• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Nostalgia | atom* and the fool

The irony that out of the two of them, he would be more likely to be the serial killer in the relationship, was not lost on him. But that was besides the point.

Nathan dropped his hand against the back of his neck and stared into the fire, “That’s probably Jay’s doing. Stick around a guy like him as long as I have, some of that’s bound to rub off on you.”

Jayce wasn’t actually a massive sleaze. In fact, the idea that he was a womanizing asshole was something Jayce sort of leaned into as a defense mechanism. He was kind. A puppy dog with a bleeding heart. But yeah, he knew how to flirt. He knew how attractive he was. Jay was just addicted to that physical connection he could only get through sex. Nathan had seen the way that lonely man sat on the couch and just stared at nothing for hours on end. And he had the saddest smile whenever Nate stirred him out of whatever nightmare he was stuck reliving.

But Nate? He’d never seen himself as smooth like Jayce. Effortless. Confident. Jayce had a confidence when he flirted that Nathan found baffling. And he certainly did not feel that way when he flirted with Evie. Not when everything that left his mouth was followed by an internal question about whether or not he was doing this right. Apparently, he was.

Good. That was good.

When Evie stood up, Nathan stopped pacing to face her. His head cocked to the side curiously. She was looking up. Not at him. Nathan looked up too. Even the starry night sky wasn’t as captivating as the view down below. Or as engaging. “Cool. We’re on the same page, then,” he smiled, “I mean about being glad I asked you out. And… a second date! We should do that. If I don’t fuck up this one by the end of it. Which remains to be… determined.”

He hopped over to Evie, grabbed her shoulders, and turned her around to face the stack of cars, “Gonna take you up there. This is how you know I’m a fraud. I’m just stealing Jay’s moves. But it’s worth it. You can see the city skyline from there.”

Evangeline's mouth dropped as he suggested they would climb up the stack of cars. Considering her outfit, she had not anticipated climbing. At least she had leggings under the skirt and that the ankle boots were somewhat reasonable to climb in. Her mind was screaming at her to double back. Say thanks but no thanks. Maybe next time when she wore jeans and a pair of worn out sneakers. Her body leaned into his hands as he inched them forward in that direction, “Are you sure its safe? It looks rather rickety..”

That's when she realized his hands were on her shoulder. His grip was gentle but firm. Was he trying to look up her skirt? Didn’t he mention that Jayce slept with girls up there? She turned to face him completely red, “I’m scared of heights. Slightly.. Maybe you should lead first? So I can follow your steps?” That was a polite way of saving embarrassment for the both of them. Right? Wait a minute… he said he’d like to go on a second date.. Her eyes met his lighting up with excitement, “Wait, You really can see the skyline?”

Nate was definitely expecting some blowback when it came to getting Evangeline to climb the car stack. He did note that she wasn’t exactly in climbing gear. Definitely beautiful, but he’d be a little sorry if she ended up ripping her dress. So naturally, when she suggested that he show her the way, he nodded.

He definitely didn’t know Evangeline was thinking he meant Jayce had taken girls up there for sex. He probably should have phrased it better. That Jayce took the people he actually cared about up there. His friend certainly had better and much more comfortable places to take girls for a quick fuck that didn’t risk getting tetanus.

“Come on,” he chuckled a little in good spirits when she finally showed interest at the mention of HC’s skyline. “It’s not that hard. I’ll show you.”

Nathan rounded the back of the stack of cars where there were fairly obvious foot and hand holds. He was slow and careful, making sure Evie would see where he grabbed and held onto. In the end, it wasn’t a hard climb at all. It just looked intimidating. He stopped at the top and turned to reach a hand down to help Evie up the rest of the way, “It’s safe. Promise. And yeah, look..” he was immediately pointing over the horizon of the desert.

The brilliant line of towers and skyscraper cut a scene across the night sky. Above them, they had their own show of stars without light pollution. “There’s the Townhouse,” he pointed at the tallest tower in the skyline. Townsend Industries had begun in that tower. The Constellation was the second tallest tower in HC followed closely by Porter Pharmacueticals. “Pretty cool, huh?”

Evangeline was careful with each step as she followed him up the stack of cars. She did her best not to flinch at each sound of creaking metal. If she stayed focused on each hand placement, then she wouldn’t have to be fearful of falling. Flying or being in the sky never frightened like cliffs did. She didn’t have to look down if she didn’t want to when flying over land. On a cliff or a tower, the temptation to look down was unavoidable. But as she followed Nathan, it didn’t feel like a trek up a mountain. As they neared the top she took his offered hand and stood close to him. The view was pretty. The city, though far away, shined brightly. It was nice to see for a change rather than be a part of it. She could see herself moving somewhere quiet one day. Away from any kind noise and expectations.

Yes, it’s very cool.. Being this far away makes it seem as though our problems are too.” She said as she moved to sit down. Her hand patted to the empty space next to her. “You know, if I had any artistic abilities I would draw something like this. Or take a photo at least. My friend Sibella takes these amazing aerial views of the city. It's actually one of her goals to get to the top of the Townhouse building. She's tried multiple times but the security there is intense. Or so she tells me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back