Perception 4, Intelligence 4, Wits 3

Abilities

Dawn: Archery 2, Brawl 0, Martial Arts 1, Melee* 4, Thrown 0

Zenith: Endurance* 3, Performance 0, Presence 1, Resistance 0, Survival* 5

Twilight: Craft 1, Investigation* 3, Lore 1, Medicine 0, Occult 0

Night: Athletics* 2, Awareness* 3, Dodge* 5, Larceny* 3, Stealth* 3

Eclipse: Bureaucracy 0, Linguistics 0, Ride* 5, Sail 0, Socialize 0

Charms

Excellent Strike, One Weapon Two Blows, Peony Blossom Attack, Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit, Unshakable Bloodhound Technique, Ten Magistrate Eyes, Crafty Observation Method, Judge’s Ear Technique, Sensory Acuity Prana, Reed in the Wind, Reflex Sidestep Technique, Shadow Over Water, Seven Shadow Evasion, Flow Like Blood, Seasoned Criminal Method, Easily Overlooked Presence Method, Master Horseman’s Eye, Spirit-Steadying Assurances, Steed-Sustaining Method, Flashing Thunderbolt Speed

Virtues

Compassion 2

Conviction 3

Temperance 3

Valor 2

Virtue Flaw: Contempt of the Virtuous

Essence

Rating 3

Personal 16

Peripheral 38

Committed 3

Combat

Base Initiative: 7

Dodge Pool: 13

Soak: 1L/3B (Buff Jacket 4L/7B)

Fist: Speed 7, Accuracy 6, Damage 2B, Defense 7, Rate 5

Kick: Speed 4, Accuracy 6, Damage 5B, Defense 2, Rate 3

Short Daiklave: Speed 10, Accuracy 12, Damage 6L, Defense 9, Rate 6

Backgrounds

Artifact 2: Arturo wields an orichalcum short daiklave that he has taken to calling the Aurum Horseblade. Arturo reclaimed this blade from an ancient cache that he had once maintained in a former life.

Backing 2: Arturo has a post as a Marukani circuit rider and still fulfills his duties as both an investigator and courtier whenever his travels bring him back to Alliance lands.

Contacts 3: Arturo has developed several reputable sources of information, as well as a smattering of less reputable sorts, throughout the Marukan Alliance and adjacent kingdoms.

Resources 2: Arturo receives a stipend for his services to the Alliance as a circuit rider.  The allowance affords him a comfortable lifestyle, though not an ostentatious one.

Notes

Arturo has Craft 1, which represents an apprentice level knowledge of blacksmithing.  Arturo is fluent in Riverspeak.  His short daiklave was obtained during play and the ranking in his Artifact background are therefore not factored in to the overall expenditure of points.

Experience (124)

Abilities 36: Archery +1, Martial Arts +1, Melee +1, Endurance +2, Presence +1, Investigation +1, Athletics +1, Awareness +1, Dodge +2

Essence 16: Essence +1

Charms 72: One Weapon Two Blows, Peony Blossom Attack, Crafty Observation Method, Reflex Sidestep Technique, Seven Shadow Evasion, Flow Like Blood, Easily Overlooked Presence Method, Steed-Sustaining Method, Flashing Thunderbolt Speed
DESCRIPTION
Arturo Shen was born and raised on the plains of the Marukan Alliance.  He grew up in a small village outside of the Celeren fortress-manse, the son of a blacksmith who made a fair trade shoeing horses and crafting various farming implements.  As a youth, Arturo assisted in his father’s forge and worked as a hired hand on the outlying ranches.  Like most of Marukan’s native born, Arturo learned to ride at a young age and showed proficiency in horsemanship before most children show proficiency in walking.

Arturo was known as a reserved individual who typically kept to himself and stayed true to the task at hand.  While solitary by nature, Arturo was never given to aloofness and always had a friendly and approachable demeanor.  He spoke easily to people and exhibited a simple sense of country etiquette and politeness.  Most people thought highly of Arturo and appreciated his strong work ethic.  Arturo was a trusted worker who never lacked for a job.

Arturo was also possessed of a quietly inquisitive nature.  He was an unerring judge of character and human behavior.  Arturo was capable of reading a person in the same manner that a keen-eyed merchant might appraise trade goods.  Able to easily discern untruthfulness, Arturo earned an elevated level of respect among the horse community and was personally responsible for running off more than one charlatan peddling falsehoods.  

As Arturo’s status grew, important people began to take note of the unassuming ranch worker.  Arturo was approached by the council of elders, who saw promise in the young man.  They offered Arturo a position as a circuit rider, which he readily accepted.

Arturo served faithfully in his post, assigned to the 5th Circuit, which encompassed the lands on Marukan’s southern border.  He reliably delivered mail and correspondence, often faring inclement and harsh weather in order to stay timely.  Arturo also kept a wary eye towards the shadowlands surrounding Thorns, reporting vital intelligence back to the council on Mask of Winter’s movements along the border.

As a circuit rider, Arturo was most valued as an investigator.  He successfully solved and prosecuted the most major of crimes throughout the Marukan Alliance, often times being specifically requested for cases in other Circuits.  Arturo developed a reputation for unswerving vigilance, often dogging the most elusive bandits to weary surrender.  His integrity was above reproach and his dedication unquestioned.  Arturo was a hero amongst the lauded ranks of Marukan’s circuit riders.

Arturo’s Exaltation came upon the cusp of death.  Arturo had been investigating the theft of horses among the ranches near the border town of Mesa.  His inquiries led him to a ring of bandits who had been absconding with Marukani steeds for resale to unscrupulous Guild merchants.  However, Arturo’s meddling had not gone unnoticed and the conspirators sought to silence the troublesome circuit rider.  

Before Arturo could expose the plot, he was ambushed by a host of assailants who struck under the light of a full moon.  Arturo fought valiantly, but was overcome and believed slain.  The brigands bound Arturo’s body in chains and cast him into a river.  As his body sank into the silt, a light appeared above Arturo, filtering through the water like rays of pure sunshine.

In his mind, Arturo heard a deep baritone voice speaking to him, saying, “Cast off your chains and rise, Exalted of the Unconquered Sun.  You are my justice, to be set upon those who would do evil and threaten the sanctity of my Creation.  Be my left hand that strikes from the veil of darkness, a hidden sun stalking the night.  Let the vile and forsaken know my wrath, from which there is no shelter.  Be born anew, Arturo Shen!â€

Let the record show that I rated this character "good."

That being said:

While Shen is definitely solid - his backstory demonstrates that you were paying attention when you made him - he is nothing new.  His concept is archetypal at best; the less charitable might call it run-of-the-mill or boring.  Now, I've seen players take fairly stock concepts and flesh them out into interesting, complex characters, but without seeing him in play, I can't give Shen that much credit.  A hard-working country gentleman motivated by a sense of justice would be a good neighbor, but if I had to play him I'd be bored to tears.

If I may editorialize for a moment, one of the most fascinating and worthwhile things about the Solars is how their greatness is always underscored by elements of tyranny and madness.  They are tragic characters, despite the anime flair of their battles, and like them dead Greeks would've told you, all tragic heroes have heroic flaws.  I see no flaws in Shen - he is a perfectly nice, good man.  As I said: bored to tears.

Without the element of tragedy, without moral compromise and treachery and the death of loved ones, Exalted is just a high-powered hack-fest.  And if your character doesn't have those elements on his/ her own, it's all on the Storyteller to provide them.  While this can work (I'd like to think that as an ST I've forced the evolution of my PCs via heavy doses of pity and fear), it's not the best it could be.

Shen is good - merely good.  Unless you really pull out the stops when you play him, he will remain so.

Shen is a good concept, but I would advise playing up his Flaw more. Make him an arrogant ass when he's breaking Limit, have him treat wrongdoers like the scum of the earth they are and generally give him some flaws as a person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back