No class fighting/Death

Swire

The Ace of Spades, in a Uno deck
<p>

Lets say for a moment that I wanted to create a "hunger games" setup. I want 20-25ish people in different envirements(desert, forest, tundra, etc) fight for their lives. Winner is the last alive. Simple right? Wrong. This would be a VERY detailed fighting system. Something along the lines of the more you do something the easier and faster it is to do something. Kinda like exp? (Ex: if I didn't want to fight and just wait and survive, the more I survive in the wild the better I am at it.) The fighting would also be detailed and would use dice. As well as death. You would role dice for if you want kill someone or not. How much you can role is based on health. (Ex:full health would be like 1-20. Little health might be 1-5. No health and you don't role your dead.) These are my ideas are welcome and feel free to make chances to these, I just need advice. Just know I DON'T want a class system. People might start with higher skills based on their character back ground but no classes. Thanks. @Alteras

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
@Grey might be able to offer some insight; I have none, except maybe to tell you you should probably just use an already existing system.

What you're looking for is a points-based system, so try GURPS. No levels, improve specific skills, yadda yadda.

That said, a detailed, dice-heavy combat system isn't gonna play well on a forum, so if you want a game like that, your best bet is to switch to tabletop for it, or at least some sort of chat or voice client. The things that make dice mechanics fun simply don't work on forums (i.e. your roll is determined after you post so you can't work the outcome into the post, it's hard to roll lots of dice at once / a sequence of dice without spam posting, etc.) and so I think you'd have a very hard time getting the experience you're looking for by playing that time of game on here.

Anomaly said:
@Grey might be able to offer some insight; I have none, except maybe to tell you you should probably just use an already existing system.
Hmm, last time @Alteras asked about this but the problem I saw before was everything wasn't the kind of system I want. The perfect system would combine creativity of writing and strictness of dice and death. I can understand why that's hard thou. I wouldn't mind creating my own but I would need help.

[QUOTE="Primal Conundrum]What you're looking for is a points-based system, so try GURPS. No levels, improve specific skills, yadda yadda.
That said, a detailed, dice-heavy combat system isn't gonna play well on a forum, so if you want a game like that, your best bet is to switch to tabletop for it, or at least some sort of chat or voice client. The things that make dice mechanics fun simply don't work on forums (i.e. your roll is determined after you post so you can't work the outcome into the post, it's hard to roll lots of dice at once / a sequence of dice without spam posting, etc.) and so I think you'd have a very hard time getting the experience you're looking for by playing that time of game on here.

[/QUOTE]
Hmm you have a good point. I would like to try getting it on a forum because it seems easier to attract people here. I understand it's difficult to create this but I'm pretty sure it's possible and still keep the human relationship aspect combined with killing. Also I've never heard of GRUPS.

[QUOTE="Primal Conundrum]What you're looking for is a points-based system, so try GURPS. No levels, improve specific skills, yadda yadda.

[/QUOTE]
I'll politely disagree! Nothing's really preventing you from rolling before your post, for one thing. You can click "dice" in the navbar instead of rolling directly from your post.

Swire said:
Hmm you have a good point. I would like to try getting it on a forum because it seems easier to attract people here. I understand it's difficult to create this but I'm pretty sure it's possible and still keep the human relationship aspect combined with killing. Also I've never heard of GRUPS.
GURPS stands for Generic Universal Roleplaying System. It's D6 based, classless system that can handle any character or setting you can think of. From what you're saying, it sounds like it has the amount of depth you're looking for. I think GURPS is too complex to bring to a forum directly (unless everyone involved already was comfortable with the system), but it may give you a very strong starting point for how to go about making a classless system.

Again though, I think you're either going to need to change your expectations a bit or else aim to go tabletop with this. Highly complex mechanical systems rely on being able to be quick with their calculations and the determination of outcomes. Pushing for a tabletop-complexity system is going to result in you having a hard time gathering people who are both interested and committed enough for such a game. I'm not saying you can't do it, and if you press on I certainly wish you success.

Anomaly said:
I'll politely disagree! Nothing's really preventing you from rolling before your post, for one thing. You can click "dice" in the navbar instead of rolling directly from your post.
Fair enough! Full disclosure, I don't have a lot of experience using the dice functionality on this specific page, and my advice comes more from past forum RP experiences, not so much this site. I'd mention however that, unless specific stats are known to the players, resolving those calculations pre-post would still be a challenge in need of overcoming. After all, a hit roll is one thing, but to resolve the hit you need to know the foe's defensive stats. Doable, but it would require a more open-book approach to foes and would take away (I would think) some of the ability of the GM to fudge things for narrative purposes / to save players from bad luck.

[QUOTE="Primal Conundrum]GURPS stands for Generic Universal Roleplaying System. It's D6 based, classless system that can handle any character or setting you can think of. From what you're saying, it sounds like it has the amount of depth you're looking for. I think GURPS is too complex to bring to a forum directly (unless everyone involved already was comfortable with the system), but it may give you a very strong starting point for how to go about making a classless system.
Again though, I think you're either going to need to change your expectations a bit or else aim to go tabletop with this. Highly complex mechanical systems rely on being able to be quick with their calculations and the determination of outcomes. Pushing for a tabletop-complexity system is going to result in you having a hard time gathering people who are both interested and committed enough for such a game. I'm not saying you can't do it, and if you press on I certainly wish you success.

Fair enough! Full disclosure, I don't have a lot of experience using the dice functionality on this specific page, and my advice comes more from past forum RP experiences, not so much this site. I'd mention however that, unless specific stats are known to the players, resolving those calculations pre-post would still be a challenge in need of overcoming. After all, a hit roll is one thing, but to resolve the hit you need to know the foe's defensive stats. Doable, but it would require a more open-book approach to foes and would take away (I would think) some of the ability of the GM to fudge things for narrative purposes / to save players from bad luck.

[/QUOTE]
What if we made it simpler? Like for instance there is health and stamina. And I attack you with a "skill" then I would role dice ex.15-20(if you can do that?) and based on what I get depends on the damage. But no matter the damage the stamina has a set amount taken away. (Also this is a very small example obviously the really thing would be more complex with skill that do more that just "attack number 1")

I'm really not sure why you don't just use FATE Core. It's basically built to do what you're asking, if Crucible isn't right for you. I believe I even said as much to Alteras.

I suppose you could use Risus but that might even be too light.

Also, Primal - fair concerns, but I've never had a problem using full tabletop mechanics on RPN. The moment you introduce any kind of mechanic two-thirds of the community runs away in terror but the ones who stick around usually pick things up fine.

Grey said:
I'm really not sure why you don't just use FATE Core. It's basically built to do what you're asking, if Crucible isn't right for you. I believe I even said as much to Alteras.
I suppose you could use Risus but that might even be too light.

Also, Primal - fair concerns, but I've never had a problem using full tabletop mechanics on RPN. The moment you introduce any kind of mechanic two-thirds of the community runs away in terror but the ones who stick around usually pick things up fine.
Ok let pretend that I have never heard of any of that. I only started role-play a couple months ago. I won't know what "FATE core" is.

Grey said:
I assumed Alteras had passed all this on.
Fate Core

Rules Only Doc

Risus: The Anything RPG
This is the exact opposite of what I want. I was looking for advice to create my own system. I don't want to use someone else's. To be clear what I want to create something with a game based aspect to it but I want 60-70% to be story based, the rules are just to have a concrete way for death and killing.

If you want to create your own system, learn several other systems inside out first. Read through those links, learn how they each approach and deal with combat, and how that combat system fits within the overall system of the game.

Once you've done that, then try drafting up a system. It'll come out way, way better than it would if you just skimmed or completely skipped those links.

Sorry to basically just give you homework, but if you want to learn something, there's almost always going to be studying involved if you want to do it properly.

Yeah, Conundrum took the words out of my mouth. Developing a functional system is a skill, and if you want to do it, it behooves you to learn from more experienced and/or professional developers. I sure as hell can't teach you lessons I've spent seven years learning in a few posts.

It's no different from how if you want to write anything, you'd better be reading as much as possible in your spare time.

Trying to design your own system without learning about other systems is like trying to build a car because you saw a picture once. Sure, it has wheels and a nice paint job, but it's not going anywhere.

Grey said:
Yeah, Conundrum took the words out of my mouth. Developing a functional system is a skill, and if you want to do it, it behooves you to learn from more experienced and/or professional developers. I sure as hell can't teach you lessons I've spent seven years learning in a few posts.
It's no different from how if you want to write anything, you'd better be reading as much as possible in your spare time.

Trying to design your own system without learning about other systems is like trying to build a car because you saw a picture once. Sure, it has wheels and a nice paint job, but it's not going anywhere.
[QUOTE="Primal Conundrum]If you want to create your own system, learn several other systems inside out first. Read through those links, learn how they each approach and deal with combat, and how that combat system fits within the overall system of the game.
Once you've done that, then try drafting up a system. It'll come out way, way better than it would if you just skimmed or completely skipped those links.

Sorry to basically just give you homework, but if you want to learn something, there's almost always going to be studying involved if you want to do it properly.

[/QUOTE]
Ok I will look more into it. Thanks

Well if your wanting to focus more on story than dice rolls you might just use a simple number system and a realistic health stat.

So for instance each character will have some simple stat that is for skill and health ( or whatever you think works for the situation you want to put them in )

And as they go through the tasks of the roleplay their health will take a hit. Ex. they break a leg minus ten points of health. They just get tired maybe minus 1 or 5.

And the lower their health stat gets maybe the harder it is for them to complete their tasks. Maybe you subtract it from the skill stat or something.

As for fighting itself I usually just go way simple with this and tell everyone they have three options : Win, Lose, Draw.

Win is well they win. Lose is they lose, and Draw is they win but are injured or suffer some kind of penalty.

It's somewhat simplified yes but dice give me a headache so I like to make calculating things as simple as possible.

And I usually just like roll a random number 1 - 9. 7- 9 is a Win, 4 - 6 is a Draw, 1-3 is a Lose.

Not sure if any of that will help you but I figured I'd give it a shot.

He did state that he was going for a complex, in-depth combat system, rather than a rules-light one. Good to see another approach to combat, but I'm not sure if it's super relevant in this case.

nerdyfangirl said:
Well if your wanting to focus more on story than dice rolls you might just use a simple number system and a realistic health stat.
So for instance each character will have some simple stat that is for skill and health ( or whatever you think works for the situation you want to put them in )

And as they go through the tasks of the roleplay their health will take a hit. Ex. they break a leg minus ten points of health. They just get tired maybe minus 1 or 5.

And the lower their health stat gets maybe the harder it is for them to complete their tasks. Maybe you subtract it from the skill stat or something.

As for fighting itself I usually just go way simple with this and tell everyone they have three options : Win, Lose, Draw.

Win is well they win. Lose is they lose, and Draw is they win but are injured or suffer some kind of penalty.

It's somewhat simplified yes but dice give me a headache so I like to make calculating things as simple as possible.

And I usually just like roll a random number 1 - 9. 7- 9 is a Win, 4 - 6 is a Draw, 1-3 is a Lose.

Not sure if any of that will help you but I figured I'd give it a shot.
This was the basis for my idea when I created the post. I've changed some of the main parts and changed some of the environment and fighting aspects but none the less any input is helpful. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back