• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Tutorial Organizing My Exercise

Kobe Nathan Wade

One Thousand Club
If you're reading this the idea of structured exercise for the sake of health and an ideal lifestyle probably appeals to you. Maybe it's something you've only thought of once in passing. Nevertheless the title interested you. If so, allow me to explain exactly what you're about to read. This is going to be an effort to better streamline my personal physical progress by compiling what I consider to be effective movements and routines specifically for the sake of my goals. These would be; to improve my Jiu Jitsu performance, compound lift maxes, calisthenics max reps, and especially my core strength overall. You're more than welcome to try what I'm doing, just browse and forget about it later, or even talk to me about via PM's, but I would prefer not to engage on this thread directly for the sake of keeping it looking crisp.

The strangeness of the placement of this particular subject matter onto this particular forum as opposed to a fitness-related forum is because this is not a routine written by someone who has a degree in sports medicine, played football in high school, and works as a full time personal trainer. I happen to have a passion for martial arts, but I am still relatively a novice in strength training. This is a writing project in the name of self improvement. I am an artist, before an athlete. My goals are relatively lofty despite this, and I wanted to make something I was going to spend a lot of time perfecting and fleshing out anyways open to others like me. Regular people who might have an interest in becoming a healthier or more energetic version of themselves through strength training, but might not have much of a base to start that journey with. Strength training routines for normal people, as well as accompanying explanation as to why you might do these particular routines. Keeping in mind it will be somewhat focused towards Jiu Jitsu at times, but that too is the type of thing which is beneficial to anybody who might take it up and I would highly recommend that you do.

Even if you read my explanations below and do not do any of my specific routines, I hope I can still encourage you to be more active than you already are. You will always feel better because of it.

By the way! If you're a fellow weab and don't have time to read you can get a pretty good crash course from the anime "How Heavy Are The Weights You Lift?" or "Danberu Nan-Kiro Moteru?" while watching cute anime girls do the exercises.

It takes forty eight hours to recover from a workout fully, no if's and's or but's. It's unclear as far as I've seen what the best length to workout for before taking a rest period, but I find that five days of work and two days off often works with most people's schedules as well as not demanding too much so as to keep the subject motivated.

The best diet guidelines I have ever come across is the "my plate" method which you can google for more information. It states that the ideal meal is twenty five percent protein, twenty five percent starchy vegetable, and fifty percent green vegetables. Chicken breast, rice, and spinach being the classic bodybuilder meal. In addition, six small meals a day are generally absorbed better than three and this meal routine is best for contributing to a speedy metabolism for burning fat off.

The single best piece of strength training advice I can give to any beginner is this: Move slowly, having complete control over the weight. This will ensure the entire load is on your muscles, not your joints or bones. This will command the most work from your muscles, ensuring the best growth response, and body longevity.

The body parts I am about to list are by no means going to be a scientific listing or explanation, but hopefully a practical one for the purposes of this book. Roughly from head to toe; your Trapezius, Latissimus Dorci, Pectorals, Abdominals, Deltoids, Triceps, Biceps, Forearms, Gluteus Medius, Gluteus Maximus, Gluteus Minimus, Abductors, Adductors, Quadriceps, Hamstrings, and calves. These are all the muscle groups which are required for any human being to be familiar with to organize a good workout, perhaps with a bit of help from google, every day of their lives and be able to live at their maximum capacity. Not that you should work out every day.

Now notice, I didn't say you had to memorize these muscle groups, I said you had to be familiar with them. More specifically, be familiar with how to work them out, which is not the same thing I assure you. The terms "back of the thigh" and "chest" work just as well, if not better, to tell us how to work out. In the next few sections I will be listing the best exercises as far as I'm aware for each of these areas. You will notice several exercises repeated, this is because that exercise is likely a "Compound Movement." or an exercise which targets multiple muscle groups.

Google any of the exorcises I am about to list in later sections for visual representations.

Bench Press
Dumbbell Chest Press
Dumbbell Chest Flies
Plate Weight Chest Press
Fly Machine
Chest Press Machine
Close Grip Pushups
Wide Grip Pushups
Strict/Military Pushups

The concept of doing pushups with your knees down being referred to as "girl pushups' is a genuine crime. Other than being sexist of course, it can be crippling to those trying to improve their pushup count. The act of taking weight off after a heavier set and continuing reps of the same movement will increase your max repetitions at a higher weight on any exorcise, especially in calisthenics (body weight training).

Human arms are roughly cut into four sections. Triceps, Biceps, Deltoids and Forearms. Some people include Deltoids and the Trapezius as the shoulders, and you're welcome to treat this as a separate workout, but I include these in my other groups.

Triceps/Back of the Arm
Dumbbell Tricep Extension
Dumbbell Tricep Rope
Bench Supported Tricep Extension
Skiis w/ dumbbells
Full Body Dips
Reverse Pushups/Dips on the Floor
Over Grip Pullups
Under Grip Pullups
Australian Pullups
Close Grip Pushups
Wide Grip Pushups
Strict/Military Pushups
Pike Pushups

You may also be interested in especially upping your pullup count, in which doing pullups assisted by resistance bands can come in handy.

Biceps/Top/Front of the Arm
Dumbbell Bicep Curls *(make sure while doing this exorcise you keep your torso and elbows locked in place when bringing the weight up. My biggest pet peave is people throwing around weight that's too big for them and not using proper technique. If you aren't moving the weight with your muscles alone, no momentum or speed involved, the reps don't count.)
EZ Bar Curls
Bicep Machine
Preacher Curl
Cable bicep curl

Forearm/Hand/Grip Muscles

Forearms are a special case, in which I don't think I can compile a list of exercises which are better than Chris Heria's video, in which he includes some very specific movements which don't have names. I'd advise you do these, and I also recommend you do forearms sparsely, as these movements will effect your other arm and back exercises.

Delts/Shoulders
Front Raises
Shoulder Flies
Overhead Press
Overhead Press Machine
Fly Machine
All Pullup Variations
All Pushup Variations

Core is a personal love of mine to train, and highly regarded as an essential strength if one is to compete in Jiu Jitsu or martial arts in general. As such, this section is going to be even more comprehensive than the rest. To train your core, or torso, properly you must treat it the same as the rest of your body by doing specific movements to target specific muscle groups. Most people do a one minute plank and call it a day on their abs, but this would be the same as only squatting on leg day or only benching for chest. Sure, you'll get better at a those workouts, but you're leaving gains on the table. Working the same muscle groups from multiple angles will always yield better results.

Upper Abs:
Crunches
Chair Situps
Knees to Elbows

Middle Abs
Leg Raises

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back