no man's sky!

ghostling

doing ok, cowboy?
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
so it's finally here on ps4 at least !! man i feel like i've been waiting for this game forever. so, has anyone else here been playing it? i've heard a lot of different opinions since its release and i'm so curious to see what people think. 

personally i've been enjoying it loads -- yeah, there are some things that could probably have been better/different/whatever, but i definitely don't feel let down at all. i feel like the game i've been playing is the game i was promised by the devs, and if nothing else, it's absolutely beautiful, visually. and i found it so captivating, at least to begin with -- i probably spent a good solid 8 hours on my first planet, simply because i couldn't stop thinking about the fact that i would probably be the only person to ever be on it, and if i didn't document it, nobody else would. that's quite a feeling, honestly. i feel so small while playing.

i am a little annoyed with myself for 'spurning the atlas' though -- i panicked the first time i was asked, not knowing the consequences, and now i wish i'd chosen to follow it instead :// ah well, i guess i can always start another save if i really want to.

but yeah, thoughts? wanna share opinions or discoveries or anything? i can't get enough of seeing peoples' screenshots, i love it! SPACE, guys !!!

Cphi1hDXYAIxGII.jpg CpkhzkTWcAARCSi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite preordering it off of steam sometime today, I'm still a bit skeptical due to all the mixed reviews I've been reading. Either you hate it terribly or love it to death and its not for everyone is what I've gathered, which is to be expected. Yet I'm still a bit weary on buying it though peer pressure (that's all my friends are gonna be doing) and wanting to try it out for myself are kinda trumping that.

@StoneWolf18 yeah, i see what you mean, i think it was very very overhyped (not the fault of hello games, though, imo) and in the build-up to release, people got it into their heads that it would be more than it actually was ever promised to be. i've seen a few people complaining about the survival features being "unexpected", even though i clearly remember that being mentioned by the devs, and i haven't found it at all difficult -- and i'm pretty terrible at a lot of games, lol.

i really hope you'll like it though! if nothing else i still think it's cool to experience such a huge environment. i mean, it is huge, and it really feels like it once you're playing. come back and tell me what you think when you get it, if you want ;w;

Need moar pvp. No but seriously the game seems fun, I have yet to play it, though 

You realize that would be pointless due to barely being able to find another player? xD

@StoneWolf18 yeah, i see what you mean, i think it was very very overhyped (not the fault of hello games, though, imo) and in the build-up to release, people got it into their heads that it would be more than it actually was ever promised to be. i've seen a few people complaining about the survival features being "unexpected", even though i clearly remember that being mentioned by the devs, and i haven't found it at all difficult -- and i'm pretty terrible at a lot of games, lol.

i really hope you'll like it though! if nothing else i still think it's cool to experience such a huge environment. i mean, it is huge, and it really feels like it once you're playing. come back and tell me what you think when you get it, if you want ;w;

I'll be sure to do that, though it'll be a few more days because it comes out on the 12th. 

My biggest concern is finding my friends though, I heard that they're going to be adding some sort of layer scanner but then you have multiple instances where you might not be in the same one...

If you have ever played any game and asked, "I wonder what is over there?" Or if you have said, "man I wish I could get over, or up, there," then this game is for you. If you love exploring for hours on end without any combat or other things to break the "monotony" (which is not necessarily a bad thing to the explorer archetype), then also for you. If these things fit you in any way, shape, or form then get NMS. If ANY of those things worry or concern you then avoid it and wait for something more to your taste. I spent my first 8 hours exploring my first system, mining materials and hoarding in game cash for later use. I did not attack anything, without provocation, until the game sort of forced me to to gain the antimatter recipe and that was only the second time I attacked anything. This game is relaxing and I am happier than a cat in a tuna cannery. 

You realize that would be pointless due to barely being able to find another player? xD

I'll be sure to do that, though it'll be a few more days because it comes out on the 12th. 

My biggest concern is finding my friends though, I heard that they're going to be adding some sort of layer scanner but then you have multiple instances where you might not be in the same one...

I doubt you'll find them I just make a chat party with my friends and we share tips, experiences, and funny moments as we explore.

Need moar pvp. No but seriously the game seems fun, I have yet to play it, though 

hard to fight people you can't find (; but really, i'm glad pvp isn't an element. sean murray, one of the devs, specifically stated NMS was designed to be "very very chill" and honestly, i struggle enough getting absolutely obliterated whenever pirates come for me, since i haven't upgraded my ship well enough to fight them off yet lol <//3 

good!! i honestly can't seem to tire of chatting about it hah so ;v;

i guess i see why you'd be worried, i mean, i have definitely found myself thinking, more than once, while busily scanning planets or whatever -- what's the point if no one else is going to see this? but i was already anticipating that, and i think the devs purposefully wanted to make the player feel very alone and very small in the game's universe. it would be interesting if some sort of feature was implemented that allowed players who want to find each other to do so, though. i've heard that some people have found each other so far, but are unable to see one another -- so i'd be really interested, if that became a thing, to see what the player character looks like :0 

but yeah, NMS really wasn't designed as an MMO. i think it's intentionally isolating, which sometimes feels good, sometimes is a little unsettling, but i like a game that can make me feel different things..~

If you have ever played any game and asked, "I wonder what is over there?" Or if you have said, "man I wish I could get over, or up, there," then this game is for you.

right?? it's pretty amazing to know you can go anywhere, literally. no map edge, no restrictions -- until you run out of fuel and gotta go mine more ;3 and it is super relaxing, honestly sometimes i've just set the controller down and let my ship drift aimlessly above a planet and, ahh. it's so cool knowing that it's all "real", i'm not just looking at a painted background or anything -- i could touch down at any moment and have even more shit to discover. so good.

but you make a v good point -- while you can seek out some level of combat by provoking sentinels/attacking cargo ships and you are gonna get chased by pirates, the focus of this game is definitely exploration rather than action. it's there, but the main idea is just you, your ship, and an entire universe waiting for someone to find it. 

..which i personally love to bits<3

hard to fight people you can't find (; but really, i'm glad pvp isn't an element. sean murray, one of the devs, specifically stated NMS was designed to be "very very chill" and honestly, i struggle enough getting absolutely obliterated whenever pirates come for me, since i haven't upgraded my ship well enough to fight them off yet lol <//3 

i guess i see why you'd be worried, i mean, i have definitely found myself thinking, more than once, while busily scanning planets or whatever -- what's the point if no one else is going to see this? but i was already anticipating that, and i think the devs purposefully wanted to make the player feel very alone and very small in the game's universe. it would be interesting if some sort of feature was implemented that allowed players who want to find each other to do so, though. i've heard that some people have found each other so far, but are unable to see one another -- so i'd be really interested, if that became a thing, to see what the player character looks like :0 

but yeah, NMS really wasn't designed as an MMO. i think it's intentionally isolating, which sometimes feels good, sometimes is a little unsettling, but i like a game that can make me feel different things..~

That's what I was talking about with the instances, and the thing with getting it on PC is a possible way to get around that.

Honestly what was the point of making it multiplayer if it's impossible to find one another? 

Another thing that's getting on my nerves is that the devs are working on making the game larger and not working on things such as glitches, etc.

Screenshots. That is how my friends and share what we see and do in this game.

Screenshots. That is how my friends and share what we see and do in this game.

yeah, i know, i was just getting philosophical (; it's just strange to think about how the place you've been is probably going to lie untouched by anyone else, y'know?

Honestly what was the point of making it multiplayer if it's impossible to find one another? 

Another thing that's getting on my nerves is that the devs are working on making the game larger and not working on things such as glitches, etc.

it's definitely not impossible! like i said, some people already have -- it just wasn't ever the point of the game. it's multiplayer in the sense that everyone is in the same universe, but it wasn't designed for player interaction, really. imo, hello games made that pretty clear from the get-go. if you want a spacey mmo, there's always eve online ~

and by "larger", do you mean sean murray's suggestion that ps4 neo would allow them to make the world more, how should i put it, dense? because they definitely did put out a pretty solid day1 patch. i personally haven't come across any glitches in a good 15 hours or so of play. please bear in mind too that the team is very, very small -- this is by no means a triple-A game, and the devs are under a huge amount of pressure what with the excessive hype.

That's what I was talking about with the instances, and the thing with getting it on PC is a possible way to get around that.

Not impossible, just highly improbable. I get that they were going for, that feeling of being in a really huge galaxy--the real feeling of just how vast space is. That drives it home. I don't know if the not fixing things is fair, IMO. the day one patch  did make the game larger but it also fixed some things the early players complained about. And the game is only three days old, to say they ate not working one it is a bit premature, IMO. 

Don't take this wrong but if you have to convince yourself to buy this game then chances are it is not for you.

yeah, i know, i was just getting philosophical (; it's just strange to think about how the place you've been is probably going to lie untouched by anyone else, y'know?

it's definitely not impossible! like i said, some people already have -- it just wasn't ever the point of the game. it's multiplayer in the sense that everyone is in the same universe, but it wasn't designed for player interaction, really. imo, hello games made that pretty clear from the get-go. if you want a spacey mmo, there's always eve online ~

and by "larger", do you mean sean murray's suggestion that ps4 neo would allow them to make the world more, how should i put it, dense? because they definitely did put out a pretty solid day1 patch. i personally haven't come across any glitches in a good 15 hours or so of play. please bear in mind too that the team is very, very small -- this is by no means a triple-A game, and the devs are under a huge amount of pressure what with the excessive hype.

Agreed. Sure I have had some flaws. I almost got stranded by the preorder ship glitch. but made it through that this morning and all it well. I am loving this game.

Read the patch notes. Each universe or whatever is going to be 10 times larger.

But regardless I'm going try my ass off to find someone just to say that I did. (I mean, with a game that big wouldn't you wanna say that as well?)

@hellrazoromega just curious, what preorder ship glitch do you mean? :0 i had a preorder too, physical copy though, & haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. glitch-wise, i mean -- i did manage to get my ship stuck on top of a tree and have found myself lost in several caves (;

i'm also curious if you feel like chatting about it, as to which "path" you took? i'm regretting my choice a bit, since i didn't realise how much of an impact it would have, but i can't bring myself to start again lmao <//3

Read the patch notes. Each universe or whatever is going to be 10 times larger.

But regardless I'm going try my ass off to find someone just to say that I did. (I mean, with a game that big wouldn't you wanna say that as well?)

oop, you're right, my bad! i'd been avoiding the patch notes til i'd played a bit since there was a spoiler warning (; don't you agree they brought in a lot of really awesome things too, though? i personally love that you can interact with animals, now! i was a little worried that while there'd be a lot to see, there wouldn't be a lot to do -- i'm being steadily proved wrong as i go. <3

(I mean, with a game that big wouldn't you wanna say that as well?)

omg yeah, i definitely would! i'm just not holding my breath quite yet, haha

@hellrazoromega just curious, what preorder ship glitch do you mean? :0 i had a preorder too, physical copy though, & haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. glitch-wise, i mean -- i did manage to get my ship stuck on top of a tree and have found myself lost in several caves (;

i'm also curious if you feel like chatting about it, as to which "path" you took? i'm regretting my choice a bit, since i didn't realise how much of an impact it would have, but i can't bring myself to start again lmao <//3

There is an issue that some people are having because the pre-order ship has a hyperdrive already. For some ,the game sees that they have a hyperdrive, so if they warp to the next system without learning ti make anti matter and get the blueprints for hyperdrive construction in their 1st system they get stranded because some upgrade ships don't have hyperdrives and now they can't build one or make fuel.

@hellrazoromega ahh okay, i see -- i didn't experience that personally since i hadn't redeemed my pre-order ship right away. i can see how that would be a problem ://

Base building, personal freighter ships, and co-op coming as free updates~

Hoping for a fleet system in the future, because running a merchant fleet would just about trump my emotions every time i hear the LL! opening after restarting the series :')

@ghostling I was just patient. I warped to my 2nd system then found out about the bug and was worried but after an hour or so the questline popped up in my new star system and all was well.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Hoping for a fleet system in the future, because running a merchant fleet would just about trump my emotions every time i hear the LL! opening after restarting the series :')

Love Live is the best tbh

and a fleet system would be so cool. Hiring aliens as crew members, trading, having other players come to your place, defending from space pirates, all so cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back