• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Nightshade & Gasoline

Mourning Dove

story enthusiast
You wake up with a jolt, a dull ache in the back of your head. 

Cold sweat is sticking to your temples. Your bedsheets are tangled around your ankles. Must have been another nightmare.

>look around

The room around you is dark, curtains drawn closed to block out the evening sun. There isn't much to see anyway. Just about what you'd expect from the apartment of an average college student: Mismatched furniture, old coffee cups, towering stacks of books on every available surface, a rusty old cauldron- Ah, right. You aren't exactly as average as you once used to be.

Coming from the bathroom door right beside the tiny kitchen area, you can hear a dull scratching sound. Did another stray cat get in through the window?

>[input command]

status-invetory-objective:

no injuries

slightly hungry

Inventory (no bag): 

-empty-

objective:

find the source of the scratching noise

(( Hello and welcome everyone to Nightshade & Gasoline, an urban fantasy/supernatural/maybe romance text quest adventure. 

Want to find out how to play?  Sure, head right inside this spoiler!

Commands:

This quest is meant to simulate old text adventure games. Instead of the usual options, you get to write your own commands.

You can do that by simply replying to this thread with a command. For example:

> get up

> pull back the curtain and take a look outside the window

> do the macarena

Feel free to include up to three commands in your reply.

Of course, you can also comment on the story, ask me OOC questions, and whatever else may suit your fancy.

Possibilities:

Endless. Feel free to get creative! Generally, actions like looking around and asking people questions are always a nice way to get a feel for the world around you. But really, you can do anything.

This, of course, leaves room for a lot of silly antics. While I'm looking forward to your prompts and the hilarity that may ensue, I'd like to heave a good balance between silly and plot-advancing commands. I'll be happy to indulge you, but I'd prefer not to spend five posts trying to eat a cactus.

Also, I will take the liberty of ignoring/not having our protagonist go through with certain commands if they're too extreme. Prompts like "> jump off a roof" or "> kill everyone" will be ignored.

Protagonist and plot:

Right now, our protagonist is a nameless college student, with some secrets and a past you may find out about in the course of our adventure.

I've considered letting you vote on their gender, but actually, I think I'd like to write them as non-binary using "they/them" pronouns

Once we get to a mirror, I'll let you customize their appearance and choose a name.

For now, I'll use objectives (found in the "status-inventory-objectives" right above this one) to guide you in a general direction. Once our introductory chapter is done, choosing our objectives is up to you. (If that works out alright. This is my first time doing something like this, so I'm just as curious as you to see how this turns out.)

I have several plot ideas for this adventure, but in the end, it's your decision what direction this story goes in. 

Lastly, this kind of modern/urban fantasy setting is largely inspired by bell,book,and candle, a wonderful (and incredibly long) Haikyuu!!AU by skittidyne. No knowledge of bell, book and candle is needed to understand this RP, and there are quite a few differences between our world and the world of bbac, but I hope to capture the same kind of feeling.))

Last edited by a moderator:
> Grab Phone

>Turn on Cell-phone light

> Look inside bathroom, but be prepared to bolt

(IDK if you wanted me to place it here)

>Grab Phone

You reach for your phone on the nightstand next to you and find it amidst the mess of paper and books. A few crumpled notes filled to the brink with scraggly handwriting and half-finished pentagrams tumble to the ground.

Your phone flashes to light. 20th of August, 6:15pm. No new messages.

>Turn on Cell-phone light

You click on the flashlight button. Immediately, you wish you hadn't. In the light your room is even messier than you remembered. You really need to tidy up sometime soon. Or at least shove all those stray clothes in a drawer.

>Look inside bathroom, but be prepared to bolt

Careful not to step on anything, you make your way over to the bathroom door. You grab the handle and take a deep breath, bracing yourself to slam the door shut should whatever you find inside not be... well, alive. Then, you pull it open.

Two bright, yellow-white orbs stare at you from the other end of the dim room, reflecting the light from your phone much like cat eyes. In fact, they're about the right size and height to belong to a stray cat and for a moment, you want to let out a relieved breath. Then the creature starts to move forward, the bright orbs swaying from side to side in a sluggish, stuttering, entirely unnatural manner.

You slam the door closed.

Your mind starts reeling with names and terms and drawings on old parchment. Imp. Trow. Poltergeist. Redcap? No – those live in old ruins. Shit. You should have paid more attention when Maeve was giving her lesson on lesser demons.

Either way, the thing can't be too dangerous. The bathroom window at the back of the room must still be open, so you could probably just grab it and throw it out there. Then again, maybe there's a smarter way to go about this.

no injuries

slightly hungry

Inventory (no bag):

Cellphone (currently holding)

objective:

Get rid of the spirit.

((I'm not going to describe the layout of every new room/place in full detail. If you'd like to know more though, you can always ask me to >look around/>examine. Or in this case perhaps >recall bathroom layout.

I'm not saying that's something you have to do right now though. I'm not going to bee too strict when it comes to this stuff ; meaning I'm not gonna go "sorry your action doesn't work because the widow is five inches further to the left. You're dead now."))

Last edited:
>look around room

You take a deep breath to calm your nerves and walk back over to the window to draw back the curtains. It's time to take a look at what you're working with.

You live in an old studio apartment barely big enough to fit the little furniture you have. All in all, it's pretty standard fare: There's a tiny, embarrassingly underused kitchenette tucked into a corner, a small table, a cluttered bookshelf, a wardrobe, and of course your king-size bed. On the wall facing the window, there's a wooden door leading out into the staircase, with your coat and backpack hanging next to it.

Nothing all too interesting – safe for a few details, like the laundry line with dried herbs hanging over your head, or the small glass vials on the kitchen counter, or the empty bronze cauldron with a rune etched into it that is currently collecting dust on your shelf.

You wish you could put this stuff to good use and brew up a banishment spell, but alas, you... don't really know how to. And even if you did, you probably don't possess enough magic to cast that level of spell. Or any other levels, really. You kind of suck.

>grab any sharp objects

The only thing you can think of are your kitchen knives. At least you don't have a hard time choosing – you have exactly two, one of them significantly bigger than the other one. You take it. The blade is about 8 inches long and should be pretty sharp. If it isn't, you're not the one to blame. You've barely used the thing.

You look at the cellphone still in your other hand. Should you put it away for the fight in case you need a free hand, or should you keep using it as a flashlight?

>try to remember what happened yesterday

You try to recall what you did yesterday and... it isn't all that hard, actually. It was just a day ago, after all.

You got up early (nowadays, that means before noon) and started revising your notes in preparation for tonight, frequently getting distracted by your phone, your laptop, and pretty much anything, actually.

Around 2pm, Adrian, your neighbor from downstairs, came knocking to offer you some leftover cake. You accepted, but were quick to shut the door on him, lest his hopeful smile guilt trip you to invite him in for coffee. You'd rather not have to explain to him why you have a book titled "The Most Common Uses of Demon Blood" lying around. Amongst other things.

The rest of the day was pretty eventless. You continued studying, now and then stopping to try and actually brew up a spell. Honestly, you were hoping you'd be able to put something together to show off tonight, but it looks like you're going to the Coven empty-handed.

You wonder what Maeve would think about that. You were expecting her to check in with you yesterday evening, but-

A rattling noise from your bathroom distracts you. You should really get this spirit situation taken care of.

Magic: low

Health: no injuries

Inventory (no bag):

Kitchen knife (currently holding)

Cellphone (currently holding)

objective:

Get rid of the spirit.

I'd like to mention: in case several people answer to a post, I'll try to follow all their commands (and arrange them in an order that makes sense).

Should two commands directly contradict each other, I'll either follow the command with the most votes (that means if other people have seconded it or have given a very similar command), or in case of a tie it'll be first come first serve.

So, guys, are you ready for our first fight?

Last edited:
> Call someone who can help

> Look for book that helps with protecting from spirits (if have one) and set up protection

> Talk to spirit in hopes of finding something out or at least until someone comes to help.

>Call someone who can help

Maybe fighting this thing alone isn't such a great idea after all. You try make a mental list of people you could call for backup. You can think of exactly one person: Maeve. Problem is, Maeve doesn't have a phone.

As of late, Maeve isn't able to have a phone.

Well, she'd mock you for calling her about a mere lesser spirit anyway.

You can't exactly go and ask one of your neighbors to come and help me get rid of that weird thing in my bathroom you probably aren't able to see.

Looks like you're on your own for now.

>Look for a book that helps with protecting from spirits and set up protection

You hurry over to your bookshelf and look for something useful. The Science of Basic Pentagrams, Enchanted Weapons, some embarrassing teen fantasy novels, Witch Herbs and Common- Ah!

You pull out a book titled A Guide to Lesser Demons and start browsing. You find what you're looking for under the section Imps:

Small, mischievous creatures with animalistic features. Aggressive towards other spirits, magic users, and humans with magic perception. No magic abilities. Not venomous.

Most commonly, they are the souls of young children corrupted by loneliness.

Below that, there's a small list with possible repellants. Most of them are herbs you've never heard of, but two things catch your eye:

Laurel (fresh or dried), salt

You snatch a twig of dried laurel from the laundry line and tuck it behind your ear. Then, you go over to the kitchen, lay down your phone on the counter, and grab a fistful of salt instead.

You really hope none of your neighbors decide to pay you a visit right now. You probably look ridiculous.

>Talk to spirit in hopes of finding something out or at least until someone comes to help.

You go over to the bathroom door, fully armed with knife and cooking salt, and utter a tentative "Hello?".

The door rattles and you startle backwards. It sounds like the creature is throwing itself against the wood repeatedly.

A paragraph read in some dusty tome flashes through your mind:

Like most demons, lesser demons do not retain their consciousness once corrupted. Some may be smarter than others, but all are driven by their basic instincts and will attack any spirit or magic bearer weaker than them, trying to consume their soul.

"Never mind", you grumble. Looks like you'll have to go in there sooner or later.

Inventory (no bag):

Kitchen knife (currently holding)

Cooking salt (currently holding)

objective:

Get rid of the imp.

Last edited:
>get a cup of water, put the salt in, and dip your knife in the salted water

In a fit of inspiration, you dissolve the salt and coat your blade in saltwater. You look at your enhanced weapon, feeling quite clever.

That imp better fear for it's life (Life? Death? Undead existence?).

Inventory (no bag):

salty knife (not in an emotional sense, litterally) (currently holding)

objective:

Get rid of the imp.

Last edited:
>open bathroom door

>battle cry

>attack imp with salty knife

Last edited by a moderator:
>open bathroom door

Your hand on the door handle is shaking a little bit. Treacherous thing.

"Here goes nothing", you murmur and push.

The imp is staring at you from under the sink, eyes big and lifeless. You see it bending down, getting ready to pounce.

>battle cry

With your best impression of a battle cry, you barge in. The thing lets out a guttural screech, momentarily thrown off, and staggers backwards.

>attack imp with salty knife

You take your chance and dash forward, bringing you knife down on the imp. The creature hisses and jumps back, but not fast enough. Your knife catches on its shoulder, leaving a shallow gash.

A few drops of black, tarry liquid fall to the ground. The thing is shaking, its eyes blazing yellow. For a moment, it looks ready to attack, but it veers back instead, making a beeline for the window. The salt and laurel seem to be working.

The imp tries to grab on to the window ledge and pull itself up. Its injured arm gives in and it sags back down, but it's quick to try again.

You could let it escape and hope that's the last of it? Or should you could go for the killing blow?

Inventory (no bag):

salty knife (not in an emotional sense) (currently holding)

objective:

Get rid of the imp.

Last edited:
>let it live

You lower your knife, and the imp manages to pull itself up through the window, leaving only a small trace of black blood that slowly begins to evaporate before your eyes.

It's for the better, probably. The thing's too small to be a real danger to anyone, so what's the point of killing it?

It's only now you realise how hard you're breathing. How are you supposed to face off against actual demons if a little thing like this gets you all worked up? You go over to the sink, bracing yourself against the cold ceramic, and look at yourself in the mirror. God, what a mess you are.

>what do you look like?

Character creation time! Go ahead and gimme as many adjectives and other descriptors as you want, and I'll try to incorporate as many as possible.

While we're at it, you can also go ahead and choose a name. Since our protagonist is non-binary, I'd prefer if you picked a unisex one.

I'd like to wait with continuing this till 2-3 people have answered if possible. Anyone out there? I really hope you enjoy this, guys.

Also, thanks tons for your support so far, @KuroNoKami39!

Inventory (no bag): 

salty knife (not in an emotional sense) (currently holding)

objective:

Decide what you look like (lucky you. Not everyone gets to do that.)

name- James

short brown hair...

green eyes...

err...

short and thin!

(all the adjectives and descriptors i can think of currently)

and your welcome, glad to be a supporter!

ooo... what if they had that eye condition that made their eyes two different colors?  (apologies but i can't remember the name of the condition)

one red and one green!

>what do you look like?

The short answer is: Exhausted.

You're still breathless, your cheeks slightly read from the excitement of your impromptu imp chase. Your short black hair is a complete mess, and there's a smudge of... something on your face. Maybe some stray ink from last night's cramming session? Well, at least it's not all that noticeable among all the freckles.

You're about to splash your face with some water, but stop mid-motion. Your reflection stares back at you. Something is off about your eyes.

You've always had a mild case of heterochromia - with your left eye being a warm brown, and your right one just slightly lighter, a bit more towards olive. It was an infinitesimal difference. People barely even noticed it. Now, however... Well, the color of your eyes seems just
slightly more intense. Maybe you're going crazy.

You shake your head to clear your thoughts and continue examining your reflection. Short, skinny, kind bad posture. You've alway felt like your arms are just a bit too long for your body, but maybe you can sell that as "I have good reach for demon hunting". Who knows, maybe your messy appearance will give you the air of a battle hardened warrior. God, you really hope the people at that coven won't see right through you and realise that you're just some clueless loser in way over their head. You take a look at your black shirt, black jacket, and, um, black pants and consider changing. Do you have anything cooler? Black's pretty cool, right? Do you even still own clothes that aren't black? You've kinda decided that color coordinating your clothes every morning is too much of a hassle a while ago.

And oh yeah, there's still a branch of laurel behind your ear.

A loud ringing noise from your kitchen puts an end to your musings and almost gives you a heart attack in the process. Shit, that's your alarm. You need to get going and head to the Coven in about ten minutes.

You pause. Is there anything else you need to prepare? You could probably clean up a bit, or maybe you could grab a bag and stuff some supplies in there. You don't think you need anything though. This is supposed to be more of a job interview, not some kind of magic test. God, please don't let this be a test.

>[input command]

no injuries
slightly exhausted

Magic:

Magic power: very low
Known Spells: None
Magical Assets: None

Inventory (no bag):

Salty Knife/Glorious Imp Slayer (currently holding)
Dried Laurel (equipped)
Set of black clothes (equipped)

Objective:

Get ready to head out to the Coven

–––

Hey I'm...back? I remembered this was a thing and really wanted to continue it.
Thank you for all your appearance suggestions, guys! I hope I smushed them up nice. Some might still find their way into the story at a later point.
Oh yeah, oh yeah and I'm doing some light editing of the previous posts as we speak. Mostly just timeline stuff and some name changes. I've got a clearer idea of how the magic/spirit system works in this world now, so I wanna make sure everything holds together well. No need to reread the whole thing though.

>Grab a bag with minimal supplies
>Look around for a quick snack to relieve hunger and magic power
>Quick grooming in the bathroom before leaving

>Make some novice wards near the windows to keep future intruders at bay. At least some Laurel or salt lines to keep the imp from returning if such an idea came to its vile mind. (If possible)
>Breakfast. And I mean Breakfast.
>Clean thyself in the bathroom, good sir.

>close all windows
>take phone
>change into black pants with zipper pockets and a really warm form fitting navy hoodie, keep black undershirt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back