Roleplay Type(s)
IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

Paradise Island

(Narrated by the Grim Reaper himself)

Prologue

Jack stood still at the site of the investigation. Who would do this?

A waterside town that was supposed to be a getaway for its residents, a safe haven. A future. The town, named “Paradise Island”, was heavily militarised, to keep away any pirates. No, not the pirates who raided those old ships. This was 2025. However, as a militarised zone, Paradise Island needed military employees. So, they recruited almost everybody who wen to training, as they would become eligible at the age of 18.

Now, I must go back to the story.

While Jack was standing at the site, he received a call over his radio. Jack was a military corporal for Paradise Island. Over his radio, he heard the words, “We found him, we found him! We have cornered him in an empty warehouse!” Jack hopped into his Humvee and headed over to the scene. Paradise Island was no massive city, but instead maybe the size of the area of Manhattan. Driving to the location, he saw his officers pointing their guns at the man. Suddenly, an explosion rattled the warehouse next door. Jack immediately ordered his units over there, leaving him to face the criminal on his own.

•••

Hours later, with the criminal captured, Jack searched his house with his friend, Nick Holland. While searching the house, they found three children, 2 babies, a girl of one a year and a boy of two, and then a toddler, a boy, who was three. “What are they doing here?” Asked Nick, a veteran as well. “How would I know?” Jack responded, a little harshly. “Well, what do we do with them?” Nick asked. “Hmm…”, and after a moments thought, Jack responded with, “I’ll take them in as my children.” He said, glancing at the children then back at Nick. “You… what?” Asked Nick, his third question in two minutes. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll do that.” Said Jack, rubbing his forehead. They grabbed the children, and took them out of the house.

Part 1, Chapter 1

9 years later…

Jack sat at his dining table, waiting for his 12 year old son to dress himself. “Leon, where are you?” He shouted through the house. He then heard a groan as the other boy, now 11, walked down. “Daaad.” He moaned, looking at Jack. “It’s only 3:30. Not time for training yet.” Jack looked up from the newspaper he was reading, and remarked, “Not for you, Jason, but Max is older than you. He must get to training at 3:45, which, is in 15 minutes.” Jack then saw Leon rushing down the stairs. “What took you so long?” Jack asked his son. “I couldn’t find my uniform.” Leon responded, trying to look innocent. “Then we better get going.” Jack said, standing of from his chair. “Jason, remember to let Laura in when she knocks on the door.” Jack said, not even glancing back at Jason as he hurried out with Leon. Jack was an only man. He never had a wife or husband, and was happy like that. He did, however, have a brother, two years younger than him. His name was Mathew.

Diving in silence along the main road, Jack decided to call his brother. The ringed for a few seconds, then went to voicemail. “What the hell could he be doing?” He said to no one in particular. “He’s not on guard duty right now.” Leon sat silently in the back. Jack looked back at him, and said, “You studied right? How to hold the gun, and tuck and roll. Right?” Jack eyed his son, but quickly had to look back to the road to make sure not to die an early death. “Well,” Leon remarked, “I did. But what was the name of that one pistol? Block 18?” Jack shook his head. “No, son, it’s a Glock 18. Understand?” “Yeah.” Said Leon, looking out the window.

As they were driving along the shoreline after a right turn onto Beach Avenue, he admired the armaments and watchtowers along the outsides of the old oil rig. Past that, you could see downtown. Behind them was more armaments and the corporate part of the city. Where they were right now, the residential block. Most houses rested on the beach, the farthest away a walk there anyways. Jack turned left onto a sandy parking lot, where the arms training was. He dropped off Leon, and headed to the elevator up to the armaments on the oil rig, aka, the “Defender”. Jack watched naval combat ships leave and enter the docks, after a long mornings work at sea. The Sonoran-22 sensors kept a close eye on any invaders entering the area, but ships still patrolled. Like I mentioned in the before, Paradise Island was very military heavy. He stepped onto the elevator, and rode up.

IMG_1278.jpeg

Part 1, Chapter 2

Location: Mid floors of the Defender, 5:30 p.m, EST, Conference room.

Jack stood waiting inside the empty meeting room. Why does everybody take so long to get here? He thought, staring at his phone. No cancellations yet. It was a sunny day outside, 77°, perfect weather. Soon, the first people walked in. Mostly Kernels, Admirals, and the Administration Department. Jacks brother also came in. He was the admiral of fleet 3. They waited for the Head, the leader of the Council. He was a tall man, not the founder, but the son of the founder, Dexter Lozano-Perez.

A few minutes later, Jack heard the door knob click, then the door opened. There t stood the Head. He stood at a massive 6,6”, the tallest in the room. Possibly in the city. He plopped down on his chair at the top of the table, looking around at the others. “What?” Dexter said. “Shall we start?” Everybody then pulled out their laptops and notes from previous meetings and conferences. “Alrighty, let’s start with Commander Johnson.” Dexter said, looking at the Commander of Military Operations. As part of the Administrators, he had high clearance, and was chosen personally by Dexter.

“Well, we have had no recent reports of terrorism, nor crime. Ocean is clear, as far as the scanners indicate. No unusual weather, and we are prepared for any attack.” Johnson said, closing his notes. “Well, let’s move on. This is a military meeting. I expect others, like Internal Affairs, and Intelligence, to pay attention. Take notes.” Dexter scanned the room, then continued his statement once he was satisfied. “Let’s move on to you, Admiral Matthew.” He gestured his hand to Jack younger brother. “Thank you, Dex.” Matthew said casually, and began. “As the Commander said, the sensors are clear, however, some have reported low battery. It’s a little bit early to change them, but we should. We don’t want any loss of power.” He said, glancing at the Financial Officer, Daniel Benedickt, who had frequently denied his requests for safety, due to financial reasons. “You may continue.” Dexter said, looking up from his laptop. “Thanks. We will also need new cruisers, most of ours are much older, 2022 models. New technology is being released, and if we don’t act soon, our town will fall to superior factions. We have no government support, as we are independent. We MUST increase funding. I know we have it.” He finished, smashing his palm down on the table.

“May I interject?” Said Daniel, in heavily accented English. “We do not have enough funds to increase ze fleet. Maintenance prices are rising, and the new ships are very expensive.” He finished of. “Well Ithink our PEOPLES LIVES are of more value than a few MILLION DOLLARS!” He shouted, standing up from his chair. Jack sat patiently, awaiting the response of Dexter and Commander Johnson. But Matthew continued anyways. “Let me ask you a question, Daniel. Would you rather have a million dollars tomorrow, and die, or wake up tomorrow like normal?” This made everybody in the room fall silent, and they all turned to look at Matthew. This completely left Daniel in silence. He came to his senses, and stuttered the words, “Wake -wake up tomorrow.” He said, and looked down at the wooden table. The meeting room was full of windows, and the sun was shining in. “I think that settles it.” Said Dexter, out of nowhere. “We shall get more naval equipment. And you will find the funds to do so, Daniel.”

•••

Jack walked out of the meeting room, side by side with his brother. They were the last to enter the elevator, since they wanted privacy. Once they entered, Matthew broke the awkward silence. “Well, that was a success, don’t ya think?” Asked Matthew, with a smile. “Yeah… yes, it was. I’m surprised you had the guts to do that.” He said, glancing at the Admiral. “But it worked. It’s what we needed. Thanks.” He said, now smiling.

And boy, would they need it.

•••

Getting in his car, with his brother, since they had nothing better to do, they drove up the shoreline on the Avenue, up to training. Jack parked the black F150, and stepped out of the car, along with his brother. As it turned out, for this session of outdoor training, Jack’s old friend, Nick Holland, was in charge. Upon seeing each other, Jack smiled, and said, “Nick, what a pleasant surprise!” He laughed. It was good seeing him again. He was transferred from the Military to the MHD, (Military Hiring Department) to train youngsters. “Hey, Jack, Matthew!” He said, and ran over to shake hands. Jack was able to spot Leon talking to another boy, sitting with the class. “The kids are finishing up.” Nick said, turning around to look at them. “Leon’s a good student you know. Talented. Just needs that little bit of studying.” Nick said, telling Jack. “Good to hear, Nick. I’m gonna be watching until class finishes, alright?” Jack said, and gestured for Matthew to follow him onto the sandy beach.

Jack watched as they continued the session, some of the most skilled trainees in the city. This class, the top set, was where the Admirals, Commanders, and other high ranking officials were trained. In a matter of fact, way back when, Jack was in this class, with Matthew, and Nick. Obviously, they all passed with flying colours, Jack, as a squad leader, Matthew as an Admiral, and Nick as a Captain. Now, Nick was an MHD Instructor, which must be acquired by earning the rank of Captain and 5 years of military or naval service. Jack looked and studied the class, through their exercises, trying to pinpoint the top student. From his observations, the kid Leon was talking to was the highest. Well, he’s replacing me, when I retire. Jack thought, since he was in the same position. He looked back at Leon, who probably sat at about 3rd or 4th. Not bad.

•••

Apparently, Leon hadn’t even noticed the his uncle was watching, because when they finished, he seemed surprised that Matthew was there. “Uncle!” He exclaimed, and gave him a hug. “Hello, Leon!” Chuckled Matthew. “Let’s get in the car.” He said, and hopped in.

Once they got home, Laura and Jason were already in the shower. Matthew left, through taxi, so that left Jack with his kids. Immediately after Matthew was out of view, Leon said, “Can I go over to Freddie’s house?” He said, happily. “Why exactly, Leon?” Asked Jack, skeptically. “Oh come on, it only a few houses down.” Leon said, basically begging Jack. “Who even is he?” Asked Jack. “The top kid in the class! I thought you knew.” Leon said, being smart. “Fine, go ahead.” Jack said. “You have an hour and a half before you have to get back.” Jack said, looking down at his watch. “Thanks!” Leon said, and rushed out of the door.

Jack sat down on the sofa, and turned on the news. It had been a long day.

OOC: Disclaimer: While writing, I figured out that “Paradise Island” is an island in the Bahamas. For information, this writing piece and its chapters are NOT set in the Bahamas, but in a fictional city off the coast of Florida.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back