New and I RP from really weird things? Maybe something will interest you.

Softspokenmedic

Shrine Maiden
Hello there, I'm new to RPNation but not RP as a whole. I have over a decade and half of experience under my belt and felt like reaching out there more in hopes of finding new friends to roleplay with. You can call me Jordan, I'm too old.

Fandoms I enjoy RPing from:

The Slayers

Speed Grapher

Team Fortress 2

Resident Evil

Final Fantasy 7

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Vocaloid

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Yowamushi Pedal

(Feel free to fire something off, I might just be into it :D )

Of course I'm open to original stuff as well, I know some of my fandoms are rather old, odd or rare but if I do find someone to RP with it will be an absolute joy. I know a lot of anime but I'm not really into big name shounen stuff, it just never appealed to me. I'm fine playing M/F and F/F and I adore fluff and all things cute and awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jordan, I'm an old school role-player myself. Over a decade and a half since I started too. Have you been able to locate a role play partner, or group yet? If not, do tell me about the original stuff you've been involved with. I'm new here as well.

Raker said:
Hey Jordan, I'm an old school role-player myself. Over a decade and a half since I started too. Have you been able to locate a role play partner, or group yet? If not, do tell me about the original stuff you've been involved with. I'm new here as well.
Hello, I just started here yesterday late last night so I haven't really looked into anything too much. I don't have any partners yet.

Softspokenmedic said:
Hello, I just started here yesterday late last night so I haven't really looked into anything too much. I don't have any partners yet.
That's fair. I've not been on here for very long either. I lurked for a while before signing up, but nothing has really caught my fancy just yet. I'm very specific in what I'm looking for, and that's essentially a 1on1 that'll allow me to test and develop a certain character (or characters) that I intend to then use for the novel I'm working on. That doesn't mean of course that I would neglect the RP once I'm "done". In fact I don't think I would ever be "done" in that finite sense of the word, but rather keep going since characters, like people, tend to continually change and grow.

What about you, what are your goals in so far as role playing is concerned?

Raker said:
That's fair. I've not been on here for very long either. I lurked for a while before signing up, but nothing has really caught my fancy just yet. I'm very specific in what I'm looking for, and that's essentially a 1on1 that'll allow me to test and develop a certain character (or characters) that I intend to then use for the novel I'm working on. That doesn't mean of course that I would neglect the RP once I'm "done". In fact I don't think I would ever be "done" in that finite sense of the word, but rather keep going since characters, like people, tend to continually change and grow.
What about you, what are your goals in so far as role playing is concerned?
Well, I'm not too particular. I just like to have fun and escape reality, probably a lot of people play for that reason. I've always enjoyed writing but I've never had much confidence in myself trying to write a novel. I've wrote short stories and a bit of fanfiction but usually when I have to write all the characters and develop everything I get shy and nervous to show anyone. I know I worry too much.

Softspokenmedic said:
I've wrote short stories and a bit of fanfiction but usually when I have to write all the characters and develop everything I get shy and nervous to show anyone. I know I worry too much.
I'm almost certain you're selling yourself short. Reading and role-playing make for excellent practice when it comes to writing longer fiction, even though it might seem more daunting. One of the first manuscripts I worked on was essentially editing and then re-writing what was nothing short of back-and-forth role play posts. It was fairly difficult, if only because I had to find a way to homogenise the two opposite perspectives. But I digress.

I can relate to the escapism that role play represents. Being able to play as your alter-egos, involve your characters in stories and adventures that are grander in scope and importance than your boring, daily life is what it's all about. As you said, it's what most people do it for, and peripherally, why most people read fiction too. With role play you get the added benefit of partnership, knowing that you're in the same boat with someone else and that your character's story and their success somewhat depends on that cooperation with another person.

What about mechanics, then, what do you like in terms of length, description, and frequency? Do you prefer or mind the use of lengthy descriptive posts comprised of several paragraphs worth of narration and introspection, with dialogue when called for, or do you prefer shorter more succinct posts that leave the rest of the scene to your imagination? Do you want or expect several posts a day, to only role play on spontaneous chat media, or are you all right with one to two posts per day through some kind of postage media like here on the forums, personal message, or email?

I do like detailed posts. I usually like for my roleplay partners to at least do one paragraph. I usually am in more of the level of extremely detailed 3+ paragraphs because I like to focus on how the character is feeling and not just physical actions of a character. I hope that makes sense? I know there are times when a lot cannot be added and I do accept that as well. Basically, I am just really chill and try to go with the flow. I'm usually pretty fast at responding but I don't judge if someone needs time to respond back or needs to take a break for real-life reasons. I understand that sort of thing. Forums, personal message and email are all fine.

Do you only do original RP? Do you have any fandoms you are particularly interested in? I'm a bit lame but I don't know too much out of anime or video games. When did you get your start RPing? Mine was in the late 90's in AOL chatrooms and since then I've done livejournal and dreamwidth RP as well. Forums are new for me.

Softspokenmedic said:
I like to focus on how the character is feeling and not just physical actions of a character. I hope that makes sense?
It makes absolute sense. I do the same thing, I like to do a little decor and environmental description if it's relevant, physical description (including facial expressions or microexpressions), dialogue when it's called for, and introspection. Sometimes I'll write a description in a way that tells both readers something, without spoiling it for the characters.

Softspokenmedic said:
Do you only do original RP? Do you have any fandoms you are particularly interested in? I'm a bit lame but I don't know too much out of anime or video games. When did you get your start RPing? Mine was in the late 90's in AOL chatrooms and since then I've done livejournal and dreamwidth RP as well. Forums are new for me.
98% of the RPs I've ever done have been original. The only fandom RP I've ever done has been one for Ragnarok Online: The Animation, and that's about it. The current role playing I do takes the form of DMing a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, and that means original characters but in a pre-built setting such as Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk or Ravenloft. I'm not adverse to doing those kinds of RPs; where basically you have original characters but set the physical location within an existing cosmology. Like the Star Wars universe, or maybe the Harry Potter universe, etc. Those could be fun. It's a way of having your cake and eat it too, I suppose. I'm not very good at playing a pre-existing *character* though.

There aren't any fandoms that interest me really. I really do prefer building my own world, and with a partner it's even more fun because it sort of becomes your baby. Sometimes it grows beyond just what you wrote through text. You can make maps for it, you can have an artist draw your characters, you might even branch out with other characters and RPs but set within your own created setting.

Anyway I started RPing when I was 12 or so, like you in the late 90s although it was in the Yahoo chatrooms, not AOL. I had a livejournal too for a while, though I firebombed that thing after it got me into serious hot water with friends and love-interests because of what I was posting. I took that thing to be a real diary and of course I ranted and raved about all sorts of things that, surprise surprise when people read, no one liked.

Forums aren't completely new to me, though. I was on RPGateWay a while, but I generally prefer doing email RPs today. Maybe something on Skype if time allows. The reason I prefer the email method is because it really allows you to do a lot more in terms of back and forth, I like the notifications and the fact that it guarantees I read it. If I were to give you my email, you could rest assured I'd be checking it several times a day throughout the day.

So what do you say Jordan, wanna take a chance on me as a possible RP partner? :3

I'm fond of Ragnarok online, that MMO brings back good memories for me and I've seen the anime as well. I consider the anime a guilty pleasure of mine. I spent most of my time playing as a Dancer and Priestess. I must admit I don't know anything about Dungeons and Dragons or even Star Wars. I used to be a little bit into Harry Potter but I'm seriously so out of the loop I don't think I would feel comfortable playing in that world.

We could world build. I have had a few original characters in the past but the one I played the most was also from a pre-established world (Team Fortress 2) I'd love to message you through email and play and see sort of what else you are looking for in a RP. I love romance but I kind of like it to be a side thing because awkward romantic tension is way more fun. I have skype but I would need to remind myself to log in, I just don't really use it at all but if I have a reason to I could do so.

Excellent, I'll send you a PM with my info. World building sounds lovely, and I'm right there with you on Romance, it's a good complement to a RP, and can serve to grow the characters more, but it shouldn't take center stage unless there's some kind of destiny-like reincarnation plot, and if not done well even those can be meh. But we'll talk more about it over email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back