Original Character and Canon Character Interaction

Primrose

A very smol child.
I was just curious to see what other people think about having an OC interact with a Canon character. To what extent do you allow it? Or do you completely agree with it?

Before I've had a really, and I mean really bad RP partner whom I met on tumblr. I mean at the time, I was cool with most of the stuff we did in our RPs (but for the sake of this thread I won't go into details about everything). As we continued on roleplaying though, their OCs started to (well, she more forced her way into interacting with canon characters), so much so that their OC became overly obsessive and infatuated with the canon character (And, again, forced their way into being in a relationship with the other.). At the time I was sort of new to roleplaying online. Before I only role-played with close real life friends, so I wasn't sure want to do. My partner kept on doing this regardless, for about 2 years, until I finally realised I didn't like what they were doing and we cut off talking to each other.

I think because of this experience I am very reluctant to role-play with people who do OC and Canon interaction, because I am scared of the way they might role-play. Most of the time I do create OCs based off fandoms and such, but I never role-play those characters with canon, especially with the experience I had with my previous partner. I think this has also affected why I am also scared to play most canon characters in fear that my partner will try and force their way to having their OC in a loving, poorly thought out relationship with them.

I mean don't get me wrong, I wish I could do an interesting RP in which an OC and a canon character are interacting, but not in a romantic way (Or not even platonic!), but I am really scared in falling into an RP with someone who will force their way into getting their OC some " OH MAI GOSH so kawaii!!!1! xD " relationship with a Canon character.

I forgot what else I had to say, oh well. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Oh man, this is sticky. At least for me.

Elaboration:

I, like yourself, have never been comfortable including canon characters in an established fandom simply because I never felt like I could do them justice. Except for references, I don't normally thread with them(except for Geralt and Ciri...I make exceptions xD )

I suppose it all boils down to the experience you want. If you're looking to blaze your own trail in an expansive universe, then just leave the canons out altogether. This is YOUR story, after all. If, however, you find that you and your partner are doing really well with your OC's AND adding canon characters would aid in enhancing your story, then go for it!

I'm currently threading with a partner in the Dragon Age fandom and it's been awesome. We have original characters, but we also throw in canon characters and the thread has gone extremely well.

Hope that helped :)

Well this is right in my wheelhouse as I do predominately either fandom roleplays. And to stop any misunderstandings I simply state off the bat - I don't do OC/Canon romance. It's in my thread and if people ask about it I just say no. You'll rarely get people who just out of the blue decide to sexually harass your character without at least saying before hand - yo I want Sue to be in a relationship with Canon.

So if that's not your thing just tell people and you should be fine. If they don't respect your wishes than you can always stop talking to them or block them if they get nasty about it.

But really like I said fandoms are 90 % of what I do and most people are pretty chill about working with their partners wishes.

As for the practical guide I don't really treat it like there is any difference between canon X OC interactions and the interactions between two other random characters.

So again it can be you make a OC to join an established storyline with a canon person or group. Or put canons in original storylines with original characters.

But it is best to just make a plot and add your characters as necessary. Don't worry about if they're canon or originals worry about they make since to the story and your having fun plAying them

Me personally I'll usually just add OCs to a storyline where they interact with canons to fill whatever the mission or plot is. Whether this is some kind of superhero roleplay where they're saving the world, a prequel / alternate storyline from the canon storyline with the addition of an original canon, or even the so and so is related to canon trope.

Just depends on what I'm interested in. But it's all about making your characters interact according to the plot.

And being clear where your limits are

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back