[Nightmares of the Second Age] Numen and Elysion

Exthalion

Elder Member
The secondary arena lacked the formal seats of the one the Twilights had vacated. It was a square courtyard paved with large stones and enclosed by a high wooden wall with a roofed porch. Various mundane weapons hung from racks around the outer walls.

Elysion turned to his companion and said, "I suppose I technically issued the challenge, leaving the specifics of the fight to you. "

"You favor swords too, no? Then we shall fight with them."

She turns to a nearby wall, grabbing a pair of straight swords, then tosses one to him. "Or would you prefer your own weapon?"

"I would prefer a short sword actually. This is a tad heavy for my liking."

What is the "prism" in your stat block?

"Fair enough," he says, tossing him a shortsword. "I confess I've had some problems with assassins lately. Took some time to beg Kan-Hur for fencing lessons, in exchange for some assistance on one of his projects. I'm not allowed to talk about it, of course, I'm under Oath, but suffice to say; it'll open some eyes at the Spring Panoply."

"Indeed..."

Reaching into his robes he drew forth something like a seed formed from polished obsidian. With a loud crack it split and tendrils of molten gold burrowed under his skin, crawling up Elysion's arm rapidly, and weaving themselves together into yantra designs as they went. By the time it had reached his shoulder his hand had grown as wide across as his torso and the growth only continued as it progressed. When it was finished he stood at twice his previous height and covered with patterns of occult design.

A far deeper voice then was normal spoke out now, "Perhaps a larger sword would not be amiss after all."

As he spoke he brought up his fingers and snapped, bringing a cloud of floating automata. Each grasped a an plate of brilliant gold and with a flurry they surrounded him; bolting, screwing, latching, and otherwise attaching the superheavy plate around him. When the work was done they flew away leaving him looking like a small warstrider.

"Not sure of the aesthetics yet, but the effects have so far been promising."

"Oh, very nice," she nods. She closes her eyes, grits her teeth in concentration, then when they open again, they're glowing from within with a golden radiant, and a quartet of feathered wings sprouts from her back, through carefully-wrought slits in her commando armor. She has a longsword and a shortsword, one in each hand, and stands in a ready posture. Seeing with sight beyond sight, she turns her essential senses on Elysion, seeking to analyze and understand his Charms, his style and panoply.

"When I get the permits for my celestial battle armor, I'll definitely get something like it. Assuming the Arms Overseers don't just flat-out deny my requests," she grumbles. "All right. Draw your weapon, and let's get this party started!"

Join Battle: 1 success :(

[dice]6363[/dice]

Last edited by a moderator:
[dice]6512[/dice]
Elysion shifts his fingers, holding the sword in his hands almost like a table knife. His long finger along the blade gave him control over the tip as fine as a surgeon's knife. With the slightest twist it caught the light and flashed like liquid fire, a shining river that flowed down his arm until he was shining like a bar of metal from the forge.

Activating Protection of Celestial Bliss and Infinite Melee Mastery for 12 motes.

Assuming this is a mundane straight sword, my base PDV is ((6+6+1)/2)+2+2=11

The free excellency dice I can roll provide me with two successes (see below) raising my final dv to 15. (This resets per turn so I will roll more later. I can also spent motes on the excellency if you attack to push it higher.

[dice]6513[/dice]
OOC: I am so sorry about taking so long, I honestly thought I was waiting on you.

"Then, don't mind if I do!"

Numen's straight sword lights up in a corona of Essence fire as she speeds in, seeking a way through Elysion's defenses. His heavy armor was quite daunting, but in its own way it reassured her a little; at least there wouldn't be as much chance of hurting him by accident!

Using the elbow of her armor as a makeshift whetstone, she swiftly polishes the flat of the short sword into a makeshift mirror that reflects the bonfire of her anima off the long sword, reflecting the image into Elysion's visor as she thrusts twice; once for each side of his body. The strikes are poor, however, and she is disgusted by her own poor showing as she slides past her fellow Twilight.

"Don't take that the wrong way," she says, recovering into a defensive posture. "That was not meant as an insult."

I missed your question about the Prism: it is a Twice-Striking Lightning Prism, which temporarily increases your Essence rating by 2 for the purpose of one Charm or spell, provided you spend an extra WP to kick it in.

Numen activates Protection of Celestial Bliss and Immortal Blade Triumphant on the way in, flurrying 2 attacks. With stunt bonus factored in, they weigh in at 19/18 dice, or 5 and 6 successes each.

[dice]6525[/dice]

[dice]6526[/dice]

Willpower: 9/10

Personal: 28/28

Peripheral: 39/57

Active magic effects:

Protection of Celestial Bliss (+1 Parry DV, weapon does not reduce DVs when attacking, 3/fight perfectly block an attack)

Immortal Blade Triumphant (+6 to Parry DV when using this weapon, stunt dice/virtue channels add to damage as well as attack rolls, convert 6 dice to successes when rolling damage; end the effect while making an attack to instead add 6 automatic damage levels and ignore soak and hardness. Anima banner is considered to be full iconic when in effect)

Lidless Demon Eye (grants All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight)

Unbreakable Bones of Stone (+6 Str/Sta)

Sunlit Straight Sword: Speed 5 Acc 19(+4) Dam 14L (+3L) DV 16(+1) Rate 2

Health

- 0 [ ]

- 1 [ ] [ ]

- 2 [ ] [ ]

- 4 [ ]

Incapacitated [ ]

Dying [ ] [ ]

"No offense taken. However..."

For something as large as Elysion now was, he moved remarkably quickly. He brought his sword in a stone shattering feint he knew would be blocked. Yet the tremendous force caused him to rebound in a circle, bringing his sword around again. Just as the Numen's blade came up to block it he pulled his arm closer and let the flat of the interposing sword run along his armor in a shower of sparks, bring the point of his sword to a weak spot. Though the position was awkward he thrust anyway.

"...the game has only just started."

Okay, I freely admit I have been in combat all of twice in Exalted. That said, I don't think your last action was legal. Here is what I think is going on:

I won join battle with 4 successes so I start on tick 0. Your action count was 4-1=3 So your first action was on tick 3.

I activated Protection of Celestial Bliss and Infinite Melee Mastery. Since IMM is Simple it has a speed of 6 so I act again on tick 6.

Shape Terrestrial Circle Sorcery is a Speed 5, DV-2 action which was necessary to cast Unbreakable Bones of Stone. The spell will be caste on your next action on tick 8. However, you cannot use Charms, including reflexive charms, as part of a Shape or Cast sorcery action.

So, if I understand the rules correctly, your last action was not allowed. I am going to assume that you didn't cast the spell for now since you flurried. Except... Immortal Blade Triumphant is also a simple charm meaning you can't flurry in an action in which you activate it. So that pushes you to tick 9.

Except... you attacked so I am not certain what exactly you want your action to be.
That said, [dice]6622[/dice]

Plus 1 success from spending a point of WP gives me 17 or 1 over your DV. So damage roll:

[dice]6624[/dice]

Raw Damage 9

Rolled Damage 6

I don't see your soak.

Willpower: 8/10

Peripheral: 48/63

Soak:22B/19L/17A

Hardness: 11B/11L

Active magic effects:

Protection of Celestial Bliss: +2 Parry DV, weapon does not reduce DVs when attacking, 3/fight perfectly block an attack

Chaotomorphic Symbiote: +4 Str/Sta, +several HL (see below)

Straight Sword:

Speed 4 | Accuracy 14(+2) | Damage 8(+3) | Rate 2

Health

- 0 [ ][ ][ ]

- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

- 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

- 4 [ ]

Incapacitated [ ]

Dying [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Numen realizes Elysion's gambit the moment their weapons touch; but rather than shy away, she forces her sword back against his, the metal screaming as the opposed blades sharpen each other to a glowing edge before their hilts connect and Numen's superior strength can force Elysion's steel back.

After that, she backs away toward the porch. He was bigger, so it would be folly to fight where he could make use of his size, reach and strength.

Anyways, Numen stunts her defense for 2d and uses it to improve her DV to 18. The bonus WP goes back to refilling her Willpower to 10.

She then backs off to the roofed porch to use it as cover against Elysion's attacks.

Willpower: 10/10

Peripheral: 39/57

Active magic effects:

Protection of Celestial Bliss (+1 Parry DV, weapon does not reduce DVs when attacking, 3/fight perfectly block an attack)

Immortal Blade Triumphant (+6 to Parry DV when using this weapon, stunt dice/virtue channels add to damage as well as attack rolls, convert 6 dice to successes when rolling damage; end the effect while making an attack to instead add 6 automatic damage levels and ignore soak and hardness. Anima banner is considered to be full iconic when in effect)

Lidless Demon Eye (grants All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight)

Unbreakable Bones of Stone (+6 Str/Sta)

Sunlit Straight Sword: Speed 5 Acc 19(+4) Dam 14L (+3L) DV 16(+1) Rate 2

Defenses

Dodge DV:
5 (-2 Mobility penalty)

Parry DV: 16

Soak: 18L/16B/14A (4L/7B/0A from Stamina, 9L/9B/9A from Gunzosha Armor, 5L/3B/5A from Silken Armor), Hardness 5L/5B/5A

Dodge MDV: 12

Parry MDV: 5 (Investigate)

Health

- 0 [ ]

- 1 [ ] [ ]

- 2 [ ] [ ]

- 4 [ ]

Incapacitated [ ]

Dying [ ] [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping to press his advantage, Elysion continued his attack. He was unused to this size and strength, so he stopped trying to act like a swordsman in a duel. His arms were mass, his swings were velocity, everything that followed was physics, and he was a physicist more than a fighter.

Attack roll:

[dice]434[/dice]

Failed to connect
Willpower: 8/10

Peripheral: 48/63

Soak:22B/19L/17A

Hardness: 11B/11L

Active magic effects:

Protection of Celestial Bliss: +1 Parry DV, weapon does not reduce DVs when attacking, 3/fight perfectly block an attack

Chaotomorphic Symbiote: +4 Str/Sta, +several HL (see below)

Straight Sword:

Speed 4 | Accuracy 14(+2) | Damage 8(+3) | Rate 2

Health

- 0 [ ][ ][ ]

- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

- 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

- 4 [ ]

Incapacitated [ ]

Dying [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back