• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Notification Problems

BloodWolfRising

Dame of the Moon's Darkness
Roleplay Type(s)
Okay I know I'm not the only one, in two of my major rp's, and my 1x1 rp's I haven't been getting notifications and niether have others in my rp's. I'm wondering if this is a site problem or just a mobile problem because I am always using my phone.

Have you already checked to make sure that your notification settings are all as they should be? If so..then I heard that if you stop watching a thread/ rp and then click to watch it again, that could fix the problem.

The site seems to sporadically choose what things take priority with notifications.
For instance, there are times when I get a notification every single time someone comments on a profile post I comment on.
At other times, I'll get a notification about the latest reply in a stream of 5 or 10.

With threads, it seems to decide whether you refresh the page or not, and if you do, it'll cut corners or something, since you're kind of notifying yourself.

-Sano, not an expert and probably remembering it wrong

The site seems to sporadically choose what things take priority with notifications.
For instance, there are times when I get a notification every single time someone comments on a profile post I comment on.
At other times, I'll get a notification about the latest reply in a stream of 5 or 10.

With threads, it seems to decide whether you refresh the page or not, and if you do, it'll cut corners or something, since you're kind of notifying yourself.

-Sano, not an expert and probably remembering it wrong

You're not wrong. It happens to me, too. But might as well suggest a fix they can try. Although they may just end up having to deal with it like we do. XD

Haha yeah I know and I have checked everything with my notifications and I have also unwatched and re watched all threads that I'm in they still don't seem to work. And I even have the rpn app and it only notifies me when someone likes a post.

As for refreshing the page, I only do it when I go to make a post and my phone decides to freeze up.

Haha yeah I know and I have checked everything with my notifications and I have also unwatched and re watched all threads that I'm in they still don't seem to work. And I even have the rpn app and it only notifies me when someone likes a post.

As for refreshing the page, I only do it when I go to make a post and my phone decides to freeze up.

So is this an issue only with the app? Does this happen when you use just the mobile site?

If it helps at all, I frequently use the mobile site and I have no issues with the notification system. I get notifications for the threads that I have watched.

The notification system isn't the same as it was on IPS where every single post from something watched would pop a notif up. Instead it gives one notification 'per thread' until you check the initial notification it sent for new replies.

notif.png

You'll notice a "There may be more posts after this." If you are getting no notifications at all, and you've already unwatched/rewatched the thread and checked your alert preferences, try clearing your browsing data as a last ditch effort.

As far as the RpNation app, the notifications have been glitchy since it was released, consider it very early ALPHA-stage.

I use the mobile site too. Sometimes I won't get notifications or I'll get them later on. It's not all the time it happens though.

The notification system isn't the same as it was on IPS where every single post from something watched would pop a notif up. Instead it gives one notification 'per thread' until you check the initial notification it sent for new replies.

View attachment 353279

You'll notice a "There may be more posts after this." If you are getting no notifications at all, and you've already unwatched/rewatched the thread and checked your alert preferences, try clearing your browsing data as a last ditch effort.

As far as the RpNation app, the notifications have been glitchy since it was released, consider it very early ALPHA-stage.
Just curious; why isn't it the same? Too much work for the website, just thought it would clear up notifications, or it's physically incapable of doing notifications for every post?

Well I downloaded the RPN App to try and see if it would give me notifications, like right now on this thread it seems to be working but I guess I'll have to do that last ditch effort one cuz I've tried everything else

Just curious; why isn't it the same? Too much work for the website, just thought it would clear up notifications, or it's physically incapable of doing notifications for every post?
It isn't the same because it's a different software. IPS was the software we tried for several months last year. Now (and before that) we use xenForo. xenForo is releasing a major update soon, hopefully be the end of the year, and we hope notifications will work better then.

In the meantime, we all have to just work around the glitches. I've found that mine stay mostly up-to-date as long as I either click on a notification, or refresh the page it's for if I've got it open already. (But it seems others have issues with refreshing, so you'll have to see what works for you.) I do know that if you view a notification and then don't load the page the notification is for, the system assumes you don't want notifications anymore, so try to do that any time you view your notifications.

It isn't the same because it's a different software. IPS was the software we tried for several months last year. Now (and before that) we use xenForo. xenForo is releasing a major update soon, hopefully be the end of the year, and we hope notifications will work better then.

In the meantime, we all have to just work around the glitches. I've found that mine stay mostly up-to-date as long as I either click on a notification, or refresh the page it's for if I've got it open already. (But it seems others have issues with refreshing, so you'll have to see what works for you.) I do know that if you view a notification and then don't load the page the notification is for, the system assumes you don't want notifications anymore, so try to do that any time you view your notifications.
I'm legitimately OCD about my notifications.
I got this one and clicked it in seconds. But I don't think that was an issue.

I do know that if you view a notification and then don't load the page the notification is for, the system assumes you don't want notifications anymore

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
That right there, that's good to know cuz sometimes when I get a notification I will just look at what it says but can't click it cuz I'm busy at the time....

I have OCD, too. It's a bit hard to cope with the inconsistency, but at least it works at all. Or I would be lost as to who replied when and where.

You can also check Watched Threads and Watched Forums to see if there's anything unread there. ^3^

You can also check Watched Threads and Watched Forums to see if there's anything unread there. ^3^

I forget bout those sometimes, um a little off topic but how does applying for a HP really work because I thought I was supposed to tell the main base of what was going down for the rp, but when I tired it at first it was ignored pretty much. Now I'm going for it again from a different perspective of needing it for two large rp's is that the right way instead?

We aren't ignoring HP applications, but we are pretty behind due to a number of real life issues and some things we're working on for the site. If you didn't get a response, but you have more info to add, just reply to your first thread, don't make a new one.

If we have questions about your application, we'll ask them in that thread.

We aren't ignoring HP applications, but we are pretty behind due to a number of real life issues and some things we're working on for the site. If you didn't get a response, but you have more info to add, just reply to your first thread, don't make a new one.

If we have questions about your application, we'll ask them in that thread.

Okay well I just wasn't sure if it wasn't Accepted or anything cuz I did it wrong or something that's why I made a different thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back