• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Not Your Average Punk-Rock Band

Rose

The brunette ran her fingers through her hair, nervously. Her stomach was in knots as she looked around the backstage, none of the band members had arrived, yet. Their performance wasn't set to go on for another hour, but they still needed to set up and rehearse, not to mention that Rose needed someone to slap her out of her stressful state of mind. This was going to be their biggest performance of the year. The lead singer stepped out from backstage to look around the shopping centre. There were people walking around, shopping, and taking the occasional glance at the still empty stage. Rose had no doubt in her mind that in the next thirty minutes, the crowd would triple, as the centre's Big Summer Bash was about to begin. With a sigh, she slid onto the backstage, looking for her fellow band members.

@razorstar @SomatoToup123 @vvamavi @Z Greatest001

Bruno McCoy

Bruno sat in his car, the keys in his pocket and his bass in his lap. He stared out the windshield of his thrashed Taurus, the only car in the parking lot that was probably more duct tape than metal. But, at least it had already been a silver car.

He took a deep breath, trying not to think of the countless people in the mall and the fact that he'd be performing for them.

Damn, he could use a smoke.

Instead, he shoved open the car door, and began the trek to the mall. He had to park a while away, but he could handle a bit of a walk. It'd give him a chance to calm down a bit.

By the time he was inside, he was able to force himself to look as mellow and calm as always, even if sirens were going off in his mind. A small smile hung on his face, his brown eyes as warm as the hot chocolate he'd drank the morning. He easily found the stage- it was in a very obvious spot -and went behind the curtain, stopping to take out his bass before even looking to see who was back there. He pulled out the silver instrument, lightly strumming the strings to make sure it was still fairly tuned from earlier that day. It'd need an adjustment or two once it reacted to the temperature change, but it wasn't going to be a hard fix. He glanced up, seeing Rose and nodding a greeting to her.

Joel pulled up in his Jeep and broke out into a jog towards the building. The closer he got the more excitement he felt in the pit of his stomach, tightening his muscles and pulling his lips into a grin. When he reached the mall he headed straight for the stage, some nervousness mixing in with his excitement; he was still in amazement that they all were in a band together despite their differences. "Sorry I was late, Rose. One of the dogs got out and I had to go get'em."He explained, slightly out of breath. His blonde hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail and his green and blue flannel was partly unbuttoned to display the black tank top underneath. He was going to change for the concert in order to fit their image; maybe lose the flannel and let his hair down. With a calming sigh he gave Rose a warm smile, noticing her nervousness."You're going to do great. We're going to be great. Don't fret, hun."He said, ruffling her hair slightly. Joel then began to unpack his electric blue guitar from its casing, the nervousness returning. This happened everytime they performed, he became dreadfully aware of the fact that he was a rookie guitar player.

He glanced at Bruno as he tuned his bass, looking back down at his own guitar. Taking a deep breath, Joel began to strum each string individually. One thing he's discovered in the past year or so of learning the guitar is that he has perfect pitch, which in the very least let him know which notes were wrong and which ones were right.

@RedLikeRoses @razorstar

Last edited by a moderator:

Eileen King

Eileen was late. Again. Her parents had started another argument with her just as she was leaving. It’s funny how their presence was lacking when she left for anything other than band stuff, but when they caught even the slightest whisper of her leaving for any kind of practice, they were at her feet in seconds. Eileen glanced at the digital clock on her dash just as she parked her Range Rover in the mall’s parking lot. “Alright boys,” she glanced at her passengers, “you get six tickets to the next Lakers game if you help me with my keyboard in the next twenty minutes. Understand?” The three boys nodded and Eileen hopped out of her car with the three guys in tow – a blond and two brunets. She popped open the trunk, gesturing to her keyboard and stand. The three boys made haste to carry all of it and Eileen quickly made a beeline into the mall. Her eyes found the stage, a cute little set up in the middle of an open space, and her heart soared with the thought of performing. What could she say? She loved the thrill of attention.

“This way boys!” Eileen directed the teens to the backstage area, pulling out six rectangles of paper as the boys set down her stuff and handing them the tickets. She watched in amusement as one of the boys – the blond one – gave Rose (
@RedLikeRoses) a cheeky grin on his way out. Eileen let out a huff of relief, going over to Rose and throwing her arms around the other girl from the side. “I know – third time this week, I’m sorry, Rose.” She gave her other bandmates a small wave and smile in greeting. “Hey Bruno (@razorstar), Joel (@Z Greatest001).”

Daniel

Daniel sped up his pace through the shopping centre. He wasn't late-he came a little earlier than everyone else-he just got hungry and decided to go look for some food. And his exploration for food turned into window shopping, that turned into him looking for some cool new drumsticks. He probably should have waited until after the show though, because now he had to rush himself. Daniel quickly purchased the set of sticks before practically sprinting out of the store and through the mall. The stage where they would be preforming appeared in his line of sight, and Daniel slowed down his pace a bit. In no time, he came to a complete stop as he stood in front of the stage. He marveled at it a bit, amazed at how much they grew the past year, and how grateful he was to be here. He shook himself out of those thoughts though, he shouldn't be thinking about that now, they had rehearsals to get through. Daniel hopped on the stage and went to the backstage area, where he met his fellow band mates. He gave them all a small wave before going to where his drums were set up and sitting down, using his new drumsticks and testing them out. They were neon green, and pretty flashy.

Bruno McCoy

Once he was sure that his bass was in perfect tune, or at least as close as possible he could get it with both his ears and an electric tuner, he looked at the others, a relaxed smile on his face. He wore mostly grayscale, with a few splashes of purple. His shoelaces, the tie loosely wrapped around his neck, his studded belt, his watch. All of them were the exact same shade of violet, and he had to admit, he matched his bass perfectly. Sure, the thing was a bit more sharply shaped than he liked on his instruments, but it was the first instrument he'd bought with his own money, even if it took him two years to save up for the specialized paint job.

"So, what's the plan?" He asked to no one in particular, adjusting the bass's strap until it hung at the right level for him. He gave another absent strum, confirming that he could play like this. He tapped a soft rhythm on one of the strings, almost expecting it to magically be back out of tune. Nope, it was fine, and it helped to settle Bruno's nerves a hair. Not much, but just enough for him to confirm he wasn't going to drop unconscious in front of a crowd.

esp_e-ii_dy5_doris_yeh_pssb_purple_silver_sunburst_5-string_electric_bass_guitar_1710074-1.jpg

Rose

A sigh of relief escaped Rose's lips as Bruno arrived and gave her a nod. She gave a half-wave, too busy stressing over what needed to be done to give any other greeting. The girl had already set up her microphone outside, and had a spare one backstage for rehearsal purposes. Once everyone was ready, they would get to rehearsing. She was just about to debate on what to do with her clothes, or even her glasses, when Joel approached. The girl pushed her glasses up onto the bridge of her nose, and listened to what he had to say. "It's fine.. At least your here." She mustered out, giving a half-smile back at him, "And thanks. I kind of needed that." Rose didn't like how Bruno ruffled her hair, but she avoided saying anything about it. When he went to his guitar, Rose resumed worrying over the rest of the afternoon. (@Z Greatest001)

When three teenage boys appeared, Rose had a pretty good feeling that she knew who was coming. Eileen. The girl always knew how to make an entrance. Rose was oblivious to the way the blonde boy looked at her, and simply gave a small wave to him as he left. "It doesn't matter that any of you are late." Rose said to everyone as Daniel entered.

"As for our 'plan,' Bruno. We do what we always do, I suppose: Get our instruments set up, play a random song to warm up, and then go play on stage in hopes for a crowd to miraculously appear." Rose stated (
@razorstar). She then turned to Eileen. "Okay, I need fashion advice. This is one of our biggest gigs we've gotten, so do I need to pretend to look like a rebel rocker person, or can I just wear what I have on and hope people only care about my voice?" Rose asked, motioning to her outfit which consisted of her glasses, a pair of jeans, and a plaid shirt. She never had any fashion-sense, so she figured to ask the girl who looked good in everything. "I brought something to change into, but I don't feel really comfortable in it..." She trailed off, looking down at her black converse. (@vvamavi)

Eileen King

At Rose's (@RedLikeRoses) question, Eileen hummed and stepped back, observing the other girl's outfit. Honestly, Rose was right; it was their first really big concert and they may need to start coordinating outfits if they wanted to keep performing that way. Eileen made a mental note to work on that later. She took a look around and saw that most of everyone was wearing black or gray. Eileen herself had donned a dark gray tank with short jean shorts and black tights underneath. To top off the look, she'd put her hair up in a high pony, put on her favorite green bomber jacket, and slipped on a pair of black combat boots. The look was a bit bleaker than Eileen really liked, but she thought it fit the occasion perfectly.

Eileen started to nod as an idea popped into her head. "Okay babes, as beautiful as your voice is and as beautiful as you are, your wardrobe could use a bit of an upgrade. Luckily for us, I came prepared!" Eileen smiled and grabbed her purse, passing the whole thing over to Rose. "I brought some extra clothes that you can change into, and even though they might be a bit big on you, I think they'll still make you look super cute." Eileen winked.

Rose

"Don't I already know that my style sucks?" Rose snapped a bit. It was unintentional, but to her, this concert was the weight of the world pressing down on her shoulders. For all Rose knew, this could be their big break. She muttered a small 'sorry,' as she took hold of Eileen's (@vvamavi) purse. "I doubt anything would make me look 'super cute,' but thanks for the optimism." She added, before walking towards the small dressing room backstage. The singer quickly looked at the outfit that Eileen had prepared, and gave a sigh of relief. It looked comfortable enough. As fast as she could, Rose changed into a pair of black skinny-jeans, and dark-grey crop-top with a black leather jacket to top it all off. The get-up was definitely not what she was used to wearing, but the girl decided she would rather be a little bit uncomfortable than to be completely dull and boring.

Before making her way back to the band, Rose added one final touch. She took off her glasses and pulled out her contacts from her other jean's pocket. After putting in her eye-contacts and taking hold of her clothes and Eileen's purse, Rose hesitantly walked back to her friends. It was one of the first times that she had ever taken (and left) her glasses off, and the new outfit made her feel out of her comfort zone. Without saying a word, Rose gave Eileen back her purse and placed her other clothes onto the ground next to her small assortment of things. The girl rubbed a hand on the back of her neck before looking at the band. "Uh.. Well.. if you guys are ready.. we can get a little practicing in.." (@razorstar @SomatoToup123 @Z Greatest001)

Joel looked up from his guitar and let out a low whistle of appreciation."Wow.....We're really doing this, aren't we?"He said in amazement, looking around at everyone. Standing up he unbuttoned his flannel and took it off, untying his hair and raking his fingers through it as well. "Welp, I'm as ready as I'm going to get."He said standing up and stretching. His body felt lighter as butterflies danced excitedly in his stomach; this was it! Their moment to shine; make it or break it as they say on T.V. "My sisters and Ma would be so proud of me,"He said to himself, clutching his guitar to his chest.

Daniel

Daniel got up from his seat at the drums and stretched also, he wouldn't be able to get much stretching in during the performance. Everyone seemed to be pretty much matched up with the grey and black theme, with Daniel wearing black skinny jeans with a black and grey stripped hoodie. Not the most fancy of the outfits, especially for such a big occasion, but it worked. As he sat back down, he glanced at the time. They could probably fit one quick practice in before it was time to start, so Daniel looked up at Rose (@RedLikeRoses) expectantly, waiting for her to give them the call. A practice would be good, it would probably call all of their nerves'. It was pretty obvious this whole thing was getting to Rose, with her snapping and whatnot. And Joel (@Z Greatest001) was with his guitar talking about his family and everything. Was Daniel the only one who was calm? It seemed like everyone else was getting so overly-hyped for this, but they were going to do the exact same thing they do at any other performance. Address the crowd, play the song, maybe have some playful banter on stage, thank the crowd, then leave. It was the same thing every time. But maybe it was because Daniel's a naturally chill person? Anyways, he wasn't feeling the nerves, and the only thing that got him excited was the chance to get discovered here.​

Eileen King

Eileen bit her lip and winced internally when Rose seemed to snap at her. Immediately, she felt remorse, though she truly didn't mean to offend her friend. When Rose left to change, Eileen groaned and mentally berated herself. She really needed to work on her honesty! Eileen busied herself with testing out her keyboard until Rose reemerged. Eileen grinned, lightly pushing Rose's (@RedLikeRoses) shoulder when she put on the contacts. "Hot damn, Rosie! You clean up well!"

She turned to Joel (
@Z Greatest001) as he whistled. She shrugged, now feeling a little jittery about the idea of performing. "Yeah, this is really happening. Can you believe we've gotten so far?" She nudged Daniel (@SomatoToup123), attempting to get a comment out of one of their more silent members of the group. "I'm guessing you're just really cool with this?"

Daniel

Daniel shrugged at Eileen's (@vvamavi) question. Was it weird that he was so chill? The thought didn't even cross his mind. "Guess I just got over all this the moment we started." His voice wasn't bored, he was in no way bored, it was just a bit monotone. He attempted a small smile though. "You're not too nervous, are you?" Eileen didn't seem to nervous, but anything could happen really. Besides, they were about to start soon, it was likely she felt something. "Because, you shouldn't be. This will all go perfectly." He wasn't just addressing her, but the whole group. Who knows, maybe Daniel's words of encouragement could slightly improve their moods? The neon sticks in his hands lightly started tapping against the drums as Daniel hummed along. He was trying to get into the preforming mood so it wouldn't be so hard for him when the actual time came. His playing wasn't loud, just low enough for him to hear and know the beat. Playing at random moments was kind of a habit for him.

Rose

A crooked grin crossed Rose's fave when Eileen complimented her. Her mood was slowly improving, mainly because she felt bad for snapping at her friend. "Maybe I'd dress like this more if it would land me a boyfriend." She joked, gently pushing Eileen back. While the Keyboardist bantered with the boys, Rose peeked out at the mall, it was definately getting busy, and when she looked up at the clock the realization of the band only having ten minutes left before they performed sunk in. She did her best to hide the anxiety and fear that crossed her face as she looked back at her band.

"Guys.." Rose began, "I don't think we have enough time to fully rehearse. We go on in less than ten. So here's what we do. Eileen (
@vvamavi) warm up your fingers by playing your keyboard. Or texting. Both works. Joel (@Z Greatest001) and Bruno (@razorstar) play random chords on your guitars. Daniel (@SomatoToup123)... Just do what you're doing. Rose! Yes, Rose? Start humming random things! Okay!" The fact that Rose had literally just talked to herself was evidence enough that she was ten second away from going insane and smashing things. But, she still held her composure and began to hum her scale, which then turned into the quiet singing of lyrics to a song she had been writing.

"When trouble comes, and all is done, will you save me? When I'm trapped inside my head, feelin' empty.." Rose trailed off into silence as she looked around at her band. They really had gotten far, and if had finally clicked in Rose's mind that it didn't matter how they did. She straughtened her posture and looked at everyone, "Guys, piggy-backing off of what Daniel said, I guess I just want to say... No matter what happens, no matter if they love us or hate us, we should just try to have fun. And if we get nervous while we're playing, just think about the time I fell off the stage in the middle of one of our gigs."

When Rose finished, the sound of an announcer boomed over the speakers. "Good afternoon, City Mall! Hope you guys are ready to rock, because in just five minutes, the town's favorite punk-rock band Taming Nightmares are going to head onto the central stage! Make your way there before the crowd, or you'll miss all the fun!" Rose looked back at everyone. "It looks like we're about to go on.." She trailed off.

(I want everyone to get on stage before I get Rose to introduce the band.)

Joel took a couple deep breaths before entering onto the stage, his stomach performing a whole gymnastic routine as he made his way across the stage to hook up his guitar to its amp. He didn't know what kind of face he was putting on but he knew it couldn't have been a good one. Joel was bad at faking smiles in intense situations - especially ones where he was around large groups of people - and from what his family members told him, he looks like a 'troubled child' as his mother liked to put it. But that might actually work in this situation since they were a rock band and no one really cared if you looked pissed off half the time; the thought made him chuckled silently to himself. Thats the whole reason why he was attracted to rock music in particular: the raw emotions behind it. Sure country music had emotions to it too, many songs can bring him to tears, but rock.....Rock made him feel something that he didn't know he could feel; Joel was a generally happy guy, selfless and always supportive of everyone around him, but he had no idea that deep down inside himself some dark emotions were buried underneath his desire to be useful. When he first got introduced to this type of music it was freeing, and invigorating and....inspiring. When on stage like this and playing music with the rest of them, he was allowed to be a totally different person. He wasn't expected to be responsible or nice or anything like that, instead he could be intense and rebellious and reckless if he wanted.

Joel looked up from his guitar with a smoldering look, letting his hair fall into his face slightly and his lips to curl into a sly smirk. His fingers started to strum his instrument, the sound was powerful and edgy, building up anticipation in the crowd. He paced about the stage and interacted with the crowd a little, occasionally offering a wink or a scowl, and playing little riffs on his guitar in the meantime.

@RedLikeRoses @SomatoToup123 @vvamavi @razorstar

Bruno McCoy

The bassist stood on the edge of the stage, looking out at the crowd. A plethora of curses flipped through his mind like high swinging acrobats, terror swarming his mind like clouds of flies on roadkill in the middle of summer, anxiety cornering his rational mind like a tiger, nerves making him-

Nope.

He was not about to start doing that and freeze up.

Bruno bit the inside of his cheek until he could feel his eyes watering, then force his mouth into a seemingly relaxed grin and headed out on stage, nodding a soft greeting at anyone he recognized- or happened to be hot. He went to his spot, fingers pretending to play even if he wasn't making sound. He let out a warm chuckle, releasing a bit of his nervous energy. He couldn't help but watch Joel dance around, the next chuckle slightly more real. He began bobbing slightly up and down, tapping a single foot as he tried to get down the beat for the first song.

Eileen King

Eileen pursed her lips, impressed with Daniel's (@SomatoToup123) reply. She started to smile, shaking her head as she did so. Truth was, as excited as she may have been to perform in front of all those people, it'd been a while since Eileen had to carry the weight of all those people's attention. "Just some butterflies," she said to herself. She laughed when Rose made a joke about warming up by texting, but went ahead and played a few chords on her keyboard anyway. When Joel and Bruno started towards the stage, Eileen bit her lip and took a breath. She looked at Daniel and Rose (@RedLikeRoses), shrugging and showing off her pearly whites. "Showtime, boys and girls!" She then grabbed the attention of a stage crew member, asking him to help her as she took her keyboard out onto the stage.

Daniel

Daniel only sighed. It was finally time to preform, the moment they'd all been waiting for. He ceased his light tapping with his sticks and let the crew move his drums out onto the stage. This was it, the crowd was gathered in front of them, expecting good music, and Daniel was determined to give it to them. He smiled a bit as Joel played with the crowd, and decided to play along too by winking at a few girls. Not that he was interested, but it was what the people expected to see from him. And what they wanted, he'd deliver. Once his drums were set up and he was done with playing around, Daniel sat in his chair and got ready to start the beat of the song, waiting for Rose (@RedLikeRoses) to give them the go to. He was excited, yes, but also calm because he couldn't believe how real this was. Like seriously, it was a dream come true.​

Rose

A shaky and uneven sigh escaped Rose's lips as she watched her friends take the stage. They seemed so calm, like they were pros, and Rose was standing behind the curtain as a nervous wreck. 'Alright, you've got this. Just be the person you've always wanted to be..' She thought to herself. 'You just need the calm attitude of the guys,' The girl took a deep breath and stepped out onto stage. 'Plus Eileen's (@vvamavi) confidence, minus your weirdness.. it should be the perfect formula for success.' Rose shook off her thoughts, and let a half grin cross her lips, as she listened to Joel's playing. He was doing a great job at rallying the crowd, something she definitely was never good at. The singer quickly made it to her microphone and pulled it off of the stand. "How're you guys doing tonight?" Rose called to the crowd, enthusiastically. More people started piling over to them, as the crowd responded in cheers.

"That's what I like to hear! Well, I guess I should welcome you to the summer bash with my big long speech..- Psyche. Let's get what to what you really want! Make some noise! We are Taming Nightmares, and we're about to blow the roof off this place!" The girl cheered. No one in the crowd took Rose's joke seriously, which was good, considering those that knew her well would probably expect a big long speech from her. The girl turned around briefly, looking at her band, especially Daniel (
@SomatoToup123), so they would start the song off. She mouthed the word "Numb," to remind them that it was the first song on their set list. Her grin broadened slightly as she looked at Joel (@Z Greatest001), Bruno (@razorstar), and the rest of her band. For once, her nervousness had become excitement. Rose turned back to the crowd, her expression becoming more neutral as the song began.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back