• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Paths ::

Wackadoodle0987

Arch-Magnate of the Beau Monde Patriciate
There are no paths in the ocean.

Yes this is so,
And so is this;

That many know their courses.

True, that’s mostly fish.

We surface dwellers set by two

dimensions,
Map out our thoughts,
Write down intentions,

Live to pretensions,

Grasp for inventions,

And when the oceans in between we face
Where sea meets rock particular a case;

To fear, but even waves, endless as they rear
Above our heads engulf all planned directions.

But if we dare roll right down our sails,
Give in, turn sideways to the gales;

If vessel good ‘twill not o’erturn.

Just travel up and down and not along,
Or not across,
And before long wind and waves will pass.

Strangely, we may then find

A different course;

Which might be to “be still”.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way you seem to play with and revel in the language itself! With the rhyme and rhythm, with the repetition and rearrangement... have you considered working with form?

I like the way you seem to play with and revel in the language itself! With the rhyme and rhythm, with the repetition and rearrangement... have you considered working with form?

I do, at times; but I infinitely prefer inconsistencies when it comes to poetry. The occasional line that doesn't rhyme, is a few syllables too long, or simply does something one feels it shouldn't.

Well form lends those additional weight. Shakespeare used to add extra syllables when he wanted to be asynchrous, and he inverted his meter to trochaic meter in the witches' "double double toil and trouble" thingy, and he would use meter to naturally emphasize syllables that wouldn't be emphasized in normal speech in order to tell the audience they were important.

There can be no irregularity without regularity~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back