• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Overwatch- A New Age(Rp)

Jonah was more than impressed, having built all of his devices from either home or in a lab. Understanding the basic principles behind a gun, he could only imagine how one would go about building one out of scrap metal. "That's pretty impressive" he replied, and responded to Sampson's next question with a simple "no". "I mean, I've been on a battle simulator once" Jonah added, trying to be funny "but that's not exactly what you'd call 'fighting experience', now is it?"

He sighed, then continued "I'd rather be helping heal people, but..." he thought about it for a moment, then shook his head. "You know what? I think that's better left unsaid. Just know my attempts have been less than successful", Jonah directed the discussion away from that mishap. The shame was still a bit too fresh to be openly sharing. "Have you been fighting long?"

Last edited:
Sampson rubbed his hands together. "I've been doing mercenary jobs since I came to earth. So that's a lot of fighting. Can't say I ever got a battle simulater, but I've fought against, and for almost any organization you can name" he said.

"Well" Jonah started "that's quite a bit of fighting". Memories of watching the former Overwatch members on pre-recorded field missions flooded his mind. He remembered watching quite a few of Winston, Tracer, Mei, and Orisa's battles along with his fellow trainees, and his fascination with the thought and complexity of even the simplest tasks. Often, he'd be overwhelmed trying to keep track of the number of visible variables in each tape. He thought he'd never be able to reach that level. It prompted him to ask a more serious question, "how do you stay so level-headed. I mean, I've watched Winston and Tracer fight, and they almost always seem to know exactly what to do. It's kind of overwhelming having to take up that same position so soon". Jonah hadn't seen the Overwatch members in person much, so he wasn't especially emotionally attached to them when they disappeared, but he certainly felt a great loss seeing the organization that gave him a chance fall apart. It was fairly intimidating to know they were being flung into that same position.

Sampson shrugged. "It gets easier especially when the people you're fighting underestimate you because they think they're fighting a dumb ape. It's hilarious when I roll in on a mech. They're so scared, it's probably what being Godzilla feels like" he laughed a little bit.

As Masquerade continued watching the video game, he started putting two-and-two together. The aim was to walk around with your virtual character, destroying and blowing up Bastion units to gain points, all the while avoiding enemy fire. Apparently, the bigger this 'point' score was, the better? Utterly ridiculous, there was absolutely no point to this game. Fun for fun's sake. "I've always found things like this a complete waste of time." Masquerade told Orion. "But it seems like a waste of time is what is needed right now." Masquerade did find one thing quite strange though. "But of all video games that exist in the world, why this? The aim of this game is to walk around and kill Bastion units. And this game is depicting them as fundamentally 'evil.' So basically propaganda that further fuels humanity's hate and misconceptions of omnics." Honestly, Masquerade would much prefer a gambling as a waste of time, though he doubted many people here would be enthusiastic about the idea. "Don't get me wrong however, I enjoyed putting explosives into Omnics as much as putting acid into people."

"You're a lovely man," Blue said from where he sat next to Kimiko. He wanted to ask if there was anything the guy didn't like killing, but he didn't think it'd be smart to dig that shit up again.
The young man glanced down at his still bloodstained boots and jeans. He really needed a change of clothes. And a shower. And a bed. He felt like he needed to lie down and sleep for the next few decades.
He ran a hand groggily over his forehead. He could push through this. A hot cup of coffee and maybe a kick up the ass and he'd be ready to go.

"Your compliment is much appreciated." Masquerade answered sarcastically. "And you, child, clearly have a promising future ahead of you." He 'complimented' back. "Given you somehow avoid getting hit by a vehicle, shot again, murdered, or die fighting for whatever this organisation is." Masquerade had his doubts when receiving the message, which was supposedly from Overwatch, but here he was, watching an Omnic play video games. "Seeing as nobody else here will, I may as well throw out the fact that this may be a trap, to eliminate potential enemies of the world's leaders." He told everybody. Pulling back his sleeve and revealing his robotic arm, Masquerade opened a compartment in his arm and pulled out a relatively large bullet that looked like a drill. It was clearly meant to be fit in some sort of customized firearm. "So, does anyone want to play hot-potato, but instead of a potato, it's an armed explosive round that sends tiny laser discs flying everywhere that digs into people and explode?" He joked. Waiting here clearly got Masquerade bored, and he was probably itching to shoot something at this point. "Or does somebody have dummy bullets or energy weaponry that can be set to fire harmless projectiles? I am beginning to die of boredom."

Last edited:
"If you fun consists of killing, well I'm afraid you will conflict with a lost of us here rozpruwacz(ripper)." Her accent coming in heavy on that word, almost in spite. "Your sick jokes are far from funny." She added.

Last edited:
Lucia glanced down at her leg, watching as it glowed. It was also just plain cool, especially if it would let her walk faster. She hated being immobile. Although it was weird, that her nanobots hadn't been able to heal the damaged skin and muscle- usually, they could fix a wound like that in seconds. They'd probably just expended all their energy preventing the poison, though. It was a thing to remember, for next time- but with another healer, they should be alright.

Well . . . if they could survive each other, that was. Already, Masquerade was getting bored and suggesting bodily harm and this was what she'd been afraid of. They were just playing a video game a few moments ago, and while yes it was a strange choice of game at least it was harmless. Unfortunately, Lucia got the boredom, if not the bodily harm. They were stuck in this room with a TV, some other stuff- there was a deck of Uno- and not much else. Maybe Samson had been right back then, and they did have to find their own way out. Maybe that was the test. The man on the screen had said to wait for some medallions, but they couldn't wait forever, could they?

Either way, she was vaguely sure that Masquerade was wrong about the intentions of this meeting, namely because there was no way he could be actually right about anything involving intentions when he only barely knew what human decency was.

"It's not a trap," she said from her corner. "Otherwise, I wouldn't be here- I'm just a girl from Puerto Rico."

Orion couldn't help but feel warmth in his circuits. "I play this game because I hate my kind as much as I miss them. I wish they had made better choices than they did. Allthough I could see where they were coming from. However that doesn't mean that they were doing the right thing. Quite the opposite in fact." Orion looked at masquerade and asked, "what do you do in your spare time?"

"With nanobots. Can't forget that part." Ashyln said to Luica, looking at the deck of Uno cards. She sits at the table, chair creaking under the weight of her armor, but holding firm. She takes out the deck and shuffles if, proving to be adept at it. "Anybody want to play?" She asked, lifting up the deck and sending the cards from one hand to the other.

Sampson cracked his knuckles. "Ah, cards that's something I can get behind. I'm in" he said. A couple of smokes, and beers, and this would be a normal party for the mercenary.

Blue raised his human hand. "Yeah I wouldn't mind playing. I'm shite at poker though." He turned to Kimiko. "You'd be great though. You've got the poker face for it."

What does Masquerade do in his spare time? "Well, I gamble." Masquerade answered the omnic. "Plus I could use the extra money since I don't really have anyone to hand me a paycheck once a week anymore." He turned around to Ashlyn and her proposal to play poker. “Now poker is something I can thoroughly enjoy.” He responded. “Though I have never played the game without cheating.”

Walking up to the table, Masquerade picked up the deck of cards and shuffled them thoroughly. “I’ll deal the cards. I promise I don’t have favorites.” He offered. And for once, Masquerade hadn’t said something about shooting or maiming a person. Pulling a packet of very expensive cigarettes from his suit, Masquerade pulled one out and put it through the grotesque grin of his mask. “Well, what are you all waiting for? Take a seat, and does anybody have a lighter?”

(I won’t be able to post this afternoon and the whole of tomorrow. If I can’t make another follow up post after this, just assume Masquerade is just standing there having a smoke and dealing cards)

Jonah laughed at the thought, Sampson in a large metal suit chasing very scared and very confused mercenaries with a huge grin on his face. It was enough to lighten the mood for Jonah, at the very least. He was about to add his own thoughts on the humor of the scenario when Ashlyn invited them over to one of the tables to play cards. There was a case of Uno and two decks of poker cards. Masquerade, of course, went right for one of the poker decks and began shuffling it, offering to be the dealer. At least it stopped his threats to shoot something. Jonah suddenly found himself in need of some form of distraction as well. If they were going to wait, they may as well make the most of it and entertain themselves. Making his way over, he pulled over a chair and sat himself down near Blue, hearing his confession to being bad at poker. Jonah considered himself decent, but he made sure he was next to someone possibly worse than him, just in case. There were only two things Jonah hated about poker: losing and being put on the spot.

Kimiko eyed the cards with curiosity.
“What do they do?” She asked Blue, innocently. “And what’s wrong with my face?”
She looked so confused that it was actually quite amusing. She picked up a few cards and shuffled them through her hands- surprisingly very well, but not realising how well, because she had no idea what she was doing. She played around with the cards a little, shuffling, spinning them on her fingers. She had never seen anything like them before.
“Can someone teach me the game? I want to play.” Her eyes lit up. So this was excitement. She liked it.

"Nothing's wrong with your face, flower, it's a very pretty face," Blue said, "It just means you hide your feelings well. I think so anyway."
But describing how one plays poker... God even Blue couldn't remember the rules of poker. The only card game he was good at was "Snap."
He was glad that they were all moving past the shooting and him passing out on the ground. That had been... Was embarrassing a good word for it? The anxiety attacks weren't something he could control but an Overwatch agent shouldn't be passing out at the first sound of gunfire. Maybe the rest of them thought like Masquerade did, that Blue didn't belong here.
He shook his head slightly. It shouldn't matter what they think, he was here because it was the right thing to do. He didn't need anyone's approval.
"I kinda wish we had some beers now," he said, "Do you still want to buy me a drink, Jonah?" He asked the man next to him, remembering their conversation from earlier.

"I'll watch," Lucia said, pulling herself up to the table and marveling at how much the pain had receded already. That bot of Kimiko's was ingenious- she'd have to ask about it later. She grabbed the legs of a chair and, with a deep breath, tugged herself up into a chair, resting her weight on the unhurt leg. It stung- of course it did, she probably shouldn't be moving- but it was better, at least.

"I . . . don't actually know how to play poker. Where did you guys learn?"

Sampson sat down, and put down a piece of junk to be a sort of table. "Well I learned from a guy in Hanamura. Though I've never been much of an explainer myself" said the chimp.

"I used to play with fellow cadets" Jonah replied, "we used to play almost daily. We never used money, though. We used almost all of that on our own projects". He shuffled excitedly in his seat, vividly remembering times when he'd help recruits build laser cannons and energy fields. Messing around at the quantum level had been his favorite pass-time. Unfortunately, his practice in the art of chance that was quantum mechanics didn't necessarily translate into skill in poker.

Sampson laughed a little bit. "I've never played not for money. Usually it starts with everybody putting a gun on the table, to shoot if someone tries to cheat. But we're all friends here" he said. Grinning showing that it was a joke. Although it was a true joke. He'd never played cards before without some poor fucker getting shot for cheating.

Masquerade placed his cigarettes in the center of the table. “Help yourselves.” He told everybody as he handed each person two cards. “Poker is quite simple, cheating in gambling games is literally what I do for a living now.” He added, before explaining the game to everybody. Turning to Kimiko who had no idea how to play poker, he said: “and the person with the lowest hand removed one piece of clothing. You drop out of the game once you’re completely naked.” He joked. “No, I’m actually joking about that last part, I don’t play strip poker.” Lighting his cigarette with... his gun? He signaled to everybody to start playing. “Anybody caught cheating can have a bullet put in their knee, as only I’m allowed to cheat.” He threatened jokingly, placing his extremely dangerous pistol on the table as well. “Anyone can shoot anyone else when caught in cheating, it’s set to semi automatic, and a bullet to the limbs is highly unlikely to be lethal.” Of course, Masquerade was joking, but again, only he found people crying for mercy funny. “I am dying of boredom, I only hope for these medallions to arrive soon. The last time I shot a terrorist was eight days ago...”

(Learn How To Play Poker - Go from Beginner to Expert at partypoker)

Last edited:
((I'm also gonna be kind of absent for the next week or so- if I can't post, just assume Lucia is watching and trying to understand poker because holy quiznak it's complex))

Orion clanked up to the table and asked, "Can I join in? I have never played before but I am sure that I can catch on quite quickly given my fast learning hardware."

(IRL I have NEVER played poker EVER...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back