PC's killed my Perfect!

So my (100+ XP) players killed the Perfect of Paragon and EVERYONE saw them.  

Now that they have auctioned off his wardrobe and raided the armory and are beginning to hold court there (no one has actually said they want to be in charge), they have been marauding around the countryside taking care of the peasants' problems, knocking off serial rapists and the like.  They drove the Dragon Blooded out of the garrison there, and have been mopping that up, but they're mostly done.

Where do we go now?  Kingdom building?  I don't see any way they will be able to hold Paragon with a paltry 2 legions of troops that were more for show than anything else.  I also don't know much about the region.  Haven't done much in the south.  They sent for Saloy Hin for help, but he has yet to respond, and a major Realm flotilla is only a week or two away.

How can I leave some surreptitious chance for them to succeed without a plot killer like the Eye of Autocthon?

I'm sure the Guild, or perhaps Gem wouldn't mind helping the PCs "stabalize" the region...and their agents and people aren't too far off. With a decent sized mercenary force in tow.  

That or perhaps the Lintha wouldn't mind having some of their blood show up to render some assistance, in the interests of keeping fair trade...

And dont forget, they could Delegate authority.  The PCs dont have to RUN Paragon, they could elect officials to do that for them.  Also setting up treaties with local townships or local spirits could help protect things as they their upstarting kingdom builds, while they are off doing great things for Creation.

Or, teach them the foolishness of their actions to go about doing their Solar thing so openly, and let a really powerful Wyld Hunt + the Legions show up a bit early through some sail charms and mighty DB's, and kick their asses?

Should teach them to kill important characters and start ruling things without a good plan and a way to go from there. Start describing how they can't keep up with the rulership, how too many conflicts arise from their presence and how they will either need to devote fully to the people of Paragon or get the hell outta there while putting some agents out in the city.

I am very much in disfavor of just "saving them" with some plot device that shows up just so they can be saved. I don't see why the Guild wants a completely destabilized region, and the Lintha dont have any troubles as it is keeping their trade free..

Make it go as you planned, and make them see that even with 100+ exp, they still need to be responsible.

Added: Also, if they try to devote to the people of Paragon, show them how hard it is to rule as a "good guy", making them decide on really hard things, where there is no "good" side but only bad sides, and have agents approach them with warnings how people are grasping for power beyond their physical prowess, and make them make rash decisions that spiral into bad and nasty consequences, making them see why some people would hate them and dislike what they stand for.

Responsibility!

They could try to train the troops they have, or do none of them have the Charms to do that?  In that case, WTF are they doing there?  

What were taxes like before they took over, are they still the same?  Were is the tax money going and to whom?  What about treaties that the old ruler had in place, or alliances that other leading families might have and their goals?  

Politics is nasty, just let them get into an argument over if they should raise taxes to fund public works, or lower taxes to elevate the burden of the common person.  Do they outlaw the Immaculate faith, or tolerate it and the spys it will harbor.  Do they impose order and discipline, or allow liberty and free will?

Sounds like they have had it too easy.  That is why I prefere to be the power behind the thrown, making the general goals and leaving it to others to get things there while I go out and get more XP.

Zaramis said:
Or, teach them the foolishness of their actions to go about doing their Solar thing so openly, and let a really powerful Wyld Hunt + the Legions show up a bit early through some sail charms and mighty DB's, and kick their asses?
Should teach them to kill important characters and start ruling things without a good plan and a way to go from there. Start describing how they can't keep up with the rulership, how too many conflicts arise from their presence and how they will either need to devote fully to the people of Paragon or get the hell outta there while putting some agents out in the city.

I am very much in disfavor of just "saving them" with some plot device that shows up just so they can be saved. I don't see why the Guild wants a completely destabilized region, and the Lintha dont have any troubles as it is keeping their trade free..

Make it go as you planned, and make them see that even with 100+ exp, they still need to be responsible.

Added: Also, if they try to devote to the people of Paragon, show them how hard it is to rule as a "good guy", making them decide on really hard things, where there is no "good" side but only bad sides, and have agents approach them with warnings how people are grasping for power beyond their physical prowess, and make them make rash decisions that spiral into bad and nasty consequences, making them see why some people would hate them and dislike what they stand for.

Responsibility!
With great cheese comes great responsibility?

And besides, sly and crafty he may be, the Perfect's a whiny puss. I never cared for his character. I don't think I've ever used him really. But I'll agree with Zaramis here, hit 'em with a Hunt and hit 'em hard. Seriously. The Paragonese count as one of the Realm's major resource bases and allies in the South. So of course they'd send SOME kind of rapid deployment team to take down the Solars.

I'm thinking the Realm may even break out Ashigaru for this one as well. Spec Ops Wyld Hunt. Two Terrestrials in Dragon Armor. Five more in typical equipment plus three scales of Ashigaru. Supply weapons as needed (shock pikes, fire lances and essence cannons) and show 'em what it means to fuck with the Imperial allies.

Also, think about how the people of Paragon will react. They've been severely repressed by a despot for generations. Now they're free from magical servitude.

Will there be riots? Looting? Mass migrations out of the city? People exacting revenge against those who spied on them for the Perfect?

I doubt everyone will just go, "Hey, the Perfect just got killed by Anathema. Let's sit here and be complacent."

-S

There's no Wyld Hunt coming.  That would send the wrong message.  Ragara is sending two legions and Cathak is sending two legions and they will most likely try to contact the Roseblack in the Southwest to see if they can muster the Vermilion legion in time.

Before that, though, they dispached a Master of the Hunt who was just near the end of his life with a Soul Breaker Orb, and these morons just LET it into the throne room.  He asks if they will submit to the rightful rulers of creation at which point, the Solars laugh at him.  Now I'm in the Army, and I know ALL about the ire of high ranking people getting laughed at.  He kicks open the chest, arms the orb (I rolled max time of 2 minutes; lucky them) and a really nasty fight broke out.

I decided he was a Master of the Five and then some.  He holds his own against these Solars for about 90 seconds after which the one in Celestial Battle Armor flies it out to sea using his flight and his ability to compress space.  He is unable to get out in time, and takes the 25A damage which generates a paltry 9 successes, so he gets a little wet before he flies home and passes out on the beach.

He wakes up amid several hundred thousand dead fish (just dropped SBO into the Southern Inland Sea.  

That sounds sort of amusing until the Old Man of the Sea pays him a visit and he is PISSED.  They meet later in Yu-Shan while the Twilight and his wife, the Goddess of Challenges are going to petition a new City Father from the bureau of Humanity.  I decided the Perfect had killed him much earlier on.

A titanic social fight ensues in which the Old Man insists that since a huge part of his domain was destroyed, he wants to claim Paragon for himself and expand the Southern Inland Sea into that area as restitution.  They fight him back and forth on it until finally the Twilight tells him that they'll build him a shrine beside every watchtower along the coastal road (big first age road system with watchtowers every few miles in sight of eachother).  He admits that a few hundred shrines would probably do his image pretty well and decides to quit while he's ahead.

So they petition that the dead captain of the city guard, a Water Elemental-blooded named Torgaddon should be made City Father.  The bureau of Humanity agrees, but informs them that the soul of Torgaddon is trapped in the underworld and they will have to go there and get him (actually Gri-Fel's doing as they out-bureaucracy-ed him with an AWESOME roll and pretty nasty insult intended to make him look bad after he tried to get them thrown out).

During this whole thing, the Dawn, whom they left behind because he could only get them in trouble in Yu-Shan, goes to the Jongshin province in  the SE of Paragon and investigates the disappearance of a bunch of young girls.  It seems some sort of beastman is kidnapping them.

It turns out that it's a man from a nearby village that was consumed by a sudden outbreak of the Wyld and all of the inhabitants were turned into beastmen.  Now, thirty years later, they are beginning to breed true and have re-created their village deep inside the (relatively) small forest in the province that is Paragon's only source of domestic lumber.  

This young beastman is actually a little bit retarded (intelligence 1) and was banished for the rape of one of his village girls.  In jest, before his exile, the children the beastmen told him if he raped enough girls, he could be a human again.

The dawn came upon him braying and crying over his latest victim in his tiny camp in the forest and that was where we ended the game.  I can't wait to see what happens next.

I decided he was a Master of the Five and then some.  He holds his own against these Solars for about 90 seconds after which the one in Celestial Battle Armor flies it out to sea using his flight and his ability to compress space.  He is unable to get out in time, and takes the 25A damage which generates a paltry 9 successes, so he gets a little wet before he flies home and passes out on the beach.
*blink* Compress...space? Wtf, is that pray tell? And WRONG message? O.o How the hell is the Wyld Hunt a 'wrong' message? I doubt the Realm wants to sip tea with your PCs.

I remind you that I made a Martial Arts style which compresses time, and you seem not to have a problem with it. Why not an artifact that can compress space? I think it's basically teleportation described in an overly sci-fi way that he's referring to. That's basically the same as several magical abilities.

And I was serious about the Dragon Kings. There are ancient ruins all over the place. A few Ancients roused from hibernation would make powerful allies for a circle of Solars, while not being too powerful. Of course, in return they'd have to help rebuild DK civilisation...

you should read the sample powers given for Celestial Battle Armor.  For ten motes, I think, you can compress space to move 10 times your movement for an action.  If you are already moving 100 miles an hour with the basic flight ability attached to the suit (not combat flight, more like A to B flight) you can move 1000 miles per hour for an action.

You could really fuck someone up by running into them with that, eh?

You could really fuck someone up by running into them with that' date=' eh?[/quote']
This assumes you don't mind horrible flaming death.

I know there aren't flammables involved. It would still be flaming. Fire is mandatory.

I've read the powers and I don't remember that one. Anyway, yes, physics demand fire. Lots of it. Like a nuke dammit.

have lookshy offer help

for I think they'll be CELEBRATING the death of the perfect.

Important question.

If you answered this before Im sorry... but did the mark VAPE the moment the perfect died?

Lookshy wouldn't offer anything other than friendly tidings IF the city was truly free and stable. No way they'd offer anything other than a fang of advisors if that.

Yes, the mark disappeared and no one had ANY idea what to do.

Fortunately, my party and I, all being highly trained soldiers recently returned and about to depart for the sandbox, were all pretty clear on what needed to be done for a people who had no idea what freedom was like.

It brought tears to my eyes that it just isn't that easy in real life.  (waxes philosophical) maybe if everyone were under the yoke of a true despot at some point in their lives, the world would be a lot more decisive when one popped up for real.

can I ask a question concerning my own game, I made a thread for it but it got no answers?

Im trying to design a newly reconstructed rathess for my game... and its a little tricky you know

any ideas for what it should look like?

My idea is a solar circle after clearing out a lot of it, and training some of the dragon kings, set themselves up as "regents" "until such a point in time, as the native population of Rathess is ready to govern itself"

maybe if everyone were under the yoke of a true despot at some point in their lives' date=' the world would be a lot more decisive when one popped up for real.[/quote']
Unfortunately, the God Emporer Leto II won't be putting us on the Golden Path until several millenia from now.

Screw the nancy god emperor Leto II.  Leto II does the Emperor of Terra's laundry and cleans his bathroom before retiring to the carriage house for the night.

alohahaha said:
maybe if everyone were under the yoke of a true despot at some point in their lives' date=' the world would be a lot more decisive when one popped up for real.[/quote']
Unfortunately, the God Emporer Leto II won't be putting us on the Golden Path until several millenia from now.
Is he one of those daft Scientology things? Man, I dunno do I love or hate those people. It is some funny but scary shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back