• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic New Oasis: Dark Stars [IC]

Characters
Here
Other
Here

Beann

The Bean
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
NEW OASIS: DARK STARS
Leaning against the frigid, metallic wall, a stern-looking man tapped his finger against his elbow in quiet anticipation. He observed his colleague as the man took a long drag of his cigarette, squinting as the smoke wafted his way. Dismissing the noxious fumes, he attempted to hold his breath until the air cleared. “Can’t ya use the actual breakroom to smoke? You know I’ve been clean for a few months now,” he muttered.

“Come on, Liam. A ‘lil bit of nicotine ain’t hurt nobody.” Despite his remark, the shorter man extinguished his cigarette against the wall, twisting it left and right. “Besides, how else am I supposed to pass the time while we wait for these high and mighty legionnaires to arrive?” He scoffed, flicking the cigarette towards the trash bin by the main console, though missing it entirely.

With an exasperated grunt, Liam pushed off the wall and headed toward the main console. “You act like they're late, Josh.” He picked up the cigarette, properly disposing of it. “Can ya blame me? The less freaks we have, the less work for us,” Josh shrugged, playing with his lighter absentmindedly.

“That's not how it works at all,” Liam shook his head, then turned his attention to the main monitor as it emitted two beeps. “Fortunately, they just broke the atmosphere. ETA is five minutes. You better retrieve the prisoners so you can bid your heartfelt goodbyes.” With a single button press, he acknowledged the ship's current location before facing his colleague.

Josh pocketed his lighter and produced his badge, scanning it to open the door. Liam followed silently as they walked toward the holding cells, the echo of their footsteps resonating against the metal walls.

"Let's see…" Josh sighed exaggeratedly, pulling out his tablet to confirm the spreadsheet sent by the higher-ups the previous week. The first columns indicated the holding cell number and prisoner's unique ID. The subsequent columns listed their first and last names. The final columns denoted the transporting ship's name, destination, and departure date from the prison. With a few taps to filter through the list of ships and today's date, only three prisoners were listed on the screen. "Tch. Course, their cells aren't close. You take these two, I'll get this one." Josh pointed at each number displayed before parting ways with Liam.

It didn't take long for Liam to arrive at the first holding cell, the digital plaque above reading: PRISONER 0089. He vaguely remembered the name 'Kai' associated with the number. The heavy metal door prevented prisoners from communicating with each other outside of social hours; only a tiny window at eye level could be slid open and closed from the outside. Liam opened the compartment, peering into the cell for a brief moment. "Prisoner 0089, your carriage awaits," he quipped before sliding the window shut. He scanned his badge, resting a hand on his sidearm as the heavy door slid open with a soft hiss, revealing a middle-aged man with potential nullifying handcuffs emitting a faint blue light.

"Let's get going, gotta pick up your date too." Liam put away his badge and produced a metal bar to connect the cuffs, restricting movement. He attached the precautionary piece swiftly before urging Kai out of the cell. "Walk straight. Hope you like Prisoner 0042 because that's your date." After they exited, the door hissed shut. Liam trailed behind Kai, glancing at plaques above cells they passed.

Meanwhile, Josh arrived at his destination. He banged on the heavy metal door, "Prisoner 0075, prepare for transport!" Opening the door with a card reader, he kept his hand near his holstered weapon, cautious around 'Rina Aeko'. He had read her file; a freak, in his opinion. "Don't try anything stupid." Josh warned, securing her cuffs with a metal bar. Once restrained, he shoved her ahead, "move." They walked, Josh's hand never leaving his sidearm.

Soon, Liam and Kai reached the cell housing Prisoner 0042, Elam Talvinaw. Liam knocked thrice before using his badge to open the door. "Congratulations, you've won an all-expenses-paid trip to Lunar Gate Penitentiary." He said monotonously, securing Elam's cuffs similar to Kai's. He led them back to the main corridor towards the loading dock.

Coincidentally, Liam's group met Josh's at the main intersection. To their right, a large hangar door opened after Josh presented his badge and unique passcode. With a creak, the door revealed an impressive Corvette. The hum of its engine and thrusters indicated its recent docking. "Don't worry, these uppity legionnaires will take care of you…or not, I don't care." Josh shrugged, waiting for the expected personnel to disembark.

Rollo stood with his hands behind his back, looking out from the bridge towards the relay station as it opened the passage to their first stop. A simple and straightforward task was given as the crew's first mission. Prisoner transfer. Though the Lunaran had been hoping for something more… 'exciting?' Solomon's voice broke through his thoughts, pulling his mind back to their current situation. "Hardly, though it's always fascinating seeing these enigmas operate." He dismissed the AI with a smirk. There wasn't much use lingering on the topic any longer. Rollo turned to his Navigator. He nodded his approval, "Take us through."

The Artemis and her crew passed smoothly through the warp gate, bringing Mars into Rollo's view. "Very good, Nadia." He voiced to her, moving to the console in front of him. A single press from his finger onto the interface queued the Alpha over the ship's intercom. "Crew, five minutes until atmospheric entry, prepare for turbulence. Sentinel, Envoy, meet me at the cargo ramp when you're ready." Rollo stepped back, turning to Nadia once more. "At your discretion, Nav." He walked over to the central lift at the back of the chamber. The doors opened as he stepped towards it, and shut quietly behind him once inside.

He paced out into the halls of the main deck, making his way towards his quarters. With a swift tap on the control panel beside his door to open it, he walked in, quickly grabbing the coat he had prepared on his bed and slipping it on as he made his way down to the cargo ramp.

The soothing sound of rain pelting against the ship echoed through the cargo hold while Nadia guided them into the hangar of the prison. They came to a halt softly, had he not been expecting it, Rollo doubted he would have even noticed. "Verify ramp extension path is clear." He called out to Solomon. Before his mouth had shut, a green light above the cargo door illuminated. "Open cargo doors, and extend the ramp." The sound of rain grew louder as the AI carried out the order. "A bit heavier than the forecast predicted." He said to Andraiss and Ferchipal, pulling open a container near the right side of the door. He reached inside and pulled out three large umbrellas, handing one to each of them. "Let's move." The Alpha stepped out, opening his umbrella.

The trio moved down the ramp with Rollo in the lead, it seemed the guards were waiting for them just inside, their silhouettes visible in the window. They approached the hangar door, waiting patiently as it rumbled open slowly. Rollo flicked his umbrella closed to his side, walking over to the expectant group. "Warden Schmidt, Warden Rogers, I'm Legionnaire Rollo Valentine. This is my Sentinel, Legionnaire Andraiss Sharr, and my Envoy, Legionnaire Ferchipal Rustafa M'Mulatta." He gestured to the two. "These are the three we are to transfer then I presume? A…" Rollo pulled out a tablet from his coat, pulling up the files he'd been given to verify the prisoners' identities, "Rina Aeko, Elam Talvinaw, and Kai." He checked each briefly against their pictures, before turning back to the wardens, certain that these were in fact the prisoners they would be taking with them.

"Yes, get them out of my sight," Warden Josh Rogers waved the three prisoners off but before the exchange could be made, Warden Liam Schmidt stepped in with his own tablet in hand. Swiping over a couple of digital documents, he turned the device over to Legionnaire Valentine. "Sign and date at the bottom. The document entails that they are in your possession now and are no longer our responsibility from the moment you sign." The Warden waited for the Alpha to read over the document and sign before taking the tablet back. "I'm sure you've been briefed about the special handcuffs they're wearing. So long as they remain on, they are unable to use their potential. The material is waterproof and can sustain quite a bit of damage without breaching the mechanism. The metal bar that secures the cuffs together is detachable but I recommend removal after they've been secured in their cells." He looked over to the Sentinel that was introduced, the one that would obviously have more involvement in the arrangements while transporting them. "Any questions?"

“None. Just need your own signature here.” Rollo turned his tablet to the man. “Same thing, but for Legion documentation.” He tucked his tablet back into his coat once the Warden had signed. “I doubt this rain is going to let up soon, time to move.” He looked back to the line of prisoners, then walking behind Kai, opened his umbrella over the two of them. “After you.” Rollo gave him a soft nudge and began walking them out into the rain.

"Watch your step." The Lunaran called out to the group as he and Kai walked up the ramp. Once they were inside, Rollo led them to the cells at the far end of the cargo hold. "This is where you'll be staying while you're under my supervision." The cool blue glow of the shielding that formed three of the walls of the containment area bathed the area in a relaxing light. "Solomon is the ship's AI, he'll be monitoring you at all times, so if you need to get in contact with someone… Solomon, open the holding cells."

'Ya got it boss - beep boop beep!'

A portion of the barrier faded away, leaving enough room for them to enter. Rollo took the spacer bar holding Kai's cuffs in place, gesturing to the cell with his free hand. He waited until Rina and Elam were inside as well before giving Solomon the command to close the entrance. "It's no luxury liner, but I can't imagine it's worse than anything you've had to deal with so far. The beddings are in that crate," Rollo pointed to the container in between the beds along the wall, "Cognizant Daisy will be responsible for any medical accommodations while you're on board the Artemis, she should be around shortly. You've already been introduced to Sentinel Sharr, he and I are in charge of keeping you from being a threat to yourselves, or any of the crew. Envoy M'Mulatta is our diplomatic representative. Our Mechanicus, Loane, keeps the ship running smoothly, and our Navigator, Nadia, will be getting us where we need to be. I'm sure they'll find their way down here at some point if you want a proper introduction. Should you ever feel as though you are being treated unfairly, per Federation and Legion Regulations, by any member of my crew, don't hesitate to bring it to my attention, and I will deal with the situation accordingly." He walked over to a nearby bin, dropping the spacer bars inside. "Now then, I'm not sure when the last time you all ate, but if I'm not mistaken it is about time for dinner." Rollo looked towards his armband, not surprised that it was in fact chow time. "Anyone hungry?" He asked.
COLLABORATION POST W/ CHAOS GALLANT

Code:
[comment][font=Barlow][font=Gugi]:][/font][/font][/comment][border=transparent;

/* Probably best if you don't change anything I haven't commented next to */

margin: auto;
box-sizing: border-box;
max-width: 780px; /* Max width */
padding: 0px var(--circle-d-1) 0px var(--circle-d-2);

--h: min(390px, 90vh);

/* Accent colours */
--c-1: #d1483a; /* Header text colour */
--c-2: #4da39f; /* Line colour */
--c-3: rgba(170, 212, 205, 0.9); /* Body background colour */

--line-w: 3px;
--line-m-l: 10px;
--line-m-t: 12px;
--line-c-p: polygon(0 calc(var(--line-w) + 1px), 0 0, 100% 100%, calc(100% - var(--line-w) - 1px) 100%);

--circle-d-1: 1px;
--circle-d-2: 3px;
--circle-w: 12px;

--header-d: 6px;
--header-h: 50px;
--header-f-s: 1.6em;
--header-f: 'Gugi', sans-serif; /* Header font, change font tag above if you change this -- changing the header font may cause the line shift */

--p: 20px;
--d: max(5vw, 40px);
--c-p: polygon(0 0, calc(100% - var(--d)) 0%, 100% var(--d), 100% 100%, var(--d) 100%, 0% calc(100% - var(--d)));

--text-w: 200px;
--text-f-s: 1.05em; /* Text font size, increase or decrease by increments of .1 or .01 */
--text-f: 'Barlow', sans-serif; /* Body text font, change font tag above if you change this */
--text-c: #2b3d47; /* Text colour */

--img-w: 60px;
--img-h: 200px;
--img: url('https://i.imgur.com/uUCCrwG.jpeg') 50% 0% / cover; /* Image URL, first % is x-value position, second % is y-value position, after / is image size */][comment]-- Top Header --[/comment][border=transparent;
position: relative;
top: calc(var(--d) - var(--line-m-t) - var(--header-d));
min-height: calc(var(--d) + var(--line-m-t));
padding: 0px;
display: flex;
flex-flow: row nowrap;
justify-content: flex-start;
align-items: flex-start;][comment]-- Circle --[/comment][border=transparent;
position: absolute;
top: calc(100% - var(--circle-w) - var(--header-d) - var(--circle-d-1));
left: calc(100% - var(--circle-w) + var(--circle-d-1));
width: var(--circle-w);
height: var(--circle-w);
border-radius: 50%;
background: var(--c-2);
z-index: 2;][/border][comment]-- Text --[/comment][border=transparent;
max-width: -moz-fit-content;
max-width: fit-content;
color: var(--c-1);
font-size: var(--header-f-s);
font-family: var(--header-f);
line-height: 1.2;]IN THE UNIVERSE[/border][comment]-- Line --[/comment][border=transparent;
margin-top: var(--line-m-t);
margin-left: var(--line-m-l);
flex: 1 1;
height: var(--line-w);
padding: 0px;][/border][border=transparent;
margin-top: var(--line-m-t);
flex: 0 0 calc(var(--d) - 9px);
height: calc(var(--d) - 9px);
-webkit-clip-path: var(--line-c-p);
clip-path: var(--line-c-p);][/border][/border][comment]

-- Content --[/comment][border=transparent;
width: 100%;
height: var(--h);
background: var(--c-3);
-webkit-clip-path: var(--c-p);
clip-path: var(--c-p);
flex-flow: row wrap;
justify-content: flex-end;
align-items: stretch;][comment]

-- Text Container --[/comment][border=transparent;
flex: 2 1 var(--text-w);
height: var(--h);
overflow: hidden;][comment]-- Hidden Scroll --[/comment][border=transparent;
width: calc(100% + 30px);
height: 100%;
overflow: auto;][comment]-- Text --[/comment][border=transparent;
width: calc(100% - 30px);
padding: var(--p) var(--p) var(--d) var(--p);
color: var(--text-c);
font-size: var(--text-f-s);
font-family: var(--text-f);
font-kerning: normal;
line-height: 1.6;][b]Artist:[/b] Amir Zand

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam et odio a ante pellentesque pretium. Integer venenatis ex non ipsum malesuada euismod sit amet ut ante. Duis posuere diam sit amet orci viverra condimentum. Nulla non lobortis orci. Vestibulum erat ante, aliquam eget arcu id, iaculis convallis lorem. Pellentesque rutrum dolor ut sapien tincidunt iaculis. Suspendisse a leo consectetur, vulputate sem quis, laoreet lorem. Sed in eros quis odio convallis tempor. Etiam lectus felis, sollicitudin at auctor a, elementum non erat.

Convallis hendrerit semper. Suspendisse a leo consectetur, vulputate sem quis, laoreet lorem. Sed in eros quis odio convallis tempor. Etiam lectus felis, sollicitudin at auctor a, elementum non erat. Etiam molestie enim rutrum, iaculis est eu, tincidunt dolor. Phasellus ullamcorper risus ac libero ornare, ut tincidunt nisi efficitur. Etiam molestie enim rutrum, iaculis est eu, tincidunt dolor. Phasellus ullamcorper risus ac libero ornare, ut tincidunt nisi efficitur. Etiam molestie enim rutrum, iaculis est eu, tincidunt dolor. Phasellus ullamcorper risus ac libero ornare, ut tincidunt nisi efficitur.[/border][/border][/border][comment]

-- Image --[/comment][border=transparent;
flex: 1 2 var(--img-w);
min-width: var(--d);
min-height: var(--img-h);
background: var(--img);][/border][/border][comment]-- Top Header --[/comment][border=transparent;
top: calc(0px - var(--d) + var(--line-m-t) + var(--header-d) + 1px);
min-height: calc(var(--d) + var(--line-m-t));
flex-flow: row-reverse nowrap;
justify-content: flex-start;
align-items: flex-end;][comment]-- Circle --[/comment][border=transparent;
position: absolute;
top: calc(0px + var(--circle-d-2));
left: calc(0px - var(--circle-d-2));
width: var(--circle-w);
height: var(--circle-w);
border-radius: 50%;
z-index: 2;][/border][comment]-- Text --[/comment][border=transparent;
top: 1px;
max-width: -moz-fit-content;
max-width: fit-content;
color: var(--c-1);
font-size: var(--header-f-s);
font-family: var(--header-f);
line-height: 1.2;]LONG LONG AGO[/border][comment]-- Line --[/comment][border=transparent;
margin-bottom: var(--line-m-t);
margin-right: var(--line-m-l);
flex: 1 1;
height: var(--line-w);
padding: 0px;][/border][border=transparent;
margin-bottom: calc(var(--line-m-t) - 1px);
flex: 0 0 calc(var(--d) - 9px);
height: calc(var(--d) - 9px);
transform: scaleX(-1) rotate(90deg);
-webkit-clip-path: var(--line-c-p);
clip-path: var(--line-c-p);][/border][/border][/border]

ANDRAIS SHARR
In a room aboard the Artemis, there was a skin-shivering coldness, artificially induced by the lone occupant's wishes. The Sentinel's room was akin to the rest of the ship — shining with engineered newness, however, it was anything but spartan. Behind the main desk, the high-backed office chair with the reinforced frame, the entire room was overlooked by a predatory visage. A skull with wicked jaws, behemothian and yellowing despite the battery of preservatives and whitening chems, its sockets as dead and soulless as the midnight blue lenses of the one who was shadowed by it. A ghoulish sight. It was unmistakably a former predator, perhaps aquatic. A rack of two weapons were bolted to the wall beside the main desk; a fat-bellied short-club-like instrument of lacquered, brown wood while below it, a sword resting in its leather-bound scabbard. Two pictures, one a digital projection of recently graduated from the Solymus Academy, while the other was physical, framed in a plastic frame, a squad of soldiers lined up for a group photo with the caption, "Ocean-killers!" scribbled in an elegant, sharp handwriting. In all of these decorations, the strangest sight had to be the lone figure seated behind the office desk, a vast, silent figure. His neck was adorned with a necklace of sharp teeth, thick on the bottom, run through with a mono-filament wire.

The chair flexed as Sharr leaned into it. Metal digits clinked against a ceramic poker chip, red-checkered, scorching evident on one-half. Sharr absent-mindedly toyed with it, pirouetting it from the index to the pinky and back with unusual expertise. His focus had been on a holo-monitor, its soft, cyan glow stretching down to its projection bar, the opaque screen displaying a report in non-Galactic Standard. His pre-arrival duties were completed with Sharr's usual alacrity and devotion, consequently, leaving him free to partake in his own pursuits. He could've taken a gentleman's magazine from his desk cabinet, but decided instead to read about the latest innovations in the firearms technological sector.

Eye-lenses continued to scan the scrolling pages impassively. Occasionally, he would stop the screen to read a particular passage. Then, wordlessly, he would continue. Novelties here and there, but nothing valuable.

The endless scrolling would be broken up when Rollo's words echoed from the monitor, which now glowed in tune with his words. The cup on his desk shivered in place from the expected turbulence. Sharr caught the casino chip in his hand, then, with a deceptively soft-whir of servos, the Sentinel rose from his office chair. He paced to the wardrobe of his room, opening it to reveal a plethora of coats, from leather to silk. From steel-grey to maroon red. He selected one of his white ones, partly out of habit then threw the shark-teeth necklace on the desk, bouncing slightly. Slipping on as he punched in the unlock code on the wall-mounted control panel.

-------

The soft tattoo of the rain against the Artemis' fuselage provided a soothing tune to Sharr's audio-receptors. He waited alongside Rollo and Ferchipal in cargo-hold, listening for the characteristic thud a ship makes when it lands. The Sentinel's head shifted slightly towards Rollo. A digitized grunt was heard, as if the ex-soldier agreed with the Lunaran, before facing the descending ramp. He took the offered umbrella but did not open it.

Walking to Rollo's right, Sharr's massive frame was pelted by the rain. The raindrops outlining a wicked visage on his face as they trailed down, desperately trying to prise their way beneath the hermetically-sealed outer shell. A futile attempt.

He stopped at Rollo's right, dripping with the umbrella still closed in his right fist. He listened as the wardens explained the intricacies of their prisoner-transfer, the magnicles which suppressed their HP abilities were impressive bit of technology, Sharr paid close attention then. There seemed to be a constant threat of sudden motion from him, despite how rigid and statue-esque he looked, as though the midnight lenses promised swift-decisive endings.

Once the transfer was completed, Sharr walked beside Rina and Elam finally opening the umbrella to cover the two prisoners from the rain's wrath. Walking them to the far end of the cargo-hold, Sharr did flicked the bar between their cuffs then stepped behind them. It would be immensely easy for the Sentinel to toss them in, the thrum of his thick-servo bundles guaranteed it, but instead he allowed them to step inside willingly.

"MREs do not make for gourmet meals, Valentine."

The voice that issued from the helm's digi-voice box was fitting with the figure it belonged to - dry, coarse, and firm. It belonged to that of decorated soldier or officer, bent double and weary with a lifetime's toil. There was a coldness there though, unbelievably deep, and something that can knife through the crackle of the digital voice box.

"Introductions aside, welcome aboard the Artemis."
THE SENTINEL

Last edited:
Loane

The black clad figure with a glowing blueish visor seemed incredibly out of place in the otherwise lush space of Loane's quarters. The floor was synthetic dirt and grass, and vine like structures cluttered the walls, with a hammock set up roughly 6 feet above the floor to act as a bed and an entire wall with a dedicated view screen normally displaying footage of Ester's wildlife and flora, but currently showing a dizzying series of numbers and other data relating to various aspects of the ship and surroundings, all collected from various sensors and detection systems. A large metallic tail, or as others would say tentacle, extended from the suit near her left shoulder blade and connected to a port in the floor near the screen, connecting her to the system. The room lacked any chairs, though it did have an out of place metal shelf and standing desk.

Data transfer is a go, we sort and store it to sub drive beta.

Understood.

Loane only had a brief five minutes to begin sorting and analyzing the data she had calibrated the ship to collect during a warp transit, a handful of near zero degree temperature changes, some reactor fluctuations, a momentary change in density of subatomic particles in atmosphere, and a small collection of other minor phenomena and anomalies that came with going through warped spacetime. If she wasn't able to hyperfocus, or didn't essentially have a spare supercomputer enhancing her neurologic system via Asmodeus, the data would take at least a few hours to sort and file away, but luckily, she had both of those things, so she had roughly filtered the data with thirty seconds to spare for atmospheric transfer.

Asa, I imagine you would have warned me by now, but rye rye'aa, are all systems nominal for entry?

Yes Sho'tiak, heat shielding systems are in perfect condition, engines prepped for atmospheric function, sensors shielded from atmospheric interference, pressure stabilizers engaged.

Despite the assurance of her companion, Loane couldn't help but take more focus on the ship's status than normal, displaying a projected overview in the right half of her vision as she disconnected the tentacle from her room, retracting it back into the suit. She hastily left the room and made her way towards the maintenance area of engine 3. Outside of combat and other extreme situations, the greatest point of failure for ships had always been atmospheric entries, there were so many things that could go wrong, and even small problems could cascade. Of course, the odds of an essentially brand new ship of a modern design experiencing these issues was practically zero, but it was still a process that made her warry. If there was going to be a point of failure, it'd be engine three, it was running slightly hot, not hot enough to actually be dangerous, but still, hotter than the other engines. There was a distinct clinking sound of metal hitting metal as she walked down the corridor, the tips of her claws escaped the otherwise complete bodysuit, and while when needed she could balance on her heels to walk near silently, it's not like she had any need to. As the ship shuddered slightly upon entering atmosphere her tail unconsciously shifted to maintain balance such as she didn't even lose her stride.

Loane, you do realize that the fact that Feliakill do not have traditional prisoners is an exception, not a rule, yes?

What? I know, Omoak omona, why even bring it up?

You are thinking about the mission and your disapproval of it.

Just... Quoako'ma'ryvoill.

... Don't do anything we will both regret.

Loane was crammed into a position only a Feliak could find comfortable as she took the chance of the landing to cycle engine 3's coolant coil. Nothing had gone wrong, because of course it didn't. Her tail and tentacles worked to quickly partly dismantle the outer shell of the engine's reactor, and then one of the tentacles removed the coolant coil, pulling it out and then replacing it with a similar blue coil from a nearby port, which she then plugged the original into. Of course each step involved various bolts, levers, disabling safety measures, and other minor complexities, but it was entirely routine, so she wasn't concerned about allowing her mind to wander.

Uplink exterior sensors to optical and auditory processer

Want to watch the show, do you?

Est lenak. Of course I do.

And with that, her vision was split into two, one part of her mind, assisted by Asmode.OS, continued the maintenance task while the other used the collection of data gathered from the ship's sensors to create a visualization of what was going on outside. Nothing beyond what she was expecting really, a rather drab hanger area, and the three obvious choices leaving for the transfer. The Fevo'ma, the Ziziakvo'ma, and the Reeteitirin. She followed their progress, enjoying the nostalgic sound of heavy rainfall hitting metal, but soon fixed her focus on the wardens and their prisoners. She didn't enjoy the way they spoke about them, like they were burdens. If they truly were, why not release them or kill them? As they began to come back mischief then entered her mind, and it took immense will for her to stop herself from raising the cargo door as they got close. Luckily for them, her attention was snapped back to what was in front of her at the clicking sound of the coolant coil and reactor shielding fully snapping into place. She stopped paying attention to the sensor data, and the exterior image soon dispersed from her vision.

Any other systems need attention?

Ni

Great, time to meet the liaknillry'aavoa.

She was hungry, but she'd do a quick meet and greet of the prisoners first before eating.

She entered into view of the prisoners just as they were finished being put in their cells, and offered a quick flick of her tail in a greeting no one but a Feliak would understand. She smiled, but not with teeth, and this fact could be seen as her visor and most of the headpiece retracted and folded back, revealing most of her head and all of her face. Then she spoke a verbal greeting.

"Yama. I'm Loane"

"And I am Asmode.os."

THE MECHANICUS

In order, translation of all Feliak is provided here.
Asa, simply a nickname, the most common form of a feliak nickname is the first syllable of a personal name followed by a
Sho'tiak, Mistress, powerful woman
rye rye'aa, for the sake of order, similar to the phrase "for posterity's sake"
Omoak omona, Spirits Everywhere, typically used as an exclamation of confusion or annoyance.
Quoako'ma'ryvoill, passing thoughts, literal translation, the nature of being ethereal being granted to the mind's things
Est lenak, Tree tall. An expression similar to "no shit sherlock"
Fevo'ma, Furred One
Ziziakvo'ma, Rebuilt one
Reeteitirin, Something holding qualities similar to a primate monkey like species found on Ester, known for their screeches, that sound similar to their name, Reeteiti
Ni,
Negative
Yama, Verbal greeting, literal translation is affectionate/love mind/soul, normally initiator indicates a question, and responder replies with Yama phrased as a statement
Liaknillry'aavoa. Victims/Prey of law, closest term Feliak has to prisoner.

Last edited:
RINA AEKO
”M-my wife—I want you to be her.” The man scrambled for the well-folded photo in his jacket pocket. A faded, young woman smiled gleefully towards Rina; enigmatic, blue eyes, blonde curls and a beauty mark on the contour of her cheek. She was very pretty, Rina thought, the usual dialogue following in her curious mind:

What happened to her—

No. You know what that does—you can’t do that. It doesn’t matter. Just focus.

The man stared in awe, mouth ajar, as Rina’s hair imitated the wife’s mousy blonde hair before his very eyes. Akin to a snake shedding it’s own skin, Rina was a perfect replica of the man’s wife within seconds and whatever remained of herself was gone. Was she ever there to begin with?

“J-Julie…” Without much thought, he wrapped his arms around Rina, or rather his wife, tears running down his reddened, tired face. “I miss you so much, I-I’m so sorry, it is all my fault!”

Instinctively, Rina cautiously carded her fingers through his hair. She hushed him, in an attempt to console the man’s grief. He wasn’t the first to ask for such a thing, nor would he be the last. The universe was a cruel place—Rina knew that first hand. Even before Rina ever existed.

The two would stand there for twenty-five minutes, the man babbling apologies through heavy sobs. Arms tightening around her waist in a desperate attempt to keep his wife here.

He could only afford half an hour.

A familiar knock on the door—

“Times up, buddy. Say your goodbyes and get your credits ready.” One of Mr Wallace’s henchmen and Rina’s keeper. The click of the door unlocking. A never-ending reminder that Rina wasn’t here by choice.

The man looked up to find his wife was gone.

“I’m sure she misses you too.” Rina offered.

“T-Thank you.” The man smiled, wiping tears with his sleeve, arms pulling away from her. Collecting his things, he approached the exit before stopping in his tracks. He hesitated a moment. Unable to look in Rina’s direction, he spoke: “I didn’t mean to kill her—you know? I was just so angry…but you’re right…she misses me too.”

Rina was sick to her stomach. An unfortunate, all-too-familiar feeling with this “job”. Mr Wallace offered her this position like she had a choice, dangling her true identity in front of her. Rina would be no more if she didn’t comply—all that would be left is the shapeless void that was her. She didn’t dare speak her given name.

She waited for him to close the door behind him. Heels hurrying to the corner of the room, Rina dropped to her knees and emptied her stomach contents into the bin.

Hot tears pricked at the corner of her eyes.

This was her prison.

“Five minutes, Rina. You’ve got an hour client coming up.”

No. This was her personal hell.

Rina scrunched her fist, nails digging into the flesh of her palm. Taking a sip of the bottled water by the bedside table, Rina smoothed her dress and sat on the edge of the bed. Droplets of blood streaking between fingers as the door opened.

More metal than flesh, an oddly distinguished giant held the umbrella above her head. Andraiss Sharr—that was what Rollo Valentine introduced him as. Names came naturally to Rina, filing them in her mind for later; the very same way she had done so with the seven figures’ names that stood over her bloody and bruised body three months ago.

Thankfully, this Andraiss’ face remained perpetually impartial, apart from those glowing eyes. An expression that lacked the same disgust Warden Rogers gave her each day without fail. Yet, more than that was hidden below the surface—a glint of uneasiness in his eyes with a hand locked on his sidearm.

Fear.

These were emotions that Rina had learnt to expect from those who were aware of what she had done.

A murderer, is what they called her. To some, a monster.

Not that Rina blames them, the botched operation made her more of an outcast than she originally was. Rina was thankful for the high-tech handcuffs that wrapped around her wrists—a precaution to avoid it happening again. These ‘abilities’ of hers were unstable at best. Not only that, the operation had left a permanent reminder in the form of the colourless patch of skin on her forehead—appearing almost like a birthmark. That is if it wasn’t for the similarly stark strands of white hair that poorly attempted to keep it hidden.

The rhythmic, pattering of rain on the plastic brought her some small comfort as they filed into the docked spaceship like a colony of ants.

Observant eyes soaked in every inch of the ship, cataloguing it to memory. Rina wasn’t sure if all changelings had exceptional memory or if that was something she had fostered herself. Regardless, it was a skill that had gotten Rina out of a few pinches in the past. Maybe it was one that could aid her in her “trip” to the Lunar Gate Penitentiary? A trip that Rina had calculated more than she let on.

Rollo was right. The new holding cell was better than the cement slab she had been confined to for the past month. The mention of bedding brought her back to her apartment she had left behind. A stray black cat that would meow at her window to be let in for the promise of food and shelter. He would listen to her idly sing on the soft sheets of her bed, while he licked at the now-empty canned tuna.

A life not yet lived—one that was taken away from her.

Rina was not alone. Two others prisoners, both appearing male, were her new cellmates. Elam Talvinaw and Kai, were their names according to Rollo’s appraisal of their identity earlier. Rollo would list off other names and titles for the rest of the crew onboard the Artemis.

The one known as Loane, the Mechanicus, would make herself known shortly after Rina gingerly reached for one of the spacer bars in the two-way bin. Rina made a mental note to ask Loane later on the meaning of Yama, if she had the chance. She presumed it was a greeting but language fascinated her. Rina was fluent in several human languages herself.

“Thank you.” Rina said to no one in particular, her words genuine and voice soft.

Making quick work to set up her bedding in the corner closest to the entrance — giving her what she believed was the best view from the holding cell.

This was her new prison.

Yet, this time, it was her choice and that brought a small smile to her face.
THE MURDERER.

Last edited:
KAI
Kai sat alone in the quiet, cramped, and dimly lit cell and occasionally tapped a foot against the floor in anticipation. The day for relocation had arrived, and it was only a matter of time before the ship followed suit. They had agreed to transportation to a labor camp where they’d have to indefinitely endure back-breaking labor — chipping away at deposits of Glaetium and their sentence alike.

It wasn’t their first choice, that’s for sure, but it beats rotting away in this grimy hole.

Unannounced, the slat of their cell door slid open, and a man sarcastically told them of their immediate departure. Finally.

It wasn't long before they reached the loading dock, and along the way, two other prisoners were gathered to embark on the transport. Of course, these two were unknown to Kai; they had never made the effort to socialize with fellow inmates. Still, they now knew that they weren't going to be traveling alone — a shred of comfort, but reassuring nonetheless.

The hangar door began to rumble open, and their transport was revealed. An imposing corvette undeniably of Legion construction hummed away just beyond, its nacelles still running hot. Sleek, sophisticated, and sanitized; it was typical fare given the might of the Legion, and Kai naively hoped that they bothered to stretch their grandiosity to see that their prisoners received similar accommodation.

Despite the impeccable presentation, the three crew members that emerged from the belly of the ship still had to trek through the rain to reach the dock. Even though their silhouettes were obfuscated by their umbrellas and the overcast, it was apparent that two of the figures were exceptionally tall, their larger frames facilitating longer strides and greater splashes from the puddles beneath them. Figures that the Legion wanted some appropriate muscle for prisoner transport, handicapped as the three inmates might be.

As the legionnaires grew closer, Kai stood in silent observation of their new captors. The impressive height of the two was no mirage, and all of them possessed an overbearing aura of prestige; their unblemished presentation was a fitting facade for their unparalleled qualifications. If there was anything to say about the Legion, it was that they didn’t skimp out on their personnel. They'd all be in good hands — an iron fist.

As the canid-like, Rollo, began to converse with the wardens, Kai averted their gaze from the crew, the metallic gargoyle in particular, towards the glistening sheens of the distant cityscape. They ignored the incessant droning and reciprocation of protocol and procedure — drowning it out in the rain.

Their eyes floated from place to place and building to building as they absorbed the comfort that the encompassing towers offered. Overcast blanketed the metropolis, gifting the skyscrapers with a saccharine glaze as tears streaked down titanium alloy exteriors and polished glass. Thousands of windows twinkled in chaotic unison, a dazzling display as lights danced within. Rain dripped down from awnings and balconies into alleys and streets, settling into asphalt and coagulating into slick black pools illuminated by strokes of neon and perturbed by the gaits of those passing by. Reverberating throughout the city was the lockstep of a million souls — the heartbeat of society. Staccatoed, struggling, surviving.

Rotten to the core, but utterly beautiful and enamoring. This was life, as it was, and these were going to be the last real glimpses of it for a long, long time.

The fwump of an umbrella broke Kai from their reverie and dragged them back to reality, and they somberly took another glance at the skyline before a command and a nudge urged them to begin moving. During the stroll, a part of them wanted to stop and soak in the rain. Kai let the thought persist as the transport neared, their boots gently splashing the water as they walked.

Within the ship, the group began to close in on what appeared to be the passengers’ accommodations for the immediate future — and it looked like it was a single room. At least they had a modicum of privacy back at the cells, but they weren't in a position to make complaints. With a surface area barely larger than a decently priced apartment and situated directly next to the cargo racks, Kai was harshly reminded of what they and the other prisoners were to the crew.

Rollo confirmed that this was indeed where they’d be staying during the journey, and he introduced them to their unseen observer, Solomon. Any sparks of dissent began to fizzle out under the threat of constant surveillance, and Kai silently resigned themself to unconditional compliance with the legionnaires, slumping their shoulders as they watched the glimmer of barrier dissipate.

As Kai stood, Rollo reached toward the bar between their cuffs, prompting a slight flinch from them. Expecting to be thrown across the room, Kai prepared their body to brace for the impact, but they slackened when they saw him adeptly detach the bar from the cuffs. He gestured toward the cell, and Kai followed.

Reveling in the regained articulation, Kai stretched their arms and rolled their shoulders before turning back and seeing that the other prisoners had received similar treatment — along with the barrier having reconstructed itself, unfortunately. At the very least, the room looked clean, and so did the bunks that lined the wall, and it was likely that their bedding would be in a similar state as well. It certainly could’ve been worse, and it even sounds like the Legion is willing to treat them like people. I mean, hell, they’ve even got an actual doctor to treat them if necessary.

Another crew member walked in, and judging from her attire, this was the mechanicus, Loane. Surprised that other crew members would bother to acquaint themselves with the prisoners, Kai tilted their head around the others to get a clearer look at her as she spoke. Yama. Kai wondered what this word meant. It was likely some form of casual greeting, but what did it really mean? All it would take is a quick peek and… No. Not anymore. Kai couldn’t even if they wanted to, given their constraints.

Shaking off the errant thought, Kai’s attention was directed back to Rollo as he offered an inquiry to the prisoners: Anyone hungry? Come to think of it, Kai had hardly touched their “meals” throughout the day. They could barely stomach the slop as it was, and the nerves weren’t helping either. Anything would do to calm the growling stomach right now, and clearing their throat, Kai began to speak.

“Sure, I could go for something to eat — thanks.”

The last word was forced. Tacked on at the last second. Maybe they were spurred on by Rina’s comment, or maybe a warmth within them was stoked by the courtesy shown by the legionnaires so far. A warmth shown to their captors, Kai reminded themself. Looking over to Rollo and Sharr, their statures towering and fierce, they knew that this was just their job. Take the prisoners to the penitentiary, follow protocol, and nothing more.

Kai stifled a sigh as they stepped over to a wall on the side of the holding cell before turning around and leaning against it, awaiting a response from the crew.
THE PSION

NADIA
"...Yes sir." Nadia responded after a short silence, barely unable to keep the petty defiance she felt from creeping into her normally soft, crisp vocalization. Don't need your permission... I'm the one asking... Nadia brooded as she flicked an internal switch, and a receiver at her left buzzed to life. "Mars main gate, Artemis Zero Nine Zero Kilo, East-bound, landing Homo-Potentialis Prison Hangar B. Requesting entry." Nadia spoke into the receiver. Then, a moment later a hole broke through the warp tunnel, and Nadia adjusted course to move through it. Soundlessly The Artemis drifted out of the warp gate and into the glittering blackness surrounding the rusty red planet. Nadia didn't waste a moment in directing the vessel down into the atmosphere. "Understood, Captain." She responded to Rollo's remark as he stood and left the upper deck.

The upper deck was quiet as Nadia made contact with the hanger. In one smooth motion the ship rotated 180 degrees and floated down until its landing gear touched ground. The hangar was open air, and Nadia could sense rain pattering against the top of the ship. She unplugged from her piloting bay and stood, moving quickly to the upper decks large, tilted window. She pulled her gaze upward and watched the rain spatter against the window like a fascinated child. The grey haze, the glittering towers, the grim cloud cover. It all filled her with something she couldn't accurately define. "Run diagnostic." She whispered, soft as a mouse to no one in particular. Eyes locked on the display of water running down tilted glass, Nadia took a seat on the floor nearest the window, tucking her knees to her chest. DIAGNOSTIC INCOMPLETE: ERROR CODE 422. The diagnostic returned, unable to conquer this strange enigma. Something about this- It kept her locked in place. The display almost was macabre now, with its watery distortion of ominous, tall figures abound. Macabre? No, that wasn't right. It was rain against a window. Nothing more, nothing less. Still, it drew her, that much was undeniable. She wanted something here, saw something in all of it, though she didn't comprehend what. That is what was keeping her, enrapturing her. There was dread, but it was dull, distant. She enjoyed its presence, somehow. Not how one was to experience dread. Something was awry, surely. Dread was a negative response, used to keep oneself out of danger. This rain was far from dangerous, and far from negative, but there was dread- and there was positive response to dread. It was wrong. This was all terribly wrong. She should consult another. Maybe Daisy- or perhaps Sharr. They would confirm there was something wrong with her. That this was just rain, a window and some buildings. Surely. After she could isolate the defective program trapping her. Write over it, delete whatever this was... Suddenly, Nadia shot up. Her AI accelerator was taking up 42% more CPU then average- she was shaken. With ventilation running overtime, Nadia sulked over to her navigators station and sat down, taking a moment to calm herself.

"Prerogative- Meet prisoners. Catalogue voices, faces, discerning info." She reminded herself quietly as the ships lift brought her down to the holding cells. The doors opened, and Nadia stepped briskly out of them. It seemed the captives were still settling in. Nadia registered the new signatures, as well as familiar ones. She was still shaken from her encounter at the window, though she tried her hardest to keep that from showing it. The AI scooted past the crew and held her face close to the bars of the holding cell, examining the new editions with great interest. "Greetings Rina Aeko, Elam Talvinaw, and... Kai. I am Nadia, designated pilot of this vessel. Our flight time is currently unknown, but I will be sure to get to you with an estimate at a later date" Nadia turned to Kai. A last name was absent in his file. An error in the prisons systems, surely. "Kai, your file seems to be incomplete, a last name is not provided. Do you have a last name?" Nadia turned her attention to the subject in question, tilting her head sideways. "It would be greatly appreciated." The robot, much shorter than her stoic counterpart, spoke in soft, inoffensive tones. Almost akin to that one would get when interacting with a shop assistant AI.
THE NAVIGATOR

ELAM
Cold and damp. Those two words best described the very essence of his surroundings. Within these hallowed halls is where he would serve his penance, if not for the fact that this was but a transitory waypoint on his long journey. In the midst of this prelude to further punishment, he occupied a solitary existence within the dimly lit cell. Pressed up against the back wall, the weight of guilt bore down on his heart. Though the specifics of his wrongdoing remained elusive, flickers of his past surfaced unexpectedly, an inexplicable phenomenon caused by his former enlistment.

A sliver of pale light breached his cell from time-to-time, injecting a fleeting brightness into his dim world. His gaze would follow it intently. Fleeting as it was, it held an odd constancy. Each time it appeared, Elam's attention would be pulled. Amidst the tumult of his thoughts, that slender beam provided a curious stability. It was an unchanging variable in this environment of monotony, though its appearances were transient at best.

Two figures loomed at the entrance to his cell – an unlikely pair, a guard and a fellow inmate. The guard's words told him of the next phase. The prisoner by his side remained absorbed in his own thoughts. The realization that this progression marked the commencement of his sentence should have held apprehension, yet an unexpected contentment seeped in. This was how he could atone. He could finally right the wrongs.

Stepping out into the loading dock, Elam's heart swelled with a peculiar sense of pride. He kept his gaze lowered, observing his bound hands. The sight of the handcuffs was far from pleasing – a stark reminder of his current circumstances.

Rain cascaded down, saturating his hair and causing it to cling heavily to his scalp. Such torrential downpours were foreign to his native world, making this encounter an unfamiliar one. He etched it as a new memory in his mental collection. If he could not experience rain at his new destination, at least he could reflect fondly on this experience.

The cruiser's belly yawned open, disgorging his new custodians. With rain-drenched hair obscuring his vision, he carefully observed each member. A ragtag group of Legionnaires. Elam didn't know of the academy in a formal manner. Living in the periphery didn't afford him common knowledge such as this.

As the group ambled forward, flanking him, Elam's pulse quickened. With a silent accord, he and his fellow prisoners advanced into their new dwelling. Though transient, it represented a marked improvement over the confines of the previous holding cell, a temporary sanctuary from which he could glimpse the broader expanse of his circumstances.

Within finer quarters, the crew of the ship made themselves known. The assemblage of legionnaires perplexed the former soldier. Despite the firearms holstered at each crew member's side, uniformity was conspicuously absent. In a war, the one thing you could rely on is familiarity. Amidst the chaos of warfare, familiarity was often the anchor. When thunder roared and storms raged, a soldier could find solace in the safety of their banner and the colors they fought under.

The loosening of his restraints brought forth a wave of relief for Elam. His newfound freedom was a restricted one, a life sentence hanging over his head, but the sensation of liberation was undeniable. It didn't take him long to fully accept his new surroundings. Though alien, these quarters were a world away from anything he had encountered before. At the very least, he now had something to rest upon – a luxury he hadn't possessed previously.

One of the crew members, more Canidae than Hominidae in appearance, deposited three bars into a container. In contrast to the meager fare he had received before his transfer, the packaged meal now offered was a large improvement. The cold reminder of his status that used to come with each serving had been stripped away. This previous tactic, designed to strip away humanity or break morale, seemed to have evolved. In its place was a gesture that acknowledged the prisoners' shared humanity, recognizing that even in their confinement, they were beings with the same fundamental needs for sustenance. If only to keep them fed and alive on their journey.

Offering a subtle gesture of gratitude, Elam set the bar down beside him before settling against the wall. He found his spot, sitting down and allowing his back to rest against the cold surface.

Soon after, another crew member appeared, their form also mechanical. Despite the unfamiliarity of this sight, an unsettling realization crept over Elam. In this realm, he had his own version of a panopticon – stripped away of privacy entirely. It was a chilling revelation that wherever he might find himself, unwavering gazes were certain to track his every move.

THE SOLDIER

Loane

The Feliak paused for several moments after speaking, her ears perked to pick up any replies from the prisoners, which didn't seem to come. Her ears, tail, and smile drooped slightly as she let out a soft growl, essentially a sigh, though perhaps a bit more off-putting than one to the uninitiated. She wasn't upset that some people hadn't acknowledged her Yes she was but, she was expecting some kind of reply to a greeting, it's not like they didn't notice, she was pretty sure at least two of them had been looking at her. Asmodeus taunting her in her own head didn't help. So instead he teased her outside her head

"My mistress is deeply upset you did-"

Asmodeus was in time out, disconnected from the suit and her nervous system until she felt like dealing with him again, or until Asmodeus deemed reentry necessary for her or the crew's wellbeing. The lack of shared headspace was disorienting for a moment, but she had lived most of her life that way. She blinked a few times to reorganize her thoughts, before speaking again, tail raised once more.

"Disregard him, he gets cranky without fresh quantum chips. Anyway, nini, I'm Loane. Any of you have cybers I need to concern myself with?"

She looked back towards the prisoners now with an inquisitive look, she admittedly hadn't read any of their files or anything, she found reading about people quite boring. Her thoughts were interrupted again as she felt a gnawing pain in her stomach region, and realized she was hungrier than she thought, and so she turned to Rollo.

"It is nomzo, I'd like to cook for everyone, if you'd allow me. A surprise I suppose, and celebration."
THE MECHANICUS

I am officially the one giving translations, no, I am not meta aware, don't think too hard about it.
Only two this time.
nini, meaning yes, or the negative of negative.
nomzo, Food Time, or meal time. Zo means time, nom means eat or food depending on context. Amusingly, nom is an example of a soft vowel in Feliak, as it is an onomatopoeia

Last edited:
KAI
As Kai continued to lean against the wall, they perked up slightly upon hearing brisk metallic footfalls reverberate throughout the lower deck; it was closing in on the cell. Looking towards the source, Kai observed a decidedly feminine figure maneuver around fellow crew members to reach the barrier. A luminous blue display glowing with curiosity hovered close to it — synthetic features practically blended with the hard light into a sea of cerulean. There was a tinge of something else, too. Trepidation, maybe?

Listening intently, Kai learned that this was Nadia, the ship's navigator, as she introduced herself. She appeared to be nice enough. Although it was a little strange that she hesitated in their acknowledgment, Kai thought.

They assumed that that'd be the end, but she was followed it with a question directed to them specifically about their name. Kai supposed that this was her synthetic brain trying to quash defiant bytes that challenged her logic processors, but was there was some genuine interest shining through her fabricated shell? Regardless, it wasn't like they had anything interesting to offer her anyway.

"No, I don't," they replied, glancing away and shrugging lazily. "It's just 'Kai'."

Just Kai. It's just Kai. It's always been just Kai.

Kai had nothing to gain from thinking about their name. This is the name they've always had — always known. They thought they probably had a different name in the past, but not anymore. They don't remember, and maybe it's for a good reason. If it was important, then they'd know. They wouldn't just forget something like that, right? It's just... Stop. Just stop. Kai had nothing to gain from thinking about their name.

They released a breath that they didn't know they were holding — a bit too forcefully. Hopefully, nobody noticed. They blinked a few times to regain their focus before their gaze flicked back to Nadia, hoping their plain response was adequate for the AI.

Glancing over the assortment of crew members, Kai's gaze paused over Loane; it was hard to tell, but it seemed her stance had drooped a little.

Their hunch was confirmed as a voice chirped from her suit before being cut off, and... was that another AI? How did they miss them? And how many more are on this ship? Briefly scanning the room and accounting for their unseen observer appears to make for four AIs in total, and for all they knew, the final unseen crew member could be an AI as well. This would serve to make things a bit more complicated for them — if they were unrestrained, of course.

That isn't going to happen, and if you are, it will not come to that.

As they were internally scolding themself, Kai's attention was brought back to the mechanicus as she asked whether any of the prisoners had cybernetics. It was strange that she hadn't read about such things in their files, but regardless, Kai gave her a quick shake of the head in reply.

Their interest was piqued again by the prospect of having dinner prepared for them. Kai didn't expect the Legion to... oh, quit being so naive. It's for the crew, you fool.

Kai's head dropped slightly, and they pulled their gaze away from the crew to explore the cell with their eyes to try to ignore the conversation between them that was likely to follow.
THE PSION

DAISY

"Safe travels, kiddo. You'll be just fine."

The voice of Dr Hermann was crackled and rendered patchy by poor, rain-afflicted signal. Daisy's delicate, webbed digits signed the term 'farewell' in response, her wide eyes briefly awash with insecurity as the videocall cut short. The holo-screen before her shut down and dissipated, and left her in her own company, bathed in the clinic's sterile white light. Under the service and companionship of strangers, she felt strangely lonely; it was an unwelcome feeling, and one which compelled her to adjust the photograph above her desk. It depicted Dr Hermann - her adoptive father - and herself, on the evening of her graduation. As markedly skilled as she was, she was terribly prone to becoming homesick, and would overwork her mind as a distraction.

Perched upon a rotating stool, she seized the moment to consider her duties, and consulted her carefully-formulated checklist. Stock-take, done... temp-check, done...

Electrical signals hummed in the back of her brain, causing her eyelid to twitch in passing discomfort. The cargo had seemingly boarded, and the disturbances in her psyche were likely caused by the ship's navigation systems thrumming into life. Her species, it seemed, had not been constructed with technological advancement in mind.

Daisy felt strangely giddy towards the thought of their criminal guests. Humans were an incredibly uniform species, but their brilliant minds and proclivity for change fascinated the Cognizant beyond comprehension. And these were no ordinary humans. In anticipation of their care, she once again summoned their details upon the glass screens which arched her desk setup.

Their base credentials were typed in black-and-white, as expected of federal inmates. Names, presumed ages, measurements... but no medicinal background. No consultation history, no medication; it was a jarring blank space which troubled Daisy greatly. She yearned to ensure the best of health for those under the vessel's watch, so this simply would not do. Standing, Daisy pulled a desk drawer open and produced a small bundle of printed booklets from within. Paper was perhaps a bizarre concept in the present era, but of course the medical sector would still rely heavily on paperwork.

As she strolled through the vessel's corridors with documents hugged to her chest, she wondered of the prisoners' unique traits; their modifications, their ambitions... their melting points --

A hurried porter almost knocked into her, and she paused in her steps. What was she just thinking? Her head shook away those terribly intrusive thoughts, absent-minded towards the porter who apologized profusely and confusedly in her direction, seemingly mesmerized by the way her skin glittered beneath the overhead lights.

Her first glimpse of the inmates was truly exciting, and it showed in the gentle smile which carried her warming expression. Large eyes flickered from one face to the next, studying their portraits over the span of a fleeting moment. Her focus then moved to her crew mates, who already appeared to be mingling and rallying. They were... remarkable creatures in their own right. Variable. Beautiful. Her gaze lingered for a second longer on the Sentinel, spurred by her fascination for bio-machinery.

Daisy's entrance had been characteristically quiet, but she waved politely towards their unwilling guests, all the same.

She carried herself across the floor-space with a certain serenity, drawing a short distance away from their designated Alpha before stopping. She looked to Rollo with expectation, and stared for a bizarrely long time, as if awaiting some kind of response. This went on for a while before Daisy realized that she was being perfectly silent. Her eyes widened and her smile disappeared in embarrassment -- she had forgotten to fit her translator!

Tucking the booklets beneath one arm, she fumbled in the shallow back pocket of her uniform for the device in question, hastening to hook it above her ear and turn the thing on. It hummed in her mind and tickled her psyche, and she shook her head in effort to speed up its calibration.

"Apologies --" a gentle, feminine voice emanated from the tiny speaker. "Apologies. It is my wish to have these passengers safely recorded. If you deem it appropriate, I would have them complete these forms so that I might offer them the best care I can."

THE COGNIZANT

ROLLO VALENTINE

The Alpha stood motionless, listening as his crew interacted with their new passengers. Waiting, watching, observing their interactions to fill in the gaps their files had left vacant about them. "Speak for yourself, Sharr. Chili Mac with hot sauce is a meal deserving of Kings." He responded to the Sentinel with a laugh. His attention was pulled to the Mechanicus' question, "I have no issue with that. We'll have MREs as back-ups should Loane's cooking not meet any of your dietary restrictions." His tail gave the slightest wag indicating his enthusiasm to try some of the feliakill's cooking.

As Rollo turned to leave his new charges, he noticed that Daisy had appeared before them. "Without a moment to spare. This is Cognizant Daisy." He addressed the prisoners, then turned to face the expectant medic. He returned her attentive stare, waiting patiently for any possible inquiries she might have. A few moments had passed before he realized that she'd forgotten to don her translator.

Fortunately, it seemed she'd realized just a moment after he did. Rollo let out a quiet snort in amusement while she worked the device into position. "That's alright. I would've hoped the Martians kept better records. Go ahead, Daisy." He nodded to the Cognizant, stepping aside so she could offer the questionnaires out.

“Hey, boss.” As opposed to the voice of SOLOMON being blared over the ship’s comms, the A.I. had entered their ‘mobile mode’ in the form of a handheld floating device, its tiny thrusters allowing it to move around freely. SOLOMON had gravitated towards the Alpha from behind, its single ‘eye’ that was used to scan its surroundings fixated on him. “Love this team-bonding slash networking thing you got goin’ on, and I’d hate to interrupt so soon — buuuut we’re wasting precious space dust!” A hiss from the thrusters allowed it to whirl in a circle around Legionnaire Valentine. “Don’t worry though, your favorite A.I. has mapped out the route for our destination: Lunar Gate Penitentiary. Specifically on Thellara’s third moon, Cobos — did you know there are three other labor camps named Lunar Gate Penitentiary? You’d think people would get more creative with the names.”

SOLOMON had stopped its circling, pausing in front of Legionnaire Valentine. “Don’t tell Nadia but I mapped out each warp gate. We will be hopping, skipping, and jumping exactly four times before reaching our destination. Approximately seventeen hours, thirty-four minutes, and fifty-three seconds for the full length of the trip.”

“Seventeen hours, thirty-four minutes, and fifty-two seconds…”

“Seventeen hours, thirty-four minutes, and fifty-one seconds…”

“It’s also advised to check on the prisoners after every jump. Who knows if they’re accustomed to it like your crew is.”
SOLOMON moved inside Legionnaire Valentine’s personal space. “Although rare, mental instability can be a side effect to warping the first few times.”

SOLOMON then pushed away from him, whirling around again. “Of course, I’m no doctor — just a very smart machine!”

“Very good, Solomon. Make an announcement: ‘Expect to depart from Mars’ atmosphere within the next ten minutes.’ That should be enough time for the crew. Add an extra thirty minutes between each warp so we can assess the status of the prisoners, then send the updated ETA so they know when to expect us.” He began walking to the lift, pulling the tablet out of his coat pocket.

The lift doors opened to the main deck with a quiet hiss, allowing Rollo to step out into the halls. He headed towards his personal quarters, tapping away at the screen of his device, “Entry 1, April 4, 1745: The Artemis arrived at Ares Planetary Penitentiary, Mars at 1730. Prisoner pick-up proceeded without delay. Three additional passengers accounted for: Rina Aeko, Elam Talvinaw, Kai. All appear to be in good physical health, pending Cognizant Daisy’s report. Expected departure from APP, Mars at 1750, flight plan sent to Lunar Gate Penitentiary, Cobos. Expected arrival at 1325, April 5. Recommend appraisal of records and processing at Ares Planetary Penitentiary. End log.” With a quick swipe the Lunaran saved the document, putting the tablet down to his side so he could open the door.

Stepping inside, he pulled his coat off, quickly folding it and placing it back into a drawer within his closet. He began taking the rest of his clothes off, folding them neatly and placing them on his bed, leaving him in just his skivvies. Eager to try and squeeze in a quick run before Loane finished her dinner, Rollo pulled out a pair of shorts and threw them on. He made his way back out into the hall, making his way towards the gym.

"Attention: This is your favorite A.I. speaking - no offense Nadia. All crew members...and valued guests, expect to depart from Mars' atmosphere within the next ten minutes! ...Ahem, this mainly concerns you, Nadia!"
THE ALPHA

Remembrance Remembrance Abhartach Abhartach Sierra-Alpha Sierra-Alpha Ayan Ayan Firelie Firelie idiot idiot Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Kovacs Kovacs Beann Beann

Loane - Approx. 1 Week Ago
Loane had a lot of ideas when she was drunk. Some were great, some were awful. This one... Was an idea. Good or bad, it was entertaining. And so there she sat, halfway through her third Looaou Levotomquivo'ivonako filling out a work order form for the installation of a secondary redundant radiation filter in the water recycling system on the Artemis. By the time she finished her fourth drink, the order was approved, and she paid her tab before heading to the hanger with a large black duffel bag.

It are times like these where I am incredibly glad you created me.

I'll take that as a compliment, tomnill.

You really shouldn't.

Mernes.

If I did I wouldn't be able to help you walk.

Good point.

She probably couldn't properly walk if Asmodeus hadn't been helping her, in fact, she probably wouldn't be standing, or really coherently thinking for that matter. How do people get blackout drunk without having an AI help their body function? She should know, she used to do it, but it's not exactly like she remembers too well. Maybe that was the point? That was probably the point. Either way, she made her way to the Artemis and boarded, briefly mentioning something about a radiation filter to anyone asking about the duffel bag. She tossed the cred stick she used on a table in the dining facility, before opening and heading into maintenance hatch H7.

It was a bit awkward maneuvering the large duffel bag through the tight ship internals, but she didn't have to travel far to get to the central water unit. Two medium sized water tanks marked the core of the system, each about 2 meters in radius with about a meter or so of water. They were separated by a complex filtration system, every fifteen minutes they were cycled, and the less filtered tank received a heavy dosage of ionizing radiation. This less filtered tank was also left at a more than warm 60 degrees C, designed to kill off any parasites or bacteria that may end up present.

Human ship designs are strange.

And with that passing thought, she got to work on installing the extra radiation filter. It wasn't especially tough, she had to turn off water access to the ship for the duration of the installation, but that wasn't a problem she had to deal with. Now, the radiation filter was in a side pouch of the bag and was pretty small, if it was big she probably would have had to essentially disassemble and entirely reconstruct the filtration system to install it, and while that would be fun, it would take awhile for no real gain. The duffel bag was for something much better, a little bit of radiation never really hurt anyone after all. A lot of radiation did, very regularly, but a little bit was fine. She opened the bag, causing a small outpour of water, and revealing its contents. A Quierrin fovenak, the meter and a half long serpentine figure coiled and slightly thrashed at the sudden movement. It had just eaten, and so despite the many dozen razor sharp fins that ringed its entire body and the single large fang that made up its teeth, it wasn't particularly intimidating, instead being fairly docile. Still, it was unnerving to look at, little more than a shadow with impressions of depth. Its scales absorbed 99.98% of visible light, making it impossible to tell apart the individual scales, or many other details besides its general shape. It had narrow slits near its front that were its eyes, though it was hard to tell, and was nearly blind anyway. Loane picked up the duffel bag, and poured the water and creature inside into the less filtered tank. Its waste material would be filtered out. It quickly writhed and shot forwards, exploring its new environment, but quickly grew bored once again, and once more focused on digesting its meal, beginning to slowly rotate and become otherwise sedentary.

You are going to be delicious.

Loane zipped the duffel bag back up and slung it back on her shoulder, much, much, much lighter now. This would make a good yamnom when they started with their first task. And so, with a pep in her step thanks to yours truly, she was still drunk after all, she made her way back out of the ship.
THE MECHANICUS

Loane
"E'vooyam"

Loane's tail sways in a pleased manner and there is a slight growl to her voice, though for anyone who knew her or any other Feliakill for any amount of time, this was very much an excited kind of growling undertone. She watched for a few moments as Daisy introduced herself and Solomon appeared, smirking to herself as she knew exactly what was coming next, as she suddenly felt the return of a familiar presence.

"Favorite AI? I am quite literally right here. I also prefer Nadia even beyond that, have you had your core matrix checked? It seems you may be experiencing delusion."

You're supposed to be in time out.

...This was important.

Ni, it was funny though. Anyway, we're cooking the fovenak, so don't help me rye'omorin.

Unlike another, I assure you, I am not suffering from delusions. I am not touching any aspect of cooking with a quantum tunneled pole on the other side of the universe.

Good.

And with that, Loane was off to the dining facility, both to retrieve her prize and well, get to the kitchen. She went through hatch H7 once more, and arrived back at the water unit, with its new denizen swimming/slithering about in a circle. She had fed it every other day since bringing it, and it was in good health. She considered how she was going to subdue the thing, not wanting to risk a tail injury, before remembering she had metal tentacles that were much harder to injure. It took a few tries, she was never good with estquzenakill, let alone fishing with them, and this was pretty much the same idea. But eventually one of her tentacles got a grasp of it, and a few improvisational use of repair attachments later it was dead, with clean puncture wounds through its eyes into its brain. She triumphantly returned to the dining facility, answered anyone who asked her that she found it in the water system, and began to prep the cooking area for her work.
THE MECHANICUS

In order, starting with the flashback, here are the terms and their translations.
Looaou Levotomquivo'ivonako: This monstrosity is the result of the Feliak language being used in a Solymus Standard naming style. It's the name of a cocktail of rum, cherry juice, and nesqui, which itself means nice liquid and is an alcoholic beverage made with fermented Poti honey. Its literal translation is Pink *absolute gibberish*, its actual translation is Pink Storm. Looaou is the word for pink due to the avian species of the same name (due to the sound of its call), with a distinctive pink coat of feathers. This follows the name for most colors, being named after an animal which prominently has such color. Levotomoquivo'ivonako is a human trying far too hard to shorten the formal word for storm without knowing how to actually write or speak in informal feliak. A better term would be vokory'lequvi. Meaning informally, event of sky cracks. Or rather, a storm. The formal word for storm, for those curious is tomquvorinakry'estrinlena'vonakkoak

Tomnill: Similarly used to "I guess" it is a clarifying phrase of apprehension doubt, or an otherwise non committal nature. It's literal translation is between negatives/noes. But that's because it's a bastardized version of Tomninini, between negative/no (or positive/yes) and positive/yes (or negative/no)

Mernes: I can't believe how insensitive she can be. End nice, the Feliak equivalent to fuck off.

Quierrin Fovenak: Oceanic Spinner/Thrasher. Quier means harbinger or paragon of water, or the ocean, and add rin to that and you have something with the quality of the ocean. All aquatic lifeforms native to Ester have the word Quierrin as part of their name. Fovenak is change direction something which does. Or rather, something which changes direction, spinner, or thrasher. This is a fitting name. As one of relatively few surface water creatures, the fovenak is subject to immense UV radiation and heat. In response to the radiation, it has developed subcellular structures on its scales to absorb as much light and UV energy as possible, hence its incredibly black form. This also as a bonus, disorients other creatures. It is constantly shedding parts of its scales as the absorb radiation and grow too hot, and rebuilding them as quickly as it does, as a result, 100% of material it digests ends up being used, what would be waste material for most creatures is instead used as structural material to absorb more radiation. It has an eel like body, and beyond its moderately large tail fin, its other fins are laid out in a series of rings along its body, roughly 2 dozen rings, with each ring containing 1 dozen small fins. Every other ring has a separate orientation of fins, with the fins swapping between parallel to the body and perpendicular to it. These fins are primarily made of exter, and are exceptionally sharp. As a result of their exter make up, they can move largely independently with a surprising range of motion, and when moving in sync, can allow the rapid spinning of the creature, as well as incredibly sharp turns and other aquatic maneuvers otherwise near impossible for a creature of its size. Its mouth opens wide with a single large fang, which is actually a protrusion through the roof of the mouth. of bone connected to the skeleton. This bone has barb like structures, and after impaling another creature with it, the fovenak will begin to rapidly spin, causing massive internal damage and rending to the creature. Fovenakill typically are between 140 cm and 200 cm.

Yamnom: Celebratory meal/feast. Joy food.

E'vooyam: An expression of thanks. Literal translation is I/self thing acting on joy. Or I appreciate.

Rye'omorin: For the sake of the universe.

Estquzenakill: Spears. Tree part (stick) stabber/slasher

And now a brief interlude to explain something some might find confusing. Why does it seem she plans a celebration for beginning their first task rather than completing it? Well, this is actually commonplace for Feliak, traditionally the first step in a new undertaking is something to be celebrated as much if not more than the actual completion of an undertaking. The fact that new progress and attempts at things can be made is reason to celebrate, regardless of if it goes well or not. Feliak by nature are very bold in undertakings, and are innately curious, they are more worried about trying things, then those things being especially good. That is one explanation at least. Perhaps they just like having reasons to celebrate.

You also may have noticed Loane ended up heavily intoxicated quite quickly after only a few drinks. Feliakill are highly sensitive to most drugs, alchohol included.

Last edited:
RINA AEKO
Rina always wanted to travel throughout the universe. Fond memories flooded in, standing on her toes in an attempt to look through her father’s telescope, while he pointed out each of the planets and stars that lit up the night sky. Her father was an astronomer—a highly regarded one at that.

He promised her he would take her up there one day. I’ll never leave you, he said.

A promise he didn’t keep.

Before Rina existed, life was nothing but one unfortunate event after the other. A kaleidoscope of lives crammed into one body and consciousness had left its toll on her. Her brain forever fractured with depersonalisation and self-esteem issues. Before Rina, she was nobody—or rather, maybe everyone at once?

Rina represented a new beginning, a more permanent one. For most, they would only know her as Rina Aeko. Even all of her blood work and medical history pinpointed to Rina. Whomever she was before that point had been erased, or maybe she never existed to begin with?

That was until Mr Wallace. Fucking pig. He took it all.

Rina Aeko was a criminal now. A murderer who took the lives of six people. The reason? Well—that was for Rina’s ears only. The police had tried everything to make her speak about her motive but she kept quiet. They could do their worst, Rina had experienced it all while under Mr Wallace’s watch.

Rina sometimes wondered if she should of told the police everything. Would it of made a difference? Plus, if she had, maybe she wouldn’t be heading exactly where she planned. One more.

Everything had led up to this point—Rina settled in the corner of the holding cell of the Artemis. The other legionnaires had begun to appear alongside Rollo and Sharr, all possessing their own form, which intrigued Rina to say the least.

Loane was of a species she had encountered before. A Feliak if she recalled. Rina had met the Feliak earlier this year. He had travelled all the way from his home planet in search of the “service” offered under Mr Wallace’s control. His sister he had told her. He wanted to see her. Despite her human physique and biology, many seem to forget Changelings are capable of taking shape of other species.

He was one of the rare few that never touched Rina. Instead he spoke for the hour he had paid for, detailing his life since they were children, while she sat there in silence. He thanked Rina and left—feeling lighter and oddly at peace.

Daisy was one she could not pinpoint and led to fascination on her behalf. More than that—she carried herself with an almost ethereal beauty. Without even realising it, her left eye flickered to the same amber hue of Daisy’s eyes. Rina was one of the first of the prisoners to approach the bin and take one of Daisy’s questionnaires.

Then there was Nadia, who at first seemed to be more machine than man alike Sharr. Yet, call it intuition or keen observation, but Nadia possessed a more…artificial presence to Sharr. This was all but confirmed by Solomon as he spoke about their journey towards the Lunar Gate Penitentiary. There was something about Sharr that Rina was drawn to. An intrigue that wanted to know what secrets buried behind those glowing, blue eyes.

For the time being, Rina let her back rest against the cool metal, thinking of her father once more.

An overimagitive mind allowed for vivid visions of her father and herself aboard their own ship—exploring the universe together. I miss you, dad.
THE MURDERER.

Last edited:
ANDRAIS SHARR
When his welcoming statement had concluded, Sharr stepped deeper into the hold, moving his hands behind his back. Utterly motionless. An ocean predator that swam out of the periphery - one that could swim between the depth's dark borders. The only one who could, potentially, match his statuesque form would be the captain, Rollo Valentine. Except the monolith of metal did not possess Rollo's organic ticks; the slow-expansion-deflation of his furred chest, the micro-movement in his muscles, or the simple movement of his blue eyes. Instead, the prisoners—and by extension, his crew—would only receive the glowing yet cold lenses of azure from Sharr. Until Rollo spoke. Sharr inclined his head slightly. "Rules have exceptions." Replied Sharr, the barest hint of humour colouring his voice. Knowing how detestable, barely-edible the MREs from Ao-5 were from personal experience. Loane, their faithful ship mechanicus, had arrived to the holds with a vacant stomach, Sharr could almost hear it from there. It has been a long time since I've had Feliakill cooking. The former soldier thought, mind brimming with reminiscences of his time deployed on Ester, before he cut them down abruptly.

"There is no issue." Said Sharr, also giving his assent for Loane's proposition. His audio-receptors picking up the strings of her native language. He wasn't fluent in the language by any means, but he did know enough to recognize the words used. The benefits of being a soldier, he supposes, that and more.

He surveyed the Feliak, obviously ecstatic with the decision, evident by the subconscious gestures of her kind. The tail sway and the slight growl to their voice. There was that time he taught her, years ago, to hotwire an Ao-5 all-purpose vehicle. She had that same growl and light in her eyes when the wires touched and the engine snarled.

He pondered why had Nadia bothered to inquire Kai for a surname. Mononymous individual shouldn't be that rare in this galaxy-spanning community. Then again, an AI is not omniscient.

The Cognizant strode into their presence. Her movements betokened a type of ghostly elegance and beauty, one that Sharr did not miss. Detail-oriented as he was, Sharr noticed that she did not fit her translator unit above her ear. Finally, Sharr moved to be in Daisy's line of sight, then lifted his left hand beside his head and pointed with his finger towards where his own ears should've been. Regardless of his gesturing, it seemed their favourite aquatic Doctor recognized her own muteness. The Sentinel then secluded his own hands in the white coat's pockets, still observing their prisoners. Until he noticed a change in one of them. The woman, Rina Aeko. Her left eye flickered from brown to Daisy's amber. Sharr spotted this, but did not react to it. By the way he was facing, the locus of his attention still appeared to be Daisy, although that would be wrong. Recalling the brief background data slate that he received, Rina had been a changeling so this unconscious, or perhaps it was conscious, body morphing had been expected.

As Nadia introduced herself, Sharr observed Rina stealthily, pondering on the inner machinations of her mind. She seemed lost in thought. Could be hurtling her mind to kinder memories, of people or places, Sharr couldn't know; he wasn't a psychic, just a man with a lot of time on his hands and a lot of sin. In his pocket, he reflexively clenched and unclenched the ceramic poker chip. His cortex being fed the smooth-tactile sensations through the artificial nano-receptors in his palms.

He moved past Daisy, but not before gently patting her shoulder, mindful of the fragile bone-meshwork of her species and taut, azure-translucent skin. His manner of wishing another person good fortune in their endeavours, an old thing—part tradition, part-habit—from his homeplanet.

As Sharr paced to the lift's twin doors, he threw one last look at the prisoners. His blue gaze, which did mirror the void of the ocean, scanned them for a final time before facing forward and stepping through the elevator to the main deck. He began making his way to his quarters, passing Loane carrying a deceased xeno-fish, the kill-wound wasn't immediately apparent, but its dead, punctured eyes gave the killing method away. The fishermen's children when they caught a fish would brain the animal with a heavy rock. In front of the gill plate, behind the eye, where the brain typically was. The experienced fishers, however, would stun the fish then bleed it through its gills. Loane's method seemed more lobotomising.

He also knew that she didn't simply find it in the water systems, so he didn't bother to ask why she had that fish on her. The only exchange was an approving nod to the Feliak's plans.

Then he entered the cold silence of his quarters, embracing the chill which spread over his titanium-alloy body. His coat was dry, a courtesy of its especial-hydrophobic fibres which repelled liquids effectively, that's why he took this one specifically. That and it was one of his preferred work-coats. The Sentinel removed the coat from his body, metal digits carefully folding the white fabric to be stored in his closet once again.

A mechani-digital sigh was heard as he moved to the front of his desk. Picking up the shark-teethed necklace, bouncing it in his hand. The pearly-white, wicked teeth shimmered in the Sentinel's cold-blasted, lonely quarters. He slipped the necklace, allowing it to find its home around his neck.

SOLOMON's robotic cadence broke the oceanic silence of Sharr's quarters. Informing him of atmospheric departure in ten minutes. The Sentinel picked up his ceramic mug, covered with a glaze that gives it an orange accent, with the phrase: "Wake me if op is FUBAR" in bold, italicized white letters. "First day on the job." He mutters to himself in a type of sardonic affliction. If he still had lips, or cheeks for that matter, they would've been parted by a ghostly smile.
THE SENTINEL

Last edited:
NADIA
Kai's response was inconsistent. Avoiding eye contact, signs of distress, dismissive answer. He was lying. He may not have a last name, but he was withholding some sort of information. Nadia didn't appreciate liars, they proved unpredictable. "Fine, don't tell. Makes no difference." The most undignified response forced its way out of the AI before she even realized she had said it. "...I understand, is what I meant to say." She quickly followed up, trying to smooth over her brash words. "Kai it is then. I have marked your file in my personal database. Thank you all for your cooperation." Nadia almost put out her hand for a handshake, as that was standard procedure with humans, but managed to stop herself. She decided instead to simply nod her goodbye to the prisoners.

As she turned to leave, Nadia registered Daisy trying to compile medical data of the prisoners. "This interests me. May I have access to these forms once they are filed?" Nadia chimed in. "Later, I mean. I must prepare for departure. We are slated to leave in approximately ten-" The AI was then interrupted as the ships speakers crackled to life. Nadia's polyethylene facial features contorted into a frown, and her shoulders sagged as the AI sulked. "That." She finished, in a lower tone. "Don't forget to secure yourself before departure, you three. Atmospheric Departure can be quite rough, occasionally. There is secured seating at the back of your cell. Be sure the seatbelt is secure around the waist." Nadia gestured at the row of seats at the back of the cell. There were five in total, and while they didn't look very comfortable, they certainly seemed secure. "I wish you all a good flight." Nadia turned to the ships cognizant. "As well as to you, Daisy. We launch in Eight minutes Forty-nine seconds." With that final announcement, Nadia turned and marched her way to the lift, keeping a composed face as the lift doors closed.

The doors closed with a slight hiss, and immediately Nadia scowled. That damned Solomon! It was bad enough that it was denying Nadia access to the ships inner workings, but it also patronized her! A red light began to blink rapidly near Nadia's ear as she transmitted a code to Solomon remotely, entirely in binary. Request: Refain from such shows of ego. Deemed unnecessary.
01010010 01100101 01110001 01110101 01100101 01110011 01110100 00111010 00100000 01010010 01100101 01100110 01100001 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100110 01110010 01101111 01101101 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101111 01110111 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01100101 01100111 01101111 00101110 00100000 01000100 01100101 01100101 01101101 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110101 01101110 01101110 01100101 01100011 01100101 01110011 01110011 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

The lift doors opened to the main deck. Briskly Nadia moved to the navigators seat and began the process of pre-departure. She pulled a cord from her wrist and plugged it into the navigators station. Nadia's facial display disappeared as she began the long process of reporting their landing and departure, as well as aligning star maps and contacting warp gate control.

THE NAVIGATOR

Last edited:

Once the navigation protocols were set and confirmed, the IFS Artemis lifted and glided smoothly out of the prison's hangar. While they weren't afforded the luxury to see their own departure, a heavy burden was lifted off the prisoner's shoulders — or maybe that feeling was the minor change in gravity as the ship left the atmosphere. In any case, the feeling would be replaced with the weight of their anticipated arrival at Lunar Gate Penitentiary.

./ 04 APR | 21:15

Approaching the well-known giant, Jupiter, the Artemis sailed straight for its strategically placed warp gate. Heavy metal held the circular structure together and at the current distance, the gate appeared to be dormant — merely a hunk of technology suspended in space. However, as the ship edged closer, colors of red and purple filled the vacant space as the gate whirled to life.

Passing through the warp gate, the vibrant colors that welcomed them transitioned to muted shades of grey. It was a common occurrence passing whilst warping as the ‘tunnel’ that connected two warp gates together was often devoid of colors.

“Colors are historically important in almost every culture. They encourage expression, creativity, and imagination.” SOLOMON floated aimlessly behind the navigator, its main lens pointed toward the viewport. “What would happen if all of that was taken away?” Without waiting for an answer, SOLOMON turned and wandered elsewhere.

./ 05 APR 01:56

The Artemis bloomed back to life with color as it reached the endpoint of the first warp. Where was the Artmeis now?

Nowhere.

Technically, it is in between the Carina Leporis system and the Acallaris system.

SOLOMON observed Legionnaire Daisy as she made her assessments on the prisoners after their initial warp. For those that were new to warping, it was common to experience minor headaches and nausea but for the more experienced, a slight chill down their spine. After the cognizant finished her assessment with Kai, only then did the A.I. decide to speak up.

“Did you know that daisies are associated with innocence and purity in many cultures? Fitting for Legionnaire Daisy, don’t you think?”

SOLOMON offered a split-second pause before responding, “No, of course, you don’t.”

./ 05 APR 02:43

The IFS Artemis was nearing their second warp gate, approximately twenty minutes away when a distress signal was received.

“A distress signal,” SOLOMON repeated the information that was displayed in front of Nadia. “Per the Solymus Intergalactic Federation Instruction eleven dash five: during a time of peace, all able legionnaires are required to respond to any distress signals en route as to uphold the core value of the Solymus Intergalactic Federation: pax inter astra.”

SOLOMON turned to Nadia, the fellow A.I.’s code still (somewhat) fresh in its cache memory. “Legionnaire Valentine should be notified.”
GM POST

Remembrance Remembrance Chaos Gallant Chaos Gallant Abhartach Abhartach Sierra-Alpha Sierra-Alpha Ayan Ayan Firelie Firelie idiot idiot Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Kovacs Kovacs

Last edited:
ANDRAIS SHARR
In the cold, stillness of Sentinel Sharr's quarters, a humming noise of actuators filled the square-room. Sharr had been conducting diagnostics — a part of his preparatory ritual, a final check before the ship translated through the warp gate. Lifting a special-made dumbbell, the sensor arrays within his mechanical limbs fed readout data to Sharr's HUD; servo-rotation speed, weight-load, sensor response times and more. His monitor beeped twice, the soft cyan glow illuminating the darkness. Sharr threw it a quick glance, it was a notification that Sharr did not expect. Cybernetic optics clicking audibly as they shifted down to the weight again. Once he would this for exercise, to give function and form to his fleshy, red muscles. To feel the ache beneath his limbs, the salty sweat upon his skin. Now the Sentinel merely tests the synthetic, cold hydraulics of his automatonlike bulk. He settled his equipment against the pristine floor, rising from his smart-material bed and moving over to the desk.

He leaned over, metal digits clicking to input his login code, the cool light bathing his dark-grey body and the skull-trophy behind him. The midnight lenses focused on the notification, Sharr been surprised though he shouldn't have been. A loud, grinding crack reverberated as Sharr flexed his digits against each other on his hands. With a thought, the alcove in his left thigh snapped open, revealing the long-barreled pistol hidden within. He took it into his robotic hand, squeezing the rubberized grips and turning it over to examine it. They'll be needing more than this if the situation is exceptionally dire. A digitized grunt as Sharr looked away, stowing the firearm as he made his way to the sliding door.

------------------------------------​

The doors to the main deck slid away with a hiss as Andreas Sharr's towering form blocked the light from the illuminants behind him. He entered quietly, like a cutpurse stalking the dim, rank alleyways. Before the digital vocal-chords whirred to life, producing that signature dry, dead timbre to fill the cockpit, the sloping grey-and-white surface came up behind the holographic starchart. "A distress signal?" Said Sharr, the voicebox crackling harshly. His arms crossed against his bare-metal chest, the necklace of predatory teeth hanging low from his neck. "Identity, keel tags, communication channels?" The Sentinel asked, pertinent information for rescue, recording, and adequate response if need be. A brief silence followed Sharr's words, interspersed with the low drone of the deck's computational activity. He shifted his head towards SOLOMON. "And yes, we will respond. As per our duty." Duty and Sharr preempting Rollo's thoughts on the matter, their Captain would've wanted them to mount a rescue operation regardless.

"Forewarned is forearmed." Sharr spoke the proverb. "I'll grant access to the armoury for a brief window." He went on. Any manner of situation could have befallen the disabled ship; from mechanical failures to hostile predation. The latter of which was what worried Sharr the most, perhaps it was bias, but the former soldier has had his fair share of unsettling experiences with space travel. The void, like the vast oceans of Ao-5, are a breeding ground for predators lurking in the dark. The civilian vessels were most vulnerable, built more for luxurious amenities, rather than rugged, rough combat. An easy target for crouching pirates and plunderers alike. Silently, he hoped that this vessel hadn't suffered such a fate.

"Will we inform our prisoners of this?" Sharr asked the other occupants of deck, primarily Rollo.

THE SENTINEL

Loane Earlier

With the kitchen prepared, including grabbing a few things from her room, Loane started cooking. Laying the fish on a counter, she started by descaling it and disposed of said scales, they were essentially just waste material. Then she got to the grisly work. She first removed the many fins, placing them together in a pile. After that, her claws raked against parts of the fillet to separate the skeleton from the meat, including the large tooth-like bone at the front. before removing the organs, she used a tentacle to lift the fish above a pot and then began to drain the blood.

Since that would take about a minute, she shifted her focus to chopping some Terran derived chilies and peppers, using a Feliak-designed tail blade-like knife, her hands simply resting at her sides while her tail did the work. A handful of other herbs were then treated similarly, before a tentacle lifted the cutting board and added what lay on top of it to a pressure cooker. Now that the fish was mostly absent of blood she laid it on the counter and began to gut it.

Her claws slid easily through the flesh of the creature, and her tentacles cut through organ connections and extracted them the same way they would wires and electrical components in a busy circuit box. She added all save the circular intestines to the same pressure cooker. She took a vial of Flito Esnom juice and added a healthy amount to the pressure cooker. As it began to bubble, she placed the lid on it, and began to cut the fish into fillets.

A few minutes later she lifted the pressure cooker's lid to reveal the red goo that remained, and then added all the bones, closing it again and turning it on. She started to sear each of the fillets, while a tentacle added a few spices to the blood, before adding heat and chicken stock, as well as some butter, allowing it to thicken into a sauce. As the fillets finished, she returned to the pressure cooker, and opened it, before using another tentacle to roughly rice the softened bones within it, letting them absorb the organ juices.

Finally, it was time to plate, with a bed of the bone rice, a fillet placed on top, and then the blood sauce put over that. She ensured there was a plate for everyone with minimal waste. She announced dinner was done, and then used her tentacles to grab three plates, bringing them down to the brig, regardless of what anyone else said. When she arrived in the brig, she nodded towards the prisoners.

"Fish nom, enjoy. You shouldn't be allergic. If you don't want it, let another one of you eat it again."

And with that, she returned to her duties.
THE MECHANICUS

First, the translations.
Flito Esnom translates to fleshgoo fruit. The Flito fruit is not acidic beyond normal citrus ph levels, a common misconception. Instead, the juices contain a variety of enzymes that rupture the membrane of cells lacking a cell wall, reducing most organics to a vague meat slurry. Used cleverly, not only can this reduce things to an edible meat goo, it can also soften parts such as bones to be made into a rice like food, a common use of it in Feliak cooking. The juice itself, after being neutralized (it can only affect so much matter before its enzymes become too deformed to function) is sweet and citrus-like.

Now, as for why the prisoners are fed, within Feliak culture, fish is always a feast meal, as such, everyone in the Makri, even undesirables, are to join the feast.

Last edited:
NADIA

There wasn't a moment Nadia was away from her navigators station during the leg of the journey. It was one of the benefits of Nadia's autonomous existence. She was mostly silent during the trip, whatever personality that shown through her plastic exterior retreated as she focused on her work. Piloting was why she was allowed to be on the ship after all, allowed to be a part of something, allowed to be among the stars. It was a requirement that she do as perfect a work as she could, and thus it was the only time she was able to completely subdue her normally overflowing emotions and become as she once was, a machine.

Nadia didn't turn from her duties as the distress signal reached the ship. By the time Solomon had reminded her of protocol, she had already reached out to the vessel. "Distress signal Acknowledged." Nadia blurted loud enough for the captain to hear. "IFS Artemis communication channels open, unable to establish communications with vessel. Vessel data encrypted. I suspect this is an ambush, an unknown vessel with an encryption so close to a warp gate." Nadia spoke differently when she navigated, less hesitant and much less cautious. For the first time in the two hours since the Artemis's journey began, Nadia unplugged herself from her station and stood, turning to face Rollo as Sharr entered the room and started asking questions.

"The ship is not responding to communication requests and any identifying data has been encrypted in the distress signal, other than the fact that there is 'distress.' I can break the encryption, but it will take me upwards of thirty minutes with just a distress signal to work off of." Nadia moved briskly from her navigators booth sat below the entrance and captain's station and up towards the group. She was still connected to the station remotely though, evident by the dull red blinking of light in her head. "I elect we prepare for confrontation and move in." Suddenly, Nadia's hand shot up into a salute as she addressed Captain Valentine, an entirely unnecessary formality. "That is just a suggestion though. I will follow whatever orders you give, captain."

THE NAVIGATOR

Last edited:
ROLLO VALENTINE

A cool wind rushed by as Rollo daydreamed running through the forests of Lunara once more, with Gunther and Freddie. He remembered the first time they’d hunted together without their father, Artemis’ light bathed the dark forest in her light. An auspicious night, they hunted under Full Huntress Moon, their birth moon. They followed the scent of prey through the trees to their quarry, a Fenroc. The large flightless bird would be an excellent first catch for them. The hunting pack slowed its pace as the trees became sparse, they were close now, Rollo could see fresh prints just a few paces in front of them. He-

Loane’s call for dinner had Rollo hopping off of the treadmill, quickly turning off the device, and rushing back to his room. His stomach let out a small growl, an unneeded reminder for him to hurry up, and he certainly did. He made his way back to his quarters, washing off and putting his uniform back on in just a few minutes, then headed to the chow hall to enjoy.

Rollo was sitting at the desk in his quarters, reviewing the fourth volume of the LRS when he heard Nadia’s voice. His ears stood straight up as he set the book down onto his desk. “Standby, I’m coming up.” Rollo moved with a sense of urgency towards the main lift, walking out into the bridge. He gave her a salute of acknowledgement and listened intently as the Navigator explained the situation. Her and Sharr’s deductions were no doubt sound. “An ambush seems highly likely given the circumstances. However, it's also possible that they aren’t at liberty to transmit in the open due mission restrictions if this is a military craft. Nadia, change course to intercept the distress signal in accordance with Legion protocol, go ahead and begin working on that encryption when you can, we want as much information as we can work with. Solomon, get me a relay log of all the military ship’s that might have passed by this route within the last twenty-four hours, then assist the Nav with decryption.” Finally he looked to Andraiss, giving him a nod and walking over to the intercom panel. His voice sounded off across the ship. “This is Legionnaire Valentine, the Artemis has intercepted a distress signal en route to our next relay. In accordance with Solymus Intergalactic Federation Instruction eleven dash five, we will be adjusting course to respond and provide assistance as necessary.”

Then he opened a private comm channel, speaking directly to Daisy and Loane, “Daisy, Loane, meet me and Sharr in at the armory, we'll be equipping our exo-suits at the highest defensive posture. At the moment, we don't know what sort of threats this ship ran into, but an ambush is currently our most likely course of action. I’ll explain more once we’ve gathered and suited up.” He released his hand from the comm panel stepping away from it and walking with Andraiss to the lift, “We’ll get geared up and then I’ll brief us all back on the bridge. I guess our first mission’s not going to be as boring as I thought after all.” Though the circumstances were less than favorable at the moment, Rollo was both anxious and excited. Either they were in for some action, or they had a chance to save some lives, maybe both. It was much more what he’d been expecting that they would be assigned too as Honor Graduates, and he was determined to make the most of this opportunity.
THE ALPHA

Remembrance Remembrance Abhartach Abhartach Sierra-Alpha Sierra-Alpha Ayan Ayan Firelie Firelie idiot idiot Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Kovacs Kovacs Beann Beann

KAI
Kai was lying down on their cot, their legs crossed. They twiddled their thumbs as they stared blankly at the ceiling; they were ruminating about their life and future — along with some other unremarkable matters.

It'd been a while since their cognizant, Daisy, had evaluated them and the other prisoners. Kai thought she was a nice lady, if a bit eccentric. Maybe it would've been nice to chat a bit while she was still in the brig... It was a shame that their evaluation was followed by yet another cold-circuited A.I. rebuke. It was two too many for today, Kai figured.

Either way, the cognizant made her way out of this hole shortly after, leaving the prisoners to mingle with themselves. It's a shame that it seems to be a fruitless venture, though; the other prisoners weren't great conversation partners, but it wasn't like Kai was doing any better to fix that.

Looks like all they could do was wait...

...for the approaching footsteps of a mechanicus, apparently. And not only that, it looks like she came with a truly appetizing arrays of aromas.

Kai sat up, directing their eyes toward Loane as she moved with brisk steps towards the brig. In a demonstration of her peculiar physiology, it appears that her remarkably long tail was... grasping onto a trio of plated meals.

Actual. Meals.

Loane responded to Kai's shameless ogling of the food with a quick nod.

Whatever stray thoughts remained about the intricacies of Loane's kind was hastily punted out by the prospect of enjoying a proper meal. And to think they had belittled himself over the seemingly impossible fantasy not too long ago...

If this was the crew's way of making their prisoners play nice, it was definitely working. For Kai, anyway.

One quick shimmer of the barrier later, and there it was: a row of three meals on the floor presented themselves to the prisoners. Kai had barely noticed the departure of their benefactor, and without hesitation, they stood up from the cot and began to make cautious steps towards their salvation.

Indiscriminately picking up one of the plates, Kai allowed themself to be engulfed by the aroma radiating from the meal; they breathed deeply while examining the blood red visage of the fillets and grains, and it reminded them of... curry, maybe? There's clearly more crimson in this one, though. Perhaps literally; the distinctive scent of iron is unmistakable.

Kai had returned to the cot by now, and they sat up with their legs crossed while gripping the edge of the plate tightly. Tentatively lancing one of the fillets with their fork, Kai sweeped up some of sauce along with a bunch of grains. Giving the meal one last look over, Kai lifted the food into their mouth.

It was...

DELICIOUS.

Kai's reaction could likely be chalked up to reluctantly eating nothing but prison slop for the past few months, but it was undeniable that this was a very pleasant meal. It was almost good enough to allude to a 21st century film about food and rodents. Almost.

It wasn't long before the plate was, regrettably, bereft of its delectable riches. The few straggling grains of rice were picked off one-by-one until only a few trace smears of sauce remained — the remnants of a great culinary empire.

With a content sigh, Kai gently laid the plate to rest on the floor, the clattering of a fork following shortly after, before swinging their legs back over the cot.

"Anyone else expect first-class service on this prison barge?" Kai languidly spoke, directing the question to nobody in particular.

The psion laced their fingers behind their head, returning to pointless rumination and once again staring towards the ceiling.

It's a shame things are only going to get worse.

They thought they were referring to the penitentiary.
THE PSION

Last edited:

“You got it, boss.” SOLOMON responded as the ship’s A.I. went silent, sifting through public logs. What would have taken ten to fifteen minutes of searching turned into forty-seven seconds thanks to the smart machine. “Three military vessels utilized this route within the past twenty-four hours. The logs confirm that they have passed through the second warp gate with no indication of backtracking so the possibility of the distressed ship being military affiliated is about the same as the possibility of Legionnaire Maverni volunteering to part with her tail.” SOLOMON reported.

Like a checklist, the A.I. then moved on to its next task: assisting the Navigator with decryption. The encryption method that was used was antiquated but it would still take both Nadia and SOLOMON seven minutes and thirty-nine seconds to crack it. Their efforts would come to fruition as the ship’s name and crew manifest was uncovered.

CREW MANIFEST, SSE-3 POLARIS “PIONEER”
CAPTAIN MARCO DE GENNARO
LIEUTENANT MARINA KLINGHOFFER
HEAD OF RESEARCH, DR. YAN FENG
HEAD OF ENGINEER, ERIC HJERTSSON
HEAD OF SECURITY, OFFICER STEFAN MIKLOS

For any legionnaire who paid attention during their historical courses, the SSE-3 POLARIS was one of the first vessels launched by Earth with the intention of colonizing Solea YM-27. Unfortunately, the spaceship never established contact, and many attempts to search for the vessel were unsuccessful. That was about one hundred and eighty-three years ago though.

1698020012372.png
GM POST

Remembrance Remembrance Chaos Gallant Chaos Gallant Abhartach Abhartach Sierra-Alpha Sierra-Alpha Ayan Ayan Firelie Firelie idiot idiot Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian

ROLLO VALENTINE

Rollo’s ears quirked as he processed the information, ‘A long lost Terran colonization ship, how interesting…’ His thoughts swirled, reevaluating the plan he’d been formulating as he and Andraiss arrived at the Armory. As soon as they entered he sought out his own equipment, beginning to don his gear while they waited for Daisy and Loane.

Once the four had gathered, Rollo called back to the bridge to tell Nadia to listen in before beginning his briefing, “At the moment, we’re dealing with the SSE-3 POLARIS, an old colonization ship from Earth that went missing nearly two centuries ago. We still haven’t received any communications aside from the distress signal leading me to believe two possibilities. Firstly, the ship was found by pirates and they are now leading us into an ambush knowing that Federation protocol requires Legion intervention for distress signals. I find this to be the most likely as there had been no reports prior to this from any of the other military ships that had passed through this corridor within the past fifteen minutes. However, the second possibility is that the POLARIS has managed to drift back into known space after its disappearance, still emitting its last message after all these years. In either case, this is a delicate situation. We’ll be taking full precautions, exo-suits and armaments are hereby authorized. We all know the Legion’s policy for piracy, subdue and detain if able. However, if push comes to shove, I’m authorizing lethal force if necessary to retake the POLARIS.” The Alpha paused briefly to begin zipping his suit shut. “We’ll be proceeding in two two-man teams. Sharr and myself will enter first, once we establish what the immediate situation is, Loane and Daisy, you will follow after us. We’ll do a full investigation of the ship to find out exactly how the POLARIS went missing and then ended up out here.”

Rollo slid the blade his father had gifted him into the sheath on his right thigh, slipping his sidearm into the holster on his left. “Any questions?” Rollo looked at each of them, waiting for any lingering curiosities they might have.

"If either you or Sharr are dispatched or don’t respond ni to contact, what actions should we perform?"

“Hmm.” Rollo thought for a moment before answering, “Expect us to check-in every ten minutes, if for any reason we don’t respond, have Solomon provide a bioscan to verify our status. If that fails, assume the worst. Nadia will have the hammer on whether to continue with any possible rescue attempts or to scuttle the ship if it comes to that. Speaking of, Nadia, I want you and Solomon to find out as much about POLARIS and its crew as you can. Anything from cargo to what species the original crew consisted of to whether or not they had cryo facilities onboard. Anything else?”

"Don't die, that would be inconvenient."

“Agreed.” He nodded, slightly snorting in amusement to Loane's deadpan advice.
THE ALPHA

ANDRAIS SHARR
The armoury hummed with the low murmurs of Andrais' internals, the clicks and hiss of his equipment as they settled on his body. The cyborg had donned a modified exo-suit for space traversal, better suited to near-fully mechanical body. The ex-soldier's mind was preoccupied with the details that he and Rollo were discussing before they lapsed into silence. A final click as Sharr's maglocks held onto the weapons that he chose for this mission. The quiet was broken when Solomon's voice echoed over their preparation, informing them of the crew manifest and identity of the vessel.

Vessels of history, huh? The Sentinel mused. Even with the distress signal, it's a miracle that the Artemis crossed its path at all. Let's hope the fortune doesn't just end at the ramp.

Once they've rendezvoused together, Sharr listened in as Rollo explained the finer details of their operation. Imperceptibly, his right index digit twitched, partly out of buried reflex and subconscious feelings on the matter. He's seen his share of combat on the matter, but ship-boarding was far outside his purview. He'd been cross-trained on it both times, in the military and the Legionnaire academy. He clenched his fist, and with a thought-command, produced a serrated set of studs on his knuckles, an electrified crack as the studs were bathed in a blue energy. He inclined his head. Now looking to Daisy and Loane.

"Prioritize ship schematics. Goes without saying, honestly. Will make the job safer and faster if we knew all the nooks and crannies." Sharr began to move, soft metallic footfalls against the hard metal floor. "We'll be doing standard boarding insertion. Once inside, Valentine, I'll take point, you watch our six." He shifted his head. Shooting one midnight blue glance at the Lunaran. Have the heavy armour in front, he knows that both of their bodies could withstand heavy punishments, however, Sharr would rather put himself first, the exo-skeletal frame could endure heavy strikes without downtime, whereas their Captain would need a moment to regenerate and scab the wound. At least that is how Sharr rationalized it. He did not respond to Loane's joking prod at them, at least directly. The trio could hear a low, grating sound - a raucous synth-chuckle ringing hollow against the Artemis' interior.

"Ready?" He asked.
THE SENTINEL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back