the player, are a human (at least mostly) and you wind up in the town through some time/space shenanigans. Therefore, you can hail anywhere from the 1900's to the present day, though there is an IC anachronism agent, who hunts for anything or anyone who looks terribly out of place. There are plenty of other antagonists your character may encounter, and you would ideally learn about the town's nature as you play.

I had trouble fitting it to a genre, but I ultimately picked realistic over fantasy, as it is missing high fantasy themes (fireballs, world-saving antics). I'm also looking for people who like playing humans, or at least mostly human characters, and who enjoy writing artistically, humorously, and solving cryptic puzzles. This has something of a Twilight Zone vibe, though it is not based on it.

If you're interested, or have any questions, let me know! If you'd like to apply, you can pitch a character idea or link to an existing character.

Here is a link to a live journal containing further lore: Peachy Springs

Impressive use of your muse man. Alfred Hitchcock would be most amused.

Dropping a questionnaire for GM-ness to answer when you have time:

1) Generally speaking, what kind of characters would you like to see from your players in this RP? Alternatively, what characters types or models would you prefer to be used sparsely, or not at all?

2) How involved are the player characters actions through the plot? Do the PC's actions make the story, or is the plot scripted and pretty set already?

3) Is there an OOC in the works yet?

MedievalMethods said:
Impressive use of your muse man. Alfred Hitchcock would be most amused.
Dropping a questionnaire for GM-ness to answer when you have time:

1) Generally speaking, what kind of characters would you like to see from your players in this RP? Alternatively, what characters types or models would you prefer to be used sparsely, or not at all?

2) How involved are the player characters actions through the plot? Do the PC's actions make the story, or is the plot scripted and pretty set already?

3) Is there an OOC in the works yet?
Thank you for your kind words and questions! Let me answer to the best of my abilities:

1) I'm looking for people who enjoy writing their own, original characters, with flaws, a fleshed out backstory, and room for character development. Though the environment is plenty strange, I'd like the players to maintain a sense of realism (i.e, no cartoonish characters). They'd also be human, although there's room for paranormal alterations occurring once they've arrived in town. I'm also looking for people who are not primarily interested in romance plots. While (non-explicit) romance is okay, it would not be the main focus of the story. Main characters should be adults, whereas underaged and child characters would need to be more of a side, environmental addition (i.e, someone has a son or daughter with them).

I do not have any specific roles I'm looking for, but I can give a few examples of tropes that would fit: the detective, the wanderer, the soldier, the lost soul, the scientist, the innocent, the regular guy/gal, the explorer, the rebel.

Tropes that should be used very sparsely would be, the lover, the ruler, the sage, the hero.

No character would have an innate understanding of the town's reality, but it is alright to have a character who can quickly adapt and accept their strange new circumstances.

2) There are a few predetermined plot points, which mainly have to do with the town itself, and secrets that can be discovered. Other than that, players have a great impact on the story, and determine the outcome of plots.

3) I might be misunderstanding what you're asking, but there would be channels for OOC communication, either through live journal or whatever works for people. I'd like to use the live journal blog as a hub for lore, logs, etc.

Vinipote said:
Yes, absolutely. It plays on every jukebox every hour, only punctuated by this:
Y’know, I can see that working... If I stop associating it with Bad Robots and prime-time television.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole concept of this roleplay seems weirdly charming~ I would totally be up for this.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understood the roleplayers are going to portray only human characters while you, as the GM, take on the roles of the... "usual" town residents, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
HornedGhost said:
The whole concept of this roleplay seems weirdly charming~ I would totally be up for this.
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understood the roleplayers are going to portray only human characters while you, as the GM, take on the roles of the... "usual" town residents, right?
That is correct, at least to begin with! This is so players can get accustomed to the niche theme of the game. Once players have got their footing, there are opportunities for them to develop their own "peculiar" qualities, if they so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back