• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Nostalgia | atom* and the fool

Evangeline had almost forgot about Nathan's.... friend driving the car until she caught him glimpse at the two of them through the mirror. Thats when she was reminded about her current situation. Random strangers, an unknown location, and a quick drive to remind her of her past life. Sibella would have been screaming at her. Her aunt would have had the national guard searching for her. Then once found, Aunt Mavis would proceed to lock her up in a catholic convent somewhere in France away from hooligans. Her aunt often used that word to descibe peopke like her room mates and well Nathan and his... friend. She probably considered Evangeline as one as well now.

Evangeline averted her eyes from both of the boys. He was right of course. She didnt have to explain. But she didnt want him to think she was hiding things. Thats what ruined her only relationship she ever had and well it was what ruined her relationship with her aunt. Evangeline kept a smile on her face as the wheels in her mind went well past ten million miles per hour. Why was she like this. Why did she have to care about what others tho. Evangeline sat up figuring it was finally safe to do soht of her and why did she have to think about the what if. She finally sat up when she felt the car stop. "I understand but.... You live at the Porter estate?" Her fingers smoothed down her hair as her eyes scanned the scenery out the window.

Evangeline had only seen the gates in passing before. Never had she been able to see what lied behind until now. It was quiet surprising to see. Her aunt had been here a few times for parties or gatherings but that was when Gabriel Porter was alive. Now though, no one really knew what went on at the estate anymore. She knew that Jayce Porter, Gabriel step son, was in charge of everything now. So did that mean, Nathan was his friend? Was he related to him some how? "All? I just thought Jayce Porter lived here now...."

Nathan was proud to know Jayce Atk- Porter. It was actually strange to hear somebody call his friend Porter. To anybody that had ever known Jayce before the boy took his step father’s place as the CEO of Porter Pharmaceuticals, had known him as Atkins. Nobody ever called Jayce by his birth name, Holland. Whether that was out of respect or something else, Nate didn’t know. He did know that Jayce often came home with a headache and a frown these days. He was darker each day Townsend had him work a job. He was more tired every day some rich bastard tried to bend the poor man’s arm. But nobody would have thought that the ex soldier and alleged Redcon 6 agent would turn into a kickass businessman.

Say what you will about the eccentric manner in which Jayce went about his life, he was an accomplished young man. He had status not only because of the company he kept, but of the actions he chose to pursue. Huxler tapped the steering wheel impatiently. If he thought the thief was going to get out and open the door for Nathan and Evie, he was dead wrong. So Nate smiled at her sheepishly and shrugged, “It’s complicated. Promise I’ll have a better explanation at some point.” He got out and moved around the car to open the door for his date. Was this too formal? Maybe she expected him to since she seemed to live with this whole crowd.

She knew that this was the Porter Estate, huh? Well, who didn’t know who’s house this was? But not everybody knew the name of the man who lived here. Most kids from the Village or average middle class homes couldn’t be bothered to know who was who over in the Heights. He tried not to feel a little intimidated by the girl all of a sudden. When he let the girl out, he shoved his hands in his pockets. Huxler rolled down the window, “Take care Natty Boy, eh? And tell Smiles I said hi, if he’s home.” Nathan offered a polite smile in return even if he still didn’t fully trust Hux all that much. A thief was always a thief. “Yeah, I will. Thanks for the ride Washington.”

He caught the man sticking a finger and mimicking a gag at the sound of his last name as he drove away. Hell, it got the younger Griffith to chuckle. He turned back to Evangeline. “Smiles,” he repeated, “That’d be Jayce? Have you ever met him? He’s uh... He’s not really like the rest of the businessmen and women of the Holden County. I mean, not that I think that’s a bad thing... They’re great! Really!” God, What was he even talking about? Nathan closed his lips and puffed out his cheeks, following his head as it dipped forward to lead them awkwardly to the house.

Inside, it was warm and lively. A man with red hair and an apron passed them almost immediately with a big bag of French rolls in his arms. He’d come up from the kitchens most likely. He stopped when he saw Nathan. “Nat! I’m making soup.”

“Soup!” Nathan grinned, flashing Hugo a warm smile. But he raised a brow, “So the bread?”

“And sandwiches.”

“Ah,” The boy nodded, “Have you seen Jayce?”

Hugo almost dropped the loaves of bread as he attempted to comically scratch the top of his head. Hugo Thompson was a large lumberjack of a man who reminded Nathan of Hagrid if Hagrid had been equipped with wirey red hair and freckles. He was the head cook or chef or whatever. He was a good cook and Jayce had him brought on from Townsend’s staff. They were good friends as far as Nate knew. But then, who wasn’t friends with Jayce? “Ya know, I think he’s in his office.”

Nathan sighed in relief, “Thank God, that makes it easy. See ya, Hugo.”

The man grunted and didn’t even pay Evangeline an ounce of attention. That wasn’t really odd behavior. Lots of people care and went with the company that Atkins kept. A pretty girl by the arm of Nathan Griffith wasn’t the strangest sight to see at an Estate like this. “To the office. Sorry about the people here. Jayce doesn’t really preach manners to the staff.”

Evangeline only nodded as Nathan excited the car. "Thank you for the ride it was nice meeting you..." Her hand went to open the door but to her surprise it was opened for her and Nathan was waiting for her to get out. His friend didn't respond to her as she stepped out but that didn't bother her much as the fact that Nathan seemed to be nervous. But this type of nervousness was something she had seen only in the people who ever met her when she was by her aunts side. Him avoiding eye contact and compensating to make sure her feelings weren't hurt only confirmed to her that he was uncomfortable with her having a past in the heights. "It's fine, you don't have to explain to me if you don't want to. It is the first date after all, so we shouldn't have to tell each other our whole life story... Unless that is something you would want to know. Than I guess I'm open to talking about it. I don't have really anything to hide.. "

Dear god Evie stop talking.

Evangeline could feel her heart sink as she sighed afterwards. Regret was already settling inside her as he led her to the main house. He wasn't comfortable dating someone like her. That had to be it. Now he was just being polite until she had to leave. Maybe that's why he took her to his home? Hell, maybe it was a set up and her aunt was waiting behind the double doors.... Now that's just ridiculous Evie... Stop it. "Um.. No I've never officially met him. But I have heard the rumors about his unorthodox way of handling businesses. It's caused quiet the stir, among the community.... Or so I've heard.. I'm not so much involved with the heights these days...." Please understand what I'm trying to say.

As they stepped foot into the house, Evangeline was reminded of the life she left. Though the interior was not at all similar to her Aunts home. White marble walls and floors built the establishment but everything Evie was looking at screamed modern. In her opinion Evangeline liked Nathan's home far more than she liked her aunts. There was something different about it. Where was the tension between lord and servant? From what she could tell no servants were bustling around making sure everything was polished cleaned and that dust did not exist in the home. Not to say that the home looked dirty, because it didn't at all. Evangeline took a step back immediately when she saw the burly man with red hair walk out in front of the two of them. She stood behind Nathan staying silent as he conversed with the man she could only assume was the chef. Nathan didn't address him as the mans occupation but by his name. He's on a first name basis with the staff?

When Hugo left Evangeline smiled politely at the man not certain on whether or not she needed to say goodbye to the man. "No need to apologize. I don't mind.... So we are going to see Jayce?"

Nathan didn’t really know what to say when Evie explained that she didn’t have anything to his. Ha! Wasn’t that just fantastic, right? He was so glad that this pretty girl had nothing to hide about her life. He was nervous, not because she came from the Heights, but because he should not be taking her here. He shouldn’t be talking to her. Crushing on her. Jayce would tell him not to worry about what it was that Nathan did. He would say, ‘If she does because of you, she dies. Big deal. Get another one.’ You know, there was a time when Jayce would have given advice of a different kind. But as eccentric as the man was these days, he was getting colder every day.

It was thoughts like this. Death! He was thinking about this girl’s death on the first date. News flash! That wasn’t fucking normal. When you’ve grown up almost your whole life in a rotten home and an even rottener neighborhood, it was easy to forget that he didn’t live like a normal person. His normal was dark, and that had turned out to be something to turn a cheek to. Jayce had lost more people than Nathan could name on the top of his head. Nathan had lost his whole family if he had to be honest with himself. Losing people was supposed to be a second thought. You didn’t shake somebody’s hand in the Neighborhood as a greeting, you shook their hand as a guarantee that both parties had lost somebody important to them.

So, for all intents and purposes, he smiled politely when Evie spoke of their life stories. “Ha, yeah. I’ll keep that in mind. Don’t really have anything to hide, either,” the boy grinned, rubbing the back of his neck. He supposed that was yet another difference between himself and his older brother. Owen didn’t lie. Nathan would lie about the breakfast he had that morning. He raised a curious brow when she mentioned that she wasn’t much involved with the Heights either. Huh. He wouldn’t question her on what that meant. It let him relax a little though.

Hugo let them be and Nathan nodded when she asked if they were going to see Jayce. Unfortunately, probably for both of them, they were. Jayce didn’t care if Nate drove without a license, but he had to personally ask if he wanted to take one of the cars. It was their deal. In a way, Jayce was like that big brother who’d let you drink as long as you were responsible. Owen was strange. He would never let Nathan drink. But Owen was his blood brother and it saddened him to know that the man who wouldn’t let Nathan move back home was the person that cared about him most in the world.

Nathan slipped his hands into his pockets, smiling sheepishly, “Yeah. He’s upstairs. Come on.” The boy lead them through the rest of the house. Luckily, he didn’t run into anybody else on the way there. Nathan knocked on the door to Jay’s office. The response was a little slow, “Yup. Come on in. Wait... unless it’s you Cass. I don’t want to talk to you right now.” Cass. It took Nathan a moment to figure he was talking about Cassandra. It was an easy mistake to make considering the very important and pretty nonexistent Cas in Jay’s life. Nathan pushed the doors open, “Nope just me. Wait out here for just a second, Evie?”

Jay’s response was immediate, “Ew. You? I prefer Cass, actually.” Nathan laughed and rolled his eyes, “Oh shut up— Jesus Christ, Jayce.” He was quick to block any sight of his troublesome friend from Evangeline. Nathan shut the door almost too quickly because Jay was wearing a bloody shirt. He had a black eye and his lip was pretty swollen. As if the man was completely unaware of his current state, Nathan watched him pout thoughtfully, “Weren’t you going on a little date, today?”

Nathan hurried over to grab at Jay’s shirt collar, “Yes asshole. And she’s here. So can you please take this off?”

“Kinky. You think she’s into three ways?”

Nathan’s dude quickly shortened in the mere second that was spent dealing with this carefree gang leader. God, why did he ever have to get involved with Jayce fucking Atkins? To his relief, Jayce pulled off the white bloodied shirt. “Sorry ‘bout my face, Natalie.”

“Yeah yeah,” Nathan sighed, moving to the closet Jayce had in his office. Sometimes the guy literally lived in this room. It was his office, true. But Nathan remember a week where Jayce literally went in and didn’t come out until six days later. People just brought him food. And he had spare jackets and shirts in the closet. Nathan tossed the Black T-shirt over to Jayce, “Just put that on, dude.”

The only injury Jayce had looked like it was on his face. His torso was clean for the most part. “Does Townsend really have you doing jobs in the middle of the day, now?” The man smiled, the good nature completely drowned out to be replaced by a dark bitterness, “Of course.” The he stood up and did a little turn for Nathan, “Alright, how do I look kiddo?” Nate cocked brow, folding his arms, “Like a million bucks.”

“I’m insulted. I’m worth at least twenty more than that. Okay, let’s see this girl you like so much.” Nathan rolled his eyes and moved over to the door and opened it cautiously. “Hey, come on in. Sorry Evie. He’s... Yeah. This is Jayce.”

“Pleased to meet you, Evangeline St. James. Tell me, how’s your aunt? Doing well?”

Last edited:
Evangeline followed Nathan closely but focused on the decor around her. It was hard to imagine that so much natural light was allowed in. Her old home was always dark to her. With thick curtains, 100-year-old tapestries and rugs it felt refreshing to see the exact opposite. Things were quiet between the two for the most part as they walked towards wherever Jayce’s office was. She wouldn’t lie, Evangeline seemed more nervous with each step they took. Her hands were balled up into fists to keep from nervously fidgeting with them. Her aunt’s condescending voice began to echo in her ears, Remember Evangeline, A lady does not fidget or even remotely allow anyone - male or female - to know they are nervous. If you can not help but to fidget, however, disguise it. For example, you are on an outing in spring with your close companions and…. Evangeline… Are you listening?

Yup. Come on in. Wait... unless it’s you, Cass. I don’t want to talk to you right now.

Hearing Jayce Porter’s voice from behind the door made her realize that they had finally arrived at his office. Evangeline smiled nervously looking at Nathan to know what to do next. Part of her now was beginning to wish that she was meeting someone who didn’t have the reputation of being completely different than those her aunt associated herself with. Those people she understood how to communicate with. Throwing fancy words about world events, or some other pompous topic usually worked for her. Not that she had preferred to talk with those whose persona was completely asinine, she just felt more confident talking with those she knew how to talk with. After leaving her aunt's home, it struck Evie almost instantly that talking normally was difficult. Living with Sibella, Skye, and Maura had definitely helped her improve though.

Evangeline nodded her head to Nathan as he asked her to wait outside. She took a step back as she heard Nathan begin to talk with Jayce. When the door shut behind him Evangeline took a cautionary step back to give them more privacy. The white doors reminded her of the large dark wooden doors to her aunt's study but less intimidating. So many times when she was younger she used to dread being called to talk with her aunt in her study. It was almost always about something she had done wrong. Her aunt never praised her for her successes really. Young Evie would sit on the uncomfortable antique chairs across sitting straight, legs swinging just above the ground, and her eyes cast to the ground dreading what would lie behind the doors when they opened. That same feeling she had felt all those years ago had resurfaced now. To try and get her mind off of it, Evangeline looks out the window and at the estates ground.

That was one thing she did miss about her aunt's home. Living in the city had its perk, but its definite loss was the fact it was all buildings and no foliage. At the St. James mansion her aunt had a large conservatory she built when Evangeline was about six or seven years old. It was a magical place to Evangeline, even when she was older it was one of her favorite places to be. With a glass roof, it was a pure paradise in the dreary home. Light was welcomed there. When her aunt was away and the staff was all asleep, Evangeline used to sneak down with her blankets and stuffed bear to look at the night sky. Eventually, that stopped though when she had fallen asleep down there and her aunt discovered her the next day.

At the sound of Nathan’s voice, Evangeline is ripped from her inner thoughts. Her heart races as she forms a worried smile. She stepped into the doorway and is caught off guard by Jayce and his questions.

He knew who she was.

How did he know? She hadn’t told Nathan her last name or about her aunt. So how would this man in front of her have the slightest clue about either? Maybe he wasn’t so different than those that lived in the Heights. She takes another cautious step into the office and stands just a few feet away from both of the boys. Evangeline was skeptical of the entire situation now. Was Nathan lying? Did he really know who she was? Was this some kind of set up? Was her aunt on her way to confront her with another secret she had to control her life. Maybe she had already been married off to some man in France far older than her and Nathan and Jayce was only here to make sure she got in the car this time. A little far-fetched, but nothing her aunt did these days seemed sane anymore.

Her eyes focus on Jayce, taking note of the black eye and swollen lips he was sporting. No society man would have been caught dead in that kind of state. It would be scandalous, and irregular. The rumors about Jayce Porter had to be true now, he truly was unorthodox. “My aunt and I are not on speaking terms at the moment. So I wouldn’t be able to tell you… But I’m sure you knew that Mr. Porter. It is a pleasure to meet you as well, however. ” Evangeline’s voice was shaky as she spoke. She wasn’t sure if Jayce Porter kept up with the heights gossip but it wouldn’t surprise her if he found out through a different source.

Reminded that she was not here to discuss her aunt and her former life, Evangeline looks at Nathan. What he was thinking she was not sure. Part of her hoped that Jayce didn't know everything. She didn't want Nathan to know the whole truth. Not yet. It was the first date after all...

Jayce took a long hard look at the girl standing in his office. His expression was easy, as if he weren’t speeding through a billion thoughts at the same time in his head. Nathan knew that’s exactly what was going through his friend’s mind. He was wondering the same thing as Evie, probably. How did that bitch know who she was. He wondered if it was Huxler. Maybe. But that would hardly make sense, and even if Huxler did have time to send a message, he wouldn’t have. Hux didn’t necessarily go out of his way to do things for other people. You learned to just accept that about him after a while. Nathan still would never really accept that man, though — not after what he did.

However, ruling out Huxler, he turned to look at Evangeline. Why did she look so nervous? It wasn’t like he was introducing her to his parents or anything. Nathan could only laugh at the idea of her meeting Walter. Nate hadn’t seen the man since last month. He’d never tell Owen that. He wouldn’t tell Owen a lot of things. It was weird, when you really thought about it. Nathan was keeping secrets from his older brother now. Never used to be that way. And it didn’t matter that Owen didn’t really have secrets from Nate anymore. The younger Griffith still hated keeping things from Owen. But it was best that he did, and by knowing that, he could understand why Owen wanted to keep Nathan away when they were younger. He should have just listened.

Jayce finally spoke, his smile brightening the room even though he looked like he’d just walked out of a fight. “Oh really?” He genuinely looked surprised. It wasn’t his job to keep track of relationships, so Jayce hadn’t any idea what was going on in the St. James household. But it was his job to know people. And he was damn good at that — memorizing faces, placing names, remembering odd facts about those faces and names. Evangeline really shouldn’t be too surprised that he knew her face even if they’d never met. His lip kinda did that twitchy thing when Evie called him Mr. Porter. Nathan had to keep back his smile.

“Well, I’m happy to hear that, no offense to your aunt or anything.” The eldest waved his hand dismissively as he moved back to his desk. Nathan saw it at the same time that Jayce did, but unlike Nathan, Jay reacted as if there was nothing wrong with having a gun out in the open on a desk. Nate cleared his throat, but was interrupted by Jayce who stole Evangeline’s attention again, “That woman. Women.” He rolled his eyes as if that was all he had to say on the matter to get the point across. “In any case, call me Jayce. I ain’t that much older than you two. And I’m definitely not mentally older than you two.” He smiled wide, shifting his body in front of the gun so Nathan would stop staring at it like a fucking weirdo.

Nate did laugh though, completely agreeing with that statement. Jayce was a child in a man’s body. Just, you know. A man child that killed lots of people. “So, what can I do for you two kiddos today? Nathan, I told you, no more allowances. You’re a grown boy. Get a job.”

“Oh shut up,” he rolled his eyes, glaring at him for saying that. Nathan did have a job. Just... not one he could talk about. Still... there was something sincere about the way Jayce had said that. He did shit like that. He’d make a joke but only to put an idea in somebody’s head. You could tell by the look he gave you afterwards. “Okay, but like, can I borrow the car, dad?” Jayce looked appalled that Nathan would even ask. That faded away quickly though as he responded in good nature, “Sure thing, bud. Can I ask where you’re going?” Looking to Evangeline, Jayce grinned as he tossed an arm around Nathan in one of his obnoxious headlocky hugs, “See, I only ask because one time he took his girlfriend to the beach for three days.” Nathan’s eyes widened and he shoved his elbow into the older man’s ribs. Jayce was stronger though, and he held onto his death hug.

“Ex. My ex girlfriend, you douche. And no, it’s a surprise. Now give me the keys,” his cheeks were red with either anger or embaressment. At this point, showing Evie to Jayce was probably more risky than his parents. Atkins was grinning widely, but he reached into his pockets and pulled out a set of keys, “Say the magic words.”

“Screw you?”

“Oh come on, don’t be mean.”

“Fine. Pretty please?”

“With...?”

Under his breath, and trapped in an ex-soldiers headlock, he muttered, “with a cherry flavored dick on top. Really Jayce?”

His older brot— friend smirked because he’d gotten his way, dropping the keys into Nathan’s waiting palm. As soon as they were in his hand, he gave the other one last hard push and broke away. Jayce was beaming at Nathan when he saw him shift back in place beside Evie. “Be good to him, yeah?” He spoke to the girl with a little more sincerity, “He’s a little rough around the edges for what you’re probably used to.” Yeah. Just a little. Jay’s smile warmed up considerably, “But he’s got a good heart. Better than most people I’ve ever had to deal with before.” And then Jayce looked a little saddened by that thought. He remembered the conversation they had a while ago. Jay had wanted to send Nathan off to school, get him out of this life. Get him out of the county. But Nathan couldn’t do that and they both knew it. And unlike Nathan, Jayce didn’t know what it was like to have a brother like Owen... or any siblings for that matter. Nathan couldn’t leave Owen. Kind of shitty, but his bro came first in every possible universe.

When her attention was back on Jayce she made sure she didn’t break eye contact with the man. Part of her was determined not to look submissive for once. She wasn’t comfortable just yet but her shoulders did lose some tension once he began to speak. Thank god, she isn’t here... She had to smile at his comment about her aunt. No one in the heights would have regarded her aunt as ‘that woman’. But it was the best way anyone could describe Mavis St. James. “None taken,” she responds before letting out the breath she hadn’t noticed she was holding. It was strange to see a man smiling and acting so casual with an unattractive black eye. Evangeline found it hard not to stare at it.

Evangeline was quiet as the two exchanged words but was amused nonetheless. Jayce Porter was definitely a unique human being. She could see how her aunt hated him. Watching them she could see them having somewhat of a brotherly relationship rather than Father and Son friendship... If that was even a thing? Evangeline shifted her weight onto her other leg as her feet began to grow uncomfortable in her heel boots. Dammit, Maura... Granted if she knew they were going somewhere else aside from the coffee shop she would have worn more suitable shoes. Wait, what? The girl raised a curious brow at the two in front of her now. Deep down she had to admit that she wasn’t surprised something like this was brought up. They had run into Heather who he knew as well, her aunt was brought up, and now Jayce was explaining to her about Nathan and his - ah ex-girlfriend... She wondered for a moment if it was Heather he went with. If she was an ex? She hadn’t exactly asked him but assumed since he had known her...

Heather would have definitely tried to clamp her claws into him no? Nathan was attractive... She glimpsed at the boy stuck in a hold by the older man-child. Even when being forced to speak inappropriately he was adorable to her. However, Heather wasn't necessary attracted to a boy being adorable. She was attracted to money or status or anything Evangeline had. Would that make her come back to Nathan? Would she take him on a weekend to the beach to reminisce about old times together?

Oh, that would be perfect. So perfect. This date is full of so many exciting new fun facts.

Jayce voice grabbed her attention again pushing all thoughts of Heather and beaches out of her mind. What he was saying was sincere, even after mentioning her aunt and her dates weekend getaway with his ex girlfriend. Still she wasn’t sure if that was meant to discourage her from actually pursuing Nathan. Vlad wasn’t like Nathan. He had a more serious, insecure, and possessive personality. He was vain, selfish, and more importantly a liar. Nathan, however, was more warm to her and possible everything Vlad wasn't though that was to early to assume. Trusting people wasn't as easy as it used to be.

Even if this date had all sorts of interruptions and bumps, he was still making an effort she thought to make her comfortable. In a strange way that is. She didn’t exactly understand how Nathan could be rough around the edges with his personality. When he stands next to her, she wondered if he was as anxious to leave as she was. Not that talking with Jayce had been horrible. But personally, she didn't want to hear anything more about Exes or have thoughts of Heather ruining a potentially good thing with Nathan. Whether it would end up with them just being friends. Nathan was different and she personally didn't want to not be friends with someone like him.

Evangeline gave Jayce a nod as she pushed her hair behind her ears, “I’ll be sure to be. It was nice to meet you Jayce.” Despite all her thoughts and worries that seemed to be implemented into her brain by Jayce, she gives him a smile before her hand made its way into Nathan's free hand. It was true, this was definitely not in her nature to make a move. But maybe it was a move needed to bring this date back on track. Is this too much? Oh god. I should have thought this through.

Nathan couldn’t understand why he was so instantly self conscious about having Jayce bring up any exes around this girl. For one, he seriously didn’t want to think about her. Why would he want to think about her when he was trying to get this girl to trust him. Jayce was a good guy. But a part of him wished that he wouldn’t be so supportive of this. A part of him yearned to be called an absolute idiot. Okay, that sounded weird. But Owen would call him an idiot. Owen might even have called him an asshole for simply thinking about somebody from ‘the real world’. He was actively lying to this girl, putting her in danger, and hoping for her trust all at the same time.

Did that really make him a good person with a good heart? He liked her, though. He’d had this stupid pointless crush for a long time. Stupid, because he didn’t know her. Pointless, because he knew that it was going to end badly. But then he met her, and she was really damn gorgeous. And weird. She was a little weird, but he was totally into it. He was also intimidated, but not as much as he’d been before. Jayce folded his arms, letting the small little smile rest a bit as he looked Nathan up and down. What are you thinking?

Before he could actually form any other opinion, a wave of goosbumps shot up his arms from his fingers. You know when you brush shoulders or have any contact whatsoever with somebody you liked? You know that warm nervous feeling you got? Wondering if they felt something to? Well, thanks to this girl, those feelings were multiplied by a billion in one second. Nate looked down, the poster child of cool and collected. Yeah, okay. So she was, like, holding his hand or whatever. That’s cool. No big deal.

Jayce laughed because he’s an ass. But he also helped to snap Nathan out of his thoughts, covering the younger Griffith’s awkwardness. Wow, yeah. Nothing more convincing than hand holding,” he rolled his eyes, but his words were all in good nature, “You kids have fun on your date. Natty, if you need anything, gimme a ring, alright?” Jayce flicked his hand through the air, signaling for the little ones to get out of his office. Nate was more than happy to obey.

He got his words out just before he gently pulled Evie out of the office, “Yeah. Same goes for you, put some ice on that eye, dude.” He closed the door behind him and was suddenly left outside in the hall with Evangeline. His hand was still in hers, because as anxious as he was, he really liked holding her hand. But seriously, he had to shake off some nerves. Girls didn’t like this nervous guy bullshit. Easier said than done. Well, he actually did crack a little smile, tilting his head to look at her, “Holding my hand, already? Ms. St James? How scandalous.

He hoped his tease sounded harmless, and he gave the girl’s hand a little squeeze to reassure her that this was okay. Looking down, he looked at her hand in his, face passive as he let a small smile take over his lips. “And I thought I was tan.” His fingers entwined with hers looked incredibly pale even though Nathan was probably a little tanner than most of his white classmates. After all, his family had grown their roots in the hot sun of the diamond coast. Nathan took a breath, his shoulders popping up and down to signal that he was good to go, “Alright. Let’s go.”

The older boy bumped his shoulder against hers and set off through the house. They weren’t bothered by any of the staff on the way out. Only when they got out of the giant mansion did somebody finally bother them. He came barreling out from the back of the corner, ears flapping wildly around his eyes and slobber streaming from his mouth like jet trails. Nate’s eyes widened and he stepped in front of Evie since he knew what that dog was capable, dropping her hand. Axel leapt up and slammed into Nathan’s chest, leaving the boy breathless as he stood his ground.

Axehole wasn’t really a violent dog, but he was sometimes nervous and unpredictable around strangers. He was also terribly old, his snout gray with age. That still didn’t mean he wasn’t strong — a pit bull, boxer mix. Nathan laughed and wrapped his arms around the bear who was standing up on hind legs and trying to wag its spindly tail at the same time. Nathan’s face lit up, grinning from ear to ear as he slipped into ‘dog talk’. The dog’s oblivious joy was always contagious and while he knew that Jayce was still a little uneasy about the mutt, Nathan loved the dumb violent thing. When he remembered that Evie was there, he laughed and looked back, dropping the pup. It hopped around him playfully before prancing to the girl. “I think he likes you, but he’s a dog so it’s not that impressive,” the boy smirked, throwing an arm around the girl’s shoulders in a totally casual manner. Still, he cocked his head, “You’re not a cat person, are you? My bro hates cats. Thinks they’re bitchy and pointless.”

Without paying much attention to it, her free hand waved goodbye to Jayce as Nathan led her out. Her head felt dizzy for a moment as if she were out of her body? Was she in shock since he hadn’t denied her hand? Or was it because the feeling in her hand was completely elated? Nathan’s voice brought her out of her head after they exited the office. Her face blushed as she tried to hide the nervousness his comment gave her. In reality it was already scandalous for her to be on a date with him when she was supposed to be engaged to someone like the people outside the Porter estate. Leaving with a non blue blood to a secret location was probably the cherry on top of the scandalous mountain she was building. Her eyes fall onto their hands as his squeezes hers.

She finally manages a smile and laughs at his comment her blush practically consuming her entire face. For a moment she thinks about commenting on him getting more sun. However the image of him lounging on a towel and with a certain blonde fill her mind at the beach feel her mind. Yet the thought was literally pushed out of her mind when she felt him bump her shoulder gently. Her smile grew more and soon enough she was being led back out of the house.

Evangeline looked up at the sky noticing that the storm clouds were still above them but not letting any rain come down. Her hand becomes cold when his hand leaves her and almost instantly did she want to grab ahold of it again. However when a dog had jumped onto Nathan, she understood why he did drop her hand. Evangeline took a small step back from the two unsure if the dog was violent or not. Her heart raced a little frightened that it was going to attack Nathan. However, it seemed to be the exact opposite.

Growing up Evangeline had never been around animals or allowed to have any as a pet. Sure her aunt had purebred racing horses. But Evangeline knew well that those were more investments than a recreational animal. Then there were the few times she accompanied her school to the aquarium when she was younger. Which was probably the best animal experience she had ever encountered. But as for dogs, Evangeline could only remember the ones her aunts friends had when she was required to accompany her aunt to their homes. Remember those phrases about humans being like their pets? Well Evangeline knew that was a true expression. Because the few of her aunts friends who did have pedigree pooches were just like their owners - cold and unfriendly. It was sad to even think that the Heights didn’t only steal the souls of its people, but its animals as well.

Evangeline was unsure of what to do when she saw the dog come into her direction and when Nathan through her arm around her shoulder. She was stiff, trying to keep her anxious feelings from causing the dog to dislike her. Didn’t they sense fear? But aside from that her face, which was finally beginning to calm down from her earlier blush, began to relapse. He was close to her and she hadn’t even realized she was a little cold despite wearing her coat still. It was a nice warmth he gave her however. Her eyes got big as the dog looked at her with a tilted head. Evangeline cautiously extended a hand towards him for him to sniff. “How can you tell he does?” As the dog sniffed her hand she felt herself lean a bit into Nathan cautiously. However with one simple lick on her hand she relaxes and goes to pet him. He was cute, she had to admit for a dog.

I can’t say that I’ve been around animals all to much in my life. I believe my roommate had one before I moved in, but I’m not quite sure what happened to him (Remember Skye’s white cat in our first rp together?) A cat I mean. She had a cat. So I don’t really know if I’m a cat or a dog person.” As she kept petting him she gradually used both hands as he seemed to be clearly enjoying the attention. “What’s this little guys name?”

Nathan stood passively as Evie cautiously reached down to let the old guy sniff her hand. Silently, he willed Axel to behave. This whole day had been a little rocky from the beginning without having to take her in to see Sophia for a dog bite. In the back of his mind, he wondered what Sparrow was up to. He hadn’t seen the kid since he brought her home. Knowing her though, she was probably sulking in her bedroom. Jayce always came back from jobs with some kind of toy or souvenir for her. Nathan was teaching her the ukulele (he thought it fit her more than a guitar). It wasn’t strange for him to come home late at night and hear her practicing in her room. It also wasn’t strange for her to come into his bedroom when Jayce hadn’t come home for a few days.

An ache in the younger Griffith’s heart made him want to check on the younger girl. He was compulsive like that. But knowing things were fine, hoping Sparrow hadn’t seen her dad come home in the state he was in, he allowed his focus to remain on Evangeline. Or rather, he got distracted when she leaned into him. The subtle smile that played his lips brightened a little, “We call him Axehole. But his original owner... uh, Jay’s stepdad, named him Axel.”

Axel accepted the girl’s hand as happy as a dumb dog could, and Nate took that as their cue to move along. He vaguely wondered if they were still on a hand holding basis, or whether the moment had passed. “I never had a pet growing up either,” he informed her, making the decision to casually remove his arm from her shoulders and take her hand back. You know, for easier walking. Sure. “My dad didn’t think we could handle the responsibility.”

He had to laugh a little at the irony of that. It was just a small chuckle though, since he didn’t feel like explaining the punchline to the joke. If his dad had been either of them, then that must have made Nate and Owen the dogs. Responsible enough, his ass. The boy dipped his head back to look at the clouds and judge the state of them. He figured it might not rain too hard. The jeep was up ahead, sitting in its usual spot under the tree. Jayce had this thing about parking it under trees.

It was old and silver, but well cared for by a man Jayce didn’t talk to much anymore. When he left for the army, he’d left Andrew King the jeep even though that douche already owned like seven cars. Axel was already losing interest in the duo, wandering farther off to smell shit before half heartedly returning. Nathan wanted to tell the thing that it didn’t have an obligation to follow. But it was a dog. It probably wouldn’t have understood.

“So you came from the heights? What was it like growing up here? Bet it was exhausting. I remember going to school with Jayce. Course, I was like... three years younger. My older brother hated him. Hates him? I don’t know. All my friends are kind of psycho.” He was kind of rambling absent mindedly. He did that when he was nervous. His voice had been steadily getting quieter, and he only stopped when they reached the car. “Our chariot. Shotgun’s reserves for my date though. Hope you don’t mind.”

Evie found herself undeniable happy as she scratched the pup behind his ears. It was satisfying surprisingly to see an animal actually enjoy her attention. Was that pathetic? For her dignity she would just describe it as therapeutic. “Axehole. Clever,” she laughed as he took her free hand. She felt the tingly feeling return, just not as intensely as it had before. “It was never about responsibility with me, when it came to pets. My aunts reasoning was that our home was filled with to many antiques that could be damaged if we had a dog or cat.”

Evangeline decided not to mention the true reason behind not having pets. Her aunt liked to be in control, and animals in her opinion even if trained were still uncontrollable. If she wasn’t in control, she was unhappy. After she had moved it out, Evangeline really didn’t realize her aunt’s unattractive qualities. Not to say the woman was a heartless human being. She ran their families charity and business affairs. She was well educated, and very independent. Not to mention, even in her prime she took Evangeline in when her parents died. So Evangeline knew the woman had a heart and she did care. It was just hard for the woman to show.

With a sigh she nods to his question on her growing up in the area. “I did.. It really was exhausting. You would think they’re would be more freedom up here. But I found it very, sophicating. Not to say it's horrible living up here. It really does have its perks. But the people. The people are awful.” Even as she spoke Evangeline had the urge to look around to see if someone was listening. The sooner they left the more relaxed she would be. At least that's what she hoped. She still didn’t know where he was going to take her.

“My friends are rather rambunctious themselves.. So if you went to high school with Jayce and you know Heather. Then I’m going to guess you went to Monarch Heights then? ” It was quite puzzling actually, what he was telling her. His older brother, hated Jayce Porter who Nathan is friends with. Evangeline couldn’t help but wonder how that came to happen. Nathan living with someone her brother hated or possible hates. Wouldn’t an older brother be more protective over the younger sibling? Wouldn’t they try not to let them hang around people they didn’t like? Evangeline never had the chance to have siblings but sometimes she was happy to be an only child. It seemed less complicated.

She wasn’t sure if he wanted her to ask about his brother and Jayce. It seemed like a serious topic, to her. A laughs slips through, when teases her. “Oh okay,” she said, “I hope she doesn’t mind me stealing her seat then?”

Yeah, Nathan had gone to school with all of those people. His senior year had been spent mostly with people that had given up on school. He didn’t want to deal with school anymore, not with everything that had started feeling much more pressing than grades. But Nathan had also always wanted to go to college and school had been that thing to keep him feeling somewhat normal. Now that he was graduated, he didn’t know if he’d ever be able to go to college.

Okay, that was a lie. He knew it wasn’t an option for him. He knew that Jon was going to HCU, and the boy had practically called Nathan an idiot for opting out of college. People in his grade had figured he wasn’t going onto higher education. They knew he was smart. He excelled in English and the arts. But people like him didn’t go to college and that didn’t surprise anybody no matter how smart he’d been. His teachers had offered him letters of recommendations which he couldn’t accept. Colleges offered him scholarships which he turned down.

He had a debt to pay. It was as simple as that. Even as he drove the man’s car that he was indebted to, he could feel the weight of his world pulling him down. Evangeline made him smile despite all this and he closed the door after her. When he got behind the wheel, he focused on driving out of the estate before speaking again. Even still, he kept some of the conversation to a minimum. Nate really didn’t want to be pulled over.

He hated driving through Holden County in bad weather. People forgot how to drive and it was problematic. Still, he was a better driver than half the people knew. There was this one girl who was crazy amazing behind the wheel of any car, but he was terrified to be in a car with he. She, of course, would be another person in Nathan’s life that Evie hopefully would never meet.

“You’re going HCU, then? What’s your major? I always thought about doing something that might piss my brother off the most, English.” Nathan grinned as he carefully took his right on a red, “Of course, I’d have wanted to teach music. I don’t know. School never worked out for me.” He still hadn’t told her his last name. He really didn’t want her to know that his family was... Well, she came from the heights which meant she ought to know all about the County’s founding fathers.

The last thing he needed was for her aunt to recognize the Griffith name. Game over. His thumb tapped anxiously against the steering wheel. Evangeline St. James. Names were everything around the Heights. He recognized that last name but couldn’t place it... “The Constellation. It’s run by your family, isn’t it? You know, I stayed in that hotel once. With Jayce. Top floor. It was.... Man, it had the best view of the North Sky. Owen would have either loved or hated it. I can never tell.”

Owen definitely would have hated the idea of Jayce taking Nate to the city for a weekend without his consent. But Nathan no longer needed his older brother’s consent to go places and do things. Besides, Jayce had needed his second for the job. Mostly, Nathan felt like Jayce had wanted the company. It had been pretty weird at first. Not spending the weekend in a penthouse suit with Jayce. Or.. at least, not the Jayce part. It was the suite. The hospitality. Nobody had ever treated him the way that staff had. He couldn’t wait to leave and the only thing he’d really enjoyed was the hotel’s architecture itself.

He missed feeling so close to the stars. It was hard to see them at Jayce’s estate. And nowehere had ever had a better view of the night sky than his rooftop. Owen hadn’t sat up there with him since he was fifteen. But they used to go up there all the time. Owen used to carry him back into the house when Nate fell asleep outside. He remembered sneaking a drink of Owen’s beer and getting caught. His brother’d been so pissed. Kind of hypocritical seeing as Owen had only been fourteen at the time.

He needed to fix things with that man. So many thoughts bounced around in the younger Griffith’s head. It was hard to focus on the present. But he was still driving the car where he wanted it to go. This was either going to be a colossal success or a colossal waste of time. But he had a feeling that Evangeline was sick of ‘ordinary’. He could take her to the beach like he’d done with Reece, or he could take her somewhere that meant something to him.

It was farther out in the direction towards the desert. He was leaving Holden County behind and then the pavement to turn down a well used dirt road. Of course, he figured that this might be a little strange, so he glanced over and offered a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry. I’m not like... taking you out to kill you or anything. Oh. Why did I say that? I’m cool. I promise.” He sighed, shaking his head and muttered, “Super cool.” Still, as he muttered this, their destination slowly came into view— towers of abandoned cars scattered against the horizon like a small lost city.

Evangeline found herself staring out the window as Nathan drove them away from the estate. Her mind was focused on the scenery and for a moment she felt a little homesick. Not for her aunt but for the green and trees that the city didn’t have to offer. Nathan was quiet when he got back in the car and she didn’t make an effort to break the silence between them. The silence wasn’t awkward in the least to her. It was comfortable which was a first for the girl. Evie glances over at Nathan leaning her arm against the door and resting her head in her hand.

If her aunt hadn’t sent her to a boarding school, they could have known each other. Would they have been friends, she wondered. She tries to imagine herself walking down the same halls laughing, sitting near each other in class, or anything she had seen other students do. The next moment she thought about was the possibility of the situation being completely opposite. He was friends with Heather after all so for all she knew he could have easily been someone to hurt or tease her. Thank god those are only what ifs..

Her eyes move towards the road in front of them and finally they were out of the heights. She released a sigh of relief relaxing comfortably in the seat. When he asks her if she was attending the university they had met in she nods her head yes. “You could have always minored in basket weaving after getting your degree for english,” She smiled looking at him again,Really? I thought you were a student when you approached me. ” He seemed intelligent enough to attend college, and judging from his book list from his file that she saw, he could easily be one. Was it money? Or did he just not want to attend? "But I could see you as a music teacher. Though I haven't heard you play before, but I'm sure you're a very fine musician."

Her smile softens as he talked about her families hotel. It was true, the Constellation was ran by her aunt, her last living relative. If she was not to succeed her, it would ultimately end up in Vladimir's family. Which was why the arranged marriage was placed in the first place. But whether her parents had made the deal, Evangeline was still repulsed by the idea. However, this hiccup was not in the least going to stop her from inheriting the hotel. Her father wrote it in his will that once she was capable of taking over she was supposed to take command, legally her aunt was obligated to do so. It was all complicated now. But as for a career, she still intended on following in her father and mother’s footsteps.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. My father, from what my mother has told me, would have been an astronaut if he had to choose another occupation. So it was only fitting that he named it the Constellation for his love of stars.. And that the top floor had a decent view of the sky even with all the city lights.” She could barely recall the view Nathan was talking about. When her parents were still alive they had stayed in the pent house for a short time. It was one of the more happier memories she recalled of her father. Pointing out to the ‘warriors’ in the sky calling them by their individual names. Her heart ached at that memory in particularly. It was beginning to be difficult to recall their voices. “Maybe you can take Owen one day and let him choose if he would hate or like it?” Evangeline suggested. She was still unsure exactly Nathan's relationship with his brother. But she was hoping he wouldn’t be too offended by her comment. It wasn’t her place to encourage something like that. But she didn’t like not ignoring him when he talked about his brother.

The further he drove the more her curiosity grew. By car, she had never been driven past the city or the suburban areas around the heights. The farthest she had been was the beach cities, but that was only when her parents were alive. Evangeline nodded a bit as she unclasped her hand. She did have to admit, driving out to the desert was really unusual. Considering he had just found out that she was an heiress form the heights, killing her or kidnapping her for ransom could have been a serious option. But she was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. “I trust you.. I do have to admit, I have never been out this far before… So I am curious to what you have planned for us to do.”

Nathan was a pretty decent musician. His knowledge came from all over the place. Owen had helped him learn the piano, originally. Nate had then moved onto other instruments from there, just like his brother had. He could play the violin, and the man that had taught him how to hold it correctly hadn’t been in Holden County for years now. Jayce helped to refine the boy’s skills on the guitar. He studied music theory on his own time. Had saved up for a few classes by instructors only to find that he didn’t really need them. But his journey with music had to stop there. That was okay. It was his fault, anyways. “No, not me. It was too expensive and I just... life.”

He shrugged, his shoulder tilting like it had a twitch. He looked at the girl for a few moments, wondering what it would be like to go to HCU for real. He was good for it. Smart. He made friends easily thanks to already having come into Monarch Institute set for popularity. Of course, he knew that actually going to college would be something different entirely.

He was relieved that they were back on the conversation of the Constellation. He was keen to listen to her talk about it so fondly. Jayce had told him that the owners of the hotel had passed away a long while ago. So he didn’t have to ask about Evangeline’s parents. And if he didn’t ask about Evangeline’s parents, then she wouldn’t ask about his.

Of course, she did bring up his brother. There wasn’t anyway Nathan would have been able to keep Owen’s existence a secret from her. He was trouble. In any universe, Owen Griffith was and always would be trouble. He represented a world of fucking hurt that Nathan never would have experienced if Owen really didn’t exist. But... he couldn’t get himself to fathom what a world would be like without his older brother in it.

It was all just really fucked up, okay?

“He’d definitely hate it. I think he’s allergic to rich people,” Nathan grinned despite himself. He was pretty sure Owen was pretty fucking rich. It was always hard to tell because he had no idea where the money went from the Scars. Jayce happened to be one rich motherfucker, as well. He should be. He had a crazy income coming from three different sources, and still, he never seemed to let the money effect him. Kind of amazing, really.

But he couldn’t dwell on this forever because he’d pulled to a stop outside this rusty fence. The metal was broken in places and somebody had forced the gate open a long time ago. But it was everything behind that gate that might catch Evie’s attention. It sure as hell had captured Nathan’s the first time Owen took him out here. His older brother was with his senior class. Jayce had been there too with Casper Wilcox. Things had been really complicated back then.

The bridge between Owen and Nathan had kept growing ever since he was thirteen years old. Owen had been sixteen. Jayce — fifteen. More importantly, Nathan had been too young and too stupid. He’d been messing with people he shouldn’t have been. People that his older brother had been actively participating in a pissing contest with for the past couple years. But there were simple moments. Days where Nathan and Owen were little and older brother. Days where they all remembered that they were still high school students with a bunch of other kids who had no damn clue what was going down on the other end of the street.

Tall stacks of cars looked like a lost city in the middle of the desert. They towered along the horizon and cut off where the sun would set behind them. He parked the car and turned off the ignition, “Well, welcome to Monarch Institute’s home away from home.” He smiled fondly, looking eager to show her the place time had forgotten. His and past generations called this place, “Rust Town. If you’d gone to my school, you definitely would have been dragged here at least once. Thought you might like it... it’s about as opposite as you can get from Monarch Heights.”

Evangeline couldn’t hold back a smile at his last words. The worry she had about him taking her to a place she would have not liked had completely disappeared and was replaced by the scene before her. Rusted cars, dirt, and basically everything that the monarchs had exiled resided there to waste away. He had brought her somewhere no boy in the Monarch Heights would have probably ever taken her. This made her have butterflies. “So this is where everyone wondered off too during the summer then?” Evangeline asked as her eyes lingered from stack to stack. “I had always heard about this place. But never was able to come here...” Of course she only heard about the events that took place here from different parties she attended. It had never interested her growing up to try and discover what it was like. Besides, she wasn’t home enough to venture with others her other age. Her aunt often took her to Europe to their family chateau in France. To make her more cultured or to spend time with Vlad and his family. Maybe that was why Evangeline had such a hard time getting to know people her age on a more down to earth level. She was trying though.

Evangeline tries to picture herself being here, with the others that attended Monarch Heights high. Partying, dancing, possibly even drinking. Would she have been normal she wondered? Rebellious against her aunt perhaps? Would she and Nathan been friends enough to hang out at functions that were here. Or would he have ignored her like the others would have? To many questions were filling her mind. Looking at Nathan, the thoughts subsided and her mouth finally begins to form words again, “Its amazing really. Being here, I wasn't expecting something like this and I mean that in a good way.” She didn’t want him to assume she hated where they were at.

Instead of focusing on what she would have been like with him there as a high schooler. She just tried to picture him in the environment. Standing around the near by fire pit or even climbing up some the stacks. Evangeline was still figuring out his personality and quirks. But she wouldn’t put it past him to be a little rambunctious. He was a guy after all and from what her aunt told her. Guys tend to do idiotic things. “So were you the guy that hung out by the bonfire with a guitar?” She teases as she focuses on the giant black pit littered with trash and left over debris from previous fires. “Because I could totally see it.

Nathan stood with hands in his pockets, staring around the old place as if he hadn’t just been here with a couple of his high school friends. But come on. Everything felt different these days. Heavier. Even hanging out with Jonathan was a little hard to do when he got some bullshit call from Jayce telling him to come to the bar. Still, the energy of this place never did change. Years and years. It would always be a junkyard full of trashed cars where dumb teens did dumb things and got high.

He took Evangeline because he’d never seen her come to this place before even though she was the same age as him. And with her being a St. James, it didn’t really surprise him that she hadn’t been to a place like this. I mean, she had better things to do than waste her time with a bunch of middle to low class misfits, right? But he watched her now and couldn’t help but allow the corner of his lip tilt up into a small composed smile.

“Summer. School nights. Not exactly glamorous, but the parents have no idea this is where all their kids ran off to get high and drunk,” he sounded only a little sheepish as he confessed. He supposed she’d at least heard rumors of this old place. The word got around to the youth, but it was sort of a big secret. Those who got older kept it a secret for the kids after them. Nate looked around, and ended up taking her hand, “Well then, I’m glad to be the one to bring you to this shit hole— I mean, totally romantic getaway location for two.”

Before leading the girl away from their spot, Nathan knocked his shoulder into hers fondly, shot a little wink, and smirked, “Ah, you can bet I was the one sitting around wooing chicks with my guitar. I mean, what else do you learn music for? Passion?” He scoffed, overplaying that scoff for dramatic effect. He was being a little sarcastic. Nathan had always had a passion for music. When he played, he played because it made him feel like... it made him feel a little normal. Because normal people played guitar around campfires.

Nathan stopped by the fire pit and let go of Evangeline’s hands so he could pull his cigarette lighter out. Some tinder, stacked wood, and a nearly empty bottle of whiskey he found on the ground later, Nathan was lighting them a fire. “There’s always stuff to start one up over here,” he commented, turning to look at her. Fuck. The boy’s pretty decent smile shifted some, going crooked but soft at the sight of the girl’s face lit up by the glow of the flames. “You’re glowing,” he joked very quietly, but still sounded a little anxious. Because she was. Glowing. “What about you then? Would you be... one of them?”

Nathan pointed at the tallest stack of cars farther away from them. The little Townhouse of the car lot. “Jayce likes to take the people he wants to more than bang up there. Like... if they’re special.” He cursed a little because he was planning to take her up there, but after saying that it would be a little forward, right?

In any case, he wasn’t going to just yet, “Just cause it’s closer to the stars and all. But mainly he likes being alone up there? Pretty great place to be alone and think. Or would you have been down here? Letting loose? Getting drunk with all my dumb friends til you stumble on over to the pretentious looking kid quietly playing guitar by the fire?” He nodded over to a log somebody had towed here a while ago before stepping closer with a soft expression, “Make a fool of yourself to get his attention? Completely unaware that he was playing guitar to get that pretty girl’s attention? Wanna sit down and make up for lost time? I don’t have my guitar, but I can whistle.”

Evangeline found herself at a lost of words. One moment they both were just casually joking and the next he was towering over her with a look she couldn't quite describe. No one had ever looked at her the way he had in that moment. His flirty behavior was definitely bazaar to her, but she couldn't help but note the feeling it made her have. Her heart was racing and her stomach was churning with butterflies. Would she have been one of those girls? The kind to get drunk to get a guy's attention? Maura had always tried to influence her but Evangeline knew deep down it wasn't in her nature to do so. Though in that moment, a drink probably made her more comfortable to react properly.

"I um... I would.." She looks down trying to hide her embarrassed glowing face from his. Laughing she places her hands on her cheeks. "You really have me for a loss of words right now. I don't think anyone has ever talked to me in such a way." Being honest might have killed the mood but she didn't know how to react and that made her even more anxious.

"But I think I'd be the girl stuck at home, wishing she'd be able to distract the boy with the guitar from the pretty intoxicated cheerleaders..." Evangeline cleared her throat but kept the smile on her face redirecting her attention to the highest stack he was telling her about. How did Jayce, a boy from such an influential family was able to escape to a place like this? Didn't his mother or his step father keep track of him like her aunt did with her? He had definitely peeked her curiosity up until he admitted that Jayce had intercourse up there. Still though being up so high must have been a spectacular view. Her hands move her hair back behind her ears as she stood awkwardly in front of him. "Not to say what your saying is a bad thing. I actually quite like it... If I'm being entirely honest. I just.. I'm not well adverse with this kind of thing.."

Flushing even more as she rambled she had half the intentions of just turning around and walking back to the city. She offended him, she had to have. There was no way admitting to a guy on the first date that you didn't know how to flirt was a good thing. Maura would have scolded her for being so naïve. But its not her fault that she lacked the skill that her older friend was so proficient in. "Flirting, I think I have the kissing thing down, because it's simple right? Not to say you have to kiss me. Because you really don't have to if you don't want to. Not that you need to right this second. Oh god I need to stop talking." Evangeline's face if not already by the fire was completely red. Her hands cover her eyes as she laughs nervously trying to hide from him. "I'm sorry. I'm awful at this."

Nathan chuckled a little in amusement at the girl's words. Oh man, so she was pretty hopeless at this kind of thing, huh? He didn't mind that. In fact, it sort of took a wild load off in terms of anxieties and what he would have to stress about. He was God awful at flirting when he first came to Holden County with his brother. The boy had been such an introvert, trying to get away from attention as soon as possible. But that only made things like relationships and flirting difficult for him. "You admitting you're bad at flirting only makes this easier for me, you've no idea."

"Ah, but if you were at home, then how would you even know I existed, huh?" Nate thought about this for a moment, feeling a little relieved that he was a weirdo who spent his free time in the university library. He could have easily missed her completely, otherwise. Which, let's be honest. It probably would have been for the best in that case. Because he still believed he was being an absolute idiot. Everybody knows the story of Lady and the Tramp. But unlike a cute lil Disney film about dogs, he was screwing with a completely innocent girl while he dealt with people who were... not.. innocent. Awful people, really. Hell, she could probably be arrested jut by knowing him if they ever connected her to him and then him to somebody like Irvine Graves or Jessie Valdez or Thiago Vicente.

Nathan took a deep breath and looked into the fire with a small smile. It didn't reach the corners of his eyes, but it was close. "You don't think you could have been convinced to sneak out?" He was totally convinced he could have got Evie to sneak out. Finding ways to break rules was what kids at Monarch Institute did best. It was practically the only way you through the monotonous day in and day out grind. Nathan wasn't as bad as some people when it came to ditching. He would never be as great as Jayce or his older brother, but then, Nate had kind of liked classes. They weren't too bad.

He laughed a little, ducking his head away from Evie, again. "Oh, so, you have the kissing thing down, huh?" Nathan lifted a brow at her in question, because it was an odd thing to say. And maybe he was challenging her a little, "I'll be the judge of that when you're least expecting." The taller boy nudged his shoulder against hers, bringing her to the little log so the could sit down, "Only kidding. I was terrified the first time I had to kiss for the first time. Owen called me a pussy cause I chickened out each time. But Owen's a low key fuckboy, he'd kill me if he knew I called him that. No tattling. Not that... you'd ever, uh, meet him." He glanced up a little sheepishly, "We aren't close anymore." Why did that feel like a lie? Because it wasn't. They rarely saw or talked to each other. But still... Nate sighed and shook the thoughts out of his head, "So, have you kissed anybody before?"

Evangeline sighed with relief as the boy had seemeds to not be creeped out by her sudden awkward word vomit. Vlad would have been annoyed or at the very least he wouldn't have even recognized she had spoken. He often had a hard time listening to her since she was too soft spoken. Though she wouldn't be surprised if he just ignored her. Don't think about him you are on a date. Evangeline shrugged her attention focusing on the fire dancing in front of them. Evangeline always felt as if she was overlooked with everyone she knew. Even if her aunt had done her best to provide her with guidance and a lavish lifestyle. She still felt transparent almost like a grey piece of paper her aunt had folded to her pleasing. She rarely had friends before Skye, Sibella, and Maura having been to shy to socialize outside her forced friendships with other children in the heights. Looking at him now with a small and simple smile she speaks, "I don't know, you probably would have noticed me in gym. I'm not inclined in sports, but I still manage to be a pretty great magnet for a volleyball." Was that too pathetic to say? She meant it as a joke but now that she was talking she couldn't help but hear the words as some kind of self pity kind of thing. Clearing her throat and looking away again she made sure to quickly move onto his next point.

"I snuck out once before, actually. Let me tell you, climbing out of a window in a dress consumed by tool was an experience in itself. I fell on my back onto my aunt's hydrangeas during one of her philanthropist gatherings I was forced to attend. I wasn't able to leave my aunt's home for almost two months and I was forced to learn how to hand stich the dress back together. " She laughed at the memory, "At least I got to learn a skill. Though my sewing skills do not classify me as a certified seamstress.."

Evangeline hadn't realized she he been shaking till they approached the little log to sit. Plopping down she smiled sheepishly at the boy. What. Have. I. Done. Truth be told, she had only ever kissed Vlad. So her experience was very limited, but yet here she was possibly bluffing to the first boy she has ever really dated on her own. Maybe it would be degrading on her part to say she wasn't a good kisser? Of course it would be. If only she had been invited to more girl boy parties in her youth had she felt more confident. As he spoke of his own struggles of his first kiss and of his older brother Owen being also some what of a... what would be a decent word... Wonderer?

She wondered exactly what had driven them apart and what it would be like to have a sibling. "I'm sorry to hear you guys are not close anymore. That must be hard.... But don't worry your secret is safe with me." Her smile perked up a bit but then tightened as he asked her a question. Evangeline had to admit, she did not expect him to ask her if she had been kissed before. Was it a good question to ask on a first date? Was it a good question to ask at all? Didn't the girly magazines say that talking about your exes or past kissing partners were a bad thing to do? "Um.. Only one person. you?"

Nathan scratched the side of his neck, wondering whether or not he'd be able to sneak a cigarette into this fine date. It's not like he'd thought of that beforehand. Would she judge him for having a lighter in the first? Wait. maybe she smoked. One look at her though and Nathan highly doubted she did that. She seemed far too good to have some nasty habit like that. But Nathan had been around cigarette smoke and smokers his whole life. It would only make sense that he would pick up the habit along the way. Of course, Owen had no clue he smoked sometimes. The man would have a conniption fit. But, since it was the only fire he actually had. in the end, some voice in the back of his head was telling him that smoking on the first date was a big no no... even if he was feeling that little itch.

Nate spent that energy focusing on Evangeline talk, her voice kind of sounding like music if you wanted to be all gross and dramatic about it. "Oh, I was bad at sports, too. Things that took substantial hand eye coordination? Nu-uh, you can bet the guys were picking me last. But I was good at soccer." He looked like the kind of kid who'd be good at soccer. Lanky and tall. Her story about sports was hellishly amusing though and Nate found the corner of his lips lifting just a little. He couldn't really imagine this librarian playing sports as much as he could imagine Owen leading a group of boy scouts. Well... Owen did sort of lead a group of boy scouts when you took Wyatt and Archer into account. So not the best metaphor.

"Oh ho, look at you. Climbing out the window like a real 21st century feminist Rapunzel," Nathan chuckled, now imagining the poor girl falling and ripping her dress, "Sorry sorry, I shouldn't laugh. I'm sure you looked absolutely James Bond." He shot her a sly smile. Though, beneath that, Nathan couldn't help but think about how overboard that punishment was. Yeesh. talk about an overbearing childhood. If her ant was really that stuck up, Nathan probably wouldn't have wanted to get the girl in trouble by encouraging typical MIIE behavior. "She grounded you for months just for trying to get out of some boring rich person shit?" Fuck. Reverse. That sounded super judgmental and maybe a little bitter coming from some house that had barely had money to put food on the table. It was just... what a way to put things into perspective.

Evangeline probably had never had to worry about a forth of the shit Nathan had worried about growing up. But on the other side of the coin, Nate certainly had never been grounded for breaking a rule. And he'd never once had to put up with snobs and social standards or class. Oh what worlds apart they were. At the mention of his brother, Nate only shrugged, "You don't have anything to feel sorry about. He's kind of a giant asshole. I'm better off living with my friend." He then paused and cleared his throat, "That makes him sound like he's abusive or something. Uh.. He wasn't. But he... drinks a lot. Wow, this isn't sounding better. The answer is like three by the way. Two girls. Two is a safe number, right?"

"Oh if you think the volleyball had it out for me. The soccer ball has a personal vendetta, " Evangeline couldn't help but smile as he laughed and smiled at her. However it was hard for to look at him now still somewhat over reacting at the fact she presented herself as this experienced kisser even though she kissed. Vlad was the only boy she had ever kiss. Not that she kissed girls willy nilly, the girl was only ever attracted to the opposite sex. So how did she even know if she was a good kisser? Vlad's kisses were always initiated by him and weren't in the least gently sometimes. He rarely kissed her in public and even when alone together, there was no true spark. There was however an artificial attraction. One governed by mother and aunt and forged by a binding premarital agreement.

With him mentioning her aunts methods of raising her, she could only sigh, "Unfortunately my aunt doesn't like when things don't go her way. So everyone and specially the culprit is resorted to first class punishment. But thank you for the compliment. I think I'd make an excellent James bond in an alternate universe." She smiles as her shoes pushed some of the cigarette buds on the ground. Her aunt had been an avid smoker in her younger years. Evangeline has a few fuzzy memories of the woman standing outside arms crossed calmly surveying the grounds. But when she had stopped smoking, Evangeline couldn't recall. Personally, she never picked up the habit having not liking the idea of coughing profusely after the first drag. Besides the smell sometimes gave her a headache. Vlad was another person in her life who smoked, though she never saw him. She could smell the pungent odor of cigar on his blazers sometimes when they both attended boarding school. He never told her, but Evangeline wasn't dumb to think he didn't sneak off with the other male students to smoke their fathers expensive Cubans during passing period. Evangeline never truly realized how many people in her life had lied to her. Like the smell of a cigarette or a cigar, the realization still made her stomach sick. Her smile faltered slightly but before he could notice she forced the smile back. There was no reason for her to be sad, not now that she is with someone who was actually maybe for the first time in her life, being honest and genuine with her.

"I understand," Evangeline responded, "about your brother. Well not so much since I'm an only child. But I do understand that even family members can be assholes and that its sometimes better to leave an healthy situation. So what I'm trying to say is that you won't get any judgement from me. "

As he answered her question, it wasn't too surprising. After all Nathan, even with that tattoo, was a solid ten in her books. Her eyes finally land on him again after growing tired of staring at the lying cigarette butts. They landed on his top lip at first and Evangeline had to wonder how did he kiss. His lips looked soft, and for some reason she had to think his kisses wouldn't be the same as Vlad. Of course they wouldn't, but still Vlad's lips were the only ones she could compare them too. "Three isn't bad at all. It's better than fifteen or sixty three. But only two girls?" Her eye brow raised in curiosity at the boy to explain.

Against all the odds, Nathan wasn't thinking a lot about kissing Evangeline. He liked to kiss, and he was super into it when he was doing it. But otherwise, Nathan just didn't feel the same way a lot of his classmates had about physical contact. It was as if Nate could take it or leave it... No. No, that wasn't it. It was more like Nathan was picky. He was picky with who he kissed and let close to him. Whether that was some residual daddy issues left behind from the man leaving and his brother turning into an alcoholic broken asshole, he could only guess. And Nathan couldn't remember very well when he'd received positive love and affection from his mother who only got sicker every day. So, Nate could flirt and talk up kissing as much as he wanted but he didn't really feel the need to demonstrate his limited experience in the area.

No, Nate's mind was focused on this girl's family and the allowances that she was denied growing up. Evie always seemed to have this far off look in her eye as though she were thinking deeply about what she missed out on. Or what she had already and might be unsatisfied with. Nathan wanted to show her a different side of the world, but he wasn't sure if he should. he still hadn't decided whether he was going to be able to keep this thing going against his conscience. He was straight lying to Evie about a lot of things. Now, he couldn't know how much this girl would value honesty in her life. But even if he did know, how could Nate tell her the truth? If he did... he was involving her in things that she certainly shouldn't be involved in. Oh God, this was not okay. Again he heard his older brother's voice in his head: what the hell do you think you're doing with that Heights girl? Nathan stared at the ground where Evie was kicking around a cigarette. He was an absolute dickhead in whatever way you looked at it. Maybe this gang shit had changed him for the worse.

Because instead of internally deciding that he would end things after this date, Nathan glanced up and smiled at Evie, "That means a lot. They can certainly be assholes. I wish you could meet him, though. I mean.. like, I hope you never do. But he could use somebody around telling him how to behave and feeding him some civility." Nathan chuckled at the mere thought of Evie teaching Owen how to set a table properly or use his fork the right way. He bet she knew all about that kind of stuff. It would be pretty funny. He could picture the way Owen's eyes would stare unblinkingly at the girl like she had horns growing out of her head as she re-positioned the fork in his hand. But that image was also coupled with the shock and uncertainty of Evie meeting the man for the first time with his face scarred to hell from those dogs a while back.

Nate began to pace around the fire absently, looking at the other occasionally. Damn, she was pretty. A solid ten and a half. Best not let this girl meet his one and a half brother. Oh God, what if she was actually into that sort of thing? The bad boy aesthetic that Owen certainly had and owned? Would she like him more than him? "Random question," he asked, setting aside that question about the girls for two seconds, "What is your opinion on big muscly bad boys that hate being called bad boys? Because if you've got a thing for misfits like that, we're probably gonna have a problem." He was still smiling, obviously joking about there being any sort of problem. He then paced around the fire until he stopped around the fire in front of the girl. "And yes. Two girls," Nathan answered, pushing a strand of Evie's hair out of the way, "Three in total, the third's on my cheesy wish list. But I think I oughta make her really want it." Oh, he was smirking now.

Evangeline was taken back for a moment at his strange question. Thinking about it, there were not many boys that had been on her radar over the years. None that she had actually wanted to take notice of her. but from what she could remember, those boys came from wealthy families and possessed a certain kind of charisma. The kind that served as a front around their parents. Well mannered, well bred young men parading with a false agenda. When those boys had been left to interact with Evangeline, their manners slipped and more often then she'd like they would leave her mid date. The memories weren't the best, but she was glad to have learned from them.. Well she had just learned to let herself slip away from those who lied to her. Vlad had been different surprisingly. When they first started dating he doted on her and included her in events. They went to restaurants, museums, operas, and they both had even competed together in ball room dance competitions. Everything was chaperoned, and approved by their guardians however. It was so normal for her to be out and accompanied by an adult. It had been like that from when they had first went steady.

As stuffy as it sounded, they were some found memories she had of Vlad. It was painful for her to have believed his intentions were not like other boys in the heights. Still to that day, she never understood how she wasn't enough for him. Maybe it was because she hadn't put out like Heather had so willingly did. Was she behind on the adolescence scale? Not having lost a certain something or given him something that she found to be degrading to herself? Evangeline wasn't afraid but more of just wanting to save that something for her future husband. Yes the custom was archaic in their day and age but still, it was just something she wanted to do. When she would get married it would be different, possibly. The idea was still uncomfortable her to come to terms with. Maybe that's what it was, she was still uncomfortable about the thought of it.

Her brain had to jump back to the original question from the rabbit trail it was heading down towards. Thinking more about her past interests appearances none had been what he described. Most were lanky, or built lean. Vlad, may have been more on the muscly side but in his tailored suits, no one could notice exactly. "Hmm... " Evangeline started still trying to recall, "I honestly have to say I'm not into that kind of guy. Nor do I think I will be. I don't think that type would like me anyways. Specially since I come off as a good two shoes who hasn't done much of anything really. As for teaching your brother manners. I shouldn't be proud of this, but I could be of some assistance."

Evangeline could have asked him if he was into girls who showed more skin, flirted, and did anything to steal the guy they set their minds on.. But she knew very well the girl she was describing was Heather. The girl who had graciously popped up during their date. Is it funny? How big but yet how small the world truly was for someone like Heather to be interested in two boys that had their intentions for her? Maybe that thought was two conceded to think.

She was distracted from that tainted thought when she felt the touch of his fingers pushing one of the strands of hair from her face. Staying perfectly as he fixed it, she couldn't help but feel a tingly sensation from his touch give her goosebumps. Her eyes landed with him and she didn't know how to respond. What did he mean? Was he talking about her? Oh god did she seem desperate for it? In her etiquette books, she was told kissing wasn't supposed to happen till around.. the fourth date? In all honestly the memory was fuzzy. "Oh?" was all she managed to say, "What else is on this cheesy Wishlist?"

Phew! That was good news. You know, there was a whole ass trope about the good girl and the bad boy. But those were always in the books he read. And when he thought about it, he was kind of the bad boy here, anyways. He just wasn’t the type of bad that Owen. Right?

Ah man, he didn’t know.

Killing people was about as bad as a bad person could get. Oh. Wait. Nevermind, there were probably worse ways to be bad. Why was he thinking about this again? Right, because he was on a date with a girl who was about as ‘good girl’ as good could get. And this sure as shit wasn’t some gimmicky romance novel.

But who the hell cared at this point? He was too tired to care.

Nate laughed, the little wrinkles in the corners of his eyes betraying that there was a certain amount of stress in his life that he couldn’t run away from. “Oh man,” Nate pushed his fingers through his hair, but it all just sprang back into place, “If you taught that lug manners, I think that means the world was about to explode.”

He wasn’t exactly sure when it had happened, or who had initiated it, but he did note that they’d somehow gotten closer to each other while the talked. The smallest smile softened his features when she asked him what else was on this wishlist. His knee gently tapped hers like a metronome, and he started really focusing on his palms. “I’m… uh.. you know, I just said that to sound all slick. I didn’t really think about more than the pick up line.”

Nate puffed up his cheeks and released the air with a laugh. Then he met her eyes, his own looking altogether bemused, “But if I had to write one real quick?” Nathan hopped off the log and began circling the fire, kicking a rock as he went, “I guess I want the real shit, you know?” His hands were gesturing wildly around himself, “Like, I grew up surrounded by people that are so scared of commitment and fucking things up, they’re miserable! I don’t want to be miserable. That’s all. And I think… Well, I think it’s gonna be really easy for somebody like me to end up that way? I’m not! Miserable, I mean. But I could be. And that scares me. So like… why not ask the pretty girl out on a date? Worst thing she does is say no. Or be a serial killer. Because we’re alone in the desert and I’m alone and vulnerable. Now’s your chance.”

Evangeline watched his eyes as they seemed to be in deep thought. He looked like he was trying to push past whatever was bothering him. The laugh was almost like a mask. Things must have been bad between his brother and himself. She should ask him about it. It sounded like he needed to get more off of his chest. Nothing about this date was by the book, so what harm would it be for her to let him know he could talk to her? Even if she was a stranger, sometimes it was easier to vent. As his hand moved through his hair, She couldn't help but wonder how soft it would be to touch. She had seen Maura shmooze the men at the coffee shop, even running her hand through their hair without hesitating. Could Evie pull off the same thing? She tapped her fingers, tempted to try. Evangeline rolled her eyes. She had a hard time believing that he was attempting to sound slick. If he was pretending, he was fantastic. He could have easily lied to her, but his honesty and openness interested her in what he had to say. "I don't think you have to try. You are pretty natural at it.."

As his knee nudged her and his palms were facing open, she saw a potential opportunity to take his hands and trace his palms. That was flirtatious, right? She could see they were calloused, no doubt from playing the guitar. When she held his hand earlier, she hardly noticed. But the opportunity left when she noticed him looking directly into her eyes. Her heart skipped a beat. She watched as he moved off the log and began to pace. Should she follow him or stay put?

Her hands folded in her lap as she listened quietly. She wished she had some wisdom to share about being miserable. But all she could think of was how sad it must be to be so young and conflicted. He seemed to have to carry the world's weight on his shoulders. From the looks of it, he has had the burden for a long time. Could she help him take some of that burden?

Evie stood up, folding her hands behind her back, listening to his wishlist meandering in the opposite direction but making sure not to show any disinterest. He was being raw with her. The least she could do was be the same. She just needed to be forward and not awkward. Taking a deep breath, she looked up at the sky, intimidated to meet his gaze, "As the saying goes, misery tends to bring company. However, your company has not made me feel miserable in the slightest. I'm glad you asked me out... As for being a serial killer, I'll leave that up to you to determine if we go on a second date. No pressure. If I did anything now, it would be too obvious."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back