Other Night terrors/sleep paralysis

Cavil

idgaf honestly
Ever experienced these? I think I had my first case of night terror or sleep paralysis two nights ago. It was... well, terrifying. I was awake but... still dreaming and I couldn't move or speak. I had to stop someone from doing something horrible and graphic to a loved one but I couldn't. I tried to but I was speaking in slow motion. I had to watch it. I heard myself speak to the person. Telling them to stop. I was talking like I super drunk, slurring and such. I saw myself in my bed. My eyes saw my bedroom like I was sitting up in bed. 

2nd weirdest dream ever. I remember walking up absolutely terrified... It frightened my bedmate. She was concerned for me.

Is that sleep  paralysis or a night terror?

Did you grow out of it? Did they stop? 

To me that sounds like a mix of both. I experience sleep paralysis but with me I usually don't see anything. All I experience is the inability to move or speak, and my breathing is reeeeally slow. All I can do is look around and muster up the strength to move and fully wake up again. I still experience it, it used to be more frequent when I was little but now it only happens like once to a few times a month. It comes and goes.

Your situation sounds honestly more on the paralysis side, because in sleep paralysis people do have reports of seeing things. Night terrors are more of the wake up screaming and completely stressed kind of deal. 

Maybe you were just waking up from a nightmare but your body was still asleep, causing the paralysis? Just throwing out an idea. 

Ay Cav. I used to have sleep paralysis when I was younger and it stopped for a few years. Recently, as in perhaps the last 6-7 months, I've had sleep paralysis maybe once a month. Supposedly it's something that's far less common with age, but my sister (who has ten years on me) has been experiencing increased sleep paralysis as well in the last few years. We've confronted our parents about it and it turns out my mother had it pretty commonly when she was our age as well. It seems like it, with many things, can be hereditary. 

I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it continues to occur for you. If it does continue, though, perhaps you might seek out your parents or grandparents and see if they recall something similar. 

If you're curious to my sleep paralysis experience, I have never had severe hallucinations. When I was younger I used to nap a lot on the couch with while facing the back of the couch (so I can't see anything but upholstery). When I would wake up with sleep paralysis, I couldn't move and I felt as if something was watching me from across the room. It was strange because I certainly couldn't see it, but I knew exactly where it was -- standing right on the border between tile and wood. Gave me the creeps. Nowadays when I sleep paralysis, I never hallucinate. When I finally get my body back, I remember perhaps hearing incomprehensible whispers, but I'm far too groggy or panicked to remember correctly.

My biggest tip for sleep paralysis is never open your eyes and whatever you do, just try to relax and fall back asleep no matter how frightening it might be.

Honestly, I couldn't answer your question since im fairly curious about it as well. Ive actually had a few night terrors for the past few months. Some dreams and nightmares that I have had are consistent and keep replaying everyday. Its kinda weird, not really sure why I ended up getting them this age since I haven't had any experiences with night terrors/sleep paralysis when I was younger.

I experience night terrors & sleep paralysis with severe hallucinations when I am crazy stressed out or have been extremely exhausted. I suppose you could say I grew into them because I don't recall having them before I turned 20 and they have only increased as I've grown older. It's hard in the moment to tell yourself that it's not real and you'll be okay, but after the fact I find it best to reorient myself. Yes, I'm in my room. Yes, I'm alright and I can move. Yes, I can breath. And then focus on the ceiling and my breathing until I can fall asleep again.

Hi Coin how are u. I know for a fact my mom has pretty intense dreams/nightmares because she's told me but nothing like what I've been experiencing. My dad doesn't have much to say on the matter. The only dream he's ever told me about was one where he was driving a very big truck full of stuff down his street. I remember because I was staying at his house that weekend and he burst through my doorway at 3am to tell me about this apparently amazing dream. This was about a month ago.

Yeah I feel like someone is always watching me when I'm laying in bed. Sometimes I have to rearrange my room to make it look like its just furniture and not a figure ready to murder me. That definitely helps sometimes. Its so hard to convince myself of reality. I'm just getting used to them but I hope they don't stay long. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back