• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Not Sure Where To Post This....

MissingBolt

Inactive , But This Place Is In My Thoughts
So , Ive been slightly dead here on RPN recently , mainly because of lack of RP's , and Im sure thats the case for alot of people...well , another issue Ive had is during RP's , notifications not working , and I know that its not only me (several people have said something about it to me ) , thats why I normally RP through conversations , because Ive never had any issues with notifications for a Conversation , so I had an Idea , form a group of People into a conversation , and just have Rp's within the group , so you wouldnt have to worry about finding new people and all , so we could just go "Hey , guys , this sound good for our next Rp?....yea? okay , get them character sheets ready o3o" and be right off to it , but my issue is , Im not sure of where to post that...at first I was thinking in my journal , thing is , I doubt anyone reads it , plus its pretty far back in the pages by now (probably , made awhile ago) and so I was gonna post it in recruitment but none of the sections look fitting enough for it .-. so , sorry if theres already an answer to this somewhere I missed or if theres a section for this I missed xP

Notifications are working as they should; however, there are a few features about them that may make them appear like they aren't working if you aren't aware. For example, if a thread you're watching sends you a notification and you open the notification, but don't click on it to go to the page, the site assumes you are no longer interested in viewing that thread and turns off notifications for it. You can turn them back on by simply viewing the thread at any time. There is a nice tutorial on notifs and all their functions, which you can read about here.

As for your idea, it could definitely work, though I haven't really heard of anything like it because most people are a bit more selective about the plots they choose. You could try and advertise for something like that in interest checks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I have the same problem too. Sometimes I just don't get it which annoys me because I get either left behind in a rp or I lose a good one.

SilverSolis said:
Actually I have the same problem too. Sometimes I just don't get it which annoys me because I get either left behind in a rp or I lose a good one.
I highly recommend that you check out this guide, which Mordecai linked to above. It isn't too long, it's entertaining, and it's even helped me with staying on top of my alerts. Oftentimes users will miss their alerts and mistake it for the system being broken. When in doubt, I always check out the watched threads link, which will show a list of threads for any alerts you may not have checked. This will be under the main blue bar on just about any page pertaining to the forums and roleplays.

i read over this and i made sure the thread I was on was watched and I didn't get it at all. I use a chrome book so scrolling over it doesn't make it disapper, I have to click it on this and I never recieved it. I know this has been happening for me so Don't get me wrong, things break sometimes but the amount of times it has happened I no longer think it is 100% reliable. Heck, It happened yesterday for me. I made sure the thread was watched. I check it again later and there is already like 11 post so i know It isn't it.

SilverSolis said:
i read over this and i made sure the thread I was on was watched and I didn't get it at all. I use a chrome book so scrolling over it doesn't make it disapper, I have to click it on this and I never recieved it. I know this has been happening for me so Don't get me wrong, things break sometimes but the amount of times it has happened I no longer think it is 100% reliable. Heck, It happened yesterday for me. I made sure the thread was watched. I check it again later and there is already like 11 post so i know It isn't it.
You have to go back and click on the link to whatever thread you're watching. Just opening up the threads and making the notification disappear is not enough. If you get an alert for a thread and you don't click on it, then the system assumes you are no longer interested in the thread and will stop sending alerts for it. You have to click all your alerts or physically go to the thread and view it in order to get keep getting alerts.

Mordecai said:
Notifications are working as they should; however, there are a few features about them that may make them appear like they aren't working if you aren't aware. For example, if a thread you're watching sends you a notification and you open the notification, but don't click on it to go to the page, the site assumes you are no longer interested in viewing that thread and turns off notifications for it. You can turn them back on by simply viewing the thread at any time. There is a nice tutorial on notifs and all their functions, which you can read about here.
As for your idea, it could definitely work, though I haven't really heard of anything like it because most people are a bit more selective about the plots they choose. You could try and advertise for something like that in interest checks.
xP thanks , I get understand that , I just mean make the plot inside with the entire group so we're all satisfyed and I have a few people I sure would join , just issue is , an RP doesnt really get much Diversity when theirs only 3 or 4 people most of the time , anyway , thanks for your help! :3

SilverSolis said:
But I didn't get an alert in the first place. Thats the problem
It might be from an old alert. Try unwatching and rewatching the thread? (link at the top right of the thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back