OOC Chat

Well I went back and had a look at what you've got so far. So your character is an actor? Just off hand maybe something like a kid who was bullied for being effimete or "the drama club guy" but then he suddenly gets a role in a show that ends up being a surprise hit.

Overnight he becomes the most popular kid in school that everyone wabts to know which is great at first but then he sort of becomes disillusioned with all the hypocrisy. Eventually he ends up moving to Sunrise Heights to stay with relatives to escape some of the attention and focus a little on school.

So he would be a guy who seems charming on the surface but has trouble trusting people or making genuine friendships due to believing people only care about him due to being famous or only see him as the character he plays. That could be fun.

@AtlannianSpy

Here are some of my thoughts on the options you mentioned:

1. That two-tiered system could get to be an issue, but the solution to it, at least to me, seems obvious. Make none of the social links victims and separate them from the shadow world altogether- that way, they're all on equal ground. This is, of course, how all of the non-party social links work in Persona. If you designate time in the shadow world to more character-driven events, similar to P4, and the time outside of it to something more plot-driven that incorporates these potential social links, I think it could strike a more even balance.
  2. I don't see any problem with splitting up the group into two parties. In fact, I love that idea. However, if we're staggering the character introductions, this might not help out until later in the RP. Also, as you mentioned before, you are new. Is there anyone you trust enough to dub as co-GM?
  3. You have a good point. Emphasis at all is a compromise, which requires a sacrifice of something. In the end, as GM, it's entirely up to you what you'd like to place more emphasis on, if anything at all.

I realize that the combat portion of the CS is probably not finalized, but I have to ask, how are we handling that? Will there be stats proper, or is it a matter of individual roleplayers understanding their limits?

@gogojojo331

Personally, I used two strategies to build Azumi, and maybe they'll help you create Kentaro. The first is that, given Persona's roots in tarot cards, I researched more about the meaning and symbolism of each one. While there is no designation on the sheet for what arcana each character is, it might help you to first select an archetype you think he fits, and then branch out from there. The second strategy I used was to set up a clear vision of 'now' and 'then'. What I mean by that is this: I decided where Azumi was going to start out (what she's struggling with, what her motivations are, how she feels) and then I brainstormed how I wanted her to end up by the end of the RP. What do you think your character will learn or gain from an experience similar to the ones in a Persona game?

I hope maybe that can help you get over your block!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nonagon

Ah crap I knew I'd forgotten something. You guys can go ahead and add an arcana section and pick one for your characters if you like.

1. Yeah that may indeed be the best way to do it. It would give me a bit more control over the dungeons in terns of their theming and stuff and would let me be a bit more flexible in terms of structure which might be good.

2. And that might be another reason to not do staggered introductions, it's seeming like the drawbacks might outweigh the potential benefits. On the subject of a Co GM there isn't really. What I might do is ask one of you guys later on down the track once we've gotten to know each other a bit better. The earlier stages of the rp are planned to a bit more linear which will

make it easier to run solo. Now that I think about it I guess I know a couple of people on this site frome elsewhere but I don't think they're into Persona.

In terms of combat I'm much more of a freeform person than a systems person although I don't mind having basic stats as sort of guidelines it will ultimately be up to you guys to keep a consistent and reasonable sense of your own strength. Persona's are arguably more defined by their abilities than their stats which I'm not quiiiite sure how to replicate just yet. I was toying with a system where people pick a high stat and a low one and a couple of ability types like "physical attack and buffing" or

"magical attacks and healing" etc.

I will also be nabbing the fuuka/rise style radar dish persona so I'll have a fairly reliable way to convey how strong each opponent is.

Tarquin said:
Imma snag the Priestess Arcana for my character if no one else has designs on it.
Yeah she seems like a priestess to me. I should say by the way that I really like everyone's apps so far. They're all accepted except for @gogojojo331 who just needs to add in the strengths and weaknesses and pick an arcana and they will be.

With that in mind is anybody besides @Hellkite , who's consented to being introduced after we start, working on or planning a CS? If not we may be in a good position to kick things off relatively soon.

I am going to send around a pm everyone who turned up on the interest thread just in case. And also finally set up that Pm for everyone here.

Kencen said:
Working on my character right now.
Great, also be sure to pick an arcana for your character, I just remembered to add it to the app now but I've already asked everyone else to do so. Currently we Have magician, priestess and hanged man and I'd rather not have any duplicates.

Everything on this list

Arcana

except for these

Taken Major Arcana

1. Magician

12. Hanged Man

2. Priestess

8. Strength

Restricted Major Arcana

0. Fool

20. Aeon

21. World

gogojojo331 said:
Well, I think temperance works with my character... What do you think?
I can see it, I woulda said maybe Moon if I had to pick but you know your character best man.

Okay I managed to delete the almost finished opening post I was working on without saving any of it and I don't really have time to redo it tonight so the beginning of the IC thread is going to be pushed back to tommorrow unfortunately.

Oooookaaaaay so this has happened twice now. I don't even know what happened this time, my browser randomly turned the tab I was working in into the google front page, I was like three sentences away from being done as well.

Tomorrow cross my heart the thread will be ready. In the meantime does anybody have any questions or thoughts they want to discuss before the rp begins?

AtlannianSpy said:
Oooookaaaaay so this has happened twice now. I don't even know what happened this time, my browser randomly turned the tab I was working in into the google front page, I was like three sentences away from being done as well.
Tomorrow cross my heart the thread will be ready. In the meantime does anybody have any questions or thoughts they want to discuss before the rp begins?
Try going back and refreshing. That works for me.

Anyway, still pretty hype. Hope this goes well!

Yeah I tried that, no luck. (:<) I was on my phone too so the damn thing took me ages. I'm gonna write a post I owe some people and then see if the sting has subsided enough that I can take another crack.

I highly recommend writing your posts in Google Docs first. It is nearly impossible to lose your work on Google Docs, as it saves automatically every few seconds.

Well yeah, normally I just use word or something but I was on my phone which males that sort of thing a bit more fiddly. I really don't like posting on my phone but I'm stuck at work tonight so it was either this or no post all. Didn't really pan out but oh well.

Fortunately that won't be necessary. I am terribly sorry for the delays everyone but our IC thread is now up and running. You're free to do more or less whatever you want, your characters should all have just awoken from a strange dream though. Also they'll need to have a way to check their email close at hand, a laptop or a phone or whatever.

Other than that it's a Saturday morning with nothing particularly unusual about it so just have them do whatever you think they would be doing on a saturday morning. Ideally, you should incorporate some elements of your answers to the Why would your character want to escape the world? question since that will become relevant pretty soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back