One To Be Loved

This prompt was written on August 9th, 2011.

The first time I wrote for One to be Loved was 5 years ago in 2006. It's hard to believe it's been that long. It was traditional play-by-post roleplay that took place in the Warcraft universe... I believe just after WoW got super popular. It was just a lazy fanfiction off shoot then. I almost quit since I was going on a "no creative bars" license on what I could do in a Warcraft setting. Over the years though, I lost that license and realized, "What the hell, I'll do what I want" assuming it is viable in-universe.

It also puzzled a lot of people that I RP'ed with. Why play a romantic comedy RP in a universe were fighting is common? Honestly, I had always felt that fighting is usually unnecessary and action scenes are tedious to write. I wanted a story with feeling, humor, and quirky people that I could relate to. Dying solely for honor? Killing people for revenge, glory, or money? I don't get it. I wanted to laugh because characters are allowed to be dumb, and they know that there are times to play, times to laugh, times to cry, times to be angry, times to love, and times to smile. I wanted a story in Warcraft where the characters could be friends and live with what makes them so jarring different instead of fighting about it all of the time. Those are the stories I remember.

No taking over the world scheme. No omnipotent god getting in the way. Just... a whacky life, meeting eccentric people, doing whacky things, and doing some growing up.

What is this?

One to be Loved was a roleplay that started in 2005. The story was written by three people, running all of the way to its end in 2009. It's the only roleplay that I've seen all the way through with a satisfying ending for everyone involved.

RPDom's One to be Loved will follow the same vein. Although the characters will be different.

One to be Loved is focused around the characters that make it. Though we'll be getting into all kinds of trouble, I have close to nothing about what it is that we're going to do. Keep things interesting by flinging ideas and making your character do things.

What do I need to know before making a character?

This roleplay originally took place in the Warcraft universe, but over time we slowly drifted away from it because we started a year or two after WoW came out. It eventually became something that kinda was Warcraft, but wasn't really... does that make sense? We added things that we needed that would be impossible in the Warcraft universe.

We're basically using a generic fantasy setting with a little Warcraft mixed in and a touch of real life and the consequences. This way, every race is available and more or less "normal". Therefore, you don't actually need to know anything about Warcraft itself, but if you want to make a Night Elf or Blood Elf or some other Noun Elf, you can. I really don't care that much. Dive right in.

If you want to, you are allowed to make a character built off of someone else's. For example, one person could be playing Jack, while another person plays Jack's girlfriend. Or Jack's boss. Or Jack's best friend. Something like that.

Major Themes and Genre?

The main theme of One to be Loved is well... love. Love in its many forms, in the many types of relationships that it appears in. Among family, friends, co-workers, animals... The many different ways in which people care.

What else?

I wanted to laugh because characters are allowed to be dumb, and they know that there are times to play, times to laugh, times to cry, times to be angry, times to love, and times to smile.

Character Roll Call: (As characters are introduced, this list will link to each character)

Solune Du'pont

Character Sheet

Name: (What is this person's name? Nicknames can go here, too)

Age: (How old is your person? Or, how old they wanna be...)

Appearance: (What your person looks like. Text and/or images are appropriate)

Posting Color: (The color when this person speaks. Makes it easier to read their lines.)

Personality: (How does this person behave, casually speaking?)

Biography: (How has this person lived thus far? Don't go too far back. Try to keep it brief.)

Profession/Skills/Hobbies: (What does your person do for a living-- if anything? What're they good at doing? What do they like doing?)

Favorite/Hated Food: (What's the one food this person swears by? In contrast, what food is it that this person absolutely cannot stand?)

Favorite/Hated Race: (What race of people does your person like the most? Likewise, what race do they not like at all, or outright hate?)

Ask any questions if you think of them. Thanks!

Name: Solune Du'pont

Appearance: A 5'7" Human with a small build and toned muscles. Has medium-length, dusty brown hair that goes about a eight inches down after her neck. Part of the working class, you'll never see her wearing frilly dresses or skirts. She doesn't have time for that.

Posting Color: Orange

Personality: Assertive and outspoken when it comes to business. Does her best not to offend people. Try to get to know her on a personal level and you'll realize she can be quite shy and reserved. She's never left Aster or has gone traveling, so she's really interested in people who come from out of town.

Biography: A native of Aster, known as the City of Beginnings (and our hub town). Grew up on the poor side of town, knows her way into and out of the slums, where the gangsters are, and the safest places to be at all times of the day. Gotta know if you wanna live, right? Has a father, but Dad never talks about Mom. She used to care, but as she grew up there were more important things to worry about.

Profession/Skills/Hobbies: By trade, she's a waitress at the Shady Oak. She's good at her job: being at the ready for orders, busing tables, serving people their food, doing the cleaning after closing, counting the till with the manager, etc. Can cook for herself and does baking really well, even better at making pies.

Favorite/Hated Food: Loves curry, but hates anything slimy.

Favorite/Hated Race: Her job requires her to serve anybody, no matter who they are. She's well adjusted on how to address people of diverse backgrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back