• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy New to RP, but would like to invite you on an adventure in T'var.

Artemiss

of Edema Ruh
Raj'iit opens the door to the tavern of the Lusty Leopard, as the rain around him falls in droves. The bar is alive and bustling as the workers from the mines and merchants alike rejoice in a hearty drink at the celebration of the marriage of Lady Calmore and Lord B'tardi. As Raj'iit approaches the barkeep, he gently draws a coin from his purse and lays it on the counter.

"A warm meal and a strong drink for Raj'iit, if you would please"

The large human man behind the counter turns to him. In a booming bellow, the man proclaims: "Of course, feline creature, feel free to take a seat in my tavern and the food will be brought to you shortly!"

Raj'iit turns away, drawing his hood over his face, retreating to the corner table, surveying the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riedus opened the door to the Lusty Leopard, his hood covering his face and head as the rain fell on him, harder than before. Closing the door a few of the people looked at him spitting on the ground and calling him things like mutant. A drunkard staggered up to the grizzled Riedus, blocking the way to the bar.

"Friend. Mind buying me a drink." The drunkard asked, his words slurred.

"No." Riedus said, looking up at the Man, his cat eyes staring at the drunk, Shoving past him, making the drunk fall to the ground. Walking over to the bar he lowered his hood and looked at the barkeep.

"Ah, Riedus. Good to see ye. Need me to get ye a room?" The Barkeep asked, before looking at the Drunkard who was now behind Riedus.

"No thank you, Johnus. I'll take some mead though. Just finished a contract. Might Head back to Yrens. See how the city is. Get some more work." Riedus replied, putting a hefty bag of gold on the table, "Take it. As thanks for letting me stay here time and time again."

"Oi. Mista. With that much coin ye could certainly buy me some mead. Can ye not?" The drunk asked, putting a hand on Riedus' shoulder. Riedus turned around and looked at the Drunk. Moving his finger, performing the Axii sign on the drunk.

"Leave. Go home and spend your coin on your family." Riedus said before turning back around towards Johnus.

"Aye. I'll be leavin' now. Spend me coin on me wife." the drunk said, staggering out of the tavern and into the rain.

"Sorry Johnus." Riedus said, taking the mug of mead as Johnus set it down on the table.

"It isn't a problem. Ye are practically family. You've saved me and my lasses hide more than enough times." Johnus said, a grin on his face as he took the pouch of coin, "So, what monster was it this time?"

"Duke Everton. He had been taking whores and beggars from the slums and toruturing and killing them for his own amusement." Riedus said, taking a sip of his mead.

"Ah. Good. Bastard needed to learn a lesson if ye ask me." Johnus said as he cleaned a mug. Riedus merely nodded and sipped on his mead.

As he was enjoying his meal of mashed potatoes and small pork cutlets, Raj'iit stopped a moment to survey his food. Picking up one of the cutlets with his long, slender fingers, he twisted the meat around in mid air, straining to feel the visible heat rising from it's surface, but feeling nothing more than an icy chill to his core. Sighing as he ultimately knew his small endeavor would be fruitless, he casually placed the pork in his mouth, chewing without satisfaction.

After a short and uneventful meal, he thought about seeking a room for the night, however as he was beginning to arise from the table, a crash in the room occurred. Mildly interested, Raj'iit looked up to see a large, drunk patron of the bar who he had seen upon his own entry, crashing to the ground in bewilderment, as a large, grizzled old man strode by. As the old man began speaking to the barkeep, Raj'iit instead eyed the man on the ground, who began to rise, flustered from the embarrassment.

A few patrons around Raj'iit chuckled seeing the fat, drunk man struggle to rise.

"Oi. Mista. With that much coin ye could certainly buy me some mead. Can ye not?" The baron patron sputtered out nearly incoherently

Raj'iit then looked to the older man, who turned to the bar patron with a nonchalant look, casually raising his fingers, and then speaking in a low voice.

"Leave. Go home and spend your coin on your family." The old man spoke out, with a slight hint of annoyance in his voice.

To Raj'iit's surprise, the bar patron stood still for a few seconds, staring directing into the sharp eyes of the older man, saying nothing. Then, almost as if something changed in his brain, he blinked three times, and shuddered slightly.

"Aye. I'll be leavin' now. Spend me coin on me wife." The patron proclaimed somewhat hesitantly as he stumbled towards the door.

The older man turned back to the counter, resuming his conversation, as the patron waddled his way to the door, brushing up against the large oak door, pushing it out into the cold, rainy night. Raj'iit could see through the window adjacent to the entrance the man walking slowly through the muddy street, eventually sitting down on a crate under a shed not far across the street. The man looked down and then back up in the direction of where the older man had stood, as if contemplating the event that transpired. Then, in almost comedic fashion, began puking up his night's drinks into the slopping mud around him.

Evidently, it was good he didn't have another drink, Raj'iit thought to himself as he quietly chuckled to himself. His eyes shifted back to the man at the bar, leaning up against the bar as if it were his own home. Quietly he pondered to himself what this man's story was, until a hand clasped his left shoulder.

Slightly startled, Raj'iit turned to see a large, rotund face of a Half Orc no more than 8 inches from his own face.

"Oi, you, Catman. I ain't see you 'round these parts b'fore. What business you got 'n these neck 'o the woods?" The Half Orc said in a slow, thick accent.

Raj'iit then withdrew his hood, revealing a large scar running from his brow to neck. Upon it's sight, the otherwise large Half Orc retracted slightly.

"Raj'iit is seeking something, mayhaps this lesser being may assist him in finding his prize?" Raj'iit said in a low, yet serious tone.

The Half Orc withdrew his hand from Raj'iit's shoulder, now moving his body to tower over the table. The Half Orc stood an impressive 6' 8'' tall, with muscles clearly earned through a life of hard labor.

In a slightly aggressive tone the Half Orc, looking down at the catfolk proclaimed loudly: "Oi, you lot o'er there 'ear what this litt'l kitty said to me? He jus' called me a lesser bein', if I 'eard correctly. Now that jus' ain't very nice, litt'l catman, "mayhaps" I got to teach you some manners?" The orc concludes, again drawing his face closer to Raj'iit's with a wide grin on his face, and a hint of primal violence in his eyes.

Raj'iit casually rises from the chair, meeting the gaze of the Half Orc in the eyes, though standing a good 6 inches shorter. Adjusting his robes, Raj'iit pulls a skull from beneath, gripping it firmly in his palm. Stoking it ever so slightly with his free hand, Raj'iit speaks again, in a more aggressive tone:

"Forgive this one, it has been a long journey. Mayhaps this one was unclear. The plebian Orcling WILL assist this one in his endeavor, or he will leave Raj'iit's presence."

The Half Orc, without speaking, immediately draws back his arm and then strikes, swingly wildly and drunkenly. Obviously, this Half Orc is no expert to unarmed combat Raj'iit notices, as he casually glides backwards, easily dodging the thundering blow.

A few bar patrons scream:

"Oi! Fight! Yeah!"

Johnus continued to clean the dirty mugs, spitting into them and cleaning them, "So, Yrens, eh? Haven't been there since the plague?"

"Yeah. Wonder how it is there. Wonder how Cassandra is. I'll have to visit her." Riedus said, finishing his mead and pushing the mug back towards Johnus.

"Ah. The City itself is thriving now that the Ditoviel Empire has conquered it. Other than that I have no idea. Cassandra was here a few months ago on business. Real Hush hush. Would't tell me." Johnus replied, taking Riedus' mug and cleaning it.

Riedus turned around in his seat as a fight had broken out between a drunk orc and one of the catfolk, "Want me to break it up? Do it free of charge."

"Neh. Fights been breakin' out more and more in me fine establishment. I'll have to move locations. Maybe to the upper district." Johnus said as he watched the fight. Grinning as he chewed on an apple he had begun eating.

"You up there with the noblemen. Please. You wouldn't last a week before they broke a nerve and you killed one because they called you a peasant or something along those lines." Riedus said, faking a grin as he continued to watch the fight, "So who are you betting on? Orc or Catfolk?"

"Catfolk of course. The orc has been drinking all day. No way he is gonna win while as drunk like that. Plus, Catfolk are fierce, wouldn't cross one." Johnus said, finishing the apple.

"True. I am also betting on the Catfolk. After all got my scar over my eye from one of their women." Riedus said, looking back at Johnus, a real grin on his face now.

As the Half Orc continued swingly wildly at Raj'iit, he noticed that the Half Orc had started to shift from a wild, drunken rage, to a controlled, Orcish thirst for blood. Mid dodge he casually sighed to himself. All Orcs will be Orcs, he thought to himself, stepping out of the way of another thundering blow that broke the chair next to him.

"Stop runnin' litt'l cat! Keep resistin' n' I'll break that cute litt'l skull o' yours."

Upon hearing the Half Orc mention the skull, Raj'iit, mid step, immediately stopped, catching the Orc off guard. The Half Orc's inertia, however, did not, sending him barreling over the table in front of him.

"Oi! What the hell's gotten inta you, catman? A litt'l upset I mentioned yer creepy ass skull? In that case, give it to me!" The Half Orc screamed, charging with arms out-stretched towards the skull Raj'iit held.

Slowly, Raj'iit raised the skull, shifting from gripping it's cranium, to gently letting it rest in his outstretched palm.

"Raj'iit does not think the Half Orc will enjoy this toy, however you may have it if you wish." Raj'iit proclaims in a low, chilling voice as a smirk forms on his face.

The Half Orc, now towering above the catfolk once again, reaches in to clasp the skull with both muscle buldged arms, ripping it out of Raj'iit's hand. Gripping it tightly in both hands, holding it close to his face, the Half Orc looked back to Raj'iit.

"What is it? Just a f**in' skull?" He grunts angrily, inspecting the skull as to find it's significance.

"Ah..ha..ha.. That is what it would appear to be to one as unintelligent as he who stands before Raj'iit, yes." Raj'iit chuckles out. "However, to see the true magic that one just look into the eyes closely.."

The Half Orc, angry from Raj'iit's taunts, pulls the skull up to his own face, peering directly into the gaping maw of the decrepit skull.

And then the Half Orc, who was grunting and panting furiously, goes silent.

The entire bar, now gazing upon this odd fight happening in the back of the bar, watch as the Half Orc, nearly frothing at the mouth, goes silent, staring into the skull. Motionless, the Half Orc stood there, staring into the skull as the bar patrons around him begin shifting uncomfortably.

Suddenly, a patron from the front of the tavern screams:

"Well, get on with it! What are ye' doing starin' at that musty ol' skull?"

Raj'iit, who had been standing cross armed since the skull was taken, now slowly strides forward, placing a single finger on the skull.

At the touch, the skull suddenly reacts, sending a thick purple mist floating out of the eyes and mouth of the skull, directly towards the now adjacent eyes and mouth of the Half Orc, who's still staring motionless at the skull.

As the purple mist enters the Half Orc's body, the patrons of the bar begin to notice shaking, and then small convulsions, as the Half Orc's body is seemingly struggling to fight the invading toxins, yet cannot seem to move.

Raj'iit draws close, whispering into the ear of the Half Orc, but for some unknown reason every person in the bar can hear him.

"Your soul is now forfeit to K'Saza, fiend."

And as suddenly as it happened, Raj'iit withdraws the skull, shoving it under his robes once again, and the Half Orc drops motionless to the floor of the Tavern.

A deafening silence ensues.

Riedus watched as the fight came to a halt as the cat let the Orc hold the skull, just staring into it. The Wolf Medallion around his neck began to hum and shake as the presence of magic or something along those lines entered the tavern, "Hmm. That skull is bad business."

"You or your medallion don't have to tell me. It looks like bad business." Johnus said as he stared at the Orc, curious as to why he became so docile and entranced by the skull.

"Never liked the Catfolk Magic. Very complex. Especially their curses, hardest ones to lift if you ask me." Riedus said as he stared at the skull. Soon enough the purple mist floods out of the skulls eyes and mouth and finds its way into the orc's. As it does so the orc begins to shake and have convulsions. Riedus merely sighed at this as the cat whispered into the orc's ear.

"Johnus. Tell everyone to leave. Now." Riedus said as he crossed his arms, staring at the Cat with his own cat eyes, "Oh. And get someone to dispose to the body, will you. Thanks."

"Right away, Riedus. I'll let the professional handle it." Johnus said before clearing his throat and looking at the silent crowd looking at the orcs lifeless and cold body on the floor, "Alright ye dimwits. Stop starin' 'n dispose of the body. And get out of me tavern. We're closed for the day."

"Thanks. Now if you'll excuse me. I think the cat and me should speak. Alone." Riedus said, eyes still fixed on Raj'iit. Johnus nodded and headed up the stair that were behind the tavern.

As Raj'iit knelt down next to the body, watching the purple mist flow slowly out of the Half Orc's orifices, he either didn't seem to notice, or didn't seem to mind the patrons of the bar hurrying out the door. After a few moments, two frightened men walked up, stopping about 5 feet from him.

Without looking up, Raj'iit said calmly, "Do not breathe in the mist as you take this filth to the graveyard, unless you wish for a similar fate." he concludes, staring up and the two mortified men in a snarl.

"Y-y-yes sir!" One of the men blurts out as the two of them quickly grab the body by the feet and begin to rapidly drag it off.

"My my, it would seem this one has caused a scene." Raj'iit mutters to himself as the old, grizzled man approached him.

Turning to the barkeep, Raj'iit throws a small satchel, which clinked and clacked through the air with the sound of coins. Upon catching the small satchel, Raj'iit exclaimed, eyes returning to the older man:

"I have caused you a loss of business, and for that this one apologizes. Inside is enough to compensate your losses for the evening as well as pay for a room. It would seem that this one and this man have business to discuss and as such will adjourn for the evening."

Johnus looks down, opening the sack filled with golden coins. Slowly, but firmly, he looks up and gives a slight nod, turning to look at Reidus, who gives a silent nod of approval.

"Room 212, then, catfolk." Johnus says with slightly exasperated.

"Much Obliged." Raj'iit says while slight bowing. With a slight flourish in his turn, he began ascending the stairs to the rooms, with Reidus trailing a safe distance behind.

Upon reaching his room, Raj'iit carelessly flings himself onto the bed, stretching out as if nothing had happened. Prior to entering, Redius looked behind him, and then down the hall, assessing the situation before ultimately entering, and closing the door behind him. Sitting down at the table across the room, Raj'iit stares intently at Redius, in utter silence.

A long while passes before finally Raj'iit sits up, facing Redius.

"So.." Raj'iit says quietly, yet forcefully, "who might this one be, I wonder?"

A devilish smile forms on Raj'iit's face.

Riedus had followed Raj'iit up the stairs, wary of the catfolk and his skull. Rather than make a big deal he would be courteous and follow the cat for now. Upon entering the room he looked around and sighed to himself as the cat watched him. Soon returning the look at the cat with his own cat eyes. Letting the cat speak, remaining silent afterwards.

"Y'know. It has been a long time since I've seen that type of magic. Nasty sort of business. K'Saza. Catfolk magic in general is a pain." Riedus said, crossing his arms as he explained in his deep raspy voice.

"Riedus of Ditoviel. Exile. Monster Hunter." Riedus said, introducing himself as he continued to stare at the cat, "And you are? Besides someone that peasant folk and lords alike should fear. Someone that can use that magic like that will most likely be hunted down. For the right price of course."

A clenched fist, ready for a fight to break out or for someone to break in and attempt to kill either one of them. Riedus wasn't the most well liked person among kings and peasants. He sensed that the cat also had some powerful enemies.

Calmly, Raj'iit studied the man who identified himself as "Riedus", listening closely to his words. When the man mentioned he was a "monster hunter", Raj'iits ears twitched slightly, and then withdrew slowly to his scalp. A long minute passed after Riedus had concluded speaking until finally Raj'iit clasped his hands in a swift, yet controlled motion.

As the echo of his clap resounded through the room, the sudden noise slightly startled Reidus, making him flinch slightly.

"Excuse my manners.." Raj'iit began, speaking in a heavy accent. "You may acknowledge this one as Raj'iit, The Wanderer of the Sands."

Raj'iit draws the skull from under his robes once more, however to Riedus' surprise, the seemingly inanimate object began to float slowly throughout the room, as if searching for something.

"This would be my companion on my travels. You may refer to that one as Elise, paleskin." Raj'iit proclaimed, seemingly excited at the situation.

Continuing speaking, Raj'iit rose from the bed, sitting down in the chair across Riedus.

"A long while is has been since this one has met another who is not intimidated by Raj'iit's companion. This forces this one to question the paleskin's history, however these are not matters befit for the time or place." With a slight wrinkle of his nose, Raj'iit continues. "So, paleskin, what will you do now that you know Raj''it and his companion are present? Should you wish to engage in combat, this one warns you that it will not be as dull as the normal fights you may be accustomed to." Raj'iit says grinning again.

With a snap of his fingers, the skull, which at this point had been floating up towards the ceiling, flew quickly to his side.

Reidus peered at the skull nonchalantly, resisting it's allure entirely.

With another snap of his fingers, the skull then rested itself on Raj'iit's shoulder, staring blankly at Riedus.

Riedus continued to return the Cat's stare, neither frightened or intrigued. Merely doing his role, keeping an eye on monsters and magic. The clap didn't phase Riedus at all either. He merely thought it was the cat trying to get his attention, to a degree it did, breaking up the staring contest the two seemed to have engaged in.

"Raj'iit will do just fine." Riedus said briskly, not one for long titles or fancy ones that kings or people of importance gave themselves. As the skull that Raj'iit pulled from his robe began to float Riedus rose an eyebrow, slightly intrigued at the skull, more so than the cat.

"Elise? Interesting. Someone you cared about once perhaps, maybe a lover or family member. Nevermind, it matter little who the skull belonged to." Riedus said, talking to himself but aloud as if he was actually asking Raj'iit.

Riedus stroked his grizzled beard for a moment as Raj'iit continued about asking about his past and talking about a fight, merely returning a shrug at Raj'itt, "Perhaps you'll learn of my past. And I wasn't hired to kill you or destroy you skull and so on, so I am not looking for a fight. I must say again, I fight monsters, not drunkards. Anyone can beat a drunkard if they are sober. Excellent footwork though. Could use improvement but that isn't why I am here."

Watching the skull intently as it flew around the room and eventually landing on the shoulder of Raj'itt, "I am just curious as to why you, a catfolk is here, in this city of all cities and what exactly your skull is."

Raj'iit chuckled to himself softly, petting the skull adorning his shoulder.

Looking now at the skull, Raj'iit's tone changed, to a softer and more melancholy vibe.

"Oh..ha..ha.. the tale of this skull is from a time far too long ago that Raj'iit would rather stay forgotten", he says as he smiles slightly. "However the tale as to why Raj'iit is in this city is one he is willing to share, as this one senses no malice from the paleskin."

Raj'iit again adjusts in his chair, this time situating himself to be more comfortable.

"A long tale, that is, paleskin. Where to begin, this one wonders", Raj'iit clears his throat. "Raj'iit's journey from the deserts began long ago. Following the brutal massacre of this one's tribe, a blood vengeance was declared by Raj'iit onto the Orcish invaders. However, through an unfortunate twist of fate, after months of tracking the despicable brutes, Raj'iit found their home burnt and destroyed. Angered by being unable to exact vengeance by this one's own hands, Raj'iit wandered the desert for many years, searching for a purpose. On the blue moon of many months back, an entity formed before Raj'iit, rising from the sands of the T'zik desert. This entity spoke of a land far to the North, plagued by the leader of the Orcs which had raided this one's homeland. As such, Raj'iit is now here in this town, in search of news of the one called Grok the Bloody."

Raj'iit leans forward, with a very stern look on his face, now devoid of any smile or warmth.

"Tell me, paleskin, in your work, have you come across this Orc?"

Riedus stared at Raj'iit, adjusting the weight of standing on his left leg to his right leg, arms still crossed, no emotion could be seen in his eyes or face. At the hearing of the skull's story being old and rather forgotten Riedus nodded adding a comment though, "Try me. Magic and Monsters is my job and I am far older than any other human."

Riedus listened to the story that Raj'iit gave, not feeling any sympathy or really caring for the story. Riedus found revenge to be good for driving one but it would tend to have people lose themselves in their lust for blood. Nevertheless he did know who Grok the Bloody was. Ran into him quite a few times and leaned back on the door now, relaxing slightly as Raj'iit seemed civil enough.

"Yes. I know of Grok the Bloody. Ran into him a few times. Gave him a few scars too." Riedus said, pausing before continuing, "I even thought of taking a contract up to kill him. After all, Monsters come in many disguises." Popping his neck as he began to get stiff, "A word of advice though. The world doesn't need heroes. It needs a professional."

"Heroes.." The mention of the word made Raj'iit chuckle. "Raj'iit dares not associate with such a word, as it would be most unfit."

Raj'iit gently continues petting the skull.

"So the paleskin knows of Grok. But does the paleskin know the whereabouts of the fiend, this one wonders?"

Raj'iit then looks up, inspecting the grizzled man in full. Slowly, he finds his way to the scars on the man's face.

"Tell Raj'iit the tale of the paleskin's scars. bemuse this one."

"Good." Riedus said, hearing the chuckle made him smile, Raj'iit was at least smart and wise in some degree, "Heroes tend to die at the end of a story. And vengeful ones are soon consumed by greed or blood."

Riedus found the petting of the skull odd, not weird or disgusting, but it quietly intrigued him, the skull was like a well trained dog, much deadlier though.

"Everyone knows of Grok, cat. He lives in this very city. In the nobleman's district. Hell, bastard pretty much owns half this town. Says he is a changed orc. Load of crap. This time of year though he is at his villa near a lake. Good two day hike, one day by horse." Riedus answered the question, face still showing no interest or emotion.

"Which one the large one or the small one above my left eye? Large one was from when I tried to be the hero and stop some race Riots in the city of Vlanta. Was stabbed to death by a peasant boy I was hesitant to kill. Luckily, a sorceress by the name of Sorcana who was with me saved and healed me." Riedus said, tracing the scar as he remembered the day like it was yesterday.

"The other is from well, other practices. More private ones with a woman friend of mine." Riedus said, stopping at that, Raj'iit didn't need to know everything about the man.

At the mention of Grok's whereabouts, Raj'iit abruptly stood up, fists clenched. Shoving the chair back underneath the table, he immediately began striding towards the door, opening it with an uncontrolled rage, sending it flying into the wall. To his surprise at his own strength, the door's handle cracked into the old wooden wall, leaving the door stuck open.

Raj'iit looked down at the door, staring in silence for a moment, contemplating his next course of action. The skull adorning his shoulder glowed a dull purple, as if sensing it's master's state of mind. He turned towards it slightly, this time gently stroking the cheek, which to the touch left a small wake of purple mist emanating from the marrow of the skull. This, he reminded himself, was not an act of vengeance. This was an act of justice. Not just for the lives he had lost, but for the future that would no longer come to fruition. The future than his love would not experience. He then drew a small dagger, gem encrusted upon the handle, outfitted with an ebony blade. Slowly he pulled up his left robe sleeve, which revealed a barren arm, devoid of any fur. This arm seemed to be burnt to the skin, with small streams of the same, strange purple mist seeping from the cracks in the skin. He pulled the blade up to his arm, slowly drawing it across the tattered skin. Flinching ever so slightly as the blade dug into his flesh, Raj'iit was reminded once again that he felt naught but the cold, icy touch of undeath as the blade ran through him. A chill raced across his body as the open flesh became exposed to air. Raj'iit studied his arm for a moment as he counted the slashes decorating his left forearm. 14 in count. Fourteen times had he needed to remind himself of his state of purgatory, which he could only assumed would be achieved once his vengeance, or in his mind, justice, had been fulfilled. Returning now to reality and escaping the chasm which was his mind, Raj'iit looked again at the door before him.

Not acknowledging his fault verbally, he simply continued on, descending the stairs back into the inn proper, where he looked upon the inn keeper still in the process of cleaning his first mess. Without speaking, Raj'iit withdrew another small sack of coin from beneath his robe, throwing it to a nearby table, which caught the barkeep's attention. Pressing forward, Raj'iit again shoved the door to the inn open, as he walked out into the night, heading towards the city gate which he had used to enter the city.

Riedus looked as Raj'iit abruptly stood and rushed toward the door, flinging it from it's hinges. The strength that Raj'iit showed was impressive. Riedus saw the anger in his eyes but did not stop him. The Skull seemed to have at least calmed him. Somewhat. When the purple mist came out from the skulls mouth Riedus backed up, not wanting it to affect him.

The scars intrigued Riedus for a moment, same with the furless arm and the skin that was burnt. Something happened, something involving the skull and most likely the orc. Once Raj'iit began to cut himself though all of Riedus' curiosity dissipated as it was satisfied watching the cat cut himself, answering his questions.

Once Raj'iit had entered reality once again and walked down the stares Riedus followed, at a brisk pace. Nodding at Johnus and mouthing a sorry his way, throwing another small bag at the table too. Riedus followed Raj'iit into the night and towards the gate, and it didn't look like Riedus would be leaving anytime soon either.

"I am going with you. After all, monsters come in all forms." A hint of annoyance and excitement were in his voice, or at least it sounded like it. With Riedus it was extremely hard to see and hear.

"I am going with you. After all, monsters come in all forms." Raj'iit heard from behind as he strode forward.

With a shrug and silent agreement, Raj'iit drew his hood over his head once more, continuing on into the night.

A hour or so passed as the two eventually made their way towards the gate which Raj'iit had entered a few hours prior. However to his surprise. the gates were locked and barred before him. Stopping briefly to scan whether there was a way out, Raj'iit ultimately decided that there was no rational way to leave unless through the gateway. He could try other gates, he thought to himself, but they were just as likely to be in a similar state, he concluded.

Directing his gaze above, Raj'iit spied a guardsmen slowly patrolling atop the gateway, attention faced towards the vast forest on the other side of the wall.

In a clear voice, Raj'iit called into the night,

"You there, Guardsman, open this gate so that Raj'iit may leave this city. This one has business outside the city walls."

Not fully aware of their presence, the guard jumps slightly at the sudden beckon, turning around to spot the catfolk and grizzled man in tow. After a long moment, and a look of contemplation, the guard responded in a similar call,

"Sorry catfolk, no can do. We got orders to keep these gates locked n' barred after dusk every night due to the monsters that been' roamin' around the outside as of late. Should I open the gate and let any in, it'd be my hide, n' I got a wife n' kids to feed. Come back at sunrise n' we'll let ye go!" He announced, turning back to his patrol.

Festing in a slight annoyance, Raj'iit beckoned up to the man again,

"The paleskin will open the gates, or Raj'iit will do so himself." He called out, this time in a more menacing tone.

The guard turned around once more, looking slightly worried at the threat from the foreigner. However after a moment responded aloud again.

"Y-yeah, well, do ya' plan t' take on the whole city guard, catfolk? I don't think that's a wise choice." He stuttered slightly, clearly distressed by these nighttime shenanigans.

Raj'iit lifted his arm to the skull on his shoulder, picking it up and holding it directly towards the guardsman.

"Tell Raj'iit, paleskin, has this one seen death before?" Raj'iit announced in a low, but audible voice.

A wide, toothy smile formed on Raj'iit's face, as he stared at the terrified guardsman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riedus followed Raj'itt for a good long hour or so until they arrived at one of the gates. Riedus had forgotten that this was one of the largest cities in the Northern Kingdoms. Still he navigated it as if he knew it like the back of his hand. As they finally arrived at the gate Riedus sighed and crossed his arms, putting more weight on his right leg instead of his left.

As the conversation went on and Raj'iit threatened the guardsman Riedus sighed and uncrossed his arms. Stepping forward looking between the guardsman and Raj'iit. As Raj'iit asked him if he had seen death and flashed him a toothy smile Riedus shrugged to himself.

"Of course I have. My job is the definition of death and as I told you I died and was brought back to life with the help of magic." Riedus answered the question. The cat's grin was something Riedus liked, it implied something horrible. Involving others in a vendetta, especially those who are minor people is not something Riedus agreed with. The guardsman had a family and whatnot, not that that was what compelled Riedus to say next.

"We don't have to harm him. I can use my Axii sign to make him open the gates. Unless you have something that wont harm innocents and bystanders." Even while saying an idealistic thing there was no emotion on Riedus' face or in his voice or eyes.

Raj'iit stands in a moment of silence, follow by an unexpected outburst of throaty, guttural laughing. The guardsman atop the wall jumps slightly from the sudden out burst of the catfolk below.

After a moment of cackling, Raj'iit simmers down, turning to Reidus.

"The paleskin misunderstands. Raj'iit refers to all humans as paleskins, not just the grizzled man." He chuckles slightly again, continuing on, "Raj'iit merely jests, this one has no need for such petty squabbles. Raj'iit was merely caught up in the moment."

Following his last words, Raj'iit slowly placed the skull on the ground before him. Stepping back about 10 feet, and motioning Reidus back as well, Raj'iit extended his arm outward. Bringing his free arm to slightly cut his arm by using his claws, Raj'iit watched as the rainfall mixed with the blood and fell to the ground, leaving a small pool of blood below.

In a sudden, fluid motion, Raj'iit arched his body forward, slamming his free arm into the ground when the blood lied. A small boom of energy resounded from the ground, slowly expanding outwards, knocking the up the rain coating the ground in a sort of tidal wave. Following the initial slam, violet runes in a circle, connecting between Raj'iit and the skull on the ground, began to form in the air, floating just off the ground. Rain that touched the runes instantaneously evaporated, as they slowly rose in the air. Upon reaching about two feet off the ground, Raj'iit slowly stood back up, this time extending both arms forward, though in a more relaxed stance than before. He closed his eyes momentarily, and upon reopening, pure arcane energy replaced his eyes, leaving only glowing white from his eyes sockets. From his hands erupted the all to familiar purple mist, followed by small streams of pure purple energy, which slowly wrapped around the circle of runes.

After 10 seconds of energy streaming from his hands, in another sudden movement, Raj'iit began slowly making a swirling motion with his entire body, arms raised above his head. The purple energy and mists which had been circling the runes slowly began to congregate and rise, creating an upturned tornado swirling throughout the runic circle. Following the tornado, the runes began to slowly move in as well, encircling the tornado in a cylindrical fashion as the alternating rows moved in opposite directions. As the final runes floated into place, Raj'iit's arms shot out once more to his sides, and the energy exploded into a vast globe of slowly swirling energy, as the runes spun violently in circles around the form. Motioning one arm forward, the ground itself seemed to move, with the rain puddles below slowly beginning to swirl alike a whirlpool. The arcane energy above respond in turn, slowly being dragged into the ever expanding whirlpool. As the energy became engrossed into the earth, the runes fell back to their original places, floating just above the ground.

As the last bits of the mist entered the now massive 10 foot whirlpool on the ground, the runes shot up with purple light, becoming a ring of beacons, in an almost prison-like arrangement. From the pitch black center of the whirlpool ascended a massive figure, clawing and climbing it's way out of the arcane abyss. The creature struggled as it's form slowly became whole from the whirlpool. Still hard to see due to the beacons around it, the black figure shuddered as the rain struck it's hide. Raj'iit, upon seeing the form of the creature become whole, then slammed his hands together, which resounded with a booming echo which could be heard for a half mile.

The beacons then slowly faded, falling to the ground, as the whirlpool began to whither and grow smaller, eventually returning the ground to the series of puddles which were once there before.

The figure, previous shrouded by mystery, now stood before Reidus and the guardsman, as it's wing unfolded. It raised it's long, scaly neck to the sky, as it roared to the dark night sky. Before them, stood a red dragon.

Approaching the creature, which paid it's master no mind, Raj'iit place his hand along the dragon's neck, slowly stroking it's massive scales. Raj'iit then bent down, grabbing the skull from the ground, and placing it back on his shoulder. Turning around, Raj'iit looked to Reidus, looking entertained an anxious.

"Tell this one, paleskin, has the grizzled man ever rode a dragon before?" Another toothy smirk spread across his face.

Riedus merely rose an eyebrow as Raj'iit laughed, interested in what was so funny before Raj'iit finally explained himself. Nodding slowly at the cat.

"Ah. Well, I am paler than most humans so Paleskin is something I have been called. No offense taken of course." Riedus said, smiling lightly, "Good. Squabbles are something we don't need if we want to kill the monster you seek."

Riedus followed Raj'iit back ten feet, curious as to why he put the skull on the floor before Raj'iit answered the question with his next action. As the mixture of rain and blood dropped Riedus grunted, he didn't mind it raining but blood was sticky and didn't smell good after it was dried out. Luckily none of it dropped on the two.

Riedus continued to watch the ritual that Raj'iit was performing. It was conjuration magic surely but it was still interesting to watch. Conjuration took a great deal of precision and skill. It was a complex ritual to boot, from the motions to the whirlpool of rain and blood. Runes as well. Raj'iit new what he was doing. What came from the ritual surprised Riedus due to the skill of Raj'iit. Riedus looked at the dragon, the boom of a echo hurt his ears but not as badly as some of the other echos Riedus heard in his adventures.

Riedus wasn't a fan of the look that entertained and anxious look Raj'iit had about the dragon, "Yes. I have rode a dragon before. Killed my fair share too. Not a fan of it as a way of travel but have rode worse. Teleports for example." Riedus smiled though, he admired dragons, even if monsters they were majestic, like griffins. "A beautiful beast, your dragon. Something to be admired."

Riedus looked over at the guardsman that had shit himself, Riedus could smell it from there with his enhanced senses, "It appears the guard wont be a problem. Seems he had desecrated himself. Well. Shall we go before the entire army arrives?" Riedus said, slowly moving towards the dragon.

Raj'iit carefully pet the beast, whispering words of comfort as the man approached. Instinctively the dragon snapped at Reidus, but Raj'iit calmed it down as he drew a small piece of jerky from his robe. Climbing on the back of the winged beast, it's wings fully unfurrowed, displaying a respectable 35 foot wing span. Helping Redius up on it's back, the dragon shuddered slightly as the unfamiliar figure climbed aboard. However this didn't seem to phase the beast for long, as once both riders were securely holding onto it's scales, with a great sweep of it's wings, the dragon slowly rose from the ground, making it's way a good 30 feet above the guardsmen's head before finally moving forward in the air.

Arching it's back swaying from side to side, the dragon slowly picked up speed as it soared through the rainy sky. It instinctively knew that rain affected it's flight, but worried little as it slowly ascended higher and higher. Finally, as they began to reach the clouds, the raid began to lessen, and eventually cease altogether. Now soaring just above the storm clouds, Raj'iit looked over as he was transfixed on the occasional surges of light and thunder below.

The three were soaring peacefully through the night sky for about 10 minutes until Raj'iit finally turned, speaking to Reidus.

"Now, grizzled one, what direction shall this company head? These lands are unfamiliar to this one. Please, direct our companion, but do so with respect, or be prepared for the consequences to follow."

Riedus didn't mind the snapping, it was natural for a beast or human to do at an unknown thing. Luckily though Raj'iit and the Dragon had a special Bond or the Jerky and the dragon did. Riedus had gotten atop the dragons back with Raj'iit's help. He couldn't help but admire the beast and his huge wings. It was a sight to be hold.

Riedus had slowly and carefully placed his hands on the scales. He wasn't a fan of flying but had done it countless times so he knew the drill. Still it was better than teleporting in Riedus' mind.

As the dragon lifted off Riedus repositioned himself slightly and looked down at the ground. Flying did have it's benefits though. Riedus watched as the Dragon picked up its' speed and soared through the storm and above it. At least they could dry off through the flight. Riedus also looked down at the storm clouds and watched the lightning and listened to the thunder for a moment.

After the ten or so minutes of peace and silence Raj'iit had finally broken it with the question, "See the tips of those mountains?" Riedus said, pointing at the tops of some mountains, white peaks utop them at this elevation, "We will be heading there. In the center of the mountains is a lake and villa's for the rich and criminal. No one would mind if some others were killed. Nevertheless it feels like a military camp there with all the noble's bodyguards." Riedus then slowly pet the left side of the dragon, he always had a thing with animals from horses to wolves to dragons. Humans not so much, but the more wild animals he did.

Following Riedus' directions, Raj'iit steered the dragon towards the peaks in the distance. They were definitely a way out, as Raj'iit could clearly see most the mountain range from above at this point. He had always wondered why he didn't freeze at these heights, but as quickly as he thought of it, he dismissed the question, as he knew the answer. However the human being perfectly fine was definitely of interest. Raj'iit knew that the human was not ordinary, but to not be affected by a sudden temperature change such as this was definitely suspicious. Should he ever have to turn on the human, it'd certainly make for an interesting fight, he silent thought to himself.

Roughly an hour passed by in almost silence as the dragon flew over the remaining storm clouds, and into the open air. For their height, Raj'iit and Riedus could see what felt like the entire world. As Raj'iit glanced over to the side, he was entire forests, lakes, cities, farmlands, and badlands for as far as his cat eyes could see. Small little lights littered the ground denoting civilization in the night. Raj'iit wondered if there was a chance any of his people inhabited one of these cities or villages, but only continued with a sigh, for he knew the answer to that as well.

About three hours after initially taking off, the trio finally began to enter the mountain ranges, as they spied the first peaks of the towers in the villa they were headed.

Riedus looked down over the dragon's side, admiring the height. He loved seeing things from this far above, the forests and farms, the little lights that pinpoint towns and villages. Looking back up at Raj'iit, raising an eyebrow. Riedus wouldn't wish to fight the cat, and if he had to he wouldn't, unless the cat did something that couldn't be forgiven. Riedus had been betrayed before, it was like second nature to get betrayed for Riedus. Some do it for just reasons others for selfish ones.

As three hours passed and they continued to fly, for how fast the dragon went the mountains had been quite a trek from where they were originally. Still it was faster than a horse or by foot. More scenic in certain aspects as well. "If only I could draw, I would draw a map from this angle." Riedus said, it didn't sound like Riedus did but he really did. Somethings actually brought the things called Emotion to Riedus. A rare sight that should be savored, one that is hard to trigger.

"Almost there." Riedus said as he pointed at the towers, grinning lightly as they got closer. He wasn't out for revenge like the cat, but it is always good to kill some monsters and take out the trash. Who knows they might just kill a few more monsters than the orc.

As the dragon crested over a peak of a low mountain, the city became much more visible to Raj'iit and Riedus.

There were two large stone towers that stood bastion over the rest of the city, looming about the cobblestone and oak wood manors that lay below, as if ever watching it's denizens below. The three towers looked ancient in their design, seemingly as if each successive floor was slowly built upon one another over time, leaving scars of masonry scattered across the bodies of the towers. Between the three, numerous bridges and walkways joined the massive towers, each littered with small bright torches.

As the group moved forward, the rest of the city came in to view a little bit more clearly. The city seemed to follow a pyramid schematic, with the three monolithic towers resting atop a hill, and radiating out were massive iron walls, denoting each quarter of the city. The upper most, surrounding the towers, were manors, small castles, and what looked to be a small forest and lake to one side. In the next ring, Raj'iit spied mostly soldier's tents and barracks. Even from afar, Raj'iit could see multiple training grounds, seminar grounds, and more. This quarter was indeed a full fledged army-training ground. In the next ring down, a noticeable change in the quality of buildings could be seen. Where as the military quarter had massive stone structures, this quarter seemed to be predominantly wooden buildings, or whatever villagers and peasants could afford to construct with. There were certainly a few cobblestone buildings, but they rested around the gates to the upper districts, which could only mean they were run by guards or officials as well. This district definitely had the most torchlight and activity. Despite it being nearly dawn, many people were already bustling around the district, going in and out of shops, people were being thrown out of inns, and carts were just beginning to flow from buildings to their locations in and outside of the city.

The final district, and furthest away from the towers, was definitely the largest district, but also the hardest to look at. Spanning more than a mile out, the bottom district was littered with favelas built atop one another, with multiple destroyed buildings towards the outer reaches of the ring. Raj'iit noticed as well that the outermost walls were either battered or destroyed in some areas, and the surrounding hovels had their roofs caved in or the buildings were destroyed altogether. It was plain to see that this district was no stranger to war, banditry, or other devious means, as the thousands of swarming peasants below moved about their business in the shade of the towers.

Raj'iit sighed, for no matter where he went there was always a hierarchy. He hoped eventually the races would catch on to the teachings of his people, but that was unlikely.

Motioning the dragon to set down outside of the city walls in a forest freshly coated with snow, Raj'iit and Riedus held on a little bit tighter as the dragon descended, picking up speed. As the were about to crash into the tree line, the drag suddenly levelled out, expanding it's large wings and catching the air flow, sending the trio gliding over the endless snow-covered tree tops. After a minute or two of sailing, the Raj'iit spied an alcove roughly a quarter mile away from the outer ring. Speaking to the dragon in a language not audible to others, Raj'iit directed the great beast to land.

With massive flaps of it's leathery wings, the drag slowly lowered down to the frost-fallen ground, landing with a resounding thump that shook the snow from all of the surrounding trees.

Raj'iit dismounted unceremoniously, petting the dragon's head once more, and handing it more jerky. The beast shuddered slightly, enjoying the succulence of the salted meat. As Riedus lumbered off the dragon's back, Raj'iit motioned to stay clear once again, stepping back 10 feet himself. In a much less demonstrative fashion than before, Raj'iit simply pulled off the skull adorning his shoulder once more, facing it towards the dragon's gaze. The beast didn't react at first, but then slowly began to stare, and then walk forward towards the skull. As it approached, the jaw of the skull cracked open, and out came the all too familiar purple mist. Creating a thin bubble around the dragon's entirety took a few minutes, but once the beast was completely obscured, the mist slowly moved inwards, making the form of the dragon seemingly disappear as the mist shrunk more and more.

As the last mists were entering the skull's maw, Raj'iit wrenched the ancient thing back upon his shoulder, and turned to Riedus.

"Shall we go, paleskin?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back