• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic [OOC & Lore Discussion] No Strings Attached - A Dystopian Soulmate AU

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Great question! While this technology might be possible in the New Heartland, they are a very utilitarian/resource controlled society at the end of the day. So for your character to have cosmetic enhancements to have animalistic, they would need to be more plastic surgery based. There is some form of gene augmentation, but the research is mostly from the pre-war world and that research was focused on “corrective” gene therapy to prevent any physiological conditions they could. Feline ears and tail would fall more among the cosmetic surgery side.

As for how your character would be able to have that kind of procedure done in the year 2142… hmm…

Culturally, even the elites of the New Heartland would be vindicated if they were using medical resources to get cosmetic surgeries done. Even though they can technically do whatever they want, the government is very bent on getting everyone to follow the no-nonsense and passion principles of their society. So I suppose the only real way would probably be if your character came from outside New Heartland, which would introduce a whole new host of discussion. Hope this was able to illuminate a bit!

Well, I was planning on my character being an orphan. Do you think it would be possible for her parents to have taken part in the genetic modification, and it simply passed to her? Or perhaps her parents were from outside the state, and got caught but not her?

If not, it's fine! Just trying to come up with an easy solution first, before getting into the nitty gritty of everything.

Thank you for your swift answers Skybreaker. The depth by which you answer questions in the thread shows a lot of care and thought. Really furthers that sense of investment. In terms of my character.

The thread binds all to the larger web of humanity. Creating a harmony in which everyone has a role to play in much the same way as your heart pumps blood or your kidneys filters toxins. Each Ministry its own respective organ in service towards the larger societal health of the ethereal super-organism, humanity. Each of us the fortunate cells that sinew into the fine tissues of respective organs.

This is the way that Konrad Dippel frames his thinking into effectual pragmatism. As a part of the Ministry of Health he seeks the betterment of humanity through medicinal programs that are still in their infancy or even theoretical. His own parents serving as monoliths to his ideal in his mind by their contribution decades prior to modern day practices. They were responsible for identifying certain gene sequences that were responsible for known imperfections that required medical intervention to correct otherwise. Through gene expression flipping this was resolved with the gene-sequence spelling the end of these imperfections. (IE think simple genetics dieses like sickle cell) What followed is the normalization of such practices though even decades on the field is still in its infancy. Current issues in the field exist as it reaches the bulwark of what is considered imperfection. Creating an uneasy friction as hard sciences scrapes with philosophy. What gene lines constitute creativity or strength being subject to debate. Like trying to bottle a ghost. Sitting on this precipice Konrad seeks to push the envelope as his parents had. His own mental framework aiming to radicalize how people think about imperfections. Instead of imperfections he sites that humans are baseline for differentiation into roles. By which, each person can be made to fit a role as a stem cell is molded into idealism by the body itself.

By proxy of his lofty goals, he has taken into specializing in genetics, organic chemistry, and evolutionary studies. While not a socially adept person this has served him well as the Ministry of Knowledge nearly idealizes his unhealthy devotion to progress. To this point, an irony exists in that the Ministry of Knowledge researches what it wants. To where the ideas of its youths struggle to furrow to the top for decades creating an artificial bottleneck on discovery. So, while he is not very social it can be said he is outspoken on what he believes in. To these ends it has caused him some friction with his fellow colleagues that site the importance of staying in line. Yet, due to his ideas staying well within in line of the utilitarian ideals of New Heartland it has also served to gain him some supporters.

For Konrad it has never been a matter of questioning the practices of New Heartland. Yet rather it is a question of its future. On how to press further into the present-day practices that exist to guarantee a greater tomorrow for everyone. If rebels could be said to be pushing back then it could be said that Konrad is pushing forward. A radical in his own right.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Wanted to share the completed Character Sheet thread! The format might be a bit strange, but keep in mind the RP kicks off when all of your characters get selected for the Matchmaking Retreat and their subsequent message from the cryptic ‘ARACHNE’. In the CS thread, I do mention that secrets/information is power, but if you shared some concepts or ideas about your characters here already, do not stress about it. The New Heartland government is mainly going to be the one you’re hiding that info from.

I’m also going to start on creating lore items for the following: the 5 Ministries, the 5 capital cities of the New Heartland, and any other regional powers. Anyway, here’s the CS thread link! As usual, please let me know if you have any questions or want to run some ideas by me. I’ll be working on 2 sample characters shortly as well if you’d rather wait on that.

Once you’ve completed a draft of your character sheet, post them directly into the CS thread and I’ll give you any feedback/edit suggestions here.

StrixDesmodus StrixDesmodus eimpress eimpress Cave_Town234 Cave_Town234 Resa_rose Resa_rose Caffeinated Joy Caffeinated Joy November Witch November Witch BlossomBunniess BlossomBunniess Wondertainment Wondertainment TheMadIceCreamMan TheMadIceCreamMan kakemha kakemha

And to answer some of the above questions:
Well, I was planning on my character being an orphan. Do you think it would be possible for her parents to have taken part in the genetic modification, and it simply passed to her? Or perhaps her parents were from outside the state, and got caught but not her?

If not, it's fine! Just trying to come up with an easy solution first, before getting into the nitty gritty of everything.
I think for the ears and tail, their tech wouldn’t have yet developed to the point they can assign those kinds of genes and have them be hereditary, so it would have to be a procedure she got during her lifetime. Although they do live over 100 years into the future, most of the technology that humanity focused on were means of destruction and control. I suppose that they could have tried human and animal hybridization, but at that point they would be more like mules in the best case and chimeras at the worst- sterile individual agents with limited capacity for health and mental stability. And their features might not be as easily predictable.

Some other reasons someone could have a cosmetic feline surgery would be religious/fanatical reasons, kidnapping by some villainous organization, or more. Just know that it would be a highly unusual sight, since 99% of the population would probably not even be aware that people could walk around with animalistic features.

Thank you for your swift answers Skybreaker. The depth by which you answer questions in the thread shows a lot of care and thought. Really furthers that sense of investment. In terms of my character.

The thread binds all to the larger web of humanity. Creating a harmony in which everyone has a role to play in much the same way as your heart pumps blood or your kidneys filters toxins. Each Ministry its own respective organ in service towards the larger societal health of the ethereal super-organism, humanity. Each of us the fortunate cells that sinew into the fine tissues of respective organs.

This is the way that Konrad Dippel frames his thinking into effectual pragmatism. As a part of the Ministry of Health he seeks the betterment of humanity through medicinal programs that are still in their infancy or even theoretical. His own parents serving as monoliths to his ideal in his mind by their contribution decades prior to modern day practices. They were responsible for identifying certain gene sequences that were responsible for known imperfections that required medical intervention to correct otherwise. Through gene expression flipping this was resolved with the gene-sequence spelling the end of these imperfections. (IE think simple genetics dieses like sickle cell) What followed is the normalization of such practices though even decades on the field is still in its infancy. Current issues in the field exist as it reaches the bulwark of what is considered imperfection. Creating an uneasy friction as hard sciences scrapes with philosophy. What gene lines constitute creativity or strength being subject to debate. Like trying to bottle a ghost. Sitting on this precipice Konrad seeks to push the envelope as his parents had. His own mental framework aiming to radicalize how people think about imperfections. Instead of imperfections he sites that humans are baseline for differentiation into roles. By which, each person can be made to fit a role as a stem cell is molded into idealism by the body itself.

By proxy of his lofty goals, he has taken into specializing in genetics, organic chemistry, and evolutionary studies. While not a socially adept person this has served him well as the Ministry of Knowledge nearly idealizes his unhealthy devotion to progress. To this point, an irony exists in that the Ministry of Knowledge researches what it wants. To where the ideas of its youths struggle to furrow to the top for decades creating an artificial bottleneck on discovery. So, while he is not very social it can be said he is outspoken on what he believes in. To these ends it has caused him some friction with his fellow colleagues that site the importance of staying in line. Yet, due to his ideas staying well within in line of the utilitarian ideals of New Heartland it has also served to gain him some supporters.

For Konrad it has never been a matter of questioning the practices of New Heartland. Yet rather it is a question of its future. On how to press further into the present-day practices that exist to guarantee a greater tomorrow for everyone. If rebels could be said to be pushing back then it could be said that Konrad is pushing forward. A radical in his own right.

Love that you have taken the Ministry of Knowledge and specifically the medical field and ran with it. Let’s say that the Ministry of Health/Health or Medicine division is a subset of Knowledge. There would certainly be many reasons for someone to genuinely support what the NeuroThread is about. For example, people may have less individual freedom, but the New Heartland’s cities are relatively safe and well-protected against hostile forces. The government has an iron fist, but it lets people start their own hobbies and businesses as long as it doesn’t subvert their own goals, and although they fight with independent settlements, they are usually willing to broker peace as long as people submit to the philosophy and implantation of the threads.

heyo! plopping in with an idea for a character hehe

I know ppl are planning to make rebels or smth along those lines, WHICH I LOVE HAHA. The ideas here so far are amazing.

But I was thinking of making somewhat of a rule-follower/dreamer in a sense. I wanted to make maybe an orphaned girl in New Heartland who really strives to find the true love of the threads because of the stories she heard about her parents and how they found true love. Basically, she heard about her parents' relationship before they died and it supposedly played out like a romance novel.

Could that be a possible character I could make?
Yes! While some characters may very well have inclinations of the rebellious variety, none of the characters are required to believe or subscribe to specific values. The only requirements are they are at least 19 and that they’ve completed 3 years of Service. While you would certainly have those who long to break free of the NeuroThread’s nanofiber chains, lots of people would be genuine supporters of the society and the stability that it provides them, especially given that there were entire generations who experienced total war and societal upheaval. Besides, the pitch of the New Heartland isn’t that you’re never going to find true love, it’s actually a promise that you WILL- as long as you’re a good citizen and practice self-restraint and selfishness.

All of that to say, yep, having a character joining the Retreat with the authentic intent on finding their soulmate is 100% valid and within the themes of the story.

Thanks for the clarification! In that case, I don't think I'll play her then. None of what you're saying would make sense for her as a character.

Okay, this might be a bit of a silly question. If someone stores records or works at a library would they work in the ministry of knowledge?

My next idea is for a character of higher standing. The daughter of someone near the top of one of the ministries. Would any special benefits befall someone like this? Would dyed hair and fancy dresses be allowed or looked upon as weird?

A question on my part, would being a horticulturist be a viable occupation for the state to assign someone under a worker for the Ministry of Agriculture?

Okay, this might be a bit of a silly question. If someone stores records or works at a library would they work in the ministry of knowledge?
Not a silly question at all! If their primary job was this, then yep, it could certainly fall within the Ministry of Knowledge. They maintain all kinds of archives and storehouses.

My next idea is for a character of higher standing. The daughter of someone near the top of one of the ministries. Would any special benefits befall someone like this? Would dyed hair and fancy dresses be allowed or looked upon as weird?
This could completely work! As far as special benefits, they would probably have more rations and material wealth than most folks since their family would be considered “ideal” citizens, and maybe they were exposed to more ministry work from a young age. Hair dyes and more elaborate fashions would totally be allowed especially within the cities. The dresses might be seen as impractical at Ministry work unless she works in a performance role, but I don’t think anyone would go out and stop her.

A question on my part, would being a horticulturist be a viable occupation for the state to assign someone under a worker for the Ministry of Agriculture?
Yep! Completely viable. All kinds of horticulturists, botanists, and zoologists would be particularly nurtured in the Ministry of Agriculture.

Another question if it's alright because I'm not quite sure if it's been answered yet. But I forgot to ask, what exactly constitutes a person being a "Threat"?

Does this setting have an equivalent to the secret police? How does the Justice System operate even if it somewhat a facade to actual state operations?

Another question if it's alright because I'm not quite sure if it's been answered yet. But I forgot to ask, what exactly constitutes a person being a "Threat"?
This would definitely vary, but if your character is known to associate with anyone with a criminal/deviant history or if they are suspected to be doing any activities that can’t be accounted for! Also if there’s any reason to believe your character is in contact with hostile foreign nations.

Are tattoos considered Art?
Yes, but it’s more of an extracurricular so the Ministry of Culture doesn’t regulate it too much- considered more of a private business/ hobby thing.

Does this setting have an equivalent to the secret police? How does the Justice System operate even if it somewhat a facade to actual state operations?
Shhh, it’s a secret! Kidding! They don’t have any kind of due process or have to justify, so while the citizens are aware they’re being watched at any given moment, there’s pretty much just the police force from the Ministry of Defense and the knowledge there could be undercover authorities just about anywhere.

Also, as a side note I noticed some of you have been answering the “OKAY SERIOUSLY, BREAK CHARACTER AND TELL ME WHAT’S GOING ON:” section as part of the character sheet. Totally fine if you want to include extra information for me and the other players, but I wanted to clarify that the only things that are required for the character sheet are what is outlined in the BBCode copy/paste itself. I wrote that last section just to explain the character sheet because I thought it might be confusing, but I hope I didn’t confuse everyone further by writing that! XD

Ah, I see. No worries! I don't mind giving up what information I did!

Hey everyone! Posted two characters and I have also edited the first post of this OOC thread to include some background information of the capitals and the ministries.

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know my busy and awful, stressful, yukky work week is over. I'll hopefully get more character details hammered out tomorrow.

Under the Ministry of Defense, I notice information indicating biological augmentation as a practice. Could I have further information on this?

Ok, so now I'm wondering if Francis would be a better fit for the Ministry of Agriculture. They do research too, right?

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know my busy and awful, stressful, yukky work week is over. I'll hopefully get more character details hammered out tomorrow.
Very excited! No rush at all, I want to give everyone at least a week to work on their characters before I formally start discussing where our jumping off point is. At this point, everyone’s characters are looking great! I’m hoping I’ll be able to provide some feedback/final edit suggestions soon, but I’ve been a little busy the past few days. :3

Under the Ministry of Defense, I notice information indicating biological augmentation as a practice. Could I have further information on this?
Sure thing! So while we have discussed that the New Heartland hasn’t been able to make tooo much headway in genetic alterations for mixing human and animal DNA for example, they are trying all sorts of biological augmentations to make their soldiers tougher. Some of these advancements that the public are generally aware of are: synthetic exo and endoskeletons, cybernetic corneas with targeting systems and thermal sensors, nanobot infusions in the bloodstream, muscle augmentation, engineered digestive bacteria, and enhanced senses.

Ok, so now I'm wondering if Francis would be a better fit for the Ministry of Agriculture. They do research too, right?
Thanks kakemha kakemha for providing the response as well! But yes, the ministry of Agriculture also conducts research specifically related to their affairs. They just don’t specialize in archiving it or applying it in academic settings like the Ministry of Knowledge would. Think about it like this- the other 4 ministries conduct the same kind of practical R&D that a business or organization would, while the Ministry of Knowledge conducts research more on a university/archival level.

Yay! My character is finally up!
yay! Loving what everyone has come up with so far. It’s going to be an eclectic cast.

Thanks kakemha kakemha for providing the response as well! But yes, the ministry of Agriculture also conducts research specifically related to their affairs. They just don’t specialize in archiving it or applying it in academic settings like the Ministry of Knowledge would. Think about it like this- the other 4 ministries conduct the same kind of practical R&D that a business or organization would, while the Ministry of Knowledge conducts research more on a university/archival level.
In which case, I think I have some editing to do.

Hey everyone! Sorry for being a bit quiet lately. Just to confirm, everyone’s characters are essentially approved! I’m going to go through them individually in a bit to ask some extra clarifications/ask questions though! :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back