Once and for all...

Forn Clakes

ECR Refugee
...I'd like to clear up something that keeps bugging me.  At one point I'm sure I understand it, but when I start to think on it, I'm unsure.

Is raising the difficulty for an action the same as reducing the successes?

Cheers,

~FC.

Essentially. When you perform an action, you roll some successes on some dice... I seem to remember reading somewhere 8). You subtract any difficulty increases from the successes rolled to see how many successes you get, so normally incresing difficulty above 1 is identical to subtracting successes. This is because most pools of successes come from a single roll.

So the only situation where it might be different is in an extended action, where a player accumulates a pool of successes. Some effects can decrease this total pool, but difficulty increases won't necessarily. Like climbing a cliff: rolling fewer successes than the difficulty won't usually make you lose accumulated successes, but botches often will.

Opposed, extended contests like demon-summoning... gleargh, later, i dunno...........xxzc !!!1!1

I thought raising the difficulty only meant that you need 3 successes to do it, instead of just 1?

Zaramis said:
I thought raising the difficulty only meant that you need 3 successes to do it, instead of just 1?
You see, this is where my confusion lies.  I've questioned, in the past, if the raising difficulty rule meant that you need, fore example, 3 successes in stead of 1 but where every success is counted.  See what I mean?

~FC.

One time when the distinction becomes important is during combat.

If the difficulty to hit someone is 4, you can think of it as dropping 3 successes, but those 3 successes still count toward damage.

Capisce?

-S

Stillborn said:
One time when the distinction becomes important is during combat.
If the difficulty to hit someone is 4, you can think of it as dropping 3 successes, but those 3 successes still count toward damage.

Capisce?

-S
That's what I thought, but I am now confused once again.  I think I live in a state of confusion sometimes.

Right...so...if a character wishes to attempt to disarm, which raises the difficulty to 3, then they will need to get at least three successes to do so, but all the successes are counted towards damage.

Now, with this in mind...If the same character was doing so while blinded, then the roll is at difficulty 3, counting the successes for damage, but at -2 successes because of their visual impairment.

Am I on the ball, or completely off it?

~FC.

Now, with this in mind...If the same character was doing so while blinded, then the roll is at difficulty 3, counting the successes for damage, but at -2 successes because of their visual impairment.
Am I on the ball, or completely off it?
You're on the ball. I'd argue wether the blind man should get a damage penalty, but those are the rules as written.

I think the writers are (gasp!) sometimes sloppy with the distinction themselves. Go with what makes sense to you.

-S

Stillborn said:
You're on the ball.
I have seen the light! *does a little jig*

Stillborn said:
I think the writers are (gasp!) sometimes sloppy with the distinction themselves. Go with what makes sense to you.
Hell, yeah.  I hope that this kind of nonsense is sorted in the 2nd edition.

Many thanks, you've made FC very happy   :D

~FC.

The question shouldn't be whether or not to assign a penalty, but ask yourself and the player after the session why the hell they didn't Stunt that shit, complete with a training montage to explain why in the heck the blinding shouldn't penalize them, but give them at least a two die bonus for whooping ass in a thematically appropriate fashion...

Stillborn said:
Nope. Bottom of page 88, BWB; "Extra successes beyond the minimum..." As raising the difficulty is raising the minimum, only the ones above that count.

The two systems; difficulty and removing successes are identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back