Only the insomniac looks on with open eyes.

slim

destroyer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
d2889cc6231761cc2f5f3f574ef8aed4.jpg

Name

Nocia Daven

nicknames

Noc//Nic

sexuality

Asexual

gender + pronouns

Female//She//Her

godly parent

Somnus, God of sleep

general appearance

can be a short paragraph or split into sections. idrc.

skills & weaknesses

what is your character good at? bad at? 3 each.

personality

2+ paragraphs or 3 vices/virtues explained.

biography

Her fate had been written before she had even came into existance.

It had been years ago, when the gods freely roamed and their children battles evil monsters and were celebrated in every corner of the land. 

Somnus was mostly a strict god then, but on that particular day he had become more relaxed. The gods and goddesses had joined in Olympus and the feast was underway. Mercury had been gambling of course, and as usual his trophies were numerous. Somnus had agreed to go against the trickster, thinking his luck was up. Mercury failed miserably to hide his grin as Somnus growled in defeat some minutes later.

"What do you want? More golden trinkets? Perhaps some new playing cards, you vile imp." Somnus said with a laugh. 

Mercury and Somnus had never really been close, but that wasn't new for gods. However, Mercury had a bone to pick. Somnus had killed one of his sons recently who had fallen asleep at his guard post, making him a candidate of Somnus's punishments. 

"Material objects can be swindled out of anyone. I want something with more value. Sleep."

Somnus was confused, of course.

"You want me to put you to sleep? You didn't exactly have to win the game to make that request."

Mercury shook his head.

"One of your children will be born unable to sleep, because I will have possession of that ability. You killed my son by meddling with his dreams, so it's only fair I prevent one of yours to harm any others like your kids tend to do." Mercury watched the other god bristle as he listened to the other's words.

"Which child?" Alumnus eventually asked, and Mercury simply shrugged. 

"Not any of the ones already born, but one yet to be. You'll know when I have chosen."

Somnus eventually agreed, but he swore to never have another child. However, gods are like rabbits. Somnus stayed true to his word for a century or so, but time sped by so fast for him that his pledge was soon forgotten. Mercury never seemed to want to collect his dues, and Somnus thought he had moved on to bigger things.

Somnus fell in love with a mortal woman thousands of years later, and he couldn't have been prouder as he saw the small bump protruding from his lover's stomach. His own plummeted when he saw Mercury, invisible to his love, standing outside the house. 

He had the audacity to be smiling. 

"You know why I'm here. Lose the snarl, will ya? It's not like I'm asking for the child's life." Mercury casually tapped his caduceus against his heel. 

"It hasn't even been born yet." Somnus said, and Mercury sighed.

"I'll return later then. Can't wait." He was gone before Somnus could blink.

Somnus knew it was pointless to try to stop the god, but he felt bad now that the threat was now imminent. His child might as well be human if she couldn't sleep, which helped his children use hypokinesis. Maybe it was better for the child to be normal.

Months later, Somnus got to hold his baby daughter, who wailed Her mother had fallen asleep sometime later, and it was now just the proud father and his tiny infant.  Mercury was nowhere to be found. 

As most gods were with their children, Nocia grew up thinking her father had left them, which he had in a way. Her mother never spoke of the man who had won her heart and then left with it, leaving the empty hole in her chest and Nocia, the bitter reminder of the man she thought was going to be as permanent as her pain. Nocia knew her mother loved her, but she also knew it wasn't easy for her as well. The girl spent most of her days playing outside after doing homework and playing near the cliffs. There house was a cute one perched on the cliff, and its peeling blue paint and hideous lawn ornaments were nothing but comforting. However, she loved the beach. She didn't like it when the sun was out and it was crowded, but when the gray clouds rolled in and the waves grew choppy, she ran to the shores after disposing her shoes further inland. She had done this for as long as she could remember, and one day, she had a visitor. It was an old man with a hunched back and white hairs barely clinging on to his almost bald head. Nocia had always been warned about strangers, but there was nothing threatening about the man. Nocia started wading in the boisterous waves like she usually did, but the man spoke.

"Why do you come out here? It's far too dangerous." 

"I like it when it's like this. It's like the sea is threowing a temper, and I'm the only one who can calm it down."

"Put it to sleep." The man said, his stern face lessening into something softer. 

"Why are you here?" Nocia asked.

"I came for something promised to me years ago. I waited it out, looking for the perfect moment. I was angry then, but I think my anger has dissipated. Instead of taking what I need out of anger, I'm taking it out of something better. I think it will affect them for the better."

Nocia didn't quite understand, but she immediately blacked out soon after the man was done speaking. Mercury's disguise vanished as he gentlyt scooped the girl up and took her to her house. He put his hand on her head and held it, then poulled away slowly. Blue mist was in his palm, and he jarred it before vanishing. Nocia woke up confused, and even more so when she realized  it was the last time she'd ever wake up again.

When she told her mother about her weird condition, her mother laughed. She believed her daughter, but she found it ironic. Her daughter, the child of the god of sleep, couldn't sleep any longer. Nocia tried, but it was beyond her reach. She spent her nights watching the moon shine lover the black expanse in the horizon. She found it ridiculous, but it wasn't exactly awful either.

Her powers showed up soon after. 

Her mother had fallen asleep on the couch, and Nocia walked by her to get water from the kitchen. When she looked over at her mom's sleeping figure, a rippling image was above her. It was like a T.V, and Nocia watched in fascination as a man was shown smiling, trying on hideous hats. A familiar hand with a diamond reached out and jokingly shoved him. Nocia could hear the laughter, her mother's laugh, ringing out. She saw here dad for the first time. She knew it was him. The dreams were more than that, they were memories. Memories flowing into her as she looked. He had eaten a whole plate of eggs and bacon that day before they had gone out, and he had insisted she wore the new dress he bought her out that she said was too formal for a walk in the city, but she agreed like she always did. After dinner and drinks they stumbled out, laughing with hands entwined. They ended up at a weird trinket store after it began to rain, and spent wading out the weather with laughter. 

The memories were swift and left an ache in Nocia's chest. She let her hand skim the image, right on her dad's smiling face. As soon as her hand made contact, the image froze, then shattered. The shards hit the floor, and Nocia leapt back and watched them dissipate. Nocia was shaken up, but collected herself and gave her mother a small kiss on her forehead. Her mother wasn't breathing.

Everything was a blur. She phoned 9-1-1 in hysterics, and paramedics came rushing in, hands grabbed her and ushered her away and asked questions. Nocia couldn't answer any of them. Her mother had been dead for a while, it seemed, before the ambulance arrived. Nocia was guilty. They didn't know that, but she did. 

She ran. 

The 14 year old girl ran until she couldn't, away from her mother's cold body, away from the comforting roar of the waves. Her body was tired as she continued, but she couldn't sleep and didn't want or need to. 

An older camper found her and recognized her as a demigod and took her to the camp. 

That night, she tossed and turned as usual, but something seemed to be calling her. She heard the sound of waves. She ran outside, the cold hair whipping her hair as she ran barefoot through the woods, closer to the sound. 

She saw him. He looked different, but she could tell who it was. He stood at the top of the hill, moonlight shining on his golden hair, his face free of wrinkles and his clothing shining with an ethereal light.

"You were the one who did this to me." Nocia said after she found her voice. 

"I did. I thought it would make you less meddlesome like your siblings. Instead, I just made you more powerful." 

"If it bothers you so much, then undo what you did." Hermes tilted his head at her words as if considering it, but shook his head no.

"Dangerous times are coming, Nocia, and I believe it would hurt a lot of us if I returned to you what I took. You'll be a lot more useful awake than asleep. Secretly, I think you like it."  The god vanished, leaving Nocia alone. 

Her abilities were pretty normal most of the time, like making people fall asleep. However, she could see dreams and even enter them and change them if she wished. What she had done to her mother, someone explained, was simply destroy the dream, freezing her mother's mind. For a demigod or god it would have simply been an inconvenience, but for a mortal, it would be fatal. 

time spent at camp

self-explanatory

optional

* disclaimer: these are not required but putting them in your cs will flesh out your character further and may make me like them more *

likes & dislikes

self-explanatory, no set number of each.

mbti

go here for reference

moral alignment

True Neutral

theme song

self-explanatory

eccentricities

voiceclaim

self-explanatory 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread